Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Well he helped killed the Internet Archives

https://twitter.com/nytimesbooks/status/1271170158896254981

quote:

Internet Archive is ending its program of offering free, unrestricted copies of e-books because of a lawsuit from publishers, which said lending out books without compensation for authors or publishing houses was “willful mass copyright infringement.”

Since March, Internet Archive, a nonprofit, has made more than 1.3 million books available online without restriction, calling them a National Emergency Library. It said the program was in place “to serve the nation’s displaced learners” during the coronavirus pandemic, and that it would keep the library open until June 30 or the end of the U.S. national emergency, whichever came later.

In a blog post published on Wednesday, however, it said it would close the library next week. It said that the “vast majority” of people used the e-books for a very short period of time, so could be served under the organization’s normal restrictions, which included limiting checkouts to 14 days.

The lawsuit, filed June 1, does not just object to the National Emergency Library but to the way Internet Archive has long operated. Traditional libraries pay publishers licensing fees, and agree to terms that restrict how many times they can lend an e-book. Internet Archive, by contrast, takes books that have been donated or purchased, scans them and posts them online.

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
according to google, he writes star wars comic books

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I weep

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Much like his namesake the dreaded Wendigo, Chuck must consume human lives to extend his unnatural life.
And his heart is a solid lump of ice.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he got paid to write the words: The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Bonaventure posted:

he got paid to write the words: The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 12, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Jesus wept

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I hate both of these people. And probably whoever has those avatars along the bottom too, just to be safe

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

he seems like a really big rear end in a top hat

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I don't know about Alexander Chee, and this Wendig sounds like a jerk, but Colson Whitehead is a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner and the recipient of a MacArthur grant.

For Wendig it's probably just the money and jerkery, but Whitehead surely doesn't need it. Maybe he's a jerk in his spare time.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

This possibly tops that Kevin Smith "dick p0wn" tweet as being the worst of all time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

n...no. no.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
This man is, somehow, everything I dislike about Firefly

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

He created Wingdings

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Makes sense I would assume most Americans believe that poor people shouldn’t be able to read, they should bootstrap themselves and write their on novels

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Do it ironically posted:

Makes sense I would assume most Americans believe that poor people shouldn’t be able to read, they should bootstrap themselves and write their on novels

Most Americans believe that the poor should be forced to suffer 24/7 until they magic themselves to not be poor.

If they're just sitting around reading, how are they supposed to make money???? I don't pay my taxes just so some lazy slob can read a book all day long!!!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
comics writers, just as a note, tend to be really insane about piracy compared to the general public for a few reasons.

1) the vast, vast majority of comics writers have at least one creator-owned indie book through Image or IDW or Boom Studios or *insert laundry list of indie publishers here*. while you're not taking food out of their mouths by pirating, say, New Avengers or Uncanny X-Men or Detective Comics, if you pirate something like Uber or The Wicked & The Divine or Saga, you actually are hurting the creative team because their payment depends 100% on how much the book sells (vs. being a flat page rate for work-for-hire).

2) comics are insanely commonly pirated. you can literally find anything i mentioned just now, along with basically any other comic in existence, on multiple online readers by googling them and adding "read free," and you can find them to download just as easily by adding "cbr cbz." comics fans haven't liked to pay for anything for basically as long as the internet has been a thing; before this, there was a whole-rear end livejournal group, scans_daily, where people would frequently post entire comics.

basically, comics writers are maybe the one group of people on planet Earth, aside from possibly the most successful tiers of indie musicians and Kindle writers, who both have a bone to pick with piracy and a reasonable, sane basis for this bone to pick. not only does it frequently directly harm them, but it's also common enough that this harm is actually quantifiable and obvious.

with that said, though, going after poo poo in other media that don't have these weird factors is brainwormy as gently caress. i'm... actually fairly sure archive.org didn't have any comics uploaded, or if they did, it was an absolute drop in the bucket compared to the numerous sites that exist solely for comic piracy. so, while I think Wendig's viewpoint is defensible, I don't think his actions in service of that viewpoint are at all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Lowtax gets banned from Twitter yet Chuck Wendig still has an account.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mega64 posted:

Lowtax gets banned from Twitter yet Chuck Wendig still has an account.

He has the best breast milk.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
son of a bitch, the internet archive a great website for hosting old b movies that lowtax had, I'll kill him!!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's cool that everyone was scared of faceless corporations ruining the Internet Archive when it's actually Chuck Wendig, some idiot dork who writes bad Star Wars comics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's cool that everyone was scared of faceless corporations ruining the Internet Archive when it's actually Chuck Wendig, some idiot dork who writes bad Star Wars comics.

the other side of this is i'm pretty sure chuck wendig doesn't actually have the money to sue the fuckin' internet archive. as you mentioned, he's just some idiot dork who writes Star Wars comics (though, honestly, the ones he wrote are fine).

if he's involved with the actual lawsuit at all, it's a Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker situation where he's getting bankrolled by, you guessed it, faceless corporations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the other side of this is i'm pretty sure chuck wendig doesn't actually have the money to sue the fuckin' internet archive. as you mentioned, he's just some idiot dork who writes Star Wars comics (though, honestly, the ones he wrote are fine).

if he's involved with the actual lawsuit at all, it's a Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker situation where he's getting bankrolled by, you guessed it, faceless corporations.

Very true, but this would have never happened if it wasn't Wendig making GBS threads his pants all over Twitter.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Thank you for finding this insufferable rear end in a top hat

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

(though, honestly, the ones he wrote are fine).

phyew

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This guy loving sucks and he should be tried at the Hague for his abominable Twitter posts which the infinite Mercy of God could not even forgive

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don't flumpty-like him.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

gleebster posted:

For Wendig it's probably just the money and jerkery,

The website showed that his book had been downloaded twice. So probably just jerkery.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That's actually who I was scared of. I always knew those idiot dorks who write bad Star Wars comics were gonna ruin the internet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
what a oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

quote:

Traditional libraries pay publishers licensing fees, and agree to terms that restrict how many times they can lend an e-book.

jesus. how many people are even reading ebooks from libraries? maybe once everyone is using nothing but libraries and not buying books they should look at lovely measure like that, but this is stupid.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quotey posted:

jesus. how many people are even reading ebooks from libraries? maybe once everyone is using nothing but libraries and not buying books they should look at lovely measure like that, but this is stupid.

A lot of people borrow digital content from libraries. E-Audiobooks are definitely a thing and you can borrow those too. Buying a physical cd audiobook tends to be very pricey

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Quotey posted:

Lots and lots of people, actually. My mom downloads e-books from her local library system and reads them on her Chromebook 2-in-1 thing all the time.

I agree that killing the Internet Archive's e-books is loving dumb though!!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Fartington Butts posted:

I don't flumpty-like him.

Flggggnnnnnmmmflorp!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
chuck wendig can suck the poo poo from my rear end in a top hat!!!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Muscle Wizard posted:

:yeah:

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Muscle Wizard posted:

same but from my breasts

I poo poo out of my breasts

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Chuck Wendig can climb into my rear end in a top hat and eat his way out. You suck, Chuck.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

If I ever needed a reason not to use Twitter I think this would be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
gently caress Chuck