Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Catching up with the finale and holy poo poo there is a LOT happening. Could h ave easily made 1 or even 2 more episodes of it, but not complaining. I'll just rewatch. Best new series 2020 so far.

Props to the casting department that i immediately thought "This should be Melanie's daughter" as she stepped out of the door. Very intrigued about her feelings towards her mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

My little pet theory for what will happen is that Melanie will die, or at least presumed MIA for the audience and to Snowpiercer, but not before she sends that precious data. Her death will be through something Wilford ordered. Alex finds out about this and changes sides, becoming Snowpiercer's new Melanie.

More ungrounded speaculation: The "W"-Murderer is Osweiler in a desperate attempt to look cool in LJ's eyes.

On an other topic: My two must-watch shows this year so far are The Expanse and Snowpiercer and both have as a central plot the story of a mother who gets in contact with the child she abandoned long ago and now tries to save it from a malicious father (figure). So far, Mel-Alex-Wilford is miles ahead of Naomi-Filip-Marco.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

i don't want to derail (hoho, :itsatrainanalogy:) the thread any further, but to me, it's absolutely Naomi who doesn't work on a believable emotional level and leave it at that.

Also i admit, that a pillar of my "Mel is dying" theory is, that Jennifer Connelly must be quite an expensive asset. Losing her would create an interesting power vacuum as she was an expert in so many fields. She basically ran the drat train on her own the whole time.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I'm just posting to honor the excellent choice of music in the last epsiode. I think it's the first time i heard Radiohead's Street Spirit used anywhere and the tone fitted right in. House of the Rising Sun wasn't bad either.

Also, is this Till's Ex-Girlfriend murdering that Breachman?

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I absolutely love this show and this season so far was great. It's about a big goddamn train. It should be moving on rails, slowly and you know the destination. I love the creativity of the writing and the pace and that you absolutely don't know where it goes next.
To keep the BSG-analogies rolling i'd say i hope Layton's promised land doesn't turn out to be of the Starbuck-from-above category.

I also saw LJ turning coat coming from a mile away and i could nothing but LOL in front of my screen because she totally believes that puts her on the winner side now. Kevin should have a much more gruesome death though. Poor strongboi. Another fantastic thing this show does effortlessly is to make you remember all the little side characters.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Hey i just caught up on the last two episodes and while i agree that both went quite slow on the story-department, i liked them very much. I apprechaite it when a show gives us random background stories to think abeout or takes its time to let some characters breathe and develop and i feel those two episodes did just that. Alex definitely took a spotlight and it worked as i am now really curious, what her relationship to "Dubs" is gonna be. Will Osweiler realize, that the only sane way to go ist to throw his bridezilla of the train?
I never really clicked with Layton, but now i think the problem is, that he is not a ruler, never was or even wanted to be, but he accepted the leadership because someone had to or the revoution would have collapsed then and there. Yeah, i'm slow. The whole birthing scenes where cute and fresh. No complaints. Till remains absolutely solid.

Where do wwe go from here? Wild Meta-speculation (spoilered for people who don't read news about the show online):
As a 4th season was already confirmed, this season can not just end by settling inthe promised land. Option 1 would obviously be "there is no warm zone" and the Laytoncracy will implode which would make for a really bleak season. Option 2 might be something like a New Caprica interlude: Fertile land is found, but due to some problem alike the engine must keep on running to generate power which they would need to live they are forced at least in part to journey on.

I really like how this show makes me think about it. Final thought: Could Josie be part of the bombing crew? She really seemed to not be over Layton and maybe talked Pike into helping her since he already was full of doubt. It would be kinda lame since they made out Pike so obviously, but maybe this time the writers want to pull a surprise twist on us.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Old Ivan's Way was awesome. As soon as he offered Pike a cabin in first class i almost screamed at the sreen Layton you dumb gently caress. This cluelessness absolutely cemented Pike's position in his argument. Interesting that Layton was willing to "offer" his daughter, but drew the line at the risk of exposing his dream of New Eden.

I am sucker for stories about second-tier characters which became an even rarer art since shorter seasons became the thing to do. I mourn the loss of Pike, Strongboi, and the Last Aussies. I am intrigued by the buildup for Alex or what Asha has in her damaged head. Even seeing LJ slipping into the role as Queen of the night car who can arrange things is something i appreciate. And as i saw her putting the Teddy besides Pike, i kinda want a sub-story about a day in the life of Winnipeg (one of the last original Tailies still around?) even if i'm normally quite skeptical with the roles children play in rather serious series.

/NE: Audrey's singing in the last Episode was beautiful. Does anyone know a youtube link or something to a full version?

bou
Aug 3, 2006

i thought the episode was completely ok. I like when a show takes time to bring the viewer closer to the characters. That way i care when something terrible happens in the future. Nowadays too many films rush from sensation to sensation and i just don't care if i'm not connected to the characters somehow. So as soon as i decided this is the intention of the episode, i immediately thought that someone will die next episode. I didn't expect it to happen the same episode and i wouldn't have guessed Asha.
Till - Audrey was really tense cause i can't read Audrey at all and 50/50 expected Audrey to kill Till after she got her drunk/relaxed. Wilford is almost the same, but i really lean more towards him becoming more social with the good guys as genuine. LJ is absolutely clinically insane and dumb to boot. Oz will hopefully kill her. Dr. Headwood would be right at home at Rapture and i can't help seeing her singing and dancing under the seas while jamming syringes in the eyeballs of poor shmucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Wow. Thank you for this! The song is really haunting and so fitting.

Finally had the time to watch the finale and i have to agree with what was said already. They definitely rushed some bits and some of the motivations for the people who stayed and who left did not make sense from the context that was given. But i don't mind this that much at all. I think they stuck their landing and i am very excited wherto they will go from here. They left A LOT of options. Time and again the show reminds me of Battlestar Galactica with the last survivors of humanity, reliance on "faith" and now it sems we're hitting the New Caprica part of the story.
Let's go!