Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vikar Jerome posted:

This day3 bloater fight, on survivor, can eat my rear end. How in the gently caress. I have no molotovs, barely any ammo. 2 explosive arrows that seem to do jack poo poo and the constant never ending runners just make the whole thing too much.

Oh wow! I thought about doing a Survivor playthrough, because I found Hard to be too generous with the health packs (always leaving them behind.) I'm no video game wizard or nothin, I just like that nonstop feeling of struggling for supplies, because it should be a struggle in this world. Oh but anyway, there's only a single runner in that encounter on Hard, and I too had to blow my entire ammo reserve on that. Trip mines seemed strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

^^^^ E;FB

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

precision posted:

Question about the first time you meet (day 2)

the scars. is it possible to save the guy they're about to gut when you approach?

No -- I restarted that encounter a good chunk of times to optimize ammo/health lost, and started taking out the guy that kills him first. There's a unique animation where he struggles to get free in that case, but always ends up dead somehow. Maybe breaks his own neck while struggling or something.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Overlord K posted:

Also the fact I somehow missed like 15+ artifacts over the course the first few chapters blows my goddamn mind cause I thought I was really thorough.

Same here! I stumbled into the chapter breakdown menus when I was feeling about halfway through the game, and was surprised how many things I missed. And here I was, feeling like I had found some rare poo poo. I even got the strange artifact trophy!

RareAcumen posted:

All in all though, you can pet multiple dogs but for all this praise for their genius AI they still don't know how to stop drop and roll, so 6/10.

The AI for me ranges from standard fare to bullshit. I guess I don't like it 100% of the time, but it is what it is. I either find myself cheesing large encounters by filtering enemies down a dead end path one after another, or someone comes out of a god drat invisible enemy closet right behind me (OK I'm probably being flanked but a few of those times felt REALLY suspect)

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 25, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

redreader posted:

Ellie mocks people she kills, constantly? Like what does she say? I seem to have entirely forgotten that part.

She was already a foulmouthed little kid with an attitude before meeting Joel in TLOU1, and then he taught her how to kill everyone around her that wasn't explicitly friendly, for years. It sucks, but that's how she was raised -- everyone that isn't a friend is a fucker trying to kill her.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't know what I was expecting out of (mid-late game) Yara after successfully sneaking through the village without alerting nor killing any of her people. Next time it's gonna be a bloodbath.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I stayed up all night to complete the final few segments and thought this was a pretty great game. The story is gonna take another parse to digest since it kinda plays out like 3 or 4 seasons of a TV drama at rapid fire. Maybe too much jumping around in time, or maybe I just picked poor times to take breaks and resume the next day. I feel like it would've played out more thoroughly if I had the discipline to turn it off at each chapter title screen breakpoint, but who can stop there! I can't believe they kept what was possibly the shittiest supply-scavenging experience of 2013 intact, but that's the only pressing thing I can complain about, I think. Give me a loving radar for items or something. At least there were slightly fewer gently caress-you-empty drawers. The Guy Fieri cameo was excellent and sorely underutilized, but things were getting long in the tooth by that point. Great game.

enojy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 27, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Preview of what it could look like on PS5 if they did the most bare-bones upgrade possible.

Whoa! I had no idea that you can (presumably) just use R2 while you have someone in a chokehold to just fire your gun off in their face. Come to think of it, I also never thought of trying L2 to see if human shields are a thing in the game.

Also, Down + X to do a Resident Evil 180, which I don't think is ever tutorial-ized, thus I never got in the habit of using it.

smoobles posted:

There is an accessibility setting that lets you ping for supplies radar style I think, and another setting auto grabs poo poo when you walk past it.

Thank you!! All of this info will make my NG+ playthrough infinitely more enjoyable. I love the mechanics of the crafting system but loathe the way supply gathering is handled in TLOU.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 28, 2020

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ratbert90 posted:

Just finished the game.

Ellie should have died. She's a bloodthirsty animal who has put her friends in danger and gotten them killed on multiple occasions. I was honestly disappointed that naughty dog didn't have the guts to have Abby kill her. Also, Joel murdered hundreds of people and deserved to die as well. Abby showed incredible restraint.

Also; Santa Barbra, while I enjoyed the location felt quite tacked on and rushed.

Santa Barbara (and the game concluding there) felt very much like the ending to Breaking Bad. Felt very abrupt and out of place. Years later, I came around to it. Ellie and Abby have become two people with complete tunnel vision at the absolute end of their rope. Abby took her last and only lead towards a positive outcome and got kidnapped; Ellie followed her last and only lead to find Abby.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anti-Hero posted:

Ahhhh, yes. I was more thinking of her quest for vengeance against Joel. IIRC during her play through she never expresses any regret or contrition, or for that matter doesn’t even reflect on it. Mel and others make some offhand comments about their time in Jackson, but the groups focus is on present events. Owen’s disappearance, the impending attack on the Scars, etc.

Am I missing anything?

The way used dreams/nightmares as a plot device made me think Abby dealt with her demons during what culminated in those three days in Seattle. Abby starts off waking up from a mysterious dream that turns out to be a recurring nightmare of the day she found her father dead at the Fireflies hospital. She has that dream a few more times, until eventually (I think after she saved Yara's life?) it turns into the most ideal pleasant memory her brain can simply muster; her walking into the operating room to find her father alive and smiling at her. I like to think, in that moment, she has a revelation that it's much more rewarding to her psyche to be saving/preserving lives and forgiving transgressions. She does a 180 for just about everything else.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dewgy posted:

What? If you grab someone as a human shield, you can pull R2 to shoot them in the head, or hold L2 to aim at other enemies to then shoot them in the head.

To be fair, I had no idea you could do either of these things until I saw it done in a video clip after having beat the game! They never give you a prompt to do so, so I never thought to try it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Grem posted:

Stuff about gameplay after Day 3

Feels like I'm about finish the game, in the epilogue or whatever, and I agree with this 100%. Abby is voiced by my Saints Row 3 boss so I'm certainly not feeling bad for her situation. I was so convinced that she's a bad guy that when the dog gave me the toy to throw I immediately yeet it over the kennel yard and into the seats. "Sorry boy" indeed. Is this poo poo all about cyclical violence? Even the Wolves like the pregnant lady doesn't like her. I did like Lev and Yara's story though, I'm not all the way to the end but I bet the third game is gonna be Lev getting revenge on someone for something, then finding out that they're more alike than they could have imagined!

The Last of Us pt. Deux - When The Dog Gave Me The Toy To Throw I Immediately Yeet It Over The Kennel Yard And Into The Seats

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jetrauben posted:

Reading this kind of irritates me even as someone who isn't familiar with the game, because once you consider Druckmann was inspired by the real-life hellish cycle of vengeance and grief-stricken retaliation that is the Israel/Palestine conflict, this person's criticisms seem fundamentally naive.

""if realism is the goal, wouldn’t either Abby or Ellie stop, look at the pile of friends’ bodies, and say “enough”?"

No, actually, Ash, because it's totally realistic for them to say "no, I will not let these friends down, I will make them pay, I will become so strong that no one can ever hurt me again."

It's just a hot take on Kotaku. I wouldn't read too much into it. The first paragraph is the biggest reddest stop sign made of text I've ever seen. Some of her complaints strongly suggest she either paid little-to-no attention while playing, or didn't even really play it at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dewgy posted:

It's vaguely alluded to but I don't think it's ever like, confirmed. The "David's latest pet" and "you have no idea what I'm capable of" lines definitely go in that direction.

He's creepy as gently caress in any case though.

I had huge pedophile alarms going off in my head too. Perhaps too early, as I've been conditioned to see a large hulking adult male going after a young girl in the worst of lights. After (TLOU1 spoilers) Joel comes in to scoop Ellie up after she tenderizes his face with a butcher knife she says something like "he... he tried to..." and the world may never know how to complete that sentence. These people were killing people to eat them; I don't think pedophilia (or worse) is too taboo a bridge for them to cross at their level.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only video gamey suspension of disbelief that bugs me is that you can't fashion a melee weapon out of the glass bottles in an emergency, and that you only get like 5 or 6 swings max out of a machete. Come on. I get that the handle is probably all jigged with tape and whatnot, but you spend the entire game collecting tape. If you were sneaky enough, you should be able to complete the game with a single machete (some scripted encounters notwithstanding.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

talktapes posted:

Yes absolutely. The correct way to play that section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUccLQdrMJg

The little cutscene that follows matches and everything. I wanna do a more Solid Snake approved run next time. I tried often, but would almost always blow my cover at some point. Relied too much on cover and not enough on distractions.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Donovan Trip posted:

Just give people a separate achievement for beating new game + if it's just about having a made up goal to justify playing again

There sorta is -- I'm pretty sure you have to play through at least twice to gather enough upgrade materials to fully upgrade all weapons and player abilities (thus, those two trophies being necessary for the platinum trophy.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Flannelette posted:

The missing people are probably all clumping together in big underground piles or something

Rat King!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Donovan Trip posted:

Speaking of the loading screen, did I miss something the moths specifically reference in game, or is it just a "moths to the flame" metaphor for revenge

Could be that. I figured it was a carryover of a Fireflies reference, considering how integral they are to the events in this game. I remember some metaphorical blurbs of graffiti in the first game that talked of "looking for the light" and something about moths being attracted to light (and their insignia looking more moth-like than firefly-like.)