Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Oasx posted:

If Big Alice lacks food, why the heck are they growing weed instead of food?

If the tail was eating goop and starving, why was snowpiercer growing cinnamon? If people in Sudan lack access to antibiotics, why are there factories producing hairloss and dick pills?

The answer is that the people in power have all they need and they don't give a poo poo about anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Willford looks like an idiot. I hope he is just a tool the reactionary elements on snowpiercer use to regain power and never amounts to much this season. Like all those bum kings that fascists used to fish out of the history garbage bin to get some old people support

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Really wish they had taken a bit more time to flesh out the Melanie/Alex relationship. I understand that Alex is probably desperate for human warmth and love but the speed at which she went from "I don't really care about you, Melanie" to "I love you, mom" is so fast that it keeps me wondering whether she's actually playing Melanie.

If she was doing a long con she wouldn't have had to pretend when she was alone with Willford though.

Also, Willford seem like a total moron. None of his plans have worked out so far and he is constantly outplayed by Layton. And now Alex is almost ready to abandon him. I really like that he isn't some hyper competent villain, it's a fresh take.

The only real complaint so far this season is the total lack of Oily Bob on screen. The show is literally unwatchable without him and I'm done with it if we don't get to see him by the end of the season.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, Sean Bean is great in this. Melanie's actor too. The acting and writing in general is very solid.

Makes me really worried about it getting cancelled though. It seems like it's very expensive to make while not being very popular and Netflix loves to axe shows after season 3.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Idgi, why did Wilford need Icy Bob for the sabotage? Looks like any trained person in a space suit could have done it. Surely Big Alice must have breachmen or could train some?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Last Call posted:

Because break men can't be out too long, even with suits. Travelling the full length of Snowpiercer and the trains to Big Alice is quite the journey, a journey moving at full speed, with freezing snow and ice. We saw what condition Icy Bob was in when he made it back and it looked like he barely made it happen. It's why they were increasing his tolerance to the outside. No ordinary person could do it, they probably wouldn't make it a third of the way. Remember you got to kinda climb atop the train like the sole breakman did during this episode.

I dunno, Mel didn't seem to have a problem wearing the suit for long periods of time and walking/working in it. At least they could have given Bob a little bit more clothing. Give the poor man a beanie ffs, it doesn't cost the world

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sean Bean is just awesome in this :allears:

Wilford doesn't give a single poo poo about anyone or anything but himself so in his mind the universe will basically cease to exit after his death and he wants to make the last years of the universe as nice as possible and that means playing king on his luxury train, not being some random guy in a impoverished colony fighting for naked survival and eating plain potatoes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

He's definitely great, I just wish they had at least some scenes of him being pleasant or charming or magnetic to explain his hold over people. He's a dick to his servants, a dick to his lovers, a dick to his pseudo-daughter, dick to anyone who seems to be predisposed to follow him...most people don't meet him for longer then a second, sure but the slightest problem seems to set him off.

As far as I gathered he built his empire and rose from regular origins (old Russian neighbor taking him to church), I'd have liked to see actual deep planning or strength of will that took him there, instead he falls apart literally the first episode he is in, and his plans require some serious idiocy from his opponents in order to succeed.

I find him a villain to hate which is always good, and Bean kills it no matter who or what he plays, but considering he is the Big Bad, I'd have liked there to be more then just hating him because he is a petty, childish rear end in a top hat. How did this man hold a poor man's Snowpiercer together for seven years and convinced half the population to kill themselves? I just don't see it, he seems entirely consumed by his own desires to the point of him lasting on top of actual Snowpiercer for a weekend before everything goes to poo poo. And he thinks he can trust Josie, Alex or Javi? What?

I think Wilford's hold over people is that he and the engineers are the only ones who can run the train and keep everyone alive. They are indisposable and their cooperation essential. That's how he managed to stay in power on Big Alice. Any kind of upheaval against him and Alex would have been suicide.

His return to power on Snowpiercer looked more like a political decision. He represented the reactionary interests, a return to the pre-revolution status quo and an end to the chaos of the provisional government. It was more a choice about policy than personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rectal Death Deft posted:

I think the real benefit in finding the weather model would be in the ongoing problems of hope and governing. It's a train filled with constant war in a destroyed world so the thought that they could leave and go back to their old lives someday is an extremely powerful motivator. Someone that can remember wide open spaces will probably work extra hard to ensure they get back to that.

Also I think that in the technobabble they are only measuring temperatures really high in the atmosphere that wouldn't be noticed from the ground for a while. It wouldn't have been noticed at all if a specific scientist hadn't been outside of a stopped train to see a freak snowfall. So even though they would eventually know by finding out this early it means they might not destroy humanity in hopeless wars over dismal years of deteriorating conditions with no destination not knowing about the warming and instead they might get their poo poo together and work toward reaching outside.

The weather model data makes it a reality they just need to wait for. They can pick a location. Make concrete plans with timelines. Yearly goals.

This is just speculation on my part, it could just be the gaps in the writing that I'm over filling.

Also, my impression is that the train is slowly failing, just like in the movie. They are running out of spare parts, the ecology is collapsing and population growth is negative. Things got better with the BigAlice supplies, but in the mid term they are still heading for extinction if they stay on the train. It took them only 6 years to use up their reserves on Snowpiercer so once the warming finally reaches the train tracks in another 6 yeaes they might already be dead.