Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In the films, they said that 1 revolution = 1 year, and they mention in this episode that they've had like 19 revolutions in 7 years.

Things seem to be deteriorating pretty fast in the train, with two major rebellions brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yep. With the collapse of the Bee Colony, and the extinction of beef, I'm pretty sure that Snow Piercer is not going to be sustainable for much longer.

The list will probably be misinterpreted as people that Melanie wants culled to preserve resources, but it'll end up being a list of people who gets to survive to repopulate in a post-thaw world.
A few essential staff will survive, and the rest will have to be purged.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is there such a thing as a 'bottle episode' for Snowpiercer?
(Assuming they don't invent a new set)

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was fantastic.

I was very surprised that it concluded in the first hour but there's no happy ending at the end of a violent revolution. There's a lot of transitional issues that need to be rethought before a new order is established.

They lost 7 "first" cars. It looks like one was a classroom, and the others are just storage?

When Ruth cites 147 people in those cars, I wonder if she included the ones that were going to be executed.

It makes sense to have a 'Supply train'. They don't necessarily want to keep hauling 40 cars of just supplies. Somehow 1041 cars long just isn't as sexy as 1001.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snowpiercer-season-1-finale-explained-graeme-manson-interview-1302881

quote:

You had finished most or all of filming on season two, before production had to shut down in March, correct?

Yeah. We came very close to completing, but I think we left about eight or nine days on the table, which is too bad. So we are strategizing on how to pick that up. But I think we are very fortunate, considering many productions, with where we were when we broke. We’re deeply involved in editing season two now. We have almost a complete season to play with and options of how to pick things up.

It sucks that they were so close to finishing the second season.

Hey TNT, if you're gonna get everyone back together for production, it might make sense to start filming it with Season 3!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The production crew must be so happy that Big Alice allows for a wider set.

Are they starting to bring up the idea that the weather is changing? That was part of the idea of the drawers from Season 1, so it would be wild if we get a timeskip to them rebuilding society outside of the train.

If it's supposed to be too cold for snow, why would the tracks get covered?
The wind's been blowing them around.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 26, 2021

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I forget, did they destroy the gun? Could have been helpful against the ice-tyrant.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope Ruth ran the complete 10 miles.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Miles?

(The actor)
https://twitter.com/JaylinFletcher/status/1356490680646983681?s=20

He was namechecked by saying that Josie doesn't want Miles to see her like this.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The scientist couple asked if they had the full month to prepare Icy Bob, and Wilford told them to do it in two weeks.

But that might be because Wilford likes to stress his subjects.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think it was mentioned that there were 3000+ people in the first season. LJ said around 170 froze to death in the war, with an unknown number who died fighting.

Now, we have 2,746.

That's probably enough people to avoid extinction. They can also the chance that there's a sperm bank somewhere preserving genetic diversity.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

quote:

“ Adapt. That's what humans do, isn't it? Our great leg up. We roll. We hack. Knuckle down and change. Even Snowpiercer is an adaptation. That was classic Wilford. While the world froze and the other mega-rich tried to hole up in bunkers or upload their consciousness, Mr. Wilford dusted off his train set. Snowpiercer is His system. Systems resist change, even without their maker. I'm just a scientist. I'm here to save the world, not change it. I know our chances of surviving are slim at best. All I can do about that is provide small moments of happiness on Snowpiercer, 1,001 cars long. ”
— Jinju

And they speculated that Wilford's radio signal might have come from the military or a private bunker in the first season finale.

Miles is learning about Life Systems. I wonder if he's holing up with Jinju somewhere.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Till says it's been 2 weeks since Lights lost her fingers which happened in Episode 2.
Episode 3 was when Melanie leaves for the outpost when we were given the '2 weeks' mandate on Icy Bob by Wilford.

Zarah's fetus is said to be the size of a blueberry, which is traditionally about 7 weeks into pregnancy. As far as we know, the prenancy started in S1E2 when Zarah and Layton reunited.

The whole series has been less than two months!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's a very weird plan for Wilford to kill the Breachmen, who are his most loyal supporters.

I think it's pretty obvious that the priest is the one behind the murders. I would guess that it's to further destabilize Layton's rule on Snowpiercer. People were pointing out that Layton's rule is tenuous, especially when the train sees him compromising.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think I got Wilford's plan.

The Breachmen are widely known to be Wilford supporters. The blame will automatically be placed on Layton. Wilford will next cause a disaster uptrain which requires the Brechmen and will signal to the train that Layton is not qualified to rule because he had them murdered based on political beliefs. This will turn the second and third class passengers against Layton.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was nice that they remembered and explicitly showed Ruth punishing the tailies.

It absolutely made sense that the girl would be traumatized, and sets up the perfect reason why Ruth would turn against Wilford.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Programming note: There's no episode next week. It's going to be a double episode finale on March 29.

Three things this episode.
1) Layton really should have let Boscovic on the radio after he discovered the truth about Wilford. His testimony could turn a lot of people back to Layton's side, potentially.
2) While Layton could have killed Wilford at any time, I think that Layton is just super averse to any more killing. He knows that if Wilford dies there's never going to be any political stability on the train. I'm not sure that letting Wilford reimpose his 'order' is going to be preferable for the longterm survival of the train.
3) We now know that the reason Snowpiercer never responds to the radio messages is because Wilford is a collosal rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about the climate model or rescuing Melanie. He probably figures that he wouldn't survive long enough for the outside to be habitable anyway.

Speculation:
When Snowpiercer passes by Melanie, we saw that there were sparks on the braking system.

Layton is in the back of the train along with Josie who now has ice resistance. Big Alice also has 2 extra volt sleds. I think Alex was slowing down the train to drop off a rescue team.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Idgi, why did Wilford need Icy Bob for the sabotage? Looks like any trained person in a space suit could have done it. Surely Big Alice must have breachmen or could train some?

Icy Bob was a breachmen. I'm guessing something happened early with Big Alice that made it necessary to develop the cold resistance tech and that somehow that's easier than making more suits.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So at least parts of the last episode was filmed after COVID. Couldn't help but think that Wilford's taunt at Layton's (lack of army) was an explicit reference.

I'm gonna assume in a pre-covid world we would have seen more of the secondary characters and where the ended up. Hard to believe that Wilford would have allowed someone like Pike to remain (with appendages intact) when he was so brutal to the Breachmen murderers.

It would be a shame if that's the end of Melanie Caville. It doesn't feel like an appropriate ending for her. I wonder if there was supposed to be a more explicit answer for her outcome originally, but they couldn't get jennifer connelly to stay in quarantine for a few weeks before filming her final scenes.

We know that the geothermal vent at the very least has enough heat to let mammals survive. There's no reason why she couldn't have kept the harddrive in a box within that cave. Just leave some notes/arrows pointing at the entrance.

They've allowed that certain spots on Earth are warming. Is it possible for them to find a bunker within those spots to meet new survivors?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What's the value of finding the weather-model?

They say that it's to find spots of the earth where it's heating, but the Snowpiercer track goes all around the world and they would have observed the changes sooner or later anyway.

And why would Wilford allow/include weather balloons but also not include uplinks to those balloons right on the train? Seems like it would be a waste of space.

Like these are huge areas of the map that's certainly on the track.
(and I checked. There's basically no warm zone in North America, so Melanie would have to find a different way to survive.)

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
How viable would it be to have a group of people survive in a space station without constant resupply?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I guess when you think about it they're all supposed to be closed systems.

A bunker can run on geo-thermal and solar.

Snowpiercer requires the material in the show to power their unique system.

And a space station needs to use solar.

They just need to solve the heat problem with appropriate insulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope that because of the Strike and productions shutting down, someone will look and recognize that there's an unaired, fully complete season ready to go.