Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
I watched up to episode 4 or so on netflix last night

real talk guys, does this show get better at all? It's so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Maybe not for you, but I thought the first 4 episodes kicked rear end.

The first episode is incredible, one of the strongest first episodes of anything I've ever seen, it does an exceptional job of worldbuilding in 1hr what the movie did in 2 but without revealing any of the things that'd be spoilers for those who havent seen the movie.

But like, by episode 3 I was just checked out.

I want it to be for me, because all indications say this is gonna be a mr robot / the wire / prestige-drama-style overarching story which is my kind of poo poo. The production value appears to be really high aswell, but the pacing is... terrible. Im having to force myself to pay attention past episode 1, which is saying something negative about a show I -want- to watch

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

I think you should give episode 5 a go. The show only gets better once it's done pretending to be a police procedural.

Alright, I took your advice and episode 5 was a vast improvement on how it felt like it was about to turn into another Person Of Interest type "if only they were making a show for the ultra nerds rather than the common denominator" thing

Mr. Nemo posted:

If your expectation is Mr. Robot or the Wire I'd suggest you check out of the show now.

I think the murder plot should be done by episode 4 or 5, and it only gets better after that.

I misworded that, I don't expect it to be as good as (the two greatest TV shows ever made that aren't twin peaks), but it's aiming to be that type of "prestige show" as far as I can tell, so needs to up the.... uh, interestingness. The nightcar was an interesting touch but felt like scratching the surface of what could've been a cooler subtheme.

The "loose" camerawork is really putting me off. Every now and then it looks like it was shot by the C-or-D-unit instead of the A guys

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Whichever goon told me to skip 4 and go to 5, and watch from there if I wasnt enjoying the sort of janky "wannabe-prestige" atmosphere of the show, you were 100% correct, the final 4 episodes are incredible.

oh but seriously I posted:

so what was with the guy spontaneously learning mandarin?

side effects of not-yet-perfected cryostasis?

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

GreenNight posted:

NCAA. Double episode finale next week.

Why the literal gently caress do I not get to watch snowpeircer yesterday/today because there's some goddamn basketball on a different continent? what was netflix thinking?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Well it's a TNT show. Netflix just airs it outside of the US. TNT has basketball.

no poo poo? well, you learn something new every day apparently, cheers