Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yeah I just don't think it's a good series to bring up for positive female representation though. For the record I don't really have a problem with FFXV although it has zero appeal to me compared to the more weird and varied FFs of yesteryear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sinten posted:

this game is terrible because:

1. there is no true pacifist route
2. dead dogs.
3. only one ending
4. this game is not undertale
5. ludonarrative dissonance
6. too much muscle
7. too long
8. ellie should constantly be having panic attacks after every violence sequence where she phones her therapist for an impromptu prone session in a corner near the pile of dead bodies. i should be able to pour supplements into CBT therapy
9. the game is very wet. the characters should be wearing gloves at all times. 1/5 stars

I feel like you should be banned just to be safe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The dudes in FF are all the same and impossibly hot too. It's charming. My partner watching FF7R thought Cloud was more hilariously sexy than Tifa and Aerith.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah I just don't think it's a good series to bring up for positive female representation though. For the record I don't really have a problem with FFXV although it has zero appeal to me compared to the more weird and varied FFs of yesteryear

FF XV is fine. It's a fun romp that wears its heart on its sleeve. It's nowhere near as relevant in any way (then or now) as FF7 or 7R, which have very cool levels of representation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's just a weird thing where Naughty Dog from the beginning has had a colonialist thing where even in Crash 1 he kills "Aborigines" with an appearance more akin to Pacific Islanders

He's a pig-rat ffs, if he doesn't kill them then he's literally dinner

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He's a pig-rat ffs, if he doesn't kill them then he's literally dinner

It's still an odd choice to have included them as an enemy in the game and Crash 2 and 3 clearly pivoted by having the human enemies all be the same generic scientist model

I think I just miss that FF casts will never be as insane as my favourite, IX:
Yeah you play as a monkey-boy, rat lady, wizard puppet, a little girl with horns, the classic fantasy knight is a bumbling simp, a genderless blob that eats everything, the princess damsel is in your party and kills everything with giant monsters she summons, also some guy called Amarant hangs around and no one likes him

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The mask thingies literally say "ooga-booga". My gf played through the series and in 3 you fight entire levels of Oriental henchmen pulling rickshaws and poo poo lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Final Fantasy, like its name implies, is comprehensively obsessed with myth and legend, particularly European and Japanese myth and legend. So the source material it draws on is really lopsided as far as representation (quick, name a famous female heroine along the lines of King Arthur or Robin Hood) and in light of that, it's always seemed one of the less offensive blockbuster franchises in that regard

To bring up FF6 again, Terra is the closest thing to a main character, and they did a pretty good job there I thought

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Final Fantasy sucks because I can't name a single female character that would headbutt someone

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Final Fantasy sucks because I can't name a single female character that would headbutt someone

Tifa would do that poo poo in a minute. Tifa is bae

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think Abby's Only real dumb friends are Nora and Owen. Though I don't know why Mel thought going out on missions that heavily pregnant was a good idea. Jordan gets killed by surprise, Danny gets killed by Owen, and Leah gets killed off screen by Seraphites.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

All female Final Fantasy characters are either "infantalised male gaze object" or "stoic" with nothing in between. Sometimes the stoic ladies get to be male gaze objects too

I don't think there's anything infantalised or stoic about Quistis, Garnet, Freya, Yuna, Aerith, or Terra, to name a few. I also wouldn't call Rinoa a male gaze object, but :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think there's anything infantalised or stoic about Quistis, Garnet, Freya, Yuna, Aerith, or Terra, to name a few. I also wouldn't call Rinoa a male gaze object, but :shrug:

I think there's some confusion between is an anime teenager or young adult and infantalised. Fleshed out Aerith in FF7R was my favourite character by miles. She's a full on condescending dickhead to Cloud at times it rules.

chinigz
Nov 12, 2016

bobjr posted:

I think Abby's Only real dumb friends are Nora and Owen. Though I don't know why Mel thought going out on missions that heavily pregnant was a good idea. Jordan gets killed by surprise, Danny gets killed by Owen, and Leah gets killed off screen by Seraphites.

D*nny doesn’t go to Jackson, he’s an offscreen character the whole game

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Well, what a game. My playthrough took 31 hours and I'm kind of bummed that I don't have more time in this universe and these characters.

I avoided all the leaks, only got spoiled that a trans character existed (didn't know who) when I decided that I needed to stay off gaming websites I usually frequent and I know better than to check a SA thread expecting to not get spoiled by accident, by morons or some poor sap who messes up their spoilers tag. I don't even watch movies/games trailers to avoid any spoilers so everything was new to me while playing. It was great. I pretty much read the whole thread and it's been discussed a lot and lots of people are sharing their interpretations of events/endings/etc... so I'll do something different while touching a bit on those parts.

I was always a PC gamer but owned pretty much all consoles of each generations even if I ended up not playing much and somehow missing big games sometimes. In 2017 I think I was looking at PS4 games and I don't know how The Last of Us Remastered got on my radar but it did and it blew me away. I got really attached to Joel and Ellie through the journey in this hosed up world and interesting universe/setting and while I don't have children, I don't think I was too far off Joel's age at 36 when I played it and I really "bonded" with Ellie like he did. He wanted nothing to do with this at the beginning while Ellie was just this NPC to me but as you go through this journey, I changed alongside Joel. The banter, dialogue, events really make you care for Ellie. I mean poo poo, I don't know if Joel does that right away as I can't remember but at some point I noticed that when you stealth and take cover, when you're in the same tile as her, Joel kind of shield/cover Ellie with his body. Also, at some point in the game, Joel gets sick and they gave me control of Ellie for what I thought was a few minutes of just a segment but no, you play as this 14 -15 years old having to survive by herself and doing bad poo poo in the process. That's when I knew Ellie was now part of my fictive family while immersed in this world.

All of that to say that I came in Part 2 caring about this older Ellie before the game even started. I played the first game so I knew that she can't be a normal person in this world on top of all the bad poo poo that happened to her and what she did to survive. That's why, in Day 3 or post day 3, when you take control of Abby, I was a bit miffed that I couldn't continue playing as Ellie and since I didn't like Abby in the first place, I had an "awww poo poo" moment. The fact that you start from scratch to level her up and how long Day 1 as her was taking made me realize they'd make me play all 3 days to catch up to Ellie's story. I didn't like that I couldn't play with all my new cool toys I now had with Ellie but mostly I wanted more Ellie stuff since I wasn't invested in Abby like Ellie when it happened in the first game. Both Ellie and Abby are not nice persons so even knowing what happened with Abby, I didn't switch gear and think Abby is the "good guy" and Ellie is now the villain, it didn't change my stances that both are hosed up. I knew those ex fireflies were not totally evil like the last group you encounter in California so it didn't make me care more about Abby and her friends but I ended up enjoying day 2 and 3 with her. I really liked her design, though, I was always amazed at how buff and strong she was and kept thinking it ruled as I can't remember playing this kind of women who can bench press a 180lbs man before. I like how she almost turns into Joel protecting youths but can people really bond that strong in 1.5 day? I liked her progression in that regard but the time frame on it doesn't work for me.

That's also why, without going into more details or spoilers, when Ellie she does stuff that seems wrong or erratic (or not like you'd want to play as a player), I kinda get it and I can easily explain it because she's hosed up mentally (all that trauma) and doesn't know any different. Am I the only one in this situation where you know Ellie was flawed before Part 2 starts so you just roll with it? I see a lot of mention of people changing opinions after the spoiler stuff above.

Ending spoiler : That's why I like the ending but like the first game, I really want to continue the story and see where it would go. I care for Ellie and I was sure she was going to die or totally turn from the light for good so I was really relived when she stops herself from killing Abby when she finally sees Joel's normal face and not his hosed up post golf club one for the first time since his brutal killing and that's when you know she now just gave up her revenge for good. Tommy is a bastard for doing this to Ellie and guilt her to rekindle her mission but with all the trauma, PTSD and stuff, I don't think she would be able to let go at the dream house without the ending we got. Yeah, Dina's dream life on that farm is ruined but her vengeance is over so she can either stay broken in all other aspects or she can try to heal a bit. She also lost her last piece of Joel to this quest, the guitar playing, it broke my heart a bit when she finds out she can't play but for me is when she leaves Joel's guitar behind before leaving the house that clinched it and it clicks that this drat quest for revenge robbed her of everything she had left of Joel aside from memories.

Future game wish : If they make a third game, I'd like to have a bit of hope this time where Ellie was able to heal somewhat, maybe joined with Abby/Lev to find a cure (not a vaccine) to heal people who haven't turned or to get rid of infected growth/spores to start cleansing the world. Heck, a quest to start healing the world would be nice. Maybe Ellie is 35 and you play as her protégé... Characters trying to go against this world where every factions just kill each other with no real thoughts, trying to bring real change (fail if you want to keep the depressing world but at least have a pure motive for the game objective this time).

Well this turned out way longer than I thought and I guess people won't read when they see this wall of text. I play a lot of games and rarely they make me want to talk about them as much as this one. Sadly, none of my friends are interested in these kind of narative games so I have nobody to discuss them.

This game looks amazing, sounds amazing, is long, a good story all things considered as I've read worse stuff and games often have low bars on that front, stealth but I suck so I need to adapt when I get caught/exploration/crafting is totally my jam, etc... I wouldn't say 10/10 because its not perfect but I'm glad I played a sequel for The Last of Us and it didn't suck for me so I really appreciated those 31 hours which is what a game is for in the end.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 5, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hemish posted:

Well, what a game. My playthrough took 31 hours and I'm kind of bummed that I don't have more time in this universe and these characters.

Future game wish : If they make a third game, I'd like to have a bit of hope this time where Ellie was able to heal somewhat, maybe joined with Abby/Lev to find a cure (not a vaccine) to heal people who haven't turned or to get rid of infected growth/spores to start cleansing the world. Heck, a quest to start healing the world would be nice. Maybe Ellie is 35 and you play as her protégé... Characters trying to go against this world where every factions just kill each other with no real thoughts, trying to bring real change (fail if you want to keep the depressing world but at least have a pure motive for the game objective this time).

Well this turned out way longer than I thought and I guess people won't read when they see this wall of text. I play a lot of games and rarely they make me want to talk about them as much as this one. Sadly, none of my friends are interested in these kind of narative games so I have nobody to discuss them.

This game looks amazing, sounds amazing, is long, a good story all things considered as I've read worse stuff and games often have low bars on that front, stealth but I suck so I need to adapt when I get caught/exploration/crafting is totally my jam, etc... I wouldn't say 10/10 because its not perfect but I'm glad I played a sequel for The Last of Us and it didn't suck for me so I really appreciated those 31 hours which is what a game is for in the end.

Yeah I agree with you there. Now that I'm going through it again, I can't help but want a game that's you wiping out the zombies rather than all this character study stuff. I'm at the point now where I wanna play a game about clearing out Cordyceps in buildings with molotovs or something.

Something like Starcraft Creep but the focus is pushing that back rather than getting involved with monsters of some kind.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I will observe something, which is that from a purely craft perspective, they do something kind of interesting with this game's divisions in terms of using gameplay to make you like or dislike the experience of playing a character:

Ellie is a stealth character, and playing her prioritizes skulking, stealthy murder, and a sort of nervous anxiety. Her enemies are also usually more humanized, so it all sort of feeds into trying to make you, the player, feel uncomfortable or at least morally compromised while playing her. She also largely tends to lack any real backup or community bonds for long stretches of play, further intensifying a sense of isolation and moral ambiguity.

Abby, by contrast, is basically handed a slightly-grimmer Uncharted gameplay loop from the get go. Her kit prioritizes stand up fighting, and she leaps into Day 1 with an aggressive Uncharted-esque running battle against the cartoonishly evil Seraphites with their spooky whistles and malicious pursuit shortly after an extensive amount of forced-humanizing dialogue and interactions with a large group of people all of whom the game aggressively portrays as Normal Everyday People. She's got more backup too - multiple friends and even a drat dog, the very dog whom you just viscerally shanked and then watched bleed out on the floor as Ellie.

Playing Abby feels more comfortable than playing Ellie, less fundamentally hostile and unwholesome, while at the same time the Ellie gameplay loop has been aggressively designed to make the player feel on edge, queasy and uncomfortable.

Given that Abby is introduced in the prologue at her literal lowest point, this is, I think, a clever - if annoyingly manipulative given the twee flashback to her time with Jerry - way to try and guide the player's impulsive assessment of each woman to get them to like Abby more when you segue over to her.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 5, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I hope that they patch in a collectible mode or something. The way it's set up now if you wanted to go through specific chapters to clean up collectibles you have to do it all backwards so you don't erase the save game

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hey all, I'm at the point in the first open-exploration area where I'm being prompted to go back to the gently caress Fedra Gate -- will I have the chance to return to this area and clear the remaining unexplored buildings on the map later, or should I hit them all now before moving on? (I never played Uncharted: Lost Legacy.)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

emgeejay posted:

Hey all, I'm at the point in the first open-exploration area where I'm being prompted to go back to the gently caress Fedra Gate -- will I have the chance to return to this area and clear the remaining unexplored buildings on the map later, or should I hit them all now before moving on? (I never played Uncharted: Lost Legacy.)

Hit them now. You won't have any chance to come back.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

Hit them now. You won't have any chance to come back.
Figured when I saw the gate lock behind me, but fortunately I made a manual save first. Thank you!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Ok yeah the entire drat tone of this game has shifted, and shifted so hard that it actually makes my head spin a little and makes me deeply kinda annoyed, once we made the switch to Abby.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jetrauben posted:

Ok yeah the entire drat tone of this game has shifted, and shifted so hard that it actually makes my head spin a little and makes me deeply kinda annoyed, once we made the switch to Abby.

How do you think the tone shifted? I felt like the beginning of Abby was almost exactly the same tonally as the beginning with Ellie. They progress similarly, and tonally they are basically the same as each other in progression? I really equated them both the same in my head at least.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

BitBasher posted:

How do you think the tone shifted? I felt like the beginning of Abby was almost exactly the same tonally as the beginning with Ellie. They progress similarly, and tonally they are basically the same as each other in progression? I really equated them both the same in my head at least.

Abby's plotline fundamentally begins with a much more intensely conventional heroic narrative fighting against transparently evil assholes in the Seraphites, as opposed to skulking prowling and hiding for murder against humans who are pointedly humanized with normal conversations instead of the Seraphites' fanaticism. Not only that, she is pointedly given a far more robust support network and social circle, while Ellie and Dina and Jessie always have a thick layer of awkwardness and discomfort due to Ellie's...Issues.

It's not that Abby is morally better - she sure as gently caress is not, given she and her friends are on board with torture for sport - but she feels less viscerally unpleasant to play due to that robust social network, constantly being surrounded by friends and associates the game is trying to make you feel bad for Ellie having killed, and the up-front, powerful, brawler-y gameplay.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 5, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jetrauben posted:

Abby's plotline fundamentally begins with a much more intensely conventional heroic narrative fighting against transparently evil assholes in the Seraphites, as opposed to skulking prowling and hiding for murder against humans who are pointedly humanized with normal conversations instead of the Seraphites' fanaticism.

Unless I missed something, Ellie's arc began with an equally heroic narrative fighting against infected for the first good chunk of fights though? Ellie's plotline doesn't begin by fighting humans at all. Ellie's plot gets there before too long, but only after the turn.

Jetrauben posted:

Not only that, she is pointedly given a far more robust support network and social circle, while Ellie and Dina and Jessie always have a thick layer of awkwardness and discomfort due to Ellie's...Issues.

I didn't read it that way at all? Walking through town Ellie gets as many people calling out to get by name and offering friendly greetings as Abby does I think. A single NPC makes a reference to a single off screen event where the person in question apologizes about it and by the same associated body language legitimately seems embarrassed and apologetic that it happens. His own wife is on Ellie's side, as is basically everyone else? Ellie thinks she needs to sneak off but it turns out the people of Jackson, including the leadership, actually have her back and help her. She seems to have a full support structure intact for her. The only awkwardness I saw was because she made out with the recently broken up with girlfriend of the person she is talking to and she seems uncomfortable with her own actions regarding that, since it's the next morning and the chips have not fallen. I saw no unease other than that.

Jetrauben posted:

It's not that Abby is morally better - she sure as gently caress is not, given she and her friends are on board with torture for sport - but she feels less viscerally unpleasant to play due to that robust social network, constantly being surrounded by friends and associates the game is trying to make you feel bad for Ellie having killed, and the up-front, powerful, brawler-y gameplay.

Again, our experiences seem to differ dramatically. I stealthed the game with Abbie pretty much the same way I did with Ellie. I ended up buying nor using all the brawler or most combat skills, and bought and used all the stealth based ones like I did with Ellie. Hearing distance, movement speed while listening, faster crawl and movement speed with a hostage. Abbie works just fine with stealth gameplay. The only real issue is shivs, but you can just bypass most of the clickers and not need them. I've honestly been confused at the people that are saying Abby sucks at stealth.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jetrauben posted:

Abby's plotline fundamentally begins with a much more intensely conventional heroic narrative fighting against transparently evil assholes in the Seraphites, as opposed to skulking prowling and hiding for murder against humans who are pointedly humanized with normal conversations instead of the Seraphites' fanaticism. Not only that, she is pointedly given a far more robust support network and social circle, while Ellie and Dina and Jessie always have a thick layer of awkwardness and discomfort due to Ellie's...Issues.

Maybe like, finish the game and form an opinion on it then?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe like, finish the game and form an opinion on it then?

that would be antithetical to the 2LOU experience, Veni, you idiot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Liveposting is a time-honored tradition of experiencing games you GateKeeper

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I already finished, so any dumb posts I made while playing are already null and void and I have moved on to judging people's knee jerk reactions.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
re-reading everything I'd missed from pg ~18 and remembering now that I still hated the (post-Ellie day 3 chat) switch to Abby so much, I initially purposefully left behind parts, supplements and such thinking that this was only going to be a short interlude to playing Ellie again. :xd:

whoops!

Ending chat:

Still wrestling with the ending and my feelings about it. I never felt that Joel made the wrong choice in TLOU1, and like him, if I was given a second chance and a choice in that position, I'd make the same choice again. So not having a choice in TLOU1 never really bothered me that much.

There is a story which has resonated with me for a long time called "The Scholar's Tale" within the novel Hyperion, written by Dan Simmons. In it, a scholar named Sol Weintraub wrestles with a disease that causes his adult daughter to age backwards in time, and has vividly recurring dreams about needing to sacrifice his daughter to God as a burnt offering. Eventually he comes to a conclusion: allegiance to a deity or concept or universal principle which put obedience above decent behavior toward an innocent human being is evil.

That always colored my perception of Joel's actions in TLOU1. Joel was Abraham, commanded to sacrifice his son Isaac (Ellie), to prove his allegiance to humanity, to the ultimate worth of humanity, to the concept of humanity having some moral certitude to exist. I didn't think that was ever the case given the state of humanity shown in the game, and still don't. At the end, I tried not to kill the doctors but ultimately did when needed. Nothing about the state of the world or the Fireflies suggested that the "cure", if developed, would stop the spread of the fungus, could even be manufactured and distributed in sufficient quantities, or wouldn't be abused by the Fireflies themselves.

In TLOU2, even when playing as Abby and having to fight Ellie, through all of Abby's struggles and her bonding with Lev and Yara, I never was able to let go of how personal it felt to have Ellie watch Joel be brutally tortured and murdered in front of her. Not just because of how much I, personally, felt about Joel after the first game, or how loving insanely well done they captured the anguish, rage, pure hate on Ellie's face during the act and her post act trauma, but because I still felt it was the right choice by Joel to not sacrifice Ellie. Abby was acting as an avenging angel for an already fallen humanity, and her murdering Joel the way she did always made her just more wrongheaded Firefly trash to me.

So for me, this game and its ultimate journey resonated much differently with me than did the first. The first was about refusing an ultimate moral imperative that required the sacrifice of an innocent. I didn't care about not sacrificing Ellie, because it was clear to me by the end of the first game that humanity was already beyond "saving" and sacrificing an innocent wasn't worth a "maybe", even with the retconning of the Fireflies they did within this game.

Conversely, to me, TLOU2 was much more about the personal nature of trauma and revenge, without the overarching backdrop of "a possible cure" and I think ultimately telling that story in an interactive medium requires agency by the player, or you undercut one of the core themes of the story, that you always have a choice in pursuing vengeance, and whether it is "right" or not comes very much down to one's personal feeling, as opposed to a moral imperative/dis-imperative.

The only part which gives me pause is Lev. I don't see any way of murdering Abby and not murdering Lev by extension given the situation as presented. If I didn't see Lev before I saw Abby, I could reasonably infer he escaped or was already dead. Having seen him tied up though, it makes it a lot harder to divest oneself of the morality of also murdering Lev.

TL;DR As Ellie I'm a bloodthirsty monster, what's one more body amongst hundreds, Abby deserved worse, and I absolutely would have murdered Abby with a silenced SMG shot to the dome the second I identified her on the pillar and gone back to my empty-rear end farmhouse all fingers intact.

Maybe I even catch Dina while she's moving out and I'm like "yo binch i'm back wtf"

:colbert:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 5, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ending abby having all of her human and dog friends killed and spending a while crucified seems like pretty sufficient punishment to me but i guess i'm just not that upset about my big strong video game daddy getting murked

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Abby is the only person in TLOU2 to be offered mercy and doesn't then use it as an opportunity to strike back. She's also the only person to make a friend during the course of the story.

This being a Naughty Dog game, the lack of decision points isn't a surprise--they make movies with interactive fight scenes, it's just their schtick. That said, having yet another game insist that I work hard to win a fight so that I can dramatically lose it in a cutscene still rankles. Every goddamn time.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Aw come the gently caress on, that's plural "marvel at the beauty of nature and cute animals" scenes in rapid succession in Abby Day 1 Seattle alone!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Jetrauben posted:

Aw come the gently caress on, that's plural "marvel at the beauty of nature and cute animals" scenes in rapid succession in Abby Day 1 Seattle alone!

Of all the blood and gore in this game, it's the zebra placenta that really sticks with me for some reason.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Of all the blood and gore in this game, it's the zebra placenta that really sticks with me for some reason.

You're not alone. I saw it from the corner of my eye and went to investigate and I was thinking to myself, oh wow that's messed up, what new horrors this game will unleash upon me... then the characters said what it was.

On a gameplay note, if you do a New Game+, do you need to open all safes again to get the achievement or only the one you missed? I'm also asking for the collectibles/letters, etc... I found in the options that I can get an icon on the prompt that will let me know if it's something I've seen previously as far as stuff you can examine / pick up but I don't know if you need to redo them all again for the ones you already collected on the same playthrough to count?

Also, during the course of this NG+, is there a way to know what (and if) you're missing stuff before moving on to the next zone that prevents you from coming back? I'd like not to take 31 hours again (or more) by getting everything redoing all my exploration that I thought pretty complete. I'm mostly looking for journal entries, artefacts, etc... but might as well do the cards or coins while I'm at it. I saw the chapter select thing before starting the NG+ which showed that but can you still refer to this list during the NG+?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ex post facho posted:

re-reading everything I'd missed from pg ~18 and remembering now that I still hated the (post-Ellie day 3 chat) switch to Abby so much, I initially purposefully left behind parts, supplements and such thinking that this was only going to be a short interlude to playing Ellie again. :xd:

whoops!

Ending chat:

Still wrestling with the ending and my feelings about it. I never felt that Joel made the wrong choice in TLOU1, and like him, if I was given a second chance and a choice in that position, I'd make the same choice again. So not having a choice in TLOU1 never really bothered me that much.

There is a story which has resonated with me for a long time called "The Scholar's Tale" within the novel Hyperion, written by Dan Simmons. In it, a scholar named Sol Weintraub wrestles with a disease that causes his adult daughter to age backwards in time, and has vividly recurring dreams about needing to sacrifice his daughter to God as a burnt offering. Eventually he comes to a conclusion: allegiance to a deity or concept or universal principle which put obedience above decent behavior toward an innocent human being is evil.

That always colored my perception of Joel's actions in TLOU1. Joel was Abraham, commanded to sacrifice his son Isaac (Ellie), to prove his allegiance to humanity, to the ultimate worth of humanity, to the concept of humanity having some moral certitude to exist. I didn't think that was ever the case given the state of humanity shown in the game, and still don't. At the end, I tried not to kill the doctors but ultimately did when needed. Nothing about the state of the world or the Fireflies suggested that the "cure", if developed, would stop the spread of the fungus, could even be manufactured and distributed in sufficient quantities, or wouldn't be abused by the Fireflies themselves.

In TLOU2, even when playing as Abby and having to fight Ellie, through all of Abby's struggles and her bonding with Lev and Yara, I never was able to let go of how personal it felt to have Ellie watch Joel be brutally tortured and murdered in front of her. Not just because of how much I, personally, felt about Joel after the first game, or how loving insanely well done they captured the anguish, rage, pure hate on Ellie's face during the act and her post act trauma, but because I still felt it was the right choice by Joel to not sacrifice Ellie. Abby was acting as an avenging angel for an already fallen humanity, and her murdering Joel the way she did always made her just more wrongheaded Firefly trash to me.

So for me, this game and its ultimate journey resonated much differently with me than did the first. The first was about refusing an ultimate moral imperative that required the sacrifice of an innocent. I didn't care about not sacrificing Ellie, because it was clear to me by the end of the first game that humanity was already beyond "saving" and sacrificing an innocent wasn't worth a "maybe", even with the retconning of the Fireflies they did within this game.

Conversely, to me, TLOU2 was much more about the personal nature of trauma and revenge, without the overarching backdrop of "a possible cure" and I think ultimately telling that story in an interactive medium requires agency by the player, or you undercut one of the core themes of the story, that you always have a choice in pursuing vengeance, and whether it is "right" or not comes very much down to one's personal feeling, as opposed to a moral imperative/dis-imperative.

The only part which gives me pause is Lev. I don't see any way of murdering Abby and not murdering Lev by extension given the situation as presented. If I didn't see Lev before I saw Abby, I could reasonably infer he escaped or was already dead. Having seen him tied up though, it makes it a lot harder to divest oneself of the morality of also murdering Lev.

TL;DR As Ellie I'm a bloodthirsty monster, what's one more body amongst hundreds, Abby deserved worse, and I absolutely would have murdered Abby with a silenced SMG shot to the dome the second I identified her on the pillar and gone back to my empty-rear end farmhouse all fingers intact.

Maybe I even catch Dina while she's moving out and I'm like "yo binch i'm back wtf"

:colbert:

Thanks for your thoughts. Might I venture, in the abstract, that both games are about a choice...that to outsiders presents no easy answers, but to the people making them reminds us that they couldn't choose any other way and still live with themselves.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, after having slept on it and mulled it over a little more ultimately I can't be too upset with that ending. As others have said, Abby suffered enough. Ellie turning away from a final act of vengeance was a fitting conclusion to her story, in a way her ultimate act of forgiving Joel, even if my initial reaction to her choice was colored by my own feelings on revenge.

The real question is, what does she tell Tommy when she's back in Jackson?

Factions when

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Well I've met Lev and Yara and embarked on Abby's inexplicably passionate heroic quest to save them both. Lev seems a good kid, but I'm sort of struggling with any belief that Abby - she of the "I would like to torture a few prisoners just to let off some steam" - is suddenly absolutely gung-ho about doing these two kids a good turn. I mean, it isn't entirely unreasonable, but it feels a bit artificial in much the same way the game's constantly throwing Heartwarming and/or Cute Flashbacks to the World's Most Grimdark CW Show's Murder Crew having Friend Moments feels...weird.

Honestly at this point, it's not even funny how vastly different the gameplay experience is between Abby and Ellie? Abby is just hilariously better armed and better prepared, has a lot more company and friends, and it makes fighting as her a LOT less stressful than Ellie's angst-ridden Predator. She really does basically play like Joel, which is of course partly an authorial statement, but also is very much designed to make her feel stronger and less uncomfortable.

The game absolutely wants you to like being Abby, so as to sway you away from your impulsive distaste for her - a distaste that Owen shares, so, I'll give the man credit for recognizing that Abby beating the poo poo out of a man until he was soaked in piss and blood was hosed Up.

But apparently not hosed Up enough to not immediately gently caress her!

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 6, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Well I've met Lev and Yara and embarked on Abby's inexplicably passionate heroic quest to save them both. Lev seems a good kid, but I'm sort of struggling with any belief that Abby - she of the "I would like to torture a few prisoners just to let off some steam" - is suddenly absolutely gung-ho about doing these two kids a good turn. I mean, it isn't entirely unreasonable, but it feels a bit artificial in much the same way the game's constantly throwing Heartwarming and/or Cute Flashbacks to the World's Most Grimdark CW Show's Murder Crew having Friend Moments feels...weird.

Abby feels guilty about loving Owen behind Mel's back. that's like the main impetus for her realising she needs to do SOMETHING good in order to sleep at night after everything she's been doing with the WLF.

ex post facho posted:

The real question is, what does she tell Tommy when she's back in Jackson?

hopefully she decides to never talk to him again because that's what he deserves

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Is there any way to download the OST to anything that's NOT the PS4 if you pre-ordered the deluxe version?