Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Only two hours in (just got to 69420) but its great so far. Just saw my first spoiler on Twitter, but it's something I assumed would happen pretty early anyway.

I feel like this is first Naughty Dog game where the difference between the cutscene and gameplay visuals is really obvious. I'm playing on a launch day PSPoor but Ellie's face looks kind of rough in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I definitely prefer to blatantly stab the poo poo out of a dude than the game tell me that the incredibly deadly thing I just did just knocked the guy out. It feels more honest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

I'm finding the game super easy, but I've beaten the original on Grounded so I'm not surprised

I just assumed I'd want to play it at least 4 times and didn't want to stress the first time

Does this one have lots of unlockable costumes like the first? I want my Angel Knives outfit

Here's hoping for Donut Drake!

I wish the (first hour or so) PS3 you find early on was usable like the PS1 in UC4 was. There were copies of Jak 3 and UC2 just sat there begging to be played.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RareAcumen posted:

It's the exact same technique that Batman uses! How is anyone supposed to tell the difference between lethal and not?

Batman 100% kills the gently caress out of everyone. Don't listen to his propaganda.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They don't look bad by any means, about the same as most other PS4 games. It's just a very stark contrast because the cutscene character models look so good.

FF7R does have nicer looking in game character models but that's fine. You don't really notice when you're playing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Still on day 1 but I'm so glad ND had built on what worked in the last two Uncharted games. Not being afraid to go long periods without combat and giving the player wide areas to explore is great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LionArcher posted:

I went and watched all the cut scenes last night

What the gently caress

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I loving love the new workbench animations. Ellie disassembles her weapons with accuracy like she’s Forrest Gump.

Yeah I love that it keeps just enough off camera that you can believe that she's doing some ingenious tinkering. She even turns on the little light on the workbench.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can I buy DLC that makes the listen mode detect infected that I'm not meant to know about?

loving thing giving me a false sense of security before I open a door.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kind of confused by all of the first impressions suggesting that the game is nothing but endless misery. So far the game is full of little moments of levity and humanity just like the first one was.

Also how has there not been a perfect rendition on Through the Fire and Flames on Ellie's gee-tar yet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I also don't really think Druckmann was going to bat for the guy or agreeing with the comparison - he just doesn't want his game to be a poo poo flinging match for that kind of thing.

I really wish the leaks hadn't happened and that there wasn't so much marketing build up. A lot of people will have been turned off by it. I'd love to see Naughty Dog switch to the model of releasing games a few months after announcement.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I agree, and I imagine the industry is relying in decade old focus group data to determine that men don't want to play as a gay man in games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm so bad at stealth in this. Like it's usually a few seconds before I get seen and blow a bunch of ammo/melee points clearing the room. I don't usually have these problems with stealth games but I can't seem to hack it here.

Which is fine, I don't mind freaking out and wasting health packs every time I stumble on some infected, but it's a bit at odds with the characters who are supposedly pros at taking these things out by now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

veni veni veni posted:

it feels like television is eclipsing Hollywood and the games industry in regards to representation.

It's eclipsing Hollywood and the games industry on most fronts, creatively.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

morallyobjected posted:

I haven't been following any media, but are ND patting themselves on the back over representation or are we just talking about the industry in general?

I haven't seen ND say anything specifically about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A lot of people who straight up dislike the gameplay are saying it's the same as Naughty Dog's precious games. Their style definitely isn't for everyone, especially if you prefer system based games over narrative/setpiece based ones.

But this is the seventh game they've made in this style. Surely at some point you'd just stop buying them if you're really not a fan of what they do.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, you can like the basic gameplay while still thinking that it's growing stale from lack of any real innovation or change. It wouldn't be exactly unfair to say that if someone asked you what playing the game is like, you could just tell them that it's pretty much the same as TLOU 1 with a new plot and not have left out anything particularly important by doing so.

I'd argue that while the moment to moment gameplay hasn't changed much the way the worlds are designed has evolved drastically.

While you can definitely accuse UC1-3 (and arguably TLOU1) of being endless cycles of arena > cutscene, that definitely isn't true of their PS4 output. They've come a really long way in terms of environmental storytelling where most AAA developers haven't. This is by far the most open of their games to date too which really changes up how you approach getting through areas.

If I have any real complaints about the gameplay it's that the areas are so densely packed and huge that it's really easy to miss stuff unless you spend literal hours combing through everything - which is a bummer when there's so many vital upgrades and story content to be scavenged.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SUNKOS posted:

For me I like Naughty Dog games (I'm a big fan of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it") but I do dislike how the balance of content in their games has shifted.

Uncharted 2 & 3 were perfect content-wise. They both had singleplayer campaigns that were just the right length. Good co-op modes and excellent multiplayer. With Uncharted 4 they ruined multiplayer, dropped the co-op modes (I know they patched one in after the online died) and made singleplayer a lot longer and I missed having the full package, if that makes sense? TLOU1 never had co-op but multiplayer was great and TLOU2 has ditched everything for a singleplayer campaign that is apparently very long?. I would have really liked multiplayer to be a part of the game still, and maybe have ND return to making co-op modes as well, especially since TLOU would be ideal for some kind of horde mode.

This extends to a lot of Sony first party studios however and it's happened this generation. PS3 days had some great multiplayer in their games but the PS4 has been too focused on everything being singleplayer only which I've found disappointing, personally. Definitely missing factions and I'm paranoid that whatever this separate multiplayer thing ND is apparently developing is will inevitably be some kind of battle royale game. It's a shame because they were kinda Sony's answer to Gears of War which was great, and offered the full solo/co-op/versus package like they did, but now it's all about the singleplayer.

They've stuck with the same gameplay, which is good imo, but changed the content delivery and focus which I think is a change for the worse. I really like multiplayer though so that's just me.

This is fair enough. For me personally the multiplayer was something I played for an hour before getting bored with, and the co op was a waste of disc space - so I'm pretty happy they've been ditched in favour of the campaign. I feel like that's just where ND's strength lies. :shrug:

I really do hope their next game is something more akin to Jak and Daxter. I doubt they'll follow this up with a 3LOU (although I don't know how this one ends and how open they've left it), and Uncharted is almost definitely over until they decide to make a soft reboot staring Daughter Drake. I feel like this is a good opportunity to make something a bit... Lighter?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Let Ellie kill the Norse gods instead of Kratos. She's earned it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bardeh posted:

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm so fuckin ready for 30fps to gently caress off. It sort of works in this game because the general vibe isn't that you should be able to 360noscope dudes from across the map so the shooting feeling clunky and awkward is kind of thematic, and the fact that the game looks as gorgeous as it does means that more than 30 was never, ever going to be possible and I appreciate the artistry and technical skill that has gone into every last facet of the game...but I pray to jeebus that devs at least give us the choice between 1440/60 or 4k/30 next gen.

I don't know if this is ever going to happen. Devs will always be encouraged to squeeze every drop of visual fidelity out of consoles, and unless the platform holder makes it mandatory the majority of devs will choose a prettier game over 60fps. It's so much easier to market gorgeous visuals to he regular game buying public.

If Sony said PS5 games needed to hit 60fps at 1440p at a minimum to pass cert then it'd solve the problem - but Sony wants games to look as good as physically possible on their platform.

There'd be about as much point comparing Cyberpunk to TLOU2 as there'd be comparing Witcher 3 to Uncharted 4.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are you meant to be able to kill shamblers stealthily? Or with them is it always 'go loud or sneak by unseen'? I haven't been able to kill one without alerting everything nearby so far (albeit I've only encountered a few).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darko posted:

I almost never kill in games if I get a choice, more rewarding that way. Even in Resident Evil, I leave everything alive that's not absolutely in the way. More fun to always have to dodge or worry about what I left standing around than clearing the screen*, for me at least.

*except Fultoning because then Im growing my army

How do u xp grind?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Some of the death screams are haunting and last ages if someone bleeds out. I've wasted a bullet putting a few out of their misery.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Love when you leave a stealth area and the cutscene shows Ellie carefully sneaking through the exit and quietly locking the door behind her as if everyone behind the door isn't already dead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok but can someone do it for real?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kill the dog first.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah they're basically the same as every other game with enemy dogs. There's a lot of them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

Man, gently caress Jim Sterling with a nail bat

"If you think The Last of Us 2 is great, wait until you read BOOKS!"

And then he says that literally no AAA game is even as good as Gremlins 2

God what a miserable loving oval office

These sound like jokes. Jim's great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Please say that was a typo. gently caress.

Guess I'm done with this thread until I finish.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

And he isn't joking, he spends 5 minutes talking about how games inherently can never be as good as film

That's very clearly not what he's actually saying though.

Escobarbarian posted:

fedora-rear end bitch

Lmao what?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Loving the Hotline Miami cameo in Day 2. :allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah this game is really pushing my limits in terms of scary poo poo. It's very good at ratcheting up the tension even when there are no enemies nearby. The hotel flashback in Day 2 was terrifying just because of how dark it was and how many little corners and doors there were.

When I got to the (I assume first or many) encounter with the stalkers in Day 2 I ended up just sprinting through the area making as much noise as possible to draw them all out just so I didn't have to deal with the fear being snuck up on by terror ghouls. Luckily they're pretty weak so a couple of molotovs took care of the whole pack.

I love the explosive arrows. Taking out a whole encounter's worth of dudes with one well placed shot was so satisfying. :allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I don't think movies is a helpful comparison in terms of narrative presentation. Most games are structured more like a season of a TV show - either a structured episodic story or a long winding serialised plot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mcbexx posted:

Literally the only thing that bothered me constantly:

With all the effort they put into the animations, it is kind of jarring that the only way to get off a small ledge is to run over the edge, have the character comically flail their arms and just fall down.

It's so bad and happens basically all the time.

Also during the few occasions where you can lower yourself off onto a rope, it's comically difficult (impossible?) to climb back up onto the ledge.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a really tiny detail that shouldn't bother me, but I keep noticing when the environment changes subtly to stop you from returning somewhere you've been before. Like, the dumpster you used to get over a wall vanishes or a pathway you used before is suddenly overgrown. These areas are completely deserted, how is this happening?

I'm actually sort of impressed but I wish I didn't notice it every time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

A PS5 version just running in its version of 'boost mode' would be helpful already just to maintain 30fps, there are a lot more sub-30fps drops later in the game on my Pro (which is basically new) than I would have expected. They're not crippling and not huge, but with all the rain/water levels there's a decent number of sustained high 20's action which is annoying.

I don't know if they could do native 4k + locked 60fps with the PS5 hardware (that would be 4X the rendering budget just to reach that with the same visuals), but I'd be shocked if it's not a locked 60fps with some intermediate res (1800p?) or checkerboarding. Upgraded shadow res would also help.

Yeah, I just got to the part at the start of Abby's section where you're being attacked by horsemen in the car and it's the first time so far I've really noticed dips. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays on PS5.

e: gently caress, sorry

stev fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 26, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smoobles posted:

Yeah the world is too far gone in the first game for a vaccine to make a difference IMO. poo poo's permanently hosed. At best, one gang of psychopaths would vaccine themselves and become slightly more powerful and get to do more rapes and pillages. That's the best case scenario if Joel hadn't acted.

Ehhh I don't know. poo poo might seem permenantly hosed but we've seen how communities can grow and thrive in the post apocalypse.

It might have just started with vaccinating the Fireflies and whatever little settlements they could find in the short term. But those settlements could thrive and grow without the threat of infection hanging over them. In 100 years a world where a vaccine exists is definitely better than one where it doesn't - even if it's just a few cities that are thriving.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nickmeister posted:

Haven't finished the game yet. I thought it was strange that the doggie didn't start going crazy and looking for the nearest adult when I sniped its handler with my arrow, considering how detailed the game seems to be.

The workbenches are funny to me. They are so neat and tidy, the only thing people left in good order when they piled junk in front of all conceivable doors and locked up the building.

I want Ellie to move back a few inches when she uses the workbenches so I can see how she converts barrels of random scrap metal and screws in to perfectly crafted gun mods.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

acksplode posted:

That side encounter during day 2 you know the one: a trip mine will kill that guy before he can sneak up on you :D

That's fantastic.

Honestly he gets you so suddenly I assumed he just spawned right on you. Do the characters actually open the door and walk up to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Macaluso posted:

Motion blur you can just turn off, which you should always do in every single game that has it

Holy poo poo thank you. I didn't realise that was an option, it so rarely is on consoles.