Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
We gonna update that thread title given the inevitable destruction of a bunch of train cars before season's end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lurker2006 posted:

Any differences from the film that particularly strike you, assuming you've seen it?

The TV version is a lot less cult-y. There's an almost hypnotic quality to the way the front end passengers worship Wilfred, like the little song sequence with the schoolkids. There's no obvious indoctrination going on -- though if this is the destined path for this show, then I've miscalculated how dark they plan on making it, There's also not as pronounced a sense of magical realism: Mrs. Wilfred talks so often about methane cycles that you can never believe that her engine runs on child sacrifices.

There's a stronger art deco / pre-war Germany vibe to this version, with a free-love hippie commune car, and a Kit Kat Club to boot.

The other thing that strikes me about this adaptation is that, knowing how Alison Wright's character ends up in the film, I'm interested in if/how the show's version of the character is going to go. It adds an extra layer of tension to a lot of their scenes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
mhmm yummy eyeball mhmm yumm

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tonight's episode had me on the edge of my seat with suspense, like back when I watched Game of Thrones and it was still GOOD. Snowpiercer has been the closest thing to capturing that GoT feeling for me -- the social strata struggles, the scheming, the shaky alliances, the heel turns and face turns, the harsh living conditions, the constant threat of brutal violence that sometimes explodes.

I can't wait for next week's two-hour finale, but it's already a huge relief knowing that Season 2 is already filmed and probably in postproduction now.

Shut down part way into production because of Covid-19

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj8rEeOCCXQ

lol, the comments are a trash fire

Thank god this forum isn't going anywhere for a bit. I wasn't looking forward to sifting out all the "tallies should be grateful they were allowed to live" hot takes (among, other, hotter, sweatier takes) if we all had to migrate.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

To be completely honest I was ready and waiting for it because IMDB already spoiled that he's in 11 episodes but it turned out the 11th was just his uncredited voice work in the 3rd episode when Melanie is editing his speech.

I've been literally saying he was gonna appear since that episode. Nice to be vindicated, finally.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr. Nemo posted:

"I don't understand even the people in the tales.
Of course it's pathetic, but if they've lived in a free ride, they should be grateful for everything."

Lol, you weren't kidding! It's not like peolpe in first had a drat bowling alley, there simple wasn't enough for everyone to have a decent standard of living.

Yeah, the one that made me goggle was the idea that the Tailie's "chose" to illegally board Snowpiercer. Apparently the decision between eking out a living enslaved to a bunch of rich poo poo heads and, I dunno, just dying because those same poo poo heads destroyed the rest of the world is a choice -- and that's the kind of "choice" that a baby should suffer for. (The existence of that little girl in the tail really tells you everything you need to know about the morality involved here).

To be honest, I'm genuinely shocked to see no mention of reprisal killings among First class.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Never finished the first season, but last I heard they didn't finish filming this season either. Nice to know that the show and I are in the same boat.

I really liked the pilot, and wanted to like a lot of the following episodes, but it lost me almost immediately. Persisted for a bit, but ho hum, you know how it is.

Hoping this second season will be better!

Edit: oh, get in, they finished filming Season 2 back in December.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New episode! New theme arrangement!

Strange to change the focus of the show to a cold war / border crossing metaphor,

I've seen a lot of plots where a character has to fight for the soul of her lost child, but I think this is the only one that opens with that child attempting genocide.

Guess they've still got some sort of plan for Annalise Basso's character.

They've very, very quickly reconfiguring Ruth as a more heroic figure. Probably because Alison Wright is loving awesome, and probably the show's most interesting performance.

They dropped Susan Park's character from the credits, and added Steven Ogg. Wonder if the loss of half of their queer couple will have them reconfigure their romantic pairings a bit; hook up that queer brakeman with the kidnapped conductor, or something.

Always happy to see Karen Konoval getting work.

DaveKap posted:

Yeah it doesn't really hit its stride until halfway through. But once it hits that stride, boy what a stride it is.

Okay I binged the rest of Season One you were absolutely right. I really enjoyed that. Some reservations, and I wish the show wouldn't trend towards melodramatic plots, but it's pretty good overall. Love the set design too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

As for my thoughts on this first episode? Fuckin' strong episode! Cinematography, acting, writing, music, CG, storyboarding... it's all up there.

Huh, I've always thought the show's CG is a bit weak. The air leaking from Melanie's suit, some of the sequence where she's escaping from the train's wheels... the exterior shots look much improved over last year's though.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give half a poo poo of concern for a show's budget or the photorealistic verité of its CGI -- the film's CG is objectively poor, and that means nothing to me. But I'd still not argue that the CG is particularly strong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thoughts, in the order I thought them.

- I wish the show hadn't dropped its only Korean actor (even if the character was rubbish). It just reminds me of the way that Bong Joon-ho's film (which this is super indebted to) was far more willing to use multiple languages and subtitles and this show really hasn't. It's kept the accent diversity, but it's lost the language diversity, which is a shame.

- Strikes me that Strong Boy's emergency from the pods, speaking Mandarin, is meant to be something of a shout out Song Kang-ho's character from the film.

- Not super convinced by Layton's very rapid power corrupts story. Or his taste in names.

- Oh hey, the subtrain set has moving parts. Not just the carriages, but the pistons and things also move. That's pretty cool.

- Speaking of sets, I'm like 80% certain the multi-faith car is a redressed version of the school car. (Speaking of, where are the kids going to school now?)

- LJ's the finger thief, yeah? I'm enjoying her and Sam Otto's character, they're a decent pairing. Can't remember why he's been demoted, but he was a bit of a poo poo so I don't really care.

- Has the chrono supply dried up? And, related, has Layton released all the passengers in cold storage, or just his mates?

- I've no idea how to read the bathtub scene. A suggestion of the film's prominent use of situational sexuality, or just weirdness

- Hulk Josie, calling it.

- I don't know how seriously the show is going to try it, but Alex is completely irredeemable at this point. There's bratty traumatised teenager, and then there's trying to outdo the kid from The Strain, and she's the latter.

- Everyone's super chill about Melanie being back. She and Ben seem to have made up with Javier too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The idea of Melanie instituting a pre-emptive coup is infeasible; you can't just carve chunks out of your most powerful (and reactionary) class without expecting some massive power vacuum to form -- particularly if you take out the military too. She'd have been left open to power grabs, panic, revolution... it's impossible to imagine a world where Hospitality would have stayed silent, for instance.

The social systems on the train are just as severely interrelated as the train's ecological and logistical systems. You knock one system out of balance (first class) and the knock on effect will be felt in every other level, including maintenance and production.

If she'd been able to secure Nolan's support, I think this could have been feasible, but he was clearly loyal to the Folgers. Deposing the Folgers was ultimately only possible because a) they'd just instituted their own coup, and hadn't formalised and cemented their own power base, and b) Layton was there to provide replacement support structures.

DarkCrawler posted:

Plus the Jackboots would have been conditioned to not allow any changes to the social structure.

The train guards were never going to make peace with the tail; beyond the idea that you're telling a bunch of heavily armed thugs with cabin fever that they can't play with their favourite punching bags anymore, it's also very clearly personal for their leader, if not for everyone else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sekenr posted:

IMO that part where the service tran dropped anchor and will not let either of them go was super weak. Whats to stop the Snowpiercer from detaching the last cart and loving off?

They have no battery power to restart the train.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In addition to Sean Bean, there's some other nice casting this season -- big fan of both Damian Young and Sakina Jaffrey as the Tweedle Dee Doctors. Jaffrey has always been very good, but I've never seen her have the opportunity to turn up the camp in this kind of way.

There are a bunch of great Candian character actors in this -- Karin Konoval's a living legend -- but it's great to see some New York actors in this too.

Edit: Also it's totally the priest, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Three Random Thoughts:
- This Breaksman characterisation is kinda sudden, right? They're basically a rival gang of Wilfred fanatics. I don't remember them being like that last season. They spent all last season's finale "mourning"? gently caress off. That's ugly retroactive continuity.
- I broke up with my girlfriend offscreen, remember? That's why we're never going to see her or her aquarium ever again!
- MY WIFE, NOT APPEARING IN THIS ANECDOTE. I'm half convinced his wife is dead.
- Look, it might be corny, but those scenes where the train was banking and everyone had to throw themselves to one side of the train? :chefkiss: gorgeous. Love that poo poo, inject it directly into my veins.
- Also I like visceral reminders that living on the train is loving rickety and scary even on a good day. "Please evacuate to the other half of the train! We're turning off the power now."
- Sean Bean is better in this role than I've seen him in years. Acting everyone off the show -- though he's not shared a proper scene with Ruth yet. I hope they don't kill him this season.
- They're absolutely killing him this seasons.
- Also? Alex dies this season. Absolutely. Calling it. She turns on Wilfred, and he kills her, and this cements Ruth's turn towards Melanie and helps to rebuild their friendship.
- Or she goes off the deep end and it's a big acting showcase for Alison Wright, but I find that seriously doubtful.
- Love the little fantasy touches, like Wilfred's throne. There's something about the nightclub hostess doing random terrible poetry during the lockdown that made me think of people hiding out in British nightclubs during the Blitz, that I really loved. That little surreal touch, where you don't know if you're in the past or the future.
- Most important question, to me: Who's Melanie going to talk to for the next four episodes? And will Ben and Havier gently caress? They're clearly loving right? I choose to believe the two of them and MILFord are a uniquely stable polyamorous trio, where two thirds of the couple tries to pretend the other third doesn't exist, because it's kind of awkward.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thoughts:
- They're good at coming up with cold opens on this show. Lena Hall doing ballet on a train is a nicely surreal image, leaning into fairy tale / children's toys surreal vibe this show likes to play around with.
- Oh, we're not getting Jennifer Connelly back for a bit, are we? That'll be how they solve the problem of telling her story for a bit, plus it allows them to pay for the expanded cast this season.
- has anyone been watching with subtitles? Is it "Oiler Bob" or "Euler Bob"?
- The way Ruth represents Hospitality at the train council meetings always makes me think she's really into Star Trek. The Hospitality uniforms feel like something out of of a train based version of that show.
- Zara joining Hospitality is one of those "oh we really ran out of plot for this character moves", one of several this season. This show has more good actors than it knows what to do with.
- The Schoolteacher survived the revolution. She was a regular feature in the first class quarters, but now we're not seeing so much of the kids or the rich characters, we haven't seen her since.
- Speaking of, this show has a lot of casual queerness. Though I think I misinterpreted the relationship between Alex and Miss Perth: Ice Age.
- this Australian joke was inevitable, but I love it.
- Miss Audrey and the Nightcar make a lot more sense now, in the context of the entire arrangement is basically just Wilson's fetish arrangement, and they retrofitted it for therapeutic purposes under Melanie.
- also apparently the train was in active use before launch. Or the entire nightcar is a carbon copy of Wilfred's favourite club. Could go either way.
- om nom nom. Do you think Miss Audrey plays "here comes the choo choo train" during their sexy times?
- though I guess the question is, how literally does that metaphor get?
- repeating the dancing in the finale, with this song choice, is super super cheesy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In season 3 news: Archie Panjabi's joining the show as a regular for Season 3, and the character's meant to be a top secret role, which I think suggests we're moving beyond the confines of the two trains. I wouldn't normally spoiler news like that, but it's pretty easy to read some future events from the show off the implication of the casting.

I also assume that we're going to get a train decoupling at some point. Having two separate trains would be a pretty good set-up for the show.

OldMemes posted:

In the film sustainability wasn't a big a concern for Wilford, and certain resources were already going 'extinct'. Ed Harris Wilford had starting using child labour instead of spare parts, because the engine had broken down so much due to lack of maintenance. And because of that, the train fails, and humanity most likely goes extinct.

That's not how I read the end of the film. Doesn't the symbolic appearance by the polar bear right at the end of the film suggest that there's still hope?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

No: It suggests that the kids get eaten and humanity goes extinct.
I'm only half joking, though. Yes, that is what it suggests.

I mean, yeah, that's a valid reading. But, either way, life goes on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

This feels unlikely just due to how much they've stressed that Snowpiercer can't keep going without Big Alice's engine boosting it.

I agree it would be fun plotwise. I just don't see them going that way.

I thought the problem was that Snowpiercer's battery had run out of power, and needed time to recharge. And now the two trains can't disconnect because of the fused border cars (and because too many people in key positions are invested in keeping them connected, since Snowpiercer could easily sacrifice a train car and keep going).

Though yeah, I think it's more likely that next season will expand by introducing outside parties, or some sort of colony.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thorts, episode the fifth:

- I feel like Layton trying to get Miss A to bend Mr W's ear about anything is utterly doomed. W gets off on suicide and conspicuous consumption, he's not going to care.
- Josie hiding messages in the hollowed out stump of her arm is this week's most metal image.
- On top of having an newly remixed version of opening credits theme this year, they've been layering new tracks over the music depending on who does the opening monologue. e.g. Wilford gets a hammer and anvil track, Miss Audrey had a music box track. Josie gets just the base version though.
- Death by bookclub. Did everyone notice the way the conversation suddenly picked up the moment Wilfred
- And of course they're reading Rebecca. Suggestive as to what's going to trouble Wilford's rule of Snowpiercer.
- "Her PINGS do wonderful things for morale." I like that they're putting Ruth right into Melanie's season 1 position, except now she's pretending Melanie's alive and coming back for them. Of course, that kind of "adversity forces us to compromise and that compromise proves that our middle class hang ups were naïve" thing works with Ruth so much better than it does with Layton.
- I just can't believe that Layton would immediately work to maintain the previous order, despite Wilford's reappearance. Why is first class still a thing???
- I'm trying to work out if it's impossible or just unlikely that two characters on the train could be boxers and not known about it. There's only one place they could practice.
- next week looks like we're getting a dream episode. I've only seen that work once or twice, so I'm bracing myself.
- genuinely surprised that Melanie's Daughter and the last Western Australian aren't (yet) a couple.
- and it's the priest. Called it the moment he appeared.

Mokinokaro posted:

No they were definitely going for a more somber lighting. It's especially noticeable in Wilford's quarters.

There's been a big changeover behind the scenes -- new design team, new lighting team, new composer too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

The character is 17, the actress is 20, she's Big Alice's main engineer and the only person who has the guts to talk back to Wilford, albeit sparingly. I don't think it's weird to speculate a relationship exists when the show has made it clear she is jealous towards Emilia's new friendship, especially after she pulled Wilford's ear to get her over to Snowpiercer for a night out.

Does it mean they are definitely going that route? Of course not. They could easily just be friends. That doesn't mean it can't be something more, though. Whatever the state of their friendship is, it's going to be a plot point.

I think you can also read Alex as queer and the Last (Western) Australian as not (currently?) interested.

The scene between Alex and LJ definitely reads as queer -- "Let's not be friends"?

Edit: And the show's nodded towards the train encouraging situational sexuality. Doesn't Zara have, like, a wife and a husband that got forgotten about?

xerxus posted:

I think I got Wilford's plan.

The Breachmen are widely known to be Wilford supporters. The blame will automatically be placed on Layton. Wilford will next cause a disaster uptrain which requires the Brechmen and will signal to the train that Layton is not qualified to rule because he had them murdered based on political beliefs. This will turn the second and third class passengers against Layton.

Oh, this is definitely happening.

I imagine Big Alice is smuggling messages through the drugs pipeline, probably in the same shipments that Josie is using to send messages.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 25, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hizawk posted:

Only problem I have with the entire show is when they do scenes in the cockpit of big alice and snowpiercer, the background is moving forwards.

Wilford's quarters have windows that look out both up and down train. The main controls for the train are under the window looking up train, so from that end the countryside would appear to be approaching.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bou posted:

Also, is this Till's Ex-Girlfriend murdering that Breachman?

That's a stuntperson.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't buy what they're doing with him this season, even if the narrative has gone out of its way to justify it. He was a leader for years - he's lead at least two uprisings and was in stable command of the Tail for at least five years. I don't buy that he'd immediately fall into something as stupid or obvious as installing himself in the best cabin on the train, or letting First Class maintain their conspicuous wealth.

If they'd at least shown him trying to push through some changes, I'd buy it, but instead we have him suggesting his kid should be be named Trotsky, which, lol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up, thoughts on six:
- Pretty good. I don't buy it as an episode. It's not intense enough, Melanie's pretty much fine. It's not scary. Some bad things happen, but honestly she seemed to pull through pretty easily. Her hallucinations were pretty standard, and didn't really seem to get her into much trouble. She's never in much fear of losing her mind; the hallucinations were mostly pretty therapeutic and useful. Melanie remains pretty stoic throughout. Or I've just forgotten a lot and I'm talking out of my arse. Who knows. But it's an hour of watching Jennifer Connolly do a lot of acting, and she's great and makes the most of her opportunity to go big at the end.
- Ben continues to be a nothing character and a waste of Iddo Goldberg (and yet another example of Graham Mason being unable to write anything interesting for his seriously minded dudes to do.)
- There's no way we're getting to that train drama until at least two more episodes from now. Betting Alex (or someone) turns Big Alice back around to grab Melanie, risking Snowpiercer.
- rats are cute.

Thoughts on Seven:
- no idea how a playlist containing Skeeter Davis's "Don't They Know It's The End of The World" survived the post-apocalypse. I'd have chucked it personally. But hey, that's a comically evil choice to play under the circumstances.
- ooft. "Aussie" is not pronounced like that. "Ozzie" not "Ossie", and lean into the nasal passages.
- as if there's a little old lady chainsmoking while tethered to an oxygen supply. There's literally no way the train could support someone like that, or that the doctors we've met on Snowpiercer would allow it.
- I originally thought we'd get back to the situation with Melanie in episode 8, but given that this episode seems to mark the exact midpoint in Snowpiercer's journey away from, and then back to, Melanie, we're not getting back to it until episode 9.
- The Pike comedy stuff is so weird. He's doing a comic decent into addiction and ongoing trauma that the series both takes seriously and encourages us to find silly. It's good, I'm enjoying it, I'm only pointing out that it's a bit unusual.
- Oh hey, Kevin survived.
- Lena Hall is really impressing me this season. There's this weirdly catatonic glaze across her eyes this episode, like dissociating. You could see her maybe floating into a Lady Macbeth kind of role, a season down the line. I also like the idea of Miss Audrey (OH HEPBURN, OF COURSE) reimagined as Mr Wilford's Sex Minister For Propaganda. It fits well with the set design: Orwellian industrial, but with a bit of a Weimar fetishism seeping in at the edges.
- There's no way First Class Pastor Nina would be an acolyte of Wilford's. She played a key role in supporting Melanie's coup. That's such a blatant bullshit reveal. Amanda Brugel's one of those great, classy Canadian bit players though -- she's great here, she's great in The Handmaid's Tale, and she was so good on Orphan Black. Maybe Mason was just really keen to work with her again, so he gave her something to do. But I don't really buy her as a murder ninja, to be honest.
- Of course it was the priest. Called it the minute he turned up. Also this confrontation between him and Till is rubbish.
- I found the Ruth plot this episode compelling, but really overwraught. Playing the cute kid card, and then the traumatic flashbacks to past misdeeds? That's laying it on a bit thick for me, show.
- Icy Bob's gonna jump a whole level down on the train roundabout isn't he? That'd be loving awesome.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I used to think he'd be done, but it could go either way -- if he sticks around next season, it'll be to do some sort of election plot, I reckon. Maybe a plot where they depose the evil tyrant, but I feel like they've done that.

DaveKap posted:

- I doubt the little girl raised by Wilford would be taught the proper way to say "Aussie." When the apocalypse hits, proper pronunciation of things seems like something I'd de-prioritize.

gently caress oath bro, she and the Australian girl are meant to be best friends. Something would have been said.

And Wilford is absolutely the type of person who'd be pedantic about pronunciation. He runs an authoritarian book club.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Her psychopathic nature was nurtured by her awful parents. Sever the parents and a young character can change. Put the character in the worst position possible on the train (do recall that janitorial duties were often filled by the Tailies) and people can view that as a fitting punishment as the only alternatives are cryogenic sleep or... well... nothing. There is no capital punishment on Snowpiercer and the brig is only a detention center, not a prison. There really isn't a worse punishment for her to go through. Not to mention that despite her awful nature, some people felt pity that a young girl had her parents killed. Plus people had their fun when they took over her room.

She cut off dicks for fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They had all the guns thrown from the train, they mentioned it a few episodes ago during the flashback.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode nine is like a weird alternate universe episode where the train in the show starts to become the train in the film. And the drama is about how they've got to stop that happening, like Chris Evans and that orange lady are evil alternate future selves.

I just can't believe that the show will ever commit to his status quo.

Wilford is channelling mad evil Willy Wonka energy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wtf is this romantic relationship between dickslasher and Once-I-Was-A-Rapist-Now-Im-A-Popstar?

RapistPopstar got a whole music video sheesh

Episode Ten:
Ruth is not the character I'd have picked to play the tough girl action hero role. I think Alison Wright's overplaying it a little.

This finale is genuinely great.

I want someone to kill that dog. That's a bad dog.

OMG. Bye Aquarium. They did a narrative salute to a struck set.

There's gonna be weird sex stuff happening on the pirate train, right?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 30, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think they're going there, tbh.

Also, how badass was Sykes? I was wondering why she was Wilford's shadow, her absolutely destroying Ben was a great scene. Hope they don't kill her off too *sigh*

Good news, they just upped her to series regular.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Question about this

Is it 1024 or 1023 cars long? Is the pirate train 9 or 10? Why was aquarium car right at the front?? With it destroyed there are only 1033 cars left right??

I can't imagine the food generating cars were next to the engine so I hope the superfriends have food to eat.

It's also an essential part of the train's ecosystem, isn't it? Won't the removal of the aquarium car have some serious knock-on effects?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Season 4 is coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYdwUrGZn2A (no spoilers unless someone getting a haircut counts)

Weird choice to reveal who sticks around to the season finale this way. Seems like they have a lot of fun on this show though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

They don't film things in chronological order so it doesn't really mean much who's there.

They don't? I thought they only did a bit of that last season to accommodate Jennifer Connolly's schedule, and even then it was just the one episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think this show is very good, but it's basically a spaceship show so I'm keeping with it. Also this episode was really good in a way I wasn't anticipating.

loving Ruth's internal monologue is like some fantasticly horrible English lit pastiche. "As rough as wetleather". Still astonished to have actors of Alison Wright's calibre in these roles. The show's greatest strength IMO -- Miss Audrey's villain turn is bad in a lot of ways, but it's worth it to watch Lena Hall vamp.

On the other hand, it also meant that we had the continuing adventures of LJ throughout season 2 just to give something for Analise Basso to do. Hoping this year she'll be better -- the first season portrayal of the character had a lot of Carmelita Spatts energy, and it'll be good if the show can lean back into that a bit more.

Sean Bean continues to be amazing. Glad the show resisted the urge to kill him last year, I really like how big the character is, and how Sean Bean pitches his performance so ferral. He's equal parts Northern Industrialist and Barbarian Conquerer, while the character as depicted draws from everything from fantasy images of excessive consumption (Willy Wonka) to Weimar horror (he's Frankenstein, his girlfriend dresses like a vampire).

Also goddamn you, you janky show, for killing Damien Young off-screen. The casting for both the Headwood was way overqualified given the size of their roles, but I was hoping the show would have the opportunity to broaden their roles.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No official word, but she's definitely coming back. They've been too coy about her return for it to be anything otherwise.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Admiral Cain arc is over.

The New Caprica arc shall now begin.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're 100% setting us up for some sort of flashback episode with her, right?

I'd actually put decent money on it being the one that pays off the Melanie plotline too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just throwing it out there, but Layton's plan is straight up insanity, and it's astonishing that so many people in his inner circle have just unproblematically sided with the guy. At the very least it's going to cause a massive leadership spill when they turn up and Asha's stories aren't consistent with what they see there -- or, worse, and the place is already somehow populated.

Ruth and Pike are an absolute nonsense pairing -- she spent how many years cutting off his friend's arms? -- but their chemistry sells it.

Killing off so many characters to an off-screen flu seems really weird when they could just have had Wilfred purge them all. (Unless it's some sort of meta-joke about covid limiting actor availability?)

As for the episode... I always think the whole ghosts/hallucinations thing needs to be carefully handled, and I didn't think this was it. Also seems weird that they wouldn't have made more of an effort to recover some of those train cars, but I guess they've got other priorities right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the whole baby drama, particularly at the start, was pretty cute and fun. Lena Hall continues to be a fun vamp, though I'll be sad if they're done with that part of her now. And this episode is the most I've liked Josie since she was a freedom fighter back in season one.

Dunno if I admire the doggedness of each season returning to a train detective plot of if it's purely frustrating.

In terms of suspects, who are we thinking? I know the episode was trying to make us think it was Pike, but I reckon he just took advantage of the situation. My guess is that it was Asha, in a fit of nihilistic symbolism. (Both the bombings targeted tree related objects.)

tokin opposition posted:

Glad the hot engineer got laid, rest of episode boring

Pfft. Third hottest.

Official ranking goes:

1. Melanie
2. Javi (despite attempts to rough the guy up)
3. Ben