Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

When is the review embargo up?

Less than 24 hours I believe so by tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The absolute worst I am hearing about the game is that it is 'Just Another Open World Game', and...I am torn. I mean, there are more than enough positive reviews to indicate that it would be a good time if you are into those games, and I generally do like open world games, and I like Sucker Punch, but on the other while I am not down on the game I wasn't really excited for it either; just merely interested if it was good.

I mean, it is good that the game is good (great even) at the stuff it does but it is not enough to get me off the fence. I guess I will see how I feel about getting this in a few days when it comes out and see how the new Paper Mario (Another game I was interested in that has its own baggage) turns out.

I hope this makes sense and I am not crapping on anyone who is looking forward to this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

blue squares posted:

I wish I hadn't just sped my way through a replay of Horizon Zero Dawn and the DLC, since I am a bit more open-world weary than I would be otherwise, but still excited!

Honestly that is where I am at, only it is not a replay but an ongoing project.

I need to get back to that, though I am a little bitter right now because I stumbled on a spoiler (Did not read the whole thing, but read enough to infer stuff, though they may be right or wrong, to be fair) on a wikia entry on GEESE in the game, of all things. I just wanted a bigger ammo pouch :argh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

free hubcaps posted:

reviews seem to be ranging from "solid if formulaic" to "must buy", though based on metacritic they seem to be trending more towards the latter

re: how this game is being received in Japan, famitsu gave it a perfect score, apparently only the third western game they've given one to.
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1649

also it seems kind of funny that apparently opposite to a lot of people's fears, the stealth elements are kind of mediocre and the swordplay is excellent

To be kind about it, Famitsu perfect scores do not mean as much as they have used to. They gave Nintendogs a perfect score.

Still, going by opencritic, despite the notable negative reviews the game is generally liked.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 15, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well my local street date breaking store got the game so I decided to grab it, despite still being on the fence and not being completely swayed by the reviews. Cautiously optimistic here.

Edit: going back in the thread and supervised to see someone say that the kotaku review was positive? I only read the first and last paragraphs but he seemed more down on the game than anything.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 16, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Firstborn posted:

I'm curious what that goon who got the game early thinks!
e: Excellent, sounds good. It comes out tomorrow, right?

Not sure if you were referring to me or Der Shovel but to give some quick impressions.

- The game looks brilliant with HDR, though I find nights are too damned dark on the recommended brightness calibration (Which was...uh, all the way to zero...).

- Combat, even where I am at, is actually surprisingly good. And lethal! I am not the best player but I had quite a few deaths so far.

- That said, targeting is slightly unreliable; there were times when I found myself wailing on one dude when I am trying to hit the guy next to him.

- Standoffs are satisfying

- I have not progressed far enough to comment to stealth except to say it is rudimentary at this point.

- One of the best aspects so far is the world, through in world dialogue and indicators, drip feeds stuff for you. This feels so much better than AssCreeds "Here is a map full of fuckin Question Marks. Go get em". The question marks do still exist, don't get me wrong, but they only tend to appear if the area you have explored is close to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I fell off of the game (still in the southern part of the island at least) so I am mostly getting the PS5 upgrade as an excuse to get back into it