Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Perpetual Notion posted:

They changed crit range/multiplier calculations shortly after the swashbuckler bard tree. Used to be if you had expanded threat on a weapon then either had keen or improved crit feat or enhancements it doubled the actual crit range of the weapon so say you had shining devastation (18-20/x3) and you got improved crit, you doubled the 18-20 so instead you got a 15 or 16-20 range. Now it calculates based on the base model of the item (20/x2) tacked onto the 18-20/x3 giving you a 17-20/x3. This is more pronounced with certain other weapons with even greater expanded threat ranges. However they also included competence crit range and multiplier enhancements to a lot of melee trees giving you a second stacking version if improved crit, but they also changed most of those previously uniqe crit range adjusters all into competence bonus so they don't stack with each other. Long story short, depending on how you built before, crit ranges have changed A LOT, you can still get sub 15 crit ranges but they are few and far between and extremely specialized.

Ok that makes sense, I always thought the stacking was really out of control anyways. How has that affected the khopesh meta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
They added the Knight's Training feat which makes longswords, battleaxes, and warhammers equivalent to a khopesh, so now there are more weapon choices available if you are going for 1-handers.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

Ok that makes sense, I always thought the stacking was really out of control anyways. How has that affected the khopesh meta?

Khopesh meta went away long before that, they just started adding all kinds of good named weapons that weren't khopesh as well as enhancements that typically didnt include khopesh. Honestly Longsword and greatsword are getting to be really good these days depending on class/build

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm fascinated by the continued existence of this game

Not being snarky

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It's a testament to the greatness of 3.5.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

victrix posted:

I'm fascinated by the continued existence of this game

Not being snarky

don't knock it till you try it. i played the game at launch and there really hasn't been anything quite like it since.

the population has seen its better days but the customer-centric things that they have done over the pandemic and releasing all the adventure packs for free really has improved the population overall.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I figured I'd revisit DDO since I've apparently got way too much time, the free questpacks sound nice, hardcore league sounds kinda interesting and I haven't played since release. One of my old characters was even still in the old EJB guild, which I thus took over for no reason in particular.

So ... what the hell is up with the Temple of Elemental Evil? I made an extremely straightforward shoot-lightning-arrows-at-mans arcane archer and have been cheerfully cruising through quests on Elite until I started that thing. Why is the mob count 4x as high as anywhere else I've been? It's not a raid or marked as extreme difficulty that I can tell. Why are there orbs containing the random musings of Wil Wheaton? I have nothing against the guy, but I also really do not care that he thinks his D&D character might have died early when he played it as a kid but he doesn't remember.

I ended up just abandoning out of the place, since after 40 minutes I'd accomplished none of the main get-a-key objectives and it's been goddamn brutal. At least I got a 1d11 bastard sword named "Spinal Tap", which is very :golfclap:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ThePotatoMasher posted:

don't knock it till you try it. i played the game at launch and there really hasn't been anything quite like it since.

the population has seen its better days but the customer-centric things that they have done over the pandemic and releasing all the adventure packs for free really has improved the population overall.

Yeah I'm giving it a shot, I hopped in the hardcore discord but it's not super active.

I found the intro bafflingly confusing and basically wandered around and died in the borderlands. I need to find a good intro video that handholds past the first few levels to get my feet set.

Asking for help in the official discord resulted in a few 'well just do X duh' and a couple of STAT VOMIT replies which were wonderfully unhelpful. I'll read through the OP again and do my mmo homework or whatever.

The UI is *way* too loving small though, like I-can't-read-this small. May have to just lower the res since it isn't scaling.

victrix fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 29, 2020

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

victrix posted:

Yeah I'm giving it a shot, I hopped in the hardcore discord but it's not super active.

I found the intro bafflingly confusing and basically wandered around and died in the borderlands. I need to find a good intro video that handholds past the first few levels to get my feet set.

Asking for help in the official discord resulted in a few 'well just do X duh' and a couple of STAT VOMIT replies which were wonderfully unhelpful. I'll read through the OP again and do my mmo homework or whatever.

The UI is *way* too loving small though, like I-can't-read-this small. May have to just lower the res since it isn't scaling.

The game will try to hold your hand a bit if you stay in korthos and keep picking up quests. The borderlands content is way more interesting, but it assumes you mostly know what you are doing already. Finishing the whole korthos quest chain though misery's peak should get you to level 3ish at which point you can either explore the borderlands a bit or head to the harbor in stormreach.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 29, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

I figured I'd revisit DDO since I've apparently got way too much time, the free questpacks sound nice, hardcore league sounds kinda interesting and I haven't played since release. One of my old characters was even still in the old EJB guild, which I thus took over for no reason in particular.

So ... what the hell is up with the Temple of Elemental Evil? I made an extremely straightforward shoot-lightning-arrows-at-mans arcane archer and have been cheerfully cruising through quests on Elite until I started that thing. Why is the mob count 4x as high as anywhere else I've been? It's not a raid or marked as extreme difficulty that I can tell. Why are there orbs containing the random musings of Wil Wheaton? I have nothing against the guy, but I also really do not care that he thinks his D&D character might have died early when he played it as a kid but he doesn't remember.

I ended up just abandoning out of the place, since after 40 minutes I'd accomplished none of the main get-a-key objectives and it's been goddamn brutal. At least I got a 1d11 bastard sword named "Spinal Tap", which is very :golfclap:

It's an adaptation of one of the old tabletop modules and is actually very simplified compared to the original. Temple of Elemental Evil is considered a classic and was popular enough to get its own video game adaptation. It's good for what it is, but you need to be in the mood for a long oldschool map.

Wil Wheaton was the result of them wanting a famous guest DM and it was a bad decision. When they adapted Haunted Halls of Eveningstar they got Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood to do commentary about making the original Haunted Halls. Huge difference.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, I'm familiar with the module and the Troika adaptation thereof -- I used to help run a Troika fansite around 2000, even -- but I still don't get why the difficulty of DDO-ToEE is so out of whack compared to the rest of the game. Is it intentional? Did I miss some warning? Am I just way more rubbish than I thought I was?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the module and the Troika adaptation thereof -- I used to help run a Troika fansite around 2000, even -- but I still don't get why the difficulty of DDO-ToEE is so out of whack compared to the rest of the game. Is it intentional? Did I miss some warning? Am I just way more rubbish than I thought I was?

There is a lot of hidden stuff.
in particular, hidden doors to skip large sections

Also, the packs are not super hard, it is just a resource management struggle mostly.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yes, it is intentional. That pack, as well as Against the Slave Lords and a couple others from that time, were designed to be challenge content at the time when they came out.

It’s my understanding that ToEE was also an extremely long, challenging PnP module so that is also the reason it is so long.

Also, even though the mobs are not that hard, the end bosses of both sections are extremely challenging at level. Do not expect to beat them solo and you will even struggle with a group unless they all know what they’re doing.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Also there are a lot of mobs that just repeatedly spawn around blind corners so you get attritioned down if you don't have the resources to sustain. And various different damage types and mob resistances.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Also there are a lot of mobs that just repeatedly spawn around blind corners so you get attritioned down if you don't have the resources to sustain. And various different damage types and mob resistances.

Yeah, my experience was a lot of kiting the pack of 12 angry evil nerds I was fighting around a corner I'd cleared straight into a pack of 12 freshly spawned angry evil nerds while my healer companion was running on Echoes of Power fumes the entire time. One advantage of Arcane Archer is that I have no problems at all with damage type resistance or corrosion which I guess is why I could go through the gargoyles, ochres, medusas and other "hard" monsters on no problem. The problem was that all my character does is shoot one guy very hard so the multiple large packs of archer humanoid trash really wrecked me.

Anyhow, clearly Elite was just way too much work for my newbie rear end but is it truly not intended to be solo:d on any difficulty? I kinda want to do it because I do have a soft spot for ToEE the module; Troika's version is the best computer implementation of PnP D&D ever made in all its janky dungeon crawl glory.

E: In general I don't mind that they made ToEE into a janky dungeon crawl that kills you -- that is the essence of the module, really -- I just wish that they'd have told me that this adventure works differently than all the others before I spent like an hour very slowly grinding my way through endless respawning cultist trash on Elite and feeling like I was getting nowhere. Also that they'd settled for just having Wil Wheaton as the DM voice, which he does a perfectly OK job at, without also scattering Wil Wheaton's Orb of Inane Musings randomly about the place.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 29, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FYI do you have Improved Precise Shot yet? Its a bit finicky but you can use it to line up multiple enemies at once. (Don't be like me and forget to turn it on for like 5 levels)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Nope. It's a free feat for rangers, but it is level 11 and ToEE is 7. My character has the XP to get to 10, still 9 right now to clear up some level 7 adventures.

Probably going to skip ToEE for something shorter for now. I ran the Pit for the first time earlier today and it also took me a good hour and a half, I'm going to aim to not be stuck in a sewer next time I play.

The pit is one of my favorites. You can run toee on normal and probably just blow through it with no problem if you just want to see it.

On arcane archer, improved precise shot is ok but kind of annoying to use. When you get the feat, you also get a feat called archer’s focus which is a stance mutually exclusive to improved precise shot. It lets you stack a ton of ranged power, especially once you get the tier 5 enhancement in deep wood stalker. I’d recommend using that over improved precise shot 90% of the time.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'd probably say that the other way around. IPS is probably better 80% of the time. Archer's focus stacks very slowly and only while you stand still. Most of the time it ramps up too slowly to be of benefit and as an archer you avoid a lot of damage by moving. IPS will let you reposition to hit as many enemies as possible, especially in maps with a lot of straight hallways. I'd probably only turn on Archer's Focus for bosses and other tough enemies.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

What I gathered from reading threads to figure out what the hell I should be doing was that Improved Precise Shot was nerfed last update to be less of a no-brainer, but it's still better any time you can hit >1 mans with it since 1.6x damage is more than Archer's Focus will get you. I'm not super looking forward to figuring out how to best aim it, to be perfectly honest, but we'll see.

Another stupid newbie question: is there a way to make autoshot less ... janky? I'd like it to automatically turn on when I attack something, or at least not automatically turn off when I search or mount. I'd also like to either have it work with soft targeting, or better yet disable soft targeting as a thing entirely. Right now there are a lot of times where I stand around like a goober not shooting because my target is not sufficiently my target, or because autoshot got disabled earlier and I failed to notice.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I'd probably say that the other way around. IPS is probably better 80% of the time. Archer's focus stacks very slowly and only while you stand still. Most of the time it ramps up too slowly to be of benefit and as an archer you avoid a lot of damage by moving. IPS will let you reposition to hit as many enemies as possible, especially in maps with a lot of straight hallways. I'd probably only turn on Archer's Focus for bosses and other tough enemies.

I just leveled a pure ranger right after the ranged changes a few patches ago and found IPS rarely worth using. Archers focus at 25 stacks lets you 1-2 shot any mob and stacks within a few seconds to 25 with some double shot and the enhancement that gives you stacks whether you’re moving or not. Just stack it up at the start of a dungeon It rarely falls off. This is assuming you have the right enhancements in DWS though.

For any other ranged, like inquisitive, you’d always use IPS but for pure ranger I stand by archers focus. The 20% damage reduction of IPS sucks. There are arguments to be had either way though and that’s good game design honestly.

25 stacks is 125 ranged power, which is pretty close to a 125% increase in damage you’re doing because ranged power is rare before level 20. You’d need to be hitting at least 3 targets consistently with IPS to be equivalent, which is easier said than done in most dungeons and also just a pain in the rear end to keep switching your target to the back one in the line.

Ort fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 29, 2020

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, my experience was a lot of kiting the pack of 12 angry evil nerds I was fighting around a corner I'd cleared straight into a pack of 12 freshly spawned angry evil nerds while my healer companion was running on Echoes of Power fumes the entire time. One advantage of Arcane Archer is that I have no problems at all with damage type resistance or corrosion which I guess is why I could go through the gargoyles, ochres, medusas and other "hard" monsters on no problem. The problem was that all my character does is shoot one guy very hard so the multiple large packs of archer humanoid trash really wrecked me.

Anyhow, clearly Elite was just way too much work for my newbie rear end but is it truly not intended to be solo:d on any difficulty? I kinda want to do it because I do have a soft spot for ToEE the module; Troika's version is the best computer implementation of PnP D&D ever made in all its janky dungeon crawl glory.

E: In general I don't mind that they made ToEE into a janky dungeon crawl that kills you -- that is the essence of the module, really -- I just wish that they'd have told me that this adventure works differently than all the others before I spent like an hour very slowly grinding my way through endless respawning cultist trash on Elite and feeling like I was getting nowhere. Also that they'd settled for just having Wil Wheaton as the DM voice, which he does a perfectly OK job at, without also scattering Wil Wheaton's Orb of Inane Musings randomly about the place.

Honestly when not solo (or solo on a strong character) I can deal with the big packs easily enough... but the end bosses of both (but especially part 2) are so extreme I pretty much never even attempt ToEE on elite.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

There are a few quests in the game where the balance is messed up, TOEE is one of the more obvious ones. It used to be very end game content and the heroic versions balance is harder to adjust for than epic.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
Would love to come back to DDO, but playing in the euro time zone means zero chance of getting a consistent low level party and most people playing now are on their Nth life where N is triple digits and just bum rush everything on elite.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
So i'm mostly playing hardcore these days, but i'd love to do some raids on Argo. Maybe we can get a group going for Shroud some night?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Jinx posted:

Would love to come back to DDO, but playing in the euro time zone means zero chance of getting a consistent low level party and most people playing now are on their Nth life where N is triple digits and just bum rush everything on elite.

Honestly there are a ton of European players in this game, and the nice thing about reincarnating is content is always being run. Lots of people do blitz things but honestly its still paced pretty well even with them doing it, and there's plenty of groups who hate to blitz as well.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

victrix posted:

i am usually more active but as i have a newborn i have a hard time to play. Join the Order of the Ten Bux if you want (i can get you an invite now, but you can always do that later. join an active guild, learn and see if you want to play. we'll still be there)

usually Death's Hand and Tycoons of Tomorrow are pretty active. i'm sure there are tons more. I can try to explain some of the more confusing elements if you want, though playing with experienced people and asking questions will help a ton.

For UI scaling i just find another resolution in my aspect ratio and use that. It's not ideal but it works. You can also use really small icons since eventually you are working with mostly keyboard shortcuts.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Perpetual Notion posted:

Honestly there are a ton of European players in this game, and the nice thing about reincarnating is content is always being run. Lots of people do blitz things but honestly its still paced pretty well even with them doing it, and there's plenty of groups who hate to blitz as well.

seconding this. if you don't want to blitz try putting 'flower sniffing' when you create your party. generally that means that the leader wants to take your time. I'm sure there are guilds on each server that cater to that play style as well. From that standpoint most of the goons coming in haven't played in ages so they don't know the quests. don't be shy and party up

I also can’t emphasize enough how nice most players of this game are. If you tell someone you’re new you will most likely find someone in your group willing to slow down, explain every part of the dungeon to you, and even spend an hour explaining mechanics or systems they notice you may not have come across. It’s one of the best things you can do as a new player.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Ort posted:

I also can’t emphasize enough how nice most players of this game are. If you tell someone you’re new you will most likely find someone in your group willing to slow down, explain every part of the dungeon to you, and even spend an hour explaining mechanics or systems they notice you may not have come across. It’s one of the best things you can do as a new player.

Just want to add how true this is. People go out of their way to help in the game. For example I was goofing off on hc and joined a reaper group at level 1– the host went out of his way to warn me if I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately we didn’t get to see how I would fare because I died to wild wolves on the way to the quest.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Ort posted:

exactly. when i came back last september I had folks that stopped questing and just started teaching me the game for like 2 hours. i'm trying to pay it forward now.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
Summer Sails Event! Deep discounts in the DDO Store each week in July!
See this week's specials: http://bit.ly/1q0nYGE

sale on gnome race and falconry among other things. experience tomes as well for what that's worth

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
ive been caught up in other poo poo but i want to try to get my hc character to 20 i think i can do it if i play slow and safe on normal. when does the hc server shut down?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

snergle posted:

ive been caught up in other poo poo but i want to try to get my hc character to 20 i think i can do it if i play slow and safe on normal. when does the hc server shut down?

Season runs to September 22nd.

I'm too gung-ho for HC league, quite apart from not having played enough to know where stuff is. I'd really like the horsie but I've snuffed it stupidly to traps on every character; got to 1k favor on my best attempt. Most of the deaths were entirely avoidable, I just constantly take "I can probably make it past this" gambles when the entire point of the league is sticking to strictly "I can definitely make it past this" gambles.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I tried googling but couldn't really find much of anything. I've been using Zehnpai's first life friendly GOO build with my tiefling warlock and so far it's been working very well for me, but last night I finally noticed the new pact options for warlocks and I was wondering if any of them were possibly better than the pact/build I'm currently using.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Thinking about getting back into this, but I don't have the time to be chasing down groups.
How's the solo experience these days, and any build recommendations for that?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

solo's good these days. there's plenty of first-life friendly builds. couple examples:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/514782-An-easy-warlock-levelling-build-for-players-of-any-experience-level

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/513519-U45-THF-Paladin-for-Racial-Lives

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

Thinking about getting back into this, but I don't have the time to be chasing down groups.

It’s a question of what difficulty you play on and what your objective is. If you play normal difficult really anything can work. Note- traps can be very annoying and rogue hirelings cost ddo points to hire. That said you can flex most builds into trapping if you put your mind to it.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
Warforged is on sale for 248 ddo points. it's not listed on the site. i recommend picking it up if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

A healbot hireling will carry you through most of the content solo once you know what you're doing. You'll probably start having trouble when you get up to the upper 20s but most of the time you'll do just fine.