Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone read the Snowpiercer comic? It's from like 1982 and I always thought it was strange how there are two different French post-apocalyptic snow train franchises, the other one being:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Compagnie_des_glaces

The idea of other trains being run by competing corporations is interesting, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The entire motivation for keeping the first class around makes no sense in the first place. What do they offer? They don't seem to actually do anything useful or critical to the operation of the train. The show has given us no good reason for why Melanie hasn't just iced the loving Folgers, like if you want to keep peace and order that's where you start.

I stíll think it's a pretty good show, but Melanie's absolutely stone cold evil and a terrible leader and they keep trying to portray her as having this incredible responsibility on her shoulders when actually making the train run peacefully seems like it would be pretty easy so long as you aren't incredibly fascist and try to be inclusive and humane to everyone.

Unless there's some other twist like there was in the movie, but we will see.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's impossible for me to like Ruth because I hated that actress's character in The Americans lol

e: and I hate Ruth in Ozark because of Kimmie... The Americans really hosed me up

I mean I don't really think you are supposed to like Ruth.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like how they brought in a loving literal ice troll who's immune to cold damage

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Icy Bob being such a sweetheart was nice :)

Shame about the people he murdered :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was worried they were gonna kill off Steven Ogg since he's a very kill-offable guy but turning him into Train Agent 47 was much better than anything I could've hoped for.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Early Mr. Wilford promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFBV0ugEgU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

This is pretty depressing. Where the gently caress do things go from here?

We still haven't gotten to that Melanie scene from a few eps ago! It seems like things are going to get worse before they get better!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Didn't give a poo poo about the Zarah/Layton subplot. Why is her pregnancy so important? They need to allot baby-permits to people, toss her the gently caress out and just give it to someone else. Does Wilford have a pregnancy fetish or something?

Well if the movie is any indication, there's a certain reason why they need more children on the train.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a good show because you can tell everyone involved really gives a poo poo and is having a ton of fun with a silly concept. It's refreshing to see a show like this that isn't just aping Lost or some other prestige show but is definitely just doing its own thing, even with respects to the film.

I do think Sean Bean and Alison Wright carry a lot of it, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also, given that this is the second time Layton has seized control of the train, and given how everything worked out the last time, he clearly learned something from Wilford about how powerful it is to have a symbol that is larger than life. He’s not gonna win over anyone by earnestly promising equality and then not actually following through like what happened.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think this season is bad, but it definitely feels like they've lost the plot and there's like an energy from previous seasons that's missing?

Both Asha and Pike feel like they died for completely abitrary reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the plot has been extremely messy this season. First there were questions about New Eden actually existing, but now it's simply just too dangerous to go there? Layton going "I'll tell you the truth when the time is right" and then loving bolting was such a dumb thing that just made the character seem insanely incompetent. I hope they, uh, simplify the narrative goals a bit next season.