Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The DMV today in 2020 sucks and is a hassle, and that's with a lot of the stuff doable online. Imagine what it was like before the internet.

The DMV always has two separate lines and the thing you need can only be fulfilled by one of them. There is a DMV employee whose entire job seems to be to direct you to the wrong line for what you need.

The DMV is a dystopian nightmare because a big chunk of it - vehicle registration renewals - are bullshit. A vehicle should be titled/registered once per owner when they either buy the vehicle or move into the state. Instead we've designed a byzantine sticker system where vehicles need to be registered annually so that police have an excuse to pull people over - disproportionately people who have trouble affording the annual registration fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dear Watson posted:

Who goes to a DMV still? My car registration is all done either by online or at the emissions shop.

I think our drivers licenses are renewed online too.

I live in a state where car registrations can be renewed online every year, emissions are tested every 2 years (and you can't renew the car registration until it's tested), and then licenses are done in person, but every four years.

I last renewed my license in 2017 and was surprised that I had to take a written test. It was basically just the shapes all of the obscure road signs you never see without colors or text/pictures. I was so sure while taking it that I was going to fail and have to enroll in some dumbass state run class, but then I turned it in and the lady glanced at it and said I passed.

Frankly, the whole thing felt like a prank.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HungryMedusa posted:

We get to the photo and she goes “look here” and points to a sign that basically says “look here.” I do. She says “no, look here” pointing at the same sign. She snaps the photo. On my ID I am making the stupidest face ever. A combo of “huh” and “wtf”. Its a hilariously bad photo.

This reminds me of the last time I had to renew my license, which included doing a new photo. I looked towards the camera naturally, and the lady was like, "Tilt your head down," so I did a little. And then she's like, "No, tilt your head down more, keep going, keep going, okay." I wasn't ostrich necking for the photo or anything, so I feel awkward, and I immediately know this isn't right when she snaps the photo. I don't get to see it until 20 minutes later when they issue my new card and the photo looks like I'm trying to make myself look like a frog or something - like when Ricky Gervais used to make weird faces in his bathtub and post it to twitter.

People who work at the DMV are weird motherfuckers who get their jollies in the dumbest loving ways.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It’s probably racism. When certain family members of mine start bitching about the BMV (the Indiana DMV) it usually turns into a racially motivated tirade.

That having been said, nobody enjoys going there.

I lived in Indiana for a few years. Every time I hear "BMV," I just think, "BM... huh huh huh huh huh."