Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

M_Sinistrari posted:

I tried googling but couldn't really find much of anything. I've been using Zehnpai's first life friendly GOO build with my tiefling warlock and so far it's been working very well for me, but last night I finally noticed the new pact options for warlocks and I was wondering if any of them were possibly better than the pact/build I'm currently using.

I reincarnated my archer as a warlock and went with Carceri. Far as I can tell the new pacts are intentionally kinda gimmicky and you shouldn't feel bad for not having picked them.

Celestial is almost entirely defensive buffs. They're good defensives, but seems like it mainly works well if you want to play around with Enlightened Spirit to make a tanky melee warlock, or if you're buffing a group.

Abyss making you undead is interesting, but far as I know it has no way to strip negative energy resistance from other undead so your blasts are very limited unless you have a pale master friend (or spend 4 levels and 22 AP on wizard and then weave undead forms, which sounds awful). I assume someone, somewhere made an all-undead gimmick party in which case I'm sure it's great.

Carceri is less gimmicky and more like the older pacts, but not necessarily that strong. You get some cold dots, which are pretty niche especially when Consume exists. Cold isn't a very good damage type and your passives are kinda weak. On the plus side, it targets will which is nice, cold has the best death animation and Absolute Zero seems hilarious (I don't have it yet).

Great Old One gets a bunch of really good control spells, acid is a very good blast damage type, you target will, and Knock is great to have when playing without a rogue.

If you're minmaxing for some endgame thing I think you'd probably go tiefling with Fiend to strip fire immunities and hurl things through hell or half elf and Fey to make the reapers dance, but acid is better than either as a first life solo leveling thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Xerophyte posted:

I reincarnated my archer as a warlock and went with Carceri. Far as I can tell the new pacts are intentionally kinda gimmicky and you shouldn't feel bad for not having picked them.

Celestial is almost entirely defensive buffs. They're good defensives, but seems like it mainly works well if you want to play around with Enlightened Spirit to make a tanky melee warlock, or if you're buffing a group.

Abyss making you undead is interesting, but far as I know it has no way to strip negative energy resistance from other undead so your blasts are very limited unless you have a pale master friend (or spend 4 levels and 22 AP on wizard and then weave undead forms, which sounds awful). I assume someone, somewhere made an all-undead gimmick party in which case I'm sure it's great.

Carceri is less gimmicky and more like the older pacts, but not necessarily that strong. You get some cold dots, which are pretty niche especially when Consume exists. Cold isn't a very good damage type and your passives are kinda weak. On the plus side, it targets will which is nice, cold has the best death animation and Absolute Zero seems hilarious (I don't have it yet).

Great Old One gets a bunch of really good control spells, acid is a very good blast damage type, you target will, and Knock is great to have when playing without a rogue.

If you're minmaxing for some endgame thing I think you'd probably go tiefling with Fiend to strip fire immunities and hurl things through hell or half elf and Fey to make the reapers dance, but acid is better than either as a first life solo leveling thing.

Okay, thanks. I'm not really looking to go ready for endgame, but more go with a solid build to see how much I can solo with on my roster.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
is there anyone playing on hc still? ive been going slow on it and im about to be lvl 4 but this quest stealthy repossession seems impossible for a barb to solo . my 2h weapon just cleaves every single prophet down. its a lvl 2 quest so i guess i can just skip it but my game plan was to do every quest while 1-2 levels over it so i dont miss favor. also ive never even had a lvl 20 character so if this character makes it far i want it to be my main when i can xfer it off

edit nm i forgot about the hc ddo goon discord. asking in there.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 15, 2020

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
That quest sucks I’d skip it or just try to run to the end without killing anything, which is not very easy.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Alternatively, throw on a 1h or 1h and shield. Kill all non-prophet enemies and when you need to pull a switch, kite the enemy away a little and run back (sprint boost if you have it).

The prophets don't hit very hard and you hopefully have blood tribute if you need it.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

snergle posted:

is there anyone playing on hc still? ive been going slow on it and im about to be lvl 4 but this quest stealthy repossession seems impossible for a barb to solo . my 2h weapon just cleaves every single prophet down. its a lvl 2 quest so i guess i can just skip it but my game plan was to do every quest while 1-2 levels over it so i dont miss favor. also ive never even had a lvl 20 character so if this character makes it far i want it to be my main when i can xfer it off

edit nm i forgot about the hc ddo goon discord. asking in there.

there are generally also "2's groups" that will do repo but you have to group with pubbies. generally i think pubbies in this game aren't too bad.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

ThePotatoMasher posted:

there are generally also "2's groups" that will do repo but you have to group with pubbies. generally i think pubbies in this game aren't too bad.

Honestly it's some of the best grouping I've had of any mmo, period. Not sure what it is about the people that play-- I assume it's an older audience. But other than some people wimping out in the middle of quests because they don't want to accept their fate, it's always good grouping.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ThePotatoMasher posted:

yeah i tryed to make a group for it but noone joined im assuming because im doing it on normal. i was able to finally do it by killing 5/6 prophets then memorizing where they were on a different character then just using my sprint boots to get there click buttons pick up gem and use cleave to smash everything. would love to group with someone who can open it @ a higher difficulty for me but im only play 1-2 hrs a day from like 10 am est to noonish. except a couple days ago i was able to do it for like 4hrs starting @ noon.

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 17, 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
woo got lvl 6. slow and steady towards 20 for hc. also i joined a guild on the hc server and holy poo poo these buffs are insane.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

snergle posted:

woo got lvl 6. slow and steady towards 20 for hc. also i joined a guild on the hc server and holy poo poo these buffs are insane.

Hopefully you can also find folks to play with more easily. Use that guild chat 😁

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

snergle posted:

That's how far I made it on the hardcore before dying in stupid three-barrel cove.

I'm on Argo now and in some guild that sucked up everyone, but will look for a goon online over the next few days who can get me in. I've been soloing and am 12 right now, running everything I can on elite to maximize favor.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You can also just post your Argo character name and one of us can in-game mail you an invite.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
is there a good crafting guide?

also i did the pit ( on normal) and holy gently caress i had to look up a guide and watch a video when i got stuck which was often but this quest is the best and they reward you with an insane hit of xp afterwards. kinda wanna redo it on hard but im scared of the lightning room.

when i finally got to the top of the third furnance i let out a gently caress yeah. i was doing it solo but i had a hireling to pull the switch to launch me up most of the way.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

snergle posted:

also i did the pit ( on normal) and holy gently caress i had to look up a guide and watch a video when i got stuck which was often but this quest is the best and they reward you with an insane hit of xp afterwards. kinda wanna redo it on hard but im scared of the lightning room.

when i finally got to the top of the third furnance i let out a gently caress yeah. i was doing it solo but i had a hireling to pull the switch to launch me up most of the way.

There are a lot of random tools out there for different kinds of crafting. Unfortunately, there are a bazillion kinds of crafting in this game. I'd say Cannith crafting is likely a good place to start, but you should check out this page https://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

DemonMage posted:

You can also just post your Argo character name and one of us can in-game mail you an invite.

Please invite my paladin, Scuregion

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

snergle posted:

http://ccplanner.byethost14.com/?i=1

this is a crafting calculator, it will let you know what shards can be used on what pieces and what the effect will be at what level as well as the effective level range for that particular result (ie: weapon bonus damages are like 1d6 of an affix from 1-3 then at lvl 4 it goes up to 2d6 until 9 where it goes up again and so on) it will also tell you how many cannith essences and collectibles each recipe will take, as well as what quests on what difficulty those collectibles can be reliably harvested. (mouse over the collectible listed and it gives you a little popup list)

As far as leveling crafting the best advice I can give you is get a boatload of cannith essences, buy a bunch of crafting xp potions and wait for bonus crafting days (not super commmon anymore but they honestly dont really need to be) then just craft a crapton of level x shards. I did all my leveling back in the days of the elemental essences crafting which was a pain in the dick but it seems much easier now. Just avoid using collectible recipes if you can those get expensive fast and aren't as easy to come by as you think.

Also, I too love the pit. I have it pretty much memorized, but need to consult a map as far as which wing is off which floor, but thats about it. I wish there was an epic version for ER leveling, but my wife hates it with a fiery passion and I have to pike her through it every round of TRs we do.

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 10, 2020

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
Using the codes from the op just tells me there has been an error and I need to call customer service, anyone else?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Knightsoul posted:

Please invite my paladin, Scuregion

Done

On a side note, i'm considering moving a character to Thelanis. I'd really like to do raiding again and the population seems a lot better there.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
is temple of elemental evil super hard? its the last level 7s i need to do before i take my hc character to 12. i usually look a quest up on ddo wiki so i know where the traps are and what type so i can use the appropriate resist potion. but ive seen alot of streamers say they skip it every time on hc as its dangerous and long but they also do everything on elite or r1 and i would be doing it on normal with a hireling or maybe some people if i find any.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

snergle posted:

is temple of elemental evil super hard? its the last level 7s i need to do before i take my hc character to 12. i usually look a quest up on ddo wiki so i know where the traps are and what type so i can use the appropriate resist potion. but ive seen alot of streamers say they skip it every time on hc as its dangerous and long but they also do everything on elite or r1 and i would be doing it on normal with a hireling or maybe some people if i find any.

It is a marathon compared to the other content. It is really long and there are very few shines AND you have to listen to Wil Wheaton talk about how great he is. Honestly, I skip it because of Wil Wheaton but once you learn the layout its not that bad.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lorem ipsum posted:

It is a marathon compared to the other content. It is really long and there are very few shines AND you have to listen to Wil Wheaton talk about how great he is. Honestly, I skip it because of Wil Wheaton but once you learn the layout its not that bad.

gross on the the wil wheaton part. i think im gonna do anyways though. im close to the next rank of gate keepers patron thing. the gary gygax in delaria tomb wasnt that bad i hope most guest dms are more in that vein.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

snergle posted:

gross on the the wil wheaton part. i think im gonna do anyways though. im close to the next rank of gate keepers patron thing. the gary gygax in delaria tomb wasnt that bad i hope most guest dms are more in that vein.

I would strongly recommend against doing part 2 on elite. The final boss is extreme and sometimes buggy... and that goes quadruple if you've never done it before.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

snergle posted:

Gary... it sounds like they made him narrate from his deathbed. They got Travis from crit role to do against the slave lords so thats kinda cool.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Zarick posted:

I would strongly recommend against doing part 2 on elite. The final boss is extreme and sometimes buggy... and that goes quadruple if you've never done it before.

thanks for the heads up ill do it on normal

Lorem ipsum posted:

Gary... it sounds like they made him narrate from his deathbed. They got Travis from crit role to do against the slave lords so thats kinda cool.

he didnt sound that bad to me just not really into it. i did see his tribute gravestone though

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

Dave Arneson did Threnal, I think, and he sounds like he's phoning it in super hard, like reading lines straight off of paper.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Zarick posted:

Dave Arneson did Threnal, I think, and he sounds like he's phoning it in super hard, like reading lines straight off of paper.

Yea, I mean Dave is certainly the worst DM but I think the very first lines of Delera's first quest hit me as being really bad every time.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They should just stick to professional VAs for the DM narration. Scott McNeil did a very good job on the second expansion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Keith Baker was fine as a cameo for Sharn

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
temple of elemental evil wasn't that bad i would of solo'd it in like 45mins but right before i went to the final floor a bunch of people joined and were alittle lost so i had to go back to the entrance and get everyone. i followed a combination of the wiki and a guide i found googling it. After reading up on part 2 I decided not to do it because the boss seems very intense for a normal server and very dangerous on hc.

The stuff in there has a ton of hp for lvl 7 though so i can see why people avoid it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, especially the boss fights. They feel like a jump in difficulty over the rest of the dungeon.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

snergle posted:

temple of elemental evil wasn't that bad

Ya, but did you click all the orbs

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lorem ipsum posted:

Ya, but did you click all the orbs

no. i clicked the first one and decided i didnt care because i didnt want to hear someone masturbate over nostalgia

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I just set the DM narrator volume to 0 for the bad ones, which also silences those orbs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

With Haunted Halls you get actual insight into its design from the original designer. Say what you want about Greenwood but he made a decent dungeon crawl that I genuinely enjoy running.

Baller Time posted:

I just set the DM narrator volume to 0 for the bad ones, which also silences those orbs

A game where you can shut up Wesley.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I just duoed Reaver's Fate for the first time in like 6 years. Solved the puzzle with like 5 seconds to spare. I'm hoping to do shroud later this week and then see whats up with the newer raids.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

super sweet best pal posted:

With Haunted Halls you get actual insight into its design from the original designer. Say what you want about Greenwood but he made a decent dungeon crawl that I genuinely enjoy running.

A game where you can shut up Wesley.

nice ill have to get the orbs in that one then. that sounds way more interesting then omg remember when i was 11 and i played this all summer it was the best.

I just did the slaver arc on reaper and im glad i didnt end up soloing it on normal its a well designed and fun set of dungeons with a group in a hard difficulty. looking foward to thernal and von. seems like lvl 8 has alot of quest chain beginings.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I started playing about 2 weeks ago after previously trying the game when it went f2p in 09. I was having fun with it so I got a VIP account so I have access to more than what was available for f2p.

I am currently playing a Dragonborn Alchemist named Arcitax Flamecaller(the last part is the surname if that matters with messaging) if anyone would like to send me a guild invite on Argo.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

logger posted:

I started playing about 2 weeks ago after previously trying the game when it went f2p in 09. I was having fun with it so I got a VIP account so I have access to more than what was available for f2p.

I am currently playing a Dragonborn Alchemist named Arcitax Flamecaller(the last part is the surname if that matters with messaging) if anyone would like to send me a guild invite on Argo.

Check yo mailbox. What level are you at now?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Lorem ipsum posted:

Check yo mailbox. What level are you at now?

Level 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Make sure you play the Sharn Syndicate quests!