Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Savior
Feb 10, 2004
shit... i don't know...
Fair enough on Tommy, I assumed he was dead when I was playing through the game. We know she didn't go upstairs and deliver one of her patented head stomps though.

I do know she went from "She's pregnant? Good." to putting Dina aside in a few seconds and all it took was her name and Lev looking worried. Whether she decided not to out of goodness or begrudgingly due to Lev, the point is she didn't kill anyone else at that point despite these people all trying to kill her within the last few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Instead of empty grousing about it I'm going to actually articulate why I think this conversation is wrongheaded: Yes, you are supposed to be conflicted at that moment. But that doesn't mean Abby is worse or even equivalent to Ellie in that moment, because that would go against the parallel the game has been setting up the entire time. Ellie has spent her entire story sinking lower and lower, sinking to new depths, literally becoming an uglier human being as evidenced by the intense bruising she goes through. Abby, on the other hand, starts out pretty loving bad but rises out of it and re-learns empathy, helping someone she previously would have tried to kill and throwing away the awful society she was a part of. When Abby finds the scene of Mel's body, it shocks both characters out of their paths, but Abby still has Lev, an outsider to this cycle, to stop her before she throws away all she's learned on her own journey.

So, my issue is that if you take the thematic structure of the game into consideration, the in-universe answer for "Is Abby worse than Ellie in the theater scene?" is actually pretty blatantly "No." It's clear what the diegetic answer is from how the game has conveyed its themes. Trying to make Abby more "grey" here serves what purpose? Throwing away a really interesting character arc and dual story structure?

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 5, 2020

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I think it’s telling that I start reading a lot of these posts thinking I’m disagreeing with them, then realizing by the end we are mostly saying the same thing with some variation in detail.

Edit - The point being that pretty much everyone here has been properly “conflicted” at each of the fights, with each person leaning a little more towards one character or another depending on what details landed the most for them. The conflict in our discussion, and the desire to be objective about the game’s morality, is weirdly recursive because it proves Naughty Dog’s point that there is no moral objectivity.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 5, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

in other words naughty dog is a land of contrasts

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Hah! Exactly.

I’m most of the way through replaying TLOU remastered and then intend to do a New Game plus of TLOU2. Looking forward to sharing my morality-tracking Excel file with everyone when I’m done.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've got a gun, a ribbon that says Good and a ribbon that says Evil on it. No one is leaving the room till we've got this figured out!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I can’t say that I love Abby the way I love Eliie, but I certainly grew to really care about her over the course of the game, and I was very conflicted during Santa Barbara all the way through. I think you can love and hate both women at different points in the game for the blatantly sadistic and hosed up things they do, and I think you can feel really sorry for them both as well.

But Ellie is probably my favorite character in video games, replacing Dante, and bumping Raziel from Soul Reaver down to 3rd place.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't love Ellie one bit in 2.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I didn't love Ellie one bit in 2.

if you didn't like the museum then I think you were just actively trying to dislike her

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah, QoP, what's goin on dude

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

if you didn't like the museum then I think you were just actively trying to dislike her

Oh yeah fair.
Anything present day.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
take on me is an extremely hard song to do well, and ellie did it extremely well

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh yeah fair.
Anything present day.

QoP watching Ellie herd sheep, dance with her wife, and snuggle her infant son as the sun sets over the purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain: “YOU STUPID IDIOT BITCH, FUQ UUUUUUUU!”

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

QoP watching Ellie herd sheep, dance with her wife, and snuggle her infant son as the sun sets over the purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain: “YOU STUPID IDIOT BITCH, FUQ UUUUUUUU!”

It was Decided earlier itt that wheat fields and tradwife are fascism, sorry.

I really liked both Abby and Ellie ITG so it worked on me, I guess I’m simple and easy to please. Pretty much all the notes the story was trying to hit landed for me.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wait, is this real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wF4lcfQkvk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

doubt it.

if it is it looks like total poo poo.

- reused voice clips? check
- loving in-game map? :lmao: check
- hosed up looking movement and animation? check

edit;

VVVVV yeah, lakeside, obviously also. check

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 6, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's a much worse looking version of a TLOU1 map (lakeside) and looks like poo poo in general, so unless they are just reusing content and its a super early build I'm gonna say it's probably some fan made thing.

Edit: for comparison the "leak" takes place right to the left of the first supply box they hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhS17q3Xcg

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 6, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is such a great article. I’m not sure I agree with all the connections, but if anything it’s a great examination on how trauma impacts people.

https://twitter.com/sofistake/status/1290327926471307271?s=21

Lazy Savior
Feb 10, 2004
shit... i don't know...
It really is a great article. Whatever minor gripes I have with certain characterization choices in the game, it is incredibly intricately written and directed. It's really rewarding to think about and was absolutely great to replay, and it stands up well to deep reads and detailed analysis. The first game is more streamlined in telling it's story, but I think TLOU2 will be remembered as the superior storytelling achievement once the shadow of CHUD outrage subsides and people have a chance to appreciate all the details.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazy Savior posted:

It really is a great article. Whatever minor gripes I have with certain characterization choices in the game, it is incredibly intricately written and directed. It's really rewarding to think about and was absolutely great to replay, and it stands up well to deep reads and detailed analysis. The first game is more streamlined in telling it's story, but I think TLOU2 will be remembered as the superior storytelling achievement once the shadow of CHUD outrage subsides and people have a chance to appreciate all the details.

Yeah, that's a nice optimistic way to look at it. But we all know that it'll never happen, people will only know it as 'That game where you cruelly slaughter 800 dogs a minute' and never try it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well that alleged Factions video has already disappeared into the ether. I guess it's not entirely impossible it was from some very early prototype. The plot thickens.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Well that alleged Factions video has already disappeared into the ether. I guess it's not entirely impossible it was from some very early prototype. The plot thickens.

Considering the fact that it says that it was taken down by copyright claim, probably not a prototype tbh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

This is such a great article. I’m not sure I agree with all the connections, but if anything it’s a great examination on how trauma impacts people.

https://twitter.com/sofistake/status/1290327926471307271?s=21

This was such a good read.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is this the same video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7J_1Xb_W4

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, that's the one that was posted the other day

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so what about this one then, is this new?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7EGQAHYVFA

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, that's a nice optimistic way to look at it. But we all know that it'll never happen, people will only know it as 'That game where you cruelly slaughter 800 dogs a minute' and never try it.

I think the game already moved past that a few days after release tbh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I literally only saw the dog stuff here on Something Awful I don’t think the average gamer is really that mortified. We grew up on Pokémon which is literally just animal abuse repackaged with primary colors

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What an incredible game. I played TLOU 1 for the first time and then this, back to back - not as a marathon but playing an hour or two a day, stopping whenever there was any kind of narrative break. I think both games benefited hugely from playing them as one long tale, and from not gunning through in a weekend. This will stick with me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also the surgeon flashback scene in 2 was frame for frame how it went down in my TLOU 1 playthrough, which was neat.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I think the way the game forces your hand in TLOU2 is similar to the ending of TLOU1. When Joel is rescuing Ellie, you have no choice other than killing the surgeons.
When I played it I thought I'd be able to knock them out or tie them up or something, but nope, Joel will only murder the lot of them.

On a different topic, one thing that always frustrates me a little about all stealth-based games is that it will put you in an area with lots of bad guys, and it's only after you've picked them all off or gotten into a stand-up firefight with them that you have a chance to look around properly and discover all the little hiding places and vents and tunnels that you could've used to avoid them entirely or get behind them without being seen. There's always a lot more to each level than you realise at first.
It's probably good for a second playthrough, I guess, but the first time you just think "D'oh, I could've gone through there and those two wouldn't have seen me at all!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I whole heartedly agree with that criticism of stealth games in general, but I also think TLOU 2 was one of the better ones in that regard. I felt like you can push through areas pretty dynamically and they are still pretty fun to explore after the dust settles which is more than I can say about most of them. Most of the time I'll play something like Deus Ex, Dishonored or whatever and after I kill everyone I'm like "oh hey I could have used that vent or thrown a carrot at that guy, but I just shot everyone cause I had plenty of ammo." I think TLOU 2 uses it's space well in that I naturally moved through a lot of it, and going back and checking the places I missed was rarely a waste of time.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

That's a lot of logged mo-cap time for poo poo 90% of the playerbase will never see ...

(If you felt that the violence in the game was too over the top, better not click, because, well....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvj-xOplybQ

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

mcbexx posted:

That's a lot of logged mo-cap time for poo poo 90% of the playerbase will never see ...

(If you felt that the violence in the game was too over the top, better not click, because, well....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvj-xOplybQ

60fps remaster is gonna slap. also they all deserve it crossing ellie, the correct and righteous protoganist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chinigz posted:

60fps remaster is gonna slap.

Sure hope they'll be able to add turning off the film grain by then as well.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Sure hope they'll be able to add turning off the film grain by then as well.

This must be a thing an expensive tv haver thing because I literally didn't notice it until I played around with photo mode. I agree though more options like this from TLOU1.

Weird question - since the cutscenes are pre-rendered, how is it that the characters always have the right melee weapons or whatever? Obviously they aren't pre-rendered then but I thought that was the point of them being loading screens.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

chinigz posted:

This must be a thing an expensive tv haver thing because I literally didn't notice it until I played around with photo mode. I agree though more options like this from TLOU1.

Weird question - since the cutscenes are pre-rendered, how is it that the characters always have the right melee weapons or whatever? Obviously they aren't pre-rendered then but I thought that was the point of them being loading screens.

I imagine the (generally) close shots in controlled environments is what gives them the extra resources to unload old assets and load in the new assets but I know little about any of this so maybe not

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chinigz posted:

I've only got like a 120$ 32" TV I bought years ago :v: but I felt like something was off for a while as I was playing it and then I looked for something about the game on google and it autocompleted asking about Film Grain and I went 'gently caress that's what was throwing me off!'

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I completed the game, picked a chapter to replay (the elementary school near the beginning)...and now I can't select encounters or chapters past that point. WTF

Is there any way I can get back to the ability to jump into chapters/encounters at will?

This is incredibly disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

False posted:

I completed the game, picked a chapter to replay (the elementary school near the beginning)...and now I can't select encounters or chapters past that point. WTF

Is there any way I can get back to the ability to jump into chapters/encounters at will?

This is incredibly disappointing.

Can't you go to the menu, load the game clear file and back out to pick anything? I think I did something like that.