Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The far more annoying thing about Abby's appearance is her braid. It easily ranks among the most impractical hairstyles to have during a zombie apocalypse because it is so easily grabbed. She should have snipped that thing off years ago. The comically evil slavers probably did her a favour in shaving her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Also, yet another take on the ending where they don't pick up on the Joel's face thing, which tells me they didn't read the freakin' diaries! :mad:

To be fair, the game undermines the impact of the moment itself thanks to the flashbacks you experience throughout the game. If the first time Ellie saw Joel's unbroken face was also the first time the player saw it as well, I think the moment would have been more profound and conveyed its importance more clearly as well.

I'm not suggesting excising Ellie's flashbacks, since those are the best part of the game, but it's one of the many issues created by the game's unusual (some would say poor) structure.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I can see it both ways but I think reading the scene as sexual is more thematically cogent considering David's role as "the Anti-Joel". He twists Joel and Ellie's platonic father-daughter relationship into something perverse.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I'd say the first game is arguably palindrome, in that the conclusion is an inversion of the opening. I'm not sure TLOUII is one.

TLOU II's structure is:
Prologue -> Seattle Day 1 -> Seattle Day 2 -> Seattle Day 3 -> Seattle Day 1 -> Seattle Day 2 -> Seattle Day 3 -> Epilogue

That's not a palindrome. It's a, I dunno, reduplication?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 22, 2020

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except the prologue and the epilogue in 2LOU both have 4 parts each composed of roughly the same narrative weight; thematically it has a structure with a fuzzy sort of mirror symmetry.

Can you elaborate on this? I can roughly see how you could divide the prologue and epilogue (really, it's more of a coda and an epilogue) into four parts, although those four parts are wildly varied in length and scope, but it seems like a stretch to call them symmetrical or to say they have the same narrative weight. Happy to hear your thoughts though.