Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Hollismason posted:

I'm really more curious as to the Student Loan crisis, relief Biden has promised it looks really good.

It really hurts at the margins though. I just skimmed through his policy page on it and it only seems to mention lowering payments for undergraduate loans and also his public service loan forgiveness reform plan absolutely screws anyone that has graduate loans. It gives $10k per year, but caps at 5 years of eligible forgiveness.

Just using myself as an example, but I went to law school and accrued over $100k of debt (and my school was a public school with one of the cheaper tuitions available). I went into public service after graduating, turning down higher paying jobs, because I wanted to help and also counting on the availability of debt cancellation for public service after 10 years. I'm now already 5 years in. I've been paying on a income contingent repayment plan this whole time, as public service attorneys don't exactly make big bucks. In fact, my payment is such that I'm not actually lowering the principal of my loan at all. My loan balance is higher now after 5+ years of full time employment and on time payments than it was when I graduated.

Under Biden's proposal I would (I think) immediately earn $50k of debt cancellation, still holding a near-mortgage sized bag of debt, and apparently not qualify for any of the new lower rates as those are specifically for undergraduate loans. It would loving suck for people in a similar position to me, though I do admit it would be a marked improvement for many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I might be reading his plan differently, but it does not seem to change the existing public service forgiveness, just expands it - he calls the existing program broken and says he’ll make a different, simpler program, but that program is very different with different goals - so I would think they’d both work?

"Make loan forgiveness work for public servants by creating a new, simple program that offers $10,000 of undergraduate or graduate student debt relief for every year of national or community service, up to five years."

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

If Jones holds on in Alabama, the Dems are all but guaranteed to have a Senate majority. If they are winning Alabama they almost assuredly are winning AZ, CO, ME, and NC.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

I'd be curious to see them break down that mental/physical stamina question. I have no worries about Biden's physical abilities, but I do about his mental faculties. With Trump both are obviously garbage.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

I'm too lazy to dig it up, but I saw some polling a little while back on favorability by age cohorts. While the young are far and away Biden's best age group they didn't have super high favorability for Biden, they just hated Trump that much.

Which tracks with my anecdotal experiences that younger people are MUCH more cognizant of how much of a racist/sexist piece of poo poo Trump is, whereas the older voters that don't like Trump are more upset about his tone than the underlying message.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

OAquinas posted:

How many distinctions do they need for the race?

You have
Solid
Likely
Lean
Tilt
Tossup
And duplicate for both sides.

Maybe slide in a "skews" or "considers" or perhaps even "flirtingly"?

Petition to change Solid D to Turgid

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The non voters of Texas are overwhelmingly Hispanics which Biden is winning 2 to 1 in the state.

The Dems have been trying to crack the nut of voter participation in the RGV/West for an entire generation. Maybe a pandemic raging through South Texas will be enough, but it's definitely in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm beginning to think this is a massive Producers scam

Run the worst presidential re-election campaign ever, turn up the grift, spice things up with Qanon and horrible policy, collect the donations from lunatics and idiots, funnel it to bank accounts in non-extradition countries

I don't think Trump is smart enough to be in on it though. Those DC ads are both to placate him and keep him in the race to keep the money train going

That was his first campaign, but like The Producers the plan failed and the campaign succeeded.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

I, for one, am shocked that TROOP MOM isn’t doing better in the polls.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

SoggyBobcat posted:

I think when it comes to Texas or other states that are going through rapid growth and demographic changes the trendline is probably more important than specific poll results. Polls might not catch just how quickly things are changing.

2016 President
RCP average: Trump +11.7
Actual result: Trump +9

2018 Senate
RCP average: Cruz +6.8
Actual result: Cruz +2.6

2020 President
RCP average (current): Trump +3.5
Actual result: ???

A significant portion of the growth in the state is actually conservative. Beto won with native Texans in 2018.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Threads starting to sound an awful lot like 2012 Romney supporters.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Glad to see unskewing the polls is back baby!

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Rigel posted:

not legally, the idea is that to earn the write-off in later years you need real losses. People do try to claim fake losses by overstating the value that was "lost", which can bring heavy fines or jail if proven to be fraud.

I’m glad we could bring some levity to this thread with some well-crafted humor.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

first off, it takes time for a case to work its way up to the SC - the aca case right now took several years to finally hit the SC - so there is a lot of value in the mean time. also overturning something like that is a red flag that makes court packing easier.

With the amount of packing the Republicans have been able to do in the District and Circuit courts I have no doubt they will find ways to fast track their suits through the system.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

paternity suitor posted:

I think it’s worth reframing these from “leftist” to “broadly not popular”

M4A when framed as what it is - you will lose your current insurance and get Medicare - is not popular. Medicare if you want it is popular. Expansion and public option are popular.

GND I honestly can’t recall polling but if I had to guess, I’d be willing to bet that implementing most of it, which is Biden’s platform, is popular.

Medicare for All when framed as what it is, - free at the point of use medical, vision, dental - is exceedingly popular.

Joe Biden's climate plan, even charitably read, can not seriously be said to "implement most of" the Green New Deal.

I think it's worth reframing this post as "really bad."

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

paternity suitor posted:

From an NPR/Marist poll:

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/22/743516166/npr-newshour-marist-poll-americans-not-sold-on-trump-or-democrats

“Medicare for All” — that is, a national health insurance program for all Americans that replaces private health insurance

42% support

Medicare for all that want it — that is, allow all Americans to choose between a national health insurance program or their own private health insurance

70% support

There’s a valid case here that you could move public sentiment on this, and for what it’s worth I personally believe you could move it, but the current reality is that M4A becomes unpopular when you tell people the truth, which is that you cannot keep your current insurance under M4A.

Yeah no poo poo when you frame it as "the plan that takes away your insurance vs. an option you can choose from" the poll numbers go down. Your original post was "lets change the framing from 'leftist' to 'not popular'" you already showed what your real intent was here.

Here's a nice breakdown on dishonestly framed polling like you're claiming here: https://www.citizen.org/article/getting-the-polling-straight-on-medicare-for-all/

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/stella2020woof/status/1320739525367398400

Crosstabs indicate that this might be bunk (Biden only at 56% with Latinx voters and Trump at 39% somehow), but I'm hesitant to throw it out just based on that.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said to out of state democrats looking to Texas chanting "demographics are destiny" but not all latinos are the same, and in fact, in Texas they are pretty conservative with a fair number of Republicans. That number isn't really all that inconsistent with previous elections in Texas.

e: Apparently I left my page for a while and didn't realize it and missed this entire discussion earlier. Whoops.

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 27, 2020

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

even leaving aside that this wasnt the original topic, you have a missing link here. there is nothing to show that these people would have voted for Bernie. In fact given the last 4 years have been Republican-dominated, this election is a referendum on Trump and the Republicans and the fact that more Hispanics are voting R implies that those particular voters like what they see out of trump.

it's also reductive to reduce discussions of toxic masculinity to 'lol sexist' - Trump is the standard bearer of toxic masculinity, and people can embrace that without also being so misogynist as to refuse to vote for a woman.

I mean, no, we don't have a view to Universe 2 where Bernie is the candidate, but we clearly saw a huge part of his campaign was a targeted campaign of engaging with and turning out latino voters in areas that traditionally got little to no campaign contact. Not to mention that Bernie's campaign focused on providing for a lot of material needs that resonated with the latino community and Biden... doesn't.

And it is incredibly reductive to just wash your hands and claim it's because they're sexists to explain underperformance vs 2016 with Latinos. Nobody is going to argue that Trump is a horrible misogynist monster, but that doesn't mean that everyone that votes for him is the same.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

We're not "writing them off", there is literal actual data to suggest that Trump's small increase among Hispanic men is due to them embracing his particular brand of toxic masculinity. There is no getting those voters back, unless you're somehow insinuating that Joe Biden should go full misogynist.

Weird they seemed to respond to candidate that actually made it a priority to reach out and engage them while offering them policies that would actually help improve their lives.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

eke out posted:

Yes, this is most likely why Joe Biden is winning 60% of them (on the low end) and more like 70 of women.

"There is no getting those voters back, unless you're somehow insinuating that Joe Biden should go full misogynist."

This is what I am responding to. Nobody is denying that there may in fact be a sexist element involved, but the other posters here are the ones arguing we just throw up our hands in exasperation and write off latino men as horrible misogynists who we can't win and are forever lost to the Democrats.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

illcendiary posted:

The Trump effect along the border counties seriously needs some examination. Costing TX dems 250k votes

This kind of thinking drives me insane and is exactly emblematic of why the Democrats did so horribly. Acting like the votes were owed to the Democrats purely because of the ethnic box you check off and no consideration of what Biden could have done better to earn those votes, it must be the "Trump effect."

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

I hope this isn't considered "doomposting" but it seems crazy to be as extremely confident as some of y'all seem to be about Biden having this in the bag. Yes, the trends appear to point to Biden securing a narrow victory, but that is assuming that the ratio of votes being tallied is constant which seems a little specious.

I think Biden pulls it out here, but I am not all that confident in the result (especially when you throw in the potential for court fuckery). Especially when so much of the confidence in the thread is sourced from the same guys that all got the election prognostication so wrong.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Bolivia actually had two very successful and decisive elections regardless of what the OAS wanted to say, but nah.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Majorian posted:

Nothing that has happened since they made that call has suggested that it will not have been correct, early or not.

Being the first to make a call with a significant percentage of the vote uncounted and an ultimate margin in the singular thousands is loving up. Just because you end up being correct in your call does not mean your process was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

zoux posted:

If, after all this, Democrats end up with a slim trifecta, I don’t think even we will find a way to be miserable about it.

I honestly wonder if Manchin doesn't flip in that scenario.