Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
word on the street is that the ssd is soldered directly to the CPU and is fast. the ssd can transload textures directly to the unified ram.

apparently this is so fast they’ve had to rethink everything about game worlds. no longer do devs have to care about anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
why would you buy a computer just for video games when you can play video games on a regular computer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because the ssd

didn’t you read the OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
linus dick tips had to make a public apology for making statements about the ssd without knowing anything and timothy mcsweeny was like linus you don’t know poo poo stay in your corner the ssd is so much faster than is even possible on pc architecture that if it was a man and it impregnated a women the kids would come out as grandkids

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a pcie nvme ssd, but with the power of pre-release hype, it blows away anything possible on modern pcs

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they should call it "blast processing" or something cool like that

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
eh if theres anything new and useful architecture wise amd will reuse it for their next gen of pc cpus

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thank god the only reason i didnt buy a console before was because it didnt have a weird fast non-upgradeable SSD.

Prayer Status: ANSWERED!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

supposedly it's also upgradeable, assuming you buy one that sony supports

because it's just a pcie nvme ssd

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
moving to an m2 nvme drive has made fallout: new vegas load transitions basically instantly, enabling my save-scumming rear end to have a much more fluid experience

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
if ps5 supports psnow i will be buying it. maybe not in 2020 in case there are hardware issues but it’s otherwise a pretty easy upgrade choice from a nonslim ps4

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What is stymie's opinion on the PS5 SSD?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so given the ssd improvements what's our increase in theoretical Gamer Words Per Minute

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

The PS5's load times are so fast that devs may actually have to artifically slow them down so gamers don't get disoriented, Cerny says.

lol

quote:

But as we said above, there's no seeks on the SSD.

"This means no installs as you know them today."

hmm yes the hard disk seek times are why downloading games take time

quote:

"Our goal with the PS5 isn't just that the SSD would be 100x faster. It's that game loads and streaming would be 100x faster as well. So every single potential bottleneck needed to be addressed. And there are a lot of them."

no one ever thought of addressing bottlenecks when designing hardware before

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i just took a blast process iykwim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Zlodo posted:

lol

hmm yes the hard disk seek times are why downloading games take time

no one ever thought of addressing bottlenecks when designing hardware before

i love this kind of loving pants on head stupid pre-release press hype. poo poo like this is always hilarious, and moreso after the product launches and it turns out to be a resounding meh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

{product} is so unbelievably fast we have to artificially slow it down so that consumers don't freak out and dive out of the way like a screening of Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if they implement this properly where data goes ssd > fixed function decompresser > video ram without using the cpu at all it should be almost equivalent to having terabytes of VRAM

the closest pc equivalent would be the Radeon™ Pro SSG a video card with a 2TB ssd that came out a few years ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the new cpu architecture has so many concurrent gigflops it may cause sterility and birth defects

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

the only feature i care about in a console is the ability to have a corn love theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2HIbvMEz4

if the ps5 can do this as good as the ps4 can, i'll get one. if not, i won't.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lomarf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's some design blog idiot's concept render, right?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

that's some design blog idiot's concept render, right?

bad news

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

in the future, you'll find stacks of those things at your local pawn shop

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

but they might be missing the little plastic platter you have to set it on.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

except they don't stack so it'll be this messy pile lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

this is how i've bought every game console i own.

or from a thrift store

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

tell me of peggle 3, op

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

no fukin way

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
aww yeah cheap curved plastic cases the 90s are back

edit im the flush gamepad buttons that will provide almost no tactile feeling

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 11, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

clamstation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

donald duck beak-station

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know what people love? camera accessories

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

infernal machines posted:

you know what people love? camera accessories

lol
hope we still have space in the room full of the never used kinects that came with our xbone devkits

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

what in the name of bang and olufsen design is this

sharper image clearance sale rear end lookin console

ill wait for the ps5 slim or wahtever

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

im hype as hell about hitman 3 tho

on pc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the ps5 is ugly but so were the original playstation and ps3

certainly more interesting than the microsoft extrude a roundrect cinderblock

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

the ps5 is ugly but so were the original playstation

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

since when is this

more beautiful than this