Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

For the record I think the real piece of poo poo in the whole story is (ending spoilers) Tommy. Especially when at the end he isn’t asking Ellie to go with him he’s asking her to do it for him. Like motherfucker we had a character lose an arm and she was a kid and still got on with it, and you can’t do to this because you only have one eye? Plus how much he manipulates Ellie and plays on what we find out at the very end is her guilt. gently caress Tommy

he doesn't just lose an eye, he's hosed up in other ways too and he went on a one man suicide mission to stop ellie from going in the beginning, doesn't make what he does at the end right but eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Darko posted:

Yeah, it's specifically put at that point in the game to solidify her as the more villainous protagonist, as she knew that it was a "revenge" killing for him murdering people and didn't care to the point of killing people who didn't directly kill Joel, while the other protagonist that you take over as purposely avoids killing anyone except the one person she feels is guilty.

they were part of a lynch mob and they didn't just kill him, they tortured him to death

gently caress them

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Abby's father was a (brain?) surgeon who taught her about the sanctity of life and agonised massively over the idea of killing one person to have a chance at saving the human species.

i don't think we watched the same cutscene

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Doctors are trained to make triage decisions that can seem cold to people who don't deal with life and death on a daily basis. The fact that he expressed any misgivings at all at a point where he'd already clearly decided on a course of action made me feel like it was a decision he had struggled with. I think he was naive about the Fireflies' ability to turn a candidate vaccine into something that could actually be distributed, but I don't think he made the decision to go through with the procedure lightly.

i only go by what the game shows me

and the only person struggling with the decision is marlene, abbys father seemed like a coward that dodged the question what he would do if it was his own daughter and didn't want to inform the man that risked life and limb to get ellie to them

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

pretty sure if someone was seen to have doomed
humanity and also killed your father youd want him dead no matter what as well

imho there is a difference between just killing someone and torturing them and then beating them to death in front of a screaming girl

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Finally cleared the game, Tommy making sure Ellie is as miserable and divorced as he is was pretty rough. Hopefully Abby and Lev are off the misery roller coaster for good, but I'm sure the last surviving Fireflies are real pieces of work so who knows.

ending spoiler

it would be pretty hosed up if ellie got a happy ending after everything that happens in the game

and i liked that she blew up her perfect life because the memory of joel still haunts her

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
ending spoilers

joel spends like a year with ellie, they save each other a bunch of times and joel is still reluctant for most of it, abby knows lev for 2-3? days and starts killing her former comrades, doesn't really work for me

and I think the ending would have been better if abby was already dead when ellie finds her and she just saves lev, everything else being the same

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

JBP posted:

I don't understand why Manny sucks.

spitting on people is disgusting, also anime

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
owen sucks and im glad he's dead

am0kgonzo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 29, 2020

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
about abbys friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
abby is on steroids

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

if your point is that abbys upper body looks just as buff as a world record holding powerlifter on steroids, who is also quite short and whose entire life revolves around lifting, then yeah, good point

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

funny that ultra-chiseled hunk of muscle male leads in post-apoc games never raise an eyebrow amongst players while a woman character who is explicitly into deadlifting and says precisely how much she can lift is some kind of unrealistic pandering

i don't know who you're talking about, but that would also be silly, yes

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

pictured: a man who subsists on dog food and has a busted leg

they should have made him look like mel gibson, i agree

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah good point. I was also just looking at footage of Mirror's Edge and it's a beautiful game. Anything with a highly stylised or unique aesthetic ages great.

To be more precise, anything aiming for highly realistic or detailed environments or character models looks like a downgrade after this. (Except for maybe Red Dead Redemption 2? I haven't played it but it seems to look pretty drat good from footage I've seen)

rdr2 is about the same level, the characters look slightly worse, the gore isn't as detailed but other animations are better and everything to do with horseriding is much better imho

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I dunno about RDR. I don't love open world games and the slow pace of it seems unappealing to me. I also don't really want to support Rockstar as a company, I find them actively repulsive. Their "satire" is less interesting than family guy and the scene where you torture a Middle Eastern man "It's clever because the crazy guy makes quips during it" is one of the worst things ever put in a video game.

rockstars stance on torture seems to be alot better than naughty dogs

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This game presents it as awful while that one depicts it as funny.

one depicts it as an effective way to obtain intel, the other as a way for the feds to obtain an excuse to assassinate somebody

im not disputing that rockstars satire is incredibly heavy handed

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Reposting this because it stands toe to toe with some of the best TLOU/2LOU criticism of the last 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bat38vErWr4

at least 1 thing he got wrong is mel fighting to protect abby, she hates her and is ready to give her up

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

david wasnt a paedophile was he? dont think its even implied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDG9K5Pu3VA&t=147s

"davids newest pet"

he's a pedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Agreed. In fact I'll go so far as to say that I don't like you can just choose not to kill the other two doctors in the operating room in the first game.

uh, why? killing the one doctor that's in his way makes sense for joels character, just slaughtering everybody in the room doesn't