Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Renault "Renny" Pennysworth
code:
HP: 5/5 Stress: 2/10 Corruption: 0/10
Treasures: Sour Potion
I fumbled around in the near darkness until my hands landed on some glass bottle with a semi-magical-looking mixture swirling within. I unstoppered the cork and took a tentative whiff. It smelled sour, but potent enough.

My thoughts were interrupted by the clang of metal doors slamming shut from the other room. I overheard someone saying something about trapped cages? I didn't want to bother with that.

After all, someone had discovered a passage leading downwards so I decided to pocket my nifty new consumable and take that path as well.

More junk scattered about below! Unless...

> E6) Just Junk: 1d20 18 - Nope, just junk...

A voice from the Glass Queen suddenly bid I move more quickly... so onward I pushed.

> Moving East from E6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Magda
W 5 / S 1 / C 0

"How I do treasure your love," Magda whispered tersley once the discomfort of the sending had passed.

She saw the damaged hinges on the gate, and began to attack it with kicks and nearby rocks.

And may I *clang* someday return it *clank* thousandfold *clang*"

Attacking the gate in C8: Damaged Gate (mechanical): 18

(Trying to move west/left from C8)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Name: Wilhelm Ream | Location: E3 | Heading: Right
HP: 5/5 | Stress: 1/10 | Corruption: 0/10
Treasure: Old Wine (Potion, Mundane)

"Hmm, a common vintage. Strange to find such down here. Oh well, not for me to consume or ponder and not worthy of the Queen. Perhaps someone else can use it? I'll carry it around,f or now."

WILHELM heads RIGHT.

Unknown Room: [TN?]: 1d20 3

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

GRAG posted:

Wounds: 04/05
Stress: 01/10
Corruption: 00/10
GRAG.

Eurgh. Ugh. GRAG felt this incessant needling dig into their skull, but had no time for the Queen's rambling.

Why? For there was DUNGEONG
cough, hack all this yelling isn't nice on the old vocal chords
DUNGEON to CHARGE THROUGH at MAXIMUM VOLUME.

"-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

(GRAG moves to [F] then heads right.)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The slaves of the Glass Queen went deeper.

[Round Seven]

"C3) Mysterious Church (Ancient, Holy, Safe Place) posted:

The hall gives way to an unspeakably ancient - and entirely unfamiliar - church. The floors curve smoothly up into walls, spiraling into fractal geometrics that sprout strange faces. The faces appear kind, however. Thank goodness. You can rest a bit. This is a safe place. [TN5]
  • Servilla - You take a breath. Lose one Stress. You may attempt to roll again as a free action versus the TN to try and lose another. The calm of the church soothes your anxieties, preventing the gain of an Ailment just in time.

"C5) Locked Gate (Mechanical) posted:

A heavy iron gate bars the path, inscribed with... mushrooms? Unless you have a Key, [TN15]
  • Johnson - The gate swings open, revealing the pathway beyond. The chamber becomes a safe place.
  • Vincenzo - The gate is open.
  • Pachel - The gate is open.

C8) Damaged Gate (Mechanical) posted:

A heavy iron gate bars the path, inscribed with... mushrooms? A stone has slammed heavily into it, damaging the hinges. Unless you have a Key, [TN5]
  • Magda - The gate clatters open, revealing the pathway beyond. The chamber becomes a safe place.

C9) Confessional (Ancient, Holy, Safe Place) posted:

Amidst the grandeur of this strange chtonic cathedral, you find this. A quiet box, and a mysterious voice. A perfect opportunity to get something off your chest... This is a safe place. [TN7]
  • Vincent - You speak a falsehood, and are stricken with guilt. Gain 1 Stress. Despite the effort of the Peaceful Engram, you also feel the effects of Stress wearing on you... gain the Hallucinations Ailment.

"D3) The Deep Vastness (Natural, Athletic, Heights) posted:

You find yourself in an impossibly tall pit with spiraling staircases running around the rim, all the way down. Grand, faded mosaics cover every inch of the walls, glowing here and there to artfully highlight some particular feature of interest. It would fill you with awe if it didn't fill you with acrophobic terror. If you are walking down the (guardless) stairs [TN5]. If you are falling, [TN15].
  • Crumbles - You keep walking down, down. You hear echoes of screams, and are uncertain if they're from your companions or some bygone adventurer. Continue to D4..

"E4) Test of Greed (Treasure, Mechanical) posted:

A cage lays on the ground, overturned. An already-pilfered chest is inside. This is a safe place.
  • Seth - You rest for a second; that was heavy!

E6) Just Junk (Treasure, Safe Place) posted:

You feel safe here. A pile of useless garbage. Unless.... no, it's just junk. Unless... [TN20]
  • Renault - Nope, just junk. What a waste of time.

""F) Splashdown (Safe Place, Ancient) posted:

You find yourself in a vast hall with five doors. This is a safe place. More of the same swirling architecture is evident, the walls and floors something like slick marble. The instant you step into the room, water begins to trickle in. [TN1]
  • Vinny - The water is fragrant and strangely slick to the touch. You may take a sip to convert 1 Stress to 1 Corruption if you wish. TN increases by 1 to 2.
  • Lydia - The water is fragrant and strangely slick to the touch. You may take a sip to convert 1 Stress to 1 Corruption if you wish. TN increases by 1 to 3.
  • Raphael - The water is fragrant and strangely slick to the touch. You may take a sip to convert 1 Stress to 1 Corruption if you wish. TN increases by 1 to 4.

----~New Chambers Unlocked~---
----~Codex has been updated~----

"C7) Fungal Fiend (Fungal, Decay, Enemy) posted:

Something growls in the darkness. A bear-sized... thing lurches into the phospherescent glow of floating spores. It points at you and says something unintelligible. When you don't respond fast enough, it charges, long fingers lashing out at your throat. You may not escape! [TN12]

"C10) Where There's Smoke... (Ancient, Fire) posted:

...Smoke is coming through holes in the ground. You can feel the heat. It's not safe to breath here. [TN13]

"E5) Tricky Staircase (Mechanical, Heights) posted:

You take a dozen steps onto the staircase before you hear a series of clicks. You only have time to blink before the stairs retract and rotate, leaving you standing on a slick incline. [TN8]

"E7) A Chance To Talk (Safe Place) posted:

There's stone that sort of look like chairs and a table. This is a safe place. You can talk to someone here. [No TN, just have a short conversation with a fellow Slave]

"H1) Equivalent Exchange (Safe Place, Treasure, Ancient) posted:

The chamber spirals in towards a central altar emblazoned with icons of exchange and rebirth. You intuit - or are informed, through some preternatural means - that should you leave something on the altar, it will be changed, somehow. This is a safe place. [TN10]

"I1) Lonely Oozemancer (Slime, Enemy) posted:

You stumble into a lonely creature dripping with ooze, who is about to scold you when he notices your supple flesh. "A warmblood," he says "do you mind if I take some samples?" Without waiting for your reply, a hooked tendril reaches out from within his robe towords you! [TN10]

"J1) Mushroom Grotto (Safe Place, Fungal) posted:

You feel safe here. A murky teal pond and clusters of mushrooms make for a strange resting place. The water is... unusual. You may heal 1 Wound in exchange for 3 Corruption.

"K1) Sick and Wet (Enemy) posted:

There's something here. It may have been a man once, but now it's wet and slippery, the skin hanging loosely. It comes at you with a rock. [TN10]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 22, 2020

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
The Late Johnson
HP: 5/5, Stress: 1/10 , Corruption: 0/10 | C5 > C7

"Ahaaaa! Doors are no match for The Late Johnson! Onwards!"

The Late Johnson moves to explore C7 and complete this loop on the bottom.

EDIT: It turns out C7 was explored and it had gribblies in it.

C7, Fungal Fiend (TN: 12). 1d20 = 16

Gribblies however ain't poo poo, versus The Late Johnson's mighty boot.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 22, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Raphael

HP: 5/5
Stress: 0/10
Corruption: 1/10

1 Stress> 1Corruption

"What are these mushrooms? This pond... I don't like this. There's gonna be some fish monster lurking there, or a mushroomonster waiting to pounce."

Advance without room interaction.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Stanky Johnson, C10
Wounds: 0/5
Stress: 1/10
Corruption: 0/10
Treas: Book of Fate (6)

Stanky Johnson peeks into the next room and coughs violently. He ducks back into the Confessional for a moment to catch his breath, and devises a plan.

"Everyone stand back, I have a plan! If I blow the smoke away, we'll be safe." Stanky Johnson takes a deep breath and charges through the smoke-filled room. "PFOOOOOOOOOO" 🌬️

Where There's Smoke...: 1d20 16
Move down.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Seth (Location: E4 -> E5)
Wounds: 5/5
Treasure:
Rusty Crowbar (Mundane) - A rusty, heavy slab of metal. Expend to permanently raise or lower the TN of Mechanical chambers by 1.
Canister of Tabula Rasa (Potion, Magic) - Didn't they stop making this in the 90s? You crack it open. It's still clearly refreshing! [As a free action, toss a coin. Heads, recover 1 Wound; Tails, recover 1 Stress]

Seth quickly follows Lionel into the new chamber...

and then hears the click of the stairs.

E5: Tricky Staircase: 1d20 6

Seth tumbles and slides forward as it knocks him off-balance.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jack | | Location: E3 -> E7
HP; 5/5, Stress: 0>1/10, Corruption: 0/10
Treasures:
Rat Tail Blade (Weapon, Mundane) - A crude weapon reeking of rats. Lower TN in [Enemy] chambers by 2. 2 Uses.

Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick
Jack talk with the strange looking slaves

Pass through E6 and to E7. E6 is a safe space so I think I can travel through it without spending an action.

"Hello. I'm Jack. Anyone else here from Earth?"

Anyone in E4 is probably better off taking the same route to E7 instead of risking E5.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Vinny McJeeves
HP: 5, Stress: 4, Corruption: 1
BOONS
Velocitized - You have fallen a great way and lived to tell the tale. You are immune to [Heights] chambers and may forego the roll inside. Additionally, gain +1 to [Athletic] chambers.

"Oh, Old Vinny doesn't have no exchange to make, nope, nothing of such grand values in the possession of poor Ol' Vinny."

"Doesn't need such fineries, nope, Old Vinny's done well without for his whole life..."

Move LEFT

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Vincenzo DeVries
HP 2/5
Stress 1/10
Corruption 0/10
Inventory: Mushroom Cap

Move to C10

Not safe to breath TN13: 1d20 5

Gasp!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pachel C5 -> C10
Health - 5
Stress- 3
Corrupt- 2

Hmph! All her efforts were wasted, again. She went over to help those guys open a stuck gate but by the time she got there it was open. How rude of them to not let her show how awesome she was!

Better to go down and see if she could find Joss somewhere. He was a smoker, so maybe that room with smoke was because of him?

Where there's smoke: 1d20 9

Going DOWN after c10

Slaan fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 18, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Jesse Georealm

D1 TN: 1d20 4

"God damnit" Jesse said whiping her hands on her Golden armor, the thick plate rattling as she tried to take a step down the stairs, her hair is a firey red, and her eyes are bright green. "Couldn't even give me a sword, I'm a knight o-" She looks down at the crumbling stairs, "Oh man this is not great," she gently tried to poke forward with one boot over the other. "Maybe I shouldn't be doing this in full plate" She found a loose bit of rope and grabbed it to help her climb downwards. She tried not to look at her feet and slipped, the rope the only thing available to break her fall.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 18, 2020

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Lydia Crawford, Duke's Daughter
HP: 5, Stress: 1, Corruption: 0

Lydia could only stare with mute disgust at the oily liquid bubbling from the floor. Despite its lurid smell and the temptation to quench her growing thirst, she ignored it and stepped through the door. Almost immediately, another dizzy spell caught up with her.

??? posted:

She'd fenced. An affectation. An excuse to be together as he trained.

No one expected a lady to fight, as 'twas doubtful a woman's strength would ever make much difference. They'd laughed and said so.

When her steps proved sure and her strikes precise, that laughter stilled.

Lonely Oozemancer posted:

"-some samples?"

She struggled to comprehend what he had said, this robed figure she'd staggered into, but violence was a language far easier to read. She ducked forward, past the whip-like appendage - it went for the face, exposed flesh - and quick-stepped in a circle behind the man, before shoving with all her remaining might and kicking where the back of knees should by all rights be.

He was still trying to reel in his appendage when he tumbled and the weight of a heel connected with his neck. Lydia leaned in, voice not much louder than a whisper.

"First blood."

I1 - Lonely Oozemancer: 1d20 14

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Servilla MMLVIII
HP: 5/5, Stress: 4/10, Corruption: 2/10, C3 to C9

Between the horrid book and Queen's call, she'd almost lost herself. Only the protection of unknown gods had saved her. Servilla thanked them for their blessings before she moved on.

Prayer (Free Action) C3 1d20=14

Servilla scurried through the library without looking at the cursed books, and found herself in another holy place. She felt an unbearable desire to confess her sins, so she did.

Confess! C9 1d20=1

Dammit, not again! :doh:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Vincent the Utterly Incompetent
HP: 5, Stress: 5, Corruption: 3
Treasures:
Peaceful Engram (Magic)
Ailments:
Hallucinations

Gah, why was it so hot suddenly!? Panicking, Vincent covers his mouth as he sprints for the nearest exit. At leasts he could still trust in his ability to run, even as his mind started to play tricks on him.

C10 Where there's smoke: 1d20 4 1d20 15
First roll is ignored, thankfully.
Heading to the right side exit.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
code:
HP: 5/5 Stress: 2/10 Corruption: 0/10
I pushed on past the door leading out from the chamber filled with junk and I took in the scene.

Within the carved out space in the rock floor there was what looked like a stone table and chairs.

Near one of the chair-like rocks was the other man who'd finished killing off the rats with me earlier.

"Hello. I'm Jack," the man said, relaxing a bit in this safe space. "Anyone else here from Earth?"

"I'm from the Munde." I said, taking a seat. "At least I think I was. The name's Renny."

"I see you've got a weapon already," I continued, nodding towards his rat sword. "I found one of these just a little bit ago."

I produced the vial of cloudy liquid from a pocket in my flimsy coat and swirled it a little to make the magic inside apparent.

"So keep your eyes peeled." I offered, despite having no idea what that meant.

> Moving Down from E7.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Magda
W5 / S1 / C0

Magda took a moment to preen and dust off her hands before advancing beyond the broken gate.

Moving West/Left from C8 to C7

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Crumbles [ D4 -> F -> ?]
HP: 5/5, Stress: 2->3/10, Corruption: 0/10

One foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other.

IF I can still move afterwards: F) Splashdown [TN 4]: 1d20 2

Go Left of F.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Name: Lionel | Location: E5, I assume

Lionel followed Seth the 'prentice onto a flight of steps. As Seth stepped onto one of the steps, Lionel heard an ominous click.

E5: Tricky Staircase: 1d20 8 Hmm, depends if Junpei upped the room's TN or not...

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

[Round Eight]

Something growls in the darkness. A bear-sized... thing lurches into the phospherescent glow of floating spores. It points at you and says something unintelligible. When you don't respond fast enough, it charges, long fingers lashing out at your throat. You may not escape! [TN12]
  • Johnson - You hack away at it, spattering yourself with gore and mold, but it refuses to fall. Gain 1 Corruption. TN decreases by 4. You may try to escape!
  • Magda - You see a great, corrupt beast and...
So C7 was revealed in last update, but I edited it in after I noticed it was missing in the post. If you want, you can edit a roll in for it in your last post and I'll just pop it in here. Alternately, you can just go from here - your choice.

Amidst the grandeur of this strange chtonic cathedral, you find this. A quiet box, and a mysterious voice. A perfect opportunity to get something off your chest... This is a safe place. [TN7]
  • Servilla - You speak a falsehood, and are stricken with guilt. Gain 1 Stress. The room is also strangely smokier than you recall - it's hard to breath. Gain 1 Stress and 1 Corruption. You feel the Stress wearing on you - gain the Teraphobia Ailment!

...Smoke is coming through holes in the ground. You can feel the heat. It's not safe to breath here. [TN13]
  • Stanky - You hold your breath and move out, quickly - you are unharmed. When you open the door, smoke extends to C9, modifying that chamber.
  • Vincenzo - Smoke gets in your lungs. Take 1 Stress and 1 Corruption. Smoke continues to extend to C9.
  • Pachel - Smoke gets in your lungs. Take 1 Stress and 1 Corruption. Smoke continues to extend to C9.
    Vincent - You cough and gag as the smoke fills your lungs. You can't bre - No, you hold your breath and move out, quickly - you are unharmed. Smoke continues to extend to C9.

"D1) Crumbling Stairs (Natural, Athletic) posted:

You hear the stone groaning with every step, tiny stones tinkling down upon you. You walk a little faster. Someone's tied a convenient rope here.[TN3]
  • Jesse - You avoid a rock fall, and wipe your brow in relief. Continue to D2.

"E5) Tricky Staircase (Mechanical, Heights) posted:

You take a dozen steps onto the staircase before you hear a series of clicks. You only have time to blink before the stairs retract and rotate, leaving you standing on a slick incline. [TN8]
  • Seth - You wipe out before sliding to the bottom and ending up in E7 - and slamming into a wall of decorative iron spikes. Take 1 Wound and gain 1 Stress, then brush yourself off. The slide clicks twice, then resets.
  • Lionel - You manage to ride it out, sliding to the bottom and ending up in E7. The slide seems to be stuck like this now - can't go up that way, but this is a safe place now.

E7) A Chance To Talk (Safe Place) posted:

There's stone that sort of look like chairs and a table. This is a safe place. You can talk to someone here. [No TN, just have a short conversation with a fellow Slave]
  • Jack and Renault - You have a nice chat. It's frightening down here, but it's not as cold as above. Neither are you under the immediate scrutiny of the Glass Queen, which is more than you say for the poor lot topside. You take a breath, and lose a Stress each.

""F) Splashdown (Safe Place, Ancient) posted:

You find yourself in a vast hall with five doors. This is a safe place. More of the same swirling architecture is evident, the walls and floors something like slick marble. The instant you step into the room, water begins to trickle in. [TN4]
  • Crumbles - The water gives off fumes that make you light headed. Gain 1 Corruption. The TN increases by 2 to 6, and the water gets higher.

H1) Equivalent Exchange (Safe Place, Treasure, Ancient) posted:

The chamber spirals in towards a central altar emblazoned with icons of exchange and rebirth. You intuit - or are informed, through some preternatural means - that should you leave something on the altar, it will be changed, somehow. This is a safe place. [TN10]
  • Vinny - You move to H2.

"I1) Lonely Oozemancer (Slime, Enemy) posted:

You stumble into a lonely creature dripping with ooze, who is about to scold you when he notices your supple flesh. "A warmblood," he says "do you mind if I take some samples?" Without waiting for your reply, a hooked tendril reaches out from within his robe towards you! [TN10]
  • Lydia - The wriggling thing retracts from your violence, hissing sibilantly. "No good, no good! Only wanted to help!" It lets you pass, but it looks hostile now. TN increases by 1, though for you this room is safe.

J1) Mushroom Grotto (Safe Place, Fungal) posted:

You feel safe here. A murky teal pond and clusters of mushrooms make for a strange resting place. The water is... unusual. You may heal 1 Wound in exchange for 3 Corruption.
  • Raphael - You move to J2.

----~New Chambers Unlocked~----
----~ Chambers Modified ~----

Amidst the grandeur of this strange chtonic cathedral, you find this. A quiet box, and a mysterious voice. A perfect opportunity to get something off your chest... This is a safe place... but smoke chokes the air. Better confess quickly, it's getting tough to breathe. [TN7]

"C11) Scratches in the Deep (Enemy, Ancient) posted:

The room is choked with webbing, thick and greasy and pulsating. You are not at all surprised to see gaggle of tremendous spiders skittering towards you! [TN14]

"C12) Choking Mists (Ancient, Fire, Treasure) posted:

You can barely see through the clouds of smoke. It's hot, and choking, and absolutely pouring up through cracks in the floor. If you squint, you can see some kind of equipment burning in the room beyond - it... doesn't look like it's supposed to be doing that. You want to turn back, but some of that stuff could be valuable. Dare you risk it? [TN16]

"E8) Grimacing Statues (Grim, Ancient) posted:

A hall of ghoulish faces. Do their eyes follow you? Impossible... Or is it? [TN6]

"H2) Forge Of Ancients (Safe Place, Treasure, Ancient) posted:

When the door opens, you are assaulted by the noise of hammers against metal, strange machines, and a toneless voice pounding into your skull. This is a safe place. The wall bears the image of a crescent moon that seems vaguely familiar. <Insert Materia for Improvement. Insert Materia for Improvement.> [TN15 ((lower if Strange Mechanism was activated)) and a Treasure]

"I2) Sinner's Well (Ancient, Grim, Corrupt) posted:

A crimson sore split into the filthy brick of the floor. It speaks to you. "Bring another. Wrestle them into my depths... And profit from it." When multiple people are in the chamber, roll against eachother. Otherwise, do nothing - you definitely do not feel safe here, however.

"J2) Sage of the Cave (Safe Place, Ancient) posted:

You are startled to see a man sitting among the mushrooms. At least, you think it's a man - it's difficult to tell where he ends and the fungi begin. He smiles kindly, his toothless mouth puffing out spores. Ask something of the Sage, and he will answer truthfully, but he will also ask you a question, which you will need to answer truthfully. This is a safe place, but you feel strange.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 23, 2020

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Vincent the Utterly Incompetent
HP: 5, Stress: 5, Corruption: 3
Treasures:
Peaceful Engram (Magic)
Ailments:
Hallucinations

Argh, spiders! Who the hell would design a dungeon where one of the paths just ended in a nest of giant spiders!? Once again, Vincent proves that even if you're only good at one thing, as long as that one thing is "running for you life" then everything will work out.

C11 Scratches in the Deep: 1d20 4 1d20 19
Thank you yet again, Hallucinations!

Heading back to C10 since it's not possible to go any further.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Vinny McJeeves
HP: 5, Stress: 4, Corruption: 1
BOONS
Velocitized - You have fallen a great way and lived to tell the tale. You are immune to [Heights] chambers and may forego the roll inside. Additionally, gain +1 to [Athletic] chambers.

"Oh, Old Vinny doesn't have no materia, nope, no, poor Ol' Vinny's never even seen materia."

"Nope, Old Vinny's just Ol' Vinny, not the sort of person they let have something like that..."

Move DOWN

Theantero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 23, 2020

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Stanky Johnson, C12
Wounds: 0/5
Treas: Book of Fate (6)

"-FOOOOOOOOOOoooooo..."

"Oh no my lab equipment! I have to save it!" Stanky Johnson picks up flaming debris while coughing so hard he dry heaves.

Choking Mists: 1d20 10
Probably going to remain in C12 to try again but reserving my option to split back to C10 if the situation gets worse.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jack | | Location: E7 -> E8
HP; 5/5, Stress: 0>1/10, Corruption: 0/10
Treasures:
Rat Tail Blade (Weapon, Mundane) - A crude weapon reeking of rats. Lower TN in [Enemy] chambers by 2. 2 Uses.

Lux Animus posted:

"So keep your eyes peeled." I offered, despite having no idea what that meant.

"Like a carrot." Jack said incomprehensibly while nodding in agreement.

Jack didn't linger long. Still driven by the echoes of the voice in his head, he hurried into the next room, paying little attention to the unfortunate slaves who had so painfully joined him and Renny.

Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick
Jack bypass the ghoulish eyes.

Move to E8
E8) Grimacing Statues (Grim, Ancient) posted: 1d20 12

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Lydia Crawford, Duke's Daughter
HP: 5, Stress: 1, Corruption: 0

Lydia plodded past the protesting oozeman him with heavy-lidded eyes, caring not a whit for his words.

The red rift's message was given an equally dull look, before she simply began to move past, heading for the next doorway. Though, it did not take long before her skin crawled with the feeling of missed opportunities and lost chances. That she would regret this, her lonely path, her abject lack of sacrifices to feed into the grinder of the Sanarkan Depths.

Regret that she could not do precisely what the Glass Queen was doing.

"Foul fiend."

Mouth awash with the tang of metal, Lydia staggered into the next room.

Lydia goes left.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
code:
HP: 5/5 Stress: 2 -> 1/10 Corruption: 0/10
Just from my brief repartée with Jack I felt a welling of relief flood my systems. Despite his crude weapon, he wasn't such a scary sort after all, and I felt like I could rely on him to have my back. I breathed a sigh of relief and stood up, pocketing my sour potion in the process.

"Well, the path leads down," I suggested, motioning to the stairs. "Downward we descend?"

Just then, there was a yell and a loud crash as a young man came sliding down a ramp and slammed into a wall of ornamental spikes. Yowch!

As the pained man tried to extricate himself, another man came sliding down the ramp at much more controlled speed. He didn't wind up crushing and injuring the other one further, thankfully.

"Uh... is everyone okay?" I offered meekly, trying to be of help to the two newcomers. "There's nothing much in this room, so we're going to go further down..."

In the chamber beneath, a expansive dark hallway yawned ahead, lined with immaculately-carved statues of people trapped in torturous poses.

I could feel their frozen eyes stripping bare my soul. They all sought my help, to be freed from their stony prisons. I didn't bear to look.

E8) Grimacing Statues: 1d20 19

> Moving East from E8.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pachel @C12
Health - 5
Stress- 4
Corrupt- 3

HACK HACK COUGH COUGH. This was worse than when Joss was on one of his smoking binges! HACK COUGH HACK

Well, if she could brave Joss' smoke and Joss' family and Joss and have Joss' baby as a single mother, then well. She could get whatever that burning thing over there is!

C12 Treasure Get? TN 16: 1d20 19

Heading down after

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Seth (Location: E5 -> E8)
Wounds: 4/5
Stress: 2/10
Treasure:
Rusty Crowbar (Mundane) - A rusty, heavy slab of metal. Expend to permanently raise or lower the TN of Mechanical chambers by 1.
Canister of Tabula Rasa (Potion, Magic) - Didn't they stop making this in the 90s? You crack it open. It's still clearly refreshing! [As a free action, toss a coin. Heads, recover 1 Wound; Tails, recover 1 Stress]

Oooh. That was going to ache... But it was ignorable enough. He could walk it off.

Chairs and tables. Maybe if he needed to backtrack or found a dead end, he could take a moment, but right now, more important things to do.

quote:

"Uh... is everyone okay?" I offered meekly, trying to be of help to the two newcomers. "There's nothing much in this room, so we're going to go further down..."

"Yeah... I'm fine... thanks. I'm Seth... and this is Lionel. And same. Let's keep heading forward. We might not all be able to get that wish, but I don't see why we should sabotage each other. Let's keep each other alive."

Those statues... was there a magic there? No... it... was it?

E8: Grimacing Statues: 1d20 20

Heading East from Grimacing Statues.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

So C7 was revealed in last update, but I edited it in after I noticed it was missing in the post. If you want, you can edit a roll in for it in your last post and I'll just pop it in here. Alternately, you can just go from here - your choice.

I thought that was strange. I'll just play it as it lies.

Magda
In C7 / Wounds 5 / Stress 1 / Corruption 0

"I don't like the look of you!" Magda told at the creature as she ran away. If only she could make it back to the bridge. An image of her pulling some tricky maneuver, the beast barrelling past to fall down the pit makes her laugh as she scrambles away desperately.

C7 Fungal Beast: 10

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
The Late Johnson
HP: 5/5, Stress: 1/10 , Corruption: 1/10 | C7

"Still standing after The Late Johnson's boot? Well pull up your trousers because here comes the second one!"

C7, Fungal Fiend (TN: 4?) 1d20 = 14

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Vincenzo DeVries
HP 2/5
Stress 2/10
Corruption 1/10
Inventory: Mushroom Cap

Not safe to breath TN13: 1d20 15

That's better.

Move to C12

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Raphael

HP: 5/5
Stress: 0/10
Corruption: 1/10

J2) Sage of the Cave

"Oh hello there. Nice place you have here."

Ask something of the Sage, and he will answer truthfully, but he will also ask you a question, which you will need to answer truthfully.

"Umm... Where is the dormant Annulus?"

J2) Sage of the Cave: 1d20 18

(Then proceed to next room)

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 23, 2020

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Johnny Apples
Location Splashdown (F) -> K2
HP: 5/5, Stress: 2/10, Corruption: 0/10

Johnny splashed into the water, and looked around, looked like the door to the far right hadn't been tried yet, she sloshed into it wondering what in the hells an Annulus was anyway? [K2]

Room F Target number 6: 1d20 3

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 23, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Name: Lionel | Location: E7 -> E8

Lionel stuck his arms out wide, trying to slow, or at least control, his descent. He reached the bottom and carried on a few paces, letting the momentum he had built up slowly dissapate. Then he turned around and looked for Seth. "Are you OK?"

Seth was already in conversation with two other delvers, so Lionel followed then to a room full of statues. The contorted faces only reminded Lionel of his last look into a mirror.

E8: Grimacing Statues: 1d20 17 Heading East afterwards.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Servilla MMLVIII
HP: 5/5, Stress: 6/10, Corruption: 3/10, C9 to C10

Frankly, today had not been a particularly good one for Servilla. Feeling a certain amount of fatalistic acceptance, she plunged forward into the fire ahead.

Firefighting! 1d20=14

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

[Round Nine]

Something growls in the darkness. A bear-sized... thing lurches into the phospherescent glow of floating spores. It points at you and says something unintelligible. When you don't respond fast enough, it charges, long fingers lashing out at your throat. You may not escape! [TN8]
  • Magda - You hack away at it, spattering yourself with gore and mold, but it refuses to fall. Gain 1 Corruption. TN decreases by 4 to TN4. You may try to escape!
  • Johnson - You hack away at it, spattering yourself with gore and mold, but it refuses to fall. Gain 1 Corruption. TN decreases by 4 to 0. The wretched thing falls in a cloud of spores. This room becomes a safe place.

• Servilla - You hold your breath and move out, quickly - you are unharmed. Smoke continues to extend to C9.
  • Vincenzo - You hold your breath and move out, quickly - you are unharmed. Smoke continues to extend to C9.
[/list]

"C11) Scratches in the Deep (Enemy, Ancient) posted:

The room is choked with webbing, thick and greasy and pulsating. You are not at all surprised to see gaggle of tremendous spiders skittering towards you! [TN14]
  • Vincent - They're eating you! They're climbing into your sores and - No, no. You cut them down, but there's so many. TN increases by 1, but you manage to clear a path. The room beyond is collapsed and soft with old webs, but you find something amidst the cocoons before you retreat. Find a Pliant Spiderling Treasure, and flee to C10

"C12) Choking Mists (Ancient, Fire, Treasure) posted:

You can barely see through the clouds of smoke. It's hot, and choking, and absolutely pouring up through cracks in the floor. If you squint, you can see some kind of equipment burning in the room beyond - it... doesn't look like it's supposed to be doing that. You want to turn back, but some of that stuff could be valuable. Dare you risk it? [TN16]
  • Stanky - The smoke is... you feel... You take 3 Corruption, 1 Stress, and 2 Wounds, and are driven back to C10. What did you see beyond the smoke? Who was that? Your pulse is pounding in your skull.
  • Pachel - You manage it to force your way through, cursing all along. It's so hot! Everything is nearly glowing to the touch... but you find something spectacular. You may gain a Seeming Idol Treasure... but take 1 Wound in the seizing of it. Either way, flee to C10.

"E8) Grimacing Statues (Grim, Ancient) posted:

A hall of ghoulish faces. Do their eyes follow you? Impossible... Or is it? [TN6]
  • Jack - Yes, impossible. Stone can't move, or see. You may pass.
  • Renault - Yes, impossible. Stone can't move, or see. You may pass.
  • Seth - Yes, impossible. Stone can't move, or see. You may pass. You spot an open palm jutting from the wall, proffering... something. Gain a Trauma Stone Treasure.
  • Lionel - Yes, impossible. Stone can't move, or see. You may pass.
Man you guys just chumped this chamber

"F) Splashdown (Safe Place, Ancient) posted:

You find yourself in a vast hall with five doors. This is a safe place. More of the same swirling architecture is evident, the walls and floors something like slick marble. The instant you step into the room, water begins to trickle in. [TN6]
  • Johnny - The water gives off fumes that make you light headed. Gain 1 Corruption. The TN increases by 2 to 8, and the water gets higher.
Saw your intent to go to K2, but K1 needs to be dealt with first.

"H2) Forge Of Ancients (Safe Place, Treasure, Ancient) posted:

When the door opens, you are assaulted by the noise of hammers against metal, strange machines, and a toneless voice pounding into your skull. This is a safe place. The wall bears the image of a crescent moon that seems vaguely familiar. <Insert Materia for Improvement. Insert Materia for Improvement.> [TN15 ((lower if Strange Mechanism was activated)) and a Treasure]
  • Vinny - You move to H3

"I2) Sinner's Well (Ancient, Grim, Corrupt) posted:

A crimson sore split into the filthy brick of the floor. It speaks to you. "Bring another. Wrestle them into my depths... And profit from it." When multiple people are in the chamber, roll against eachother. Otherwise, do nothing - you definitely do not feel safe here, however.
  • Lydia - You move to I3

"J2) Sage of the Cave (Safe Place, Ancient) posted:

You are startled to see a man sitting among the mushrooms. At least, you think it's a man - it's difficult to tell where he ends and the fungi begin. He smiles kindly, his toothless mouth puffing out spores. Ask something of the Sage, and he will answer truthfully, but he will also ask you a question, which you will need to answer truthfully. This is a safe place, but you feel strange.
  • Raphael - You ask about the dormant Annulus the Glass Queen demanded you find. His smile curls widely and he crooks a finger vaguely back towards where you came. "you passed it just now. your toes are wet with the cooling vapors of its dormancy. it waits only to awake and cast you into the true darkness." He shifts, breaking some of the hyphae that link him to the floor and puffing out luminous specks, then settles once more. "now, raph-a-el. how did you come to be in the Glass Queen's clutches?"

EVENT: MADNESS IN THE DEPTHS posted:

Virm had broken upon hearing the call of the Glass Queen. Unable to cope with the stress of mental invasion heaped upon the rest of the indignities, her mind gave out. Now she wandered, maddened and changed by this dark place. She has made her way to B, but now wanders downwards, attempting the chambers automatically. With each failure, her roll will gain a cumulative -1 penalty, and every person in a chamber with her will gain a Stress each round they spend with her. When she perishes, any chamber with her corpse in it will cause 1 Stress in any visitors automatically. A grim vision of what will befall those who cannot withstand the terror!

[i]
----~New Chambers Unlocked~----
----~ Chambers Modified ~----

"E9) Just Me, Myself, And I (Safe Place) posted:

A small, solitary chamber with a mirror. This is a safe place. You're alone with only your own thoughts... [TN10]

"H3) Recalibrator (Ancient, Safe Place) posted:

The machinery from above extends and coils into the walls and floors, and hangs down from the ceiling in twisting vines that look almost alive. One such vine reaches towards your head almost tentatively. You feel very keenly aware of your wounds and your everpresent fear, and feel the boundaries between each begin to fray. This is a safe place. [TN5; You may choose to swap any number Wounds for Stress or vice versa]

"I3) Bloody Rebirth (Ancient, Grim, Corrupt) posted:

The chamber is raw and ruddy stone, yielding nothing of value. And yet... your Corruption festers inside you. You hear a voice. "You care not for goodness and truth, you only desire power. Strength. I can grant it." Your companions hear nothing, and look at you askance. [Only available if you have 5+ Corruption]

"J3) Hyphae Highway (Fungal, Decay, Enemy) posted:

Your destination lies downwards, but the chamber is a tangle of mushroom stalks and roots, forcing you to clamber between them. Suddenly, you hear a sound - you're not alone! A great, shaggy thing climbs from branch to branch, closing in on you! [TN15]

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 29, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

GRAG posted:

Wounds: 04/05
Stress: 01/10
Corruption: 00/10
GRAG.

GRAG stared at the strange once-human being.
Who were they to be down here, how long ago did they set out on this journey?
And, most important of all, did it have an ace of spades?

"Grrhhhhhhmmmmmmm...."

"Ghrhork?"

"Ghleeb."

"Ghrharhk.

[K1] Go fish? [TN 10]: 1d20 3

"GHLEEB!"

The fleshy-figure flipped the table, sending cards flying everywhere. Clearly they were a sore loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
code:
HP: 5/5 Stress: 1/10 Corruption: 0/10
I jimmied open the door at the far end of the dark and dismal statuary and peered inside the new space along with the three other Queen's slaves in the chamber with me.

It was a single bedroom fit for a lone, solitary person, long disused but not altogether ruined. There was a dusty dressing mirror in the corner and a ransacked wardrobe next to what once served as a bed. At the very least, it was a safe place for us to rest if we needed. There were no other exits from what I could see.

Someone went towards the mirror, and I couldn't bear to look, to wait and see what happened to them if they saw something other than their own reflection inside. I didn't need to rest or to mess with any full-length intact mirrors in ancient bedrooms, so I returned to the hall filled with anguished statues and sought another path forward. Surely, there was staircase that ran further down...

> Leaving Safe Space E9 to return to E8.

Steeling myself despite my fraying nerves, I searched past the hauntingly frozen stone figures and hung to the walls, looking for a way to go deeper into the dungeon.

> E8) Grimacing Statues: 1d20 13

> Moving Down from E8.