Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm truly sorry there is no goku option but I want this to be scientific
I would like to be able to fly
I would like a billion dollars
View Results

naem
May 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

thats silly, even a green lantern ring? you could steal money pretty easy with a green lantern ring. or just make some, money is green after all

if you’re immortal you can put money into a long term investment and just wait a century for it to grow into millions

what good are superpowers if you get old and die? (read this post in a supervillain voice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

if you’re immortal you can put money into a long term investment and just wait a century for it to grow into millions

what good are superpowers if you get old and die? (read this post in a supervillain voice)

when you die your soul goes to the outer plane most suited to your alignment. trapping yourself in the prime material plane is for cowards. join the blood war

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

naem posted:

Eh, I'll do it later, I've got time.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Anything more than like 10 million dollars isn't going to really improve my life any more because I'd have a mansion and cars and anything else I could want, and I could probably make a ton of money with my flight ability either in showmanship or enterprise, plus I'll also be a celebrity by default and people will think I'm a god or superhero or something so I'll go with flying

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 12, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
10 million really doesn't seem like all that much.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean like 5 million dollar big rear end house compound, Lamborghini Aventador is only like $500k... and then what else? Furnish the house for $100k? I'm struggling to find ways to spend that much money. Plus I'm sure I could make way more if needed.

Conversely this is why anyone who has more than like, $100 million should be subject to a 99.9% tax because oh no what will they do with only $99 million dollars

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A single Emirates Residence class flight is in the $30000 range, these things add up (probably won't need those with flight, though - just an example). I'm going to need a lot more than 10 million.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 12, 2020

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

AHH F/UGH posted:

I mean like 5 million dollar big rear end house compound, Lamborghini Aventador is only like $500k... and then what else? Furnish the house for $100k? I'm struggling to find ways to spend that much money. Plus I'm sure I could make way more if needed.

Conversely this is why anyone who has more than like, $100 million should be subject to a 99.9% tax because oh no what will they do with only $99 million dollars

*in extremely QOTSA voice* C.c.c.c.c.c.c.c.c.cocaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiinnnneeeeeeeeeeeeee

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Billion probably. Flying I would very likely accidentally kill myself, so many unknown dangers. And if not I would almost certainly become a medical test for cia/nsa whatever.

I would definietly not keep the money, gently caress being a billionaire.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fame Douglas posted:

It’s nothing if you want ‘stuff’ in your life. You can’t own and run a private jet on that (assuming the rest of your lifestyle is the same).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

its enough to buy a cabin in the woods, a life time supply of beans, and a fishing rod. maybe even a row boat. what more would you even want in life

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I’m not saying you’ll only ever have 10 million, I’m just saying I could probably easily get at least that much with my flying powers in some way, and that’s enough for basically anyone to live a more than comfortable lifestyle and the difference in what you can do with 10 million and 1 billion isn’t a lot

naem
May 29, 2011

10 million principle, invested, would bring in something like $200k a year free magic money to live on that just shows up with no effort on your part forever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you could make a decent wage being one of those guys who harvests bird nests from the side of a cliff for chinese soup

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'll take a billion flies that do as I command.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There are so many unhappy billionaires out there. Know why? They can't fly, with the birds.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

naem posted:

the only super power i’d trade a billion dollars for would be immortality

so shortsighted

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

naem posted:

the only super power i’d trade a billion dollars for would be immortality

Joke will be on you in 10 years when billionaires have an immortality serum and never die anyway. Thats right Elon Musk is going to tweet for the rest of human history.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Walrus posted:

There are so many unhappy billionaires out there. Know why? They can't fly, with the birds.

Famously happy group: The Broke and Unemployed

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Money can’t buy happiness but it can buy a lot less stress.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not being a sad sack I can guarantee that I won't be unhappy for a single day as soon as I get my Billion. If you're rich but still unhappy, you should have your wealth redistributed as you obviously can't handle it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

op I'm loving terrified of flying so toss me a billion bucks and maybe I can have a roof that doesn't leak anymore. Because that would be really nice. :smith:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Could I get $550 million and the ability to glide?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gleebster posted:

Could I get $550 million and the ability to glide?

Yes, it's called a "paraglider". But you're in luck, they're way cheaper than $450 Million!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
There been thousands of billionaires, thousands of monarchs, thousands of supremely talented leaders/movement starters/politicians, thousands of heroes, etc. There are millions of "Very Important People" that have been completely forgotten.

But to be the one person in all of recorded history that could fly? It might not be as "good" as being a billionaire but you'd never be forgotten (and unless you were a total dick about it, you'd be the most popular individual in the world). You would undoubtedly make millions off of the endorsements, cameos, interviews, and whatever business you set up to capitalize on your talents/popularity.

However, you do the run the risk of assassination or random accident but so does any celebrity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why would you want to show people? i would fly into the mountains to meditate and train flying kungfu like piccolo, for the day the earth needs me

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

With a billion dollars I could get a blowjibber from a super model

But flying I could get a blowjibber from God

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I had a billion dollars I could bankroll a second season of Terriers. Clearly the best option.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I had a billion dollars I could bankroll a second season of Terriers. Clearly the best option.

That was a great show! I'd also like another season of The Unusuals and Rubicon.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

so how does flight holding people work. do they feel heavy on your back? like would anyone over a hundred pounds for a few minutes feel impossible and you'd drop them?

if you can fly with whatever weight on you then the military would probably just make you a prisoner to deliver bombs faster or something

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Inept posted:

if you can fly with whatever weight on you then the military would probably just make you a prisoner to deliver bombs faster or something

Not if your first move is to fly to a country that probably won't weaponize you or sell you out to a major power, like Switzerland or something.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
A billion dollars.

I'll just buy a private jet and fly that way.

naem
May 29, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

so shortsighted

how?? what good are a billion dollars if you’re dead

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

naem posted:

how?? what good are a billion dollars if you’re dead

Immortality is definitely considered a curse by anyone who thinks about it for more than five minutes. It has as many, if not more, caveats than flight. You'll always be changing identities so have fun losing everyone you ever form a connection with again, if you don't you'll be hunted down and captured. Every single time you cheat death you risk people seeing/recording it. Immortality may make you invulnerable to death but not invulnerable to being stuck in a cell. What happens to a persons thought process after thousands of years of life? Will you get bored of everything and everyone and find everyone else completely unrelatable for eternity?

And best of all, have fun not being able to die when the world ends.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
If I could fly, I could make far more than a billion dollars making other people believe that I could teach them to fly too. :911:

edit: I wouldn't want the ability to fly unless I could do it without anyone else possibly knowing. Once discovered, I would lose my identity and become known as either the person that let others fly, or the rear end in a top hat that let them down. I don't think I could survive knowing that I had a bunch of Make a Wish foundation requests that I couldn't possibly fulfill in time.

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 12, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

If I could fly, I could make far more than a billion dollars making other people believe that I could teach them to fly too.

Seems like too much work. I think I'd go with the exclusivity, by offering to pick up and fly billionaires so they could experience flight. You could even offer it when they're on their deathbed, in exchange for their inheritance money.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

PinheadSlim posted:

I read a very good short story where this happened to a poorly educated Scottish prostitute.

naem
May 29, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Immortality is definitely considered a curse by anyone who thinks about it for more than five minutes. It has as many, if not more, caveats than flight. You'll always be changing identities so have fun losing everyone you ever form a connection with again, if you don't you'll be hunted down and captured. Every single time you cheat death you risk people seeing/recording it. Immortality may make you invulnerable to death but not invulnerable to being stuck in a cell. What happens to a persons thought process after thousands of years of life? Will you get bored of everything and everyone and find everyone else completely unrelatable for eternity?

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Seems like too much work. I think I'd go with the exclusivity, by offering to pick up and fly billionaires so they could experience flight. You could even offer it when they're on their deathbed, in exchange for their inheritance money.

True, but I think it would be even easier to fly to the Scientology HQ with an endorsement agreement and a pen. In this thought experiment, it would play out like the deal Michael Jackson struck with Pepsi, but with an added 90's Microsoft "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" tactic for the good of mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

What is this garbage. The real problem with immortality is being stuck on the husk of earth after the sun has gone supernova.