Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

The other problem is that the way Trump is “good” at debates is because he’s an aggressive bully - which is a specific characteristic that independent voters/soft Republicans have already left Trump because of - and him being a dick and mocking Biden on stage isn’t going to win anyone back. The only way for him to win in any effective sense that would help him in his campaign is to win on the issues - which is never going to happen.

My recollection from 2016 is Trump thrived in the crowded primary debates, but just kind of floated around awkwardly when it was 1v1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Working in schools I'd say I have noticed a lot more political awareness.
Even among Elementary age kids.
Of course that doesn't mean there aren't still tons of clueless people.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pick posted:

Aired only on the gorilla channel

You joke, but the last one of these was pretty much just broadcast in the DC area so that Trump would see it.
Like there's no point to broadcast stuff like this in DC, as blue a city as it gets. Unless you hope a certain person who lives in DC and watches nonstop TV is going to see it.

They are literally directly trolling him.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The difference is the polling that year was unstable as gently caress. It kept vacillating between that kind of situation, and them being really close or worse.
Meanwhile Biden's been ahead of Trump comfortably and eerily stably since basically the start.

Right now is an aberration only in the sense that is Trump is doing terribly rather than badly against him. So a return to the norm would be like.. still good.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

How can you have 2016 PTSD and not remember the constant "phew! .... AUGHHH .... phew!.... AUGHHH" rollercoaster as the polls kept showing Hillary break away and then have Trump come rushing back up all over again each time.

Nothing even remotely like that has been happening this entire cycle.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Wrong thread lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

pthighs posted:

A great indicator of this I saw mentioned in some article is that the Trump campaign doesn't have any Biden merchandise for sale. Think of all the Hillary for Prison shirts from 2016, etc. He literally doesn't know what to do going against a non-black man/non-woman.

It would be a fitting end to Trump's presidency that he became paralyzed when not able to use bigotry against an opponent.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Texas among other states is re-entering full on Covidpocalypse, so I'm quite sure their opinions on the current administration are up in the air as anything.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Saw this on twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/OANN/status/1276284793089429504

They are still holding up this poll Gravis did for them as proof Trump is not in danger

https://twitter.com/OANN/status/127...biden-in-n-c%2F

You're missing the funniest aspect, which is them still focusing on the specific CNN poll. And not like, all the countless other polls.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Arizona absolutely should be campaigned in.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1276285377595281408

I'm shocked that Joe actually managed to endorse a good and obvious platform

The optics of "extremely black city, literally nicknamed Chocolate City. doesn't have full representation" are pretty glaring right now.
A lot of the play it safe moderate crowd seems to be falling behind it all of a sudden. See also: Pelosi.

Of course this being a real deal thing would have to wait until a potential senate takeover by Dems.

Grape fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 26, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Choose posted:

"Chocolate City" has been a known nickname for Washington DC since the early 1970s.

Yes, I'm well aware?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

rko posted:

I’m not trying to pick a fight, I’m trying to have a debate and/or discussion here in the debate and discussion forum. If this thread is supposed to just be a feel-good place for you to all congratulate each other for winning a presidential election that hasn’t actually happened yet, someone should edit the title and OP to reflect that.

What a stirring, inspiring vision for a sustainable Democratic majority.

Anyway I get that these arguments aren’t welcome here, so I’ll take my posts to the bad thread where they can be safely ignored. Enjoy your weekend, everyone.

e: wow, what a loving lovely snipe. Unfortunate.

gently caress off idiot.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You'd think, but Trump has such an iron grip on the chuds that they will do whatever he tells them--and if he senses even a WHIFF of rebellion among the rank-and-file, he'll start viciously attacking whoever is responsible.

But if they're seeing electoral negatives from associating with him his attacks won't have the same bite.
I mean this is really only going to apply to select Republicans in maybe purple areas, but at the end of the day Trump will not be as scary as losing their job in the first place. Especially if it looks like he's losing himself.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

OAquinas posted:

I wouldn't bet on it though, especially if Tuberville is the GOP nom. The good news (for everyone Not Doug Jones) is that the field is so wide you can bake in his seat as being lost and still have a ton of paths to majority.

I've basically been looking at things with that very assumption.

I wish him luck though.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

No paywall NYT article about new polling

http://archive.is/xoVtl

So are we to assume that lots of Michiganers didn't take kindly to Trump's attacks on their governor?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Rigel posted:

lol....

drat it, "Sleepy Joe" isn't working. Quick! Someone help me come up with a killer nickname that'll ensure victory!

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1277345163338276864

Swampy Joe sounds like a legendary redneck villain, like Stagger Lee or Solomon Grundy.
That just makes Biden sound cool and edgy.

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 29, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

*in gravely Nick Cave voice*

Yeah lemme tell ya about a night when the wind did blow, when twenty five men didn't live no mo'
Yeah, Swampy Joe, ohhhh Swampy Joe

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Do you people have a thread for this? Because this aint it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's the thing. Most voters seem to accept Biden as the Lesser of Two Rapists and have made their peace with it. There's a ton of stuff between now and November that could sink him but I can't even imagine an "October surprise" that would meaningfully move the needle in a political environment like this.

Would Trump even be capable of an October surprise? He'd blab about whatever it is within days of finding out about it. His handlers wouldn't be able to tell him to wait for the right moment.

Hell last time the October surprise came from a total third party with Comey.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

DutchDupe posted:

PPP has Biden up four in Georgia:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1277596025230897154

It also polled the Senate race for Kelly Loeffler's senate seat which is starting to drive me nuts:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1277596989094494210

We are on the cusp of not even having a Democrat running in the general election for this seat. This same poll has Warnock beating Loeffler by 3 and losing to Collins by 2, but Lieberman is playing a massive spoiler game that could ruin this opportunity.

The Lieberman family's speciality is loving with elections. Take it from CT.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Trump's strategic weekend must have involved using a monkey's paw to wish away focus on protests and Covid.
Because :stare:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's going to be pretty funny when Biden inherits this mess and the riots don't stop. Millions of loyal Democrats will be faced with the reality that electoral victory is pointless without meaningful reform. I give it till March for the party to turn on the protesters, calling them "impatient, violent, and misguided". Everyone will be flabbergasted as to why these demonstrators don't celebrate the victorious party, and Joe Biden will complain that his inauguration crowd was affected by the protests. The circle will be complete.

Does Biden have ANY coherent plan to win votes off the riots? Or the coming housing crisis?

An interesting question for another thread.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

We paid a bunch of Afghanistan resistance fighters to kill Soviets, both with money and weapons.

And you're right, everyone understands what's going on, and it's the same poo poo that's been happening since the cold war. The only people who care are Democratic loyalists who were already voting for Biden.

The only way for Biden to make people care would be to announce that he's pulling all troops out of the middle east, but we all kinds know he's never going to do that.

Some of you guys don't seem to have interacted with everyday people for quite some time (in a non quarantine sense that is).
I am not saying that as a dig either. D&D/C-Spam is not the public at large in any sense.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Republicans stating the country is on the wrong track won't be saying it for good reasons, but it might still be indicating positive results.
Something more along the lines of "Trump is unable/won't deliver on his promises, Gorsuch was a dud for example. President is a failure robble robble".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I think more than anything he's terrified that he would fail at what Obama succeeded at.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pick posted:

I know a lot of folks who are younger don't talk to very many elderly people, but they were absolutely aghast at the fact that literally the president and his associates were saying that they should die. Also, the Republicans have not really changed directions on that, so it's not like their perspective has changed and they feel like if these people continue to be in power that they will be safe now.

The few elderly folks I know were extremely anti-Trump to begin with, but yeah putting that aside, the psychological effect of Corona very very clearly weighs heavily on them in a way that's different from other people.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

All the avenues to fixing things for himself require some mixture of empathy, swallowing pride, actually sitting down and doing dry and tough governance, and dealing and talking frankly about an unrosy outlook on things with the public.

All things he is 100% incapable of doing.

He doesn't feel other people's problems.
He can't admit he's wrong on anything.
He's a lazy poo poo with the attention span of a puppy.
And he is LEAST capable of the last one most of all.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

That poll feels like it confirms that Boomers are the worst.

Silents at least have memories of the war/great depression from when they were kids. They're not inherently part of the "REALLY BAD THING is fake! Why can't everything be normal again! I want I want I want!" mindset.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol this isn't even Trump, it's his team's agreed upon message.
And they're still worried Trump won't follow it.

So they're stuck between Trump doing horribly damaging Trump things, and their own extremely terrible message.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

"Hmm, so Biden's people are going with "Trump surrendered to Corona", dang, that's a good one, we gotta come back strong."
"Hey, I know! "Learn to live with it!"
"Brilliant! Second term here we come!"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pick posted:

I'd laugh but... :psyduck:

It's like watching a group of 6 year olds try to babysit a 3 year old.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

*standing in front of huge face of Lincoln*

"And lemme tell you why tearing down Confederate monuments is bad."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

goethe.cx posted:

It’ll be hard for people to believe that when other countries and states have it under control to varying degrees. They can look at Europe or Canada with much better numbers, and even in the US somebody in Florida can see how different things look in Massachusetts or New York.

Which is particularly true of Florida given how many of the retirees down there are from the Northeast.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pick posted:

... Is this real?

"Other statues considered necessary included comedian Gallagher, John Gotti, and a gorilla."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Does Trump not know about the capital building have that two statues per state thing?

Of course he doesn't.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Trump's equivalent of quitting would be to stop trying and become pouty, not actually physically quitting being president.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1279487628732256257 Exactly, this new tweet shows why his polls drowning even with the olds. He doesn’t know how to not make everything an attack on himself and how he is more innocent than baby Jesus.

People talk a lot about Trump and masks and saying stuff out loud.
But it's particularly funny how completely direct and loud he is about "the numbers looking bad is the problem, rather than the problem".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Whiteness can be redefined and extended to more people (and this already happens with latinx people, and that broad demographic is the main reason for non-whites becoming a future majority).

USA: Computer, please begin ColdBrazil.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

DutchDupe posted:

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/1280125225271734277

If this is literally the entire strategy to address COVID-19 then Trump will not win. "Ignore it and hope Americans grow numb to it" in the next four months is, disregarding the moral failings and health implications, a form of political suicide.

They're not paying attention at all to the fact that the new hotspots are mostly not the old hotspots.

Like NYC isn't getting lovely again atm, it's places like Arizona and Florida.
They're so loving dumb it's incredible.