Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ham posted:

Finished day 1. Game great. Play on surivor.

Yeah popping around in day 1 on hard and the first couple of infected encounters have been easy. Thinking about bumping up the difficulty. Survivor is like the previous in that resources are more scarce and baddies do more damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm in late Day 2 and have run across several enemy encounters where the end is capped off by a door that you need to hold triangle down before squirting through, and then you are sealed off from the other side. I've fully cleared every single arena encounter of baddies in the hopes of snooping around for collectibles, but so far only find crafting supplies. Is it fair to say that if you sneak through those encounters I won't miss out on any weapons/training manuals/collectibles?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Just about at the end of TLOU2, and I'm definitely turning back around and hitting up NG+ to get the plat.

Is TLOU:R Factions still populated? That's the only thing keeping me from platting that one, and I'll make that my next project if it's still doable.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

This is the first time I've read reviews for a game in a while and man most of the ones for this have the point sailing blissfully right over the critics' heads. The Vice Magazine review claims that:

"Nobody ever reconsiders their quest for vengeance."

uhm

Ellie does, but do we ever have Abby reflect on hers? I just beat this the other day so my recollection may be flawed. Definitely lining up an NG+ play through.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Yes, Abby walks away after the theater.

Ahhhh, yes. I was more thinking of her quest for vengeance against Joel. IIRC during her play through she never expresses any regret or contrition, or for that matter doesn’t even reflect on it. Mel and others make some offhand comments about their time in Jackson, but the groups focus is on present events. Owen’s disappearance, the impending attack on the Scars, etc.

Am I missing anything?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

FiftySeven posted:

Regarding the Trans discussion around this game:

Is it ever said explicitly or actually in any fashion at all that the specific reason that Lev is being hunted is specifically because Lev is Transexual? I was kind of always under the impression that when Lev was chosen to be a child bride, rejected it and then shaved his head in tradition of the Seraphite warriors which was what he wanted to do. When Yara realised that Lev was trying to escape his assigned role, and had already taken what would be seen as drastic action, Yara immediately took action and they escaped. I just cant imagine the Lev has gone around explaining that he identifies as a boy and asked that everyone uses the correct name and pronouns. At that point, is it really fair to say that the Seraphites were specifically trans-phobic? I mean, I cant imagine it would be something that would fly in their society in general anyway, but I just kind of took it as a given that the people dead naming him were just using the only name that they knew him by.

It just seems odd to me that people would specifically call their behaviour out as transphobic when in reality, the reason that they were considered apostates and being hunted was actually because they rejected the cults teachings and you don't just get to walk away from the cult, especially when you have been singled out as a child bride for one of the village elders which is abhorrent enough by itself.

Is this correct or am I missing a ridiculously blatant bit of the story where this was spelled out?

Regarding Lev... the shaving of his head is in the tradition of Seraphite men. Women have that german/scandinavian head braid going on. So by shaving his head he declared that he is a man.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

factions when

I’m thinking of checking out TLoU factions to get that sweet plat and I’m intimidated by the time requirement.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
A head's up for folks looking to get all the collectibles without a guide. The enhanced listening mode is commonly touted as a means to get everything without said guide, but it will miss some collectibles. I'm working through NG+ where I got about 80% of the collectibles on my NG run, and after clearning Seattle Day 1 I went back to chapter select and saw I missed a couple after clearing the chapter methodically with the sonar.

Turns out, there are a pair of collectibles in "The Gate" in the section where you are introduced to the rope physics puzzles. Instead of throwing the extension cord over the fence once the generator is started, you can use it to climb to the top of the mobile trailer and find a sun chair with some supplies and collectibles strewn around. These items will not show up when using the sonar ping for some odd reason.

So FYI.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

Unrelated: I want to get the plat for this game, but I really don't want to play the whole first half again on NG+ to do it

At least the plat for this one doesn't require 40+ hours of multiplayer.

I rolled around and started an NG+ playthrough within a week of beating TLOU2 to chase the platinum. Best to get rolling with it while I have momentum.

I mentioned it way earlier in the thread, but if you still need to work on collectibles on your NG+ playthrough the sonar feature does a pretty good job of tagging them except for one.

Anti-Hero posted:

A head's up for folks looking to get all the collectibles without a guide. The enhanced listening mode is commonly touted as a means to get everything without said guide, but it will miss some collectibles. I'm working through NG+ where I got about 80% of the collectibles on my NG run, and after clearning Seattle Day 1 I went back to chapter select and saw I missed a couple after clearing the chapter methodically with the sonar.

Turns out, there are a pair of collectibles in "The Gate" in the section where you are introduced to the rope physics puzzles. Instead of throwing the extension cord over the fence once the generator is started, you can use it to climb to the top of the mobile trailer and find a sun chair with some supplies and collectibles strewn around. These items will not show up when using the sonar ping for some odd reason.

So FYI.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

I've decided I'm going to go for it, thankfully all the collectibles I'm missing are in the first half of the game anyway, so I figure I can just knock them all out on NG+ and not bother with chapter select.

I'm curious how long it'll take if I'm skipping all cutscenes and not bothering with unguided exploration, in addition to bumping the difficulty down to Very Light. I imagine it'll go fairly quickly.

For NG I completed it on survivor w/~80% of the collectibles found naturally, and it took 38 (!!) hours. On NG+ I'm, again, running survivor and am just finishing up Abby's segment, about to head to the Ellie boss fight and am at 24 hours. It's a drat long game, but I expect you'll save some time by playing on Very Light. Skipping cutscenes won't help much as they mask some insanely long loading times.

For example, I ran a chapter select for Ellie, Seattle Day 2 Hillcrest and I had to sit through 3 loading screens before I could even play.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

I finished my first playthrough at about 26 hours, and this time I only need to get far enough to get enough supplements/materials to finish off Abby's upgrades, which I don't think should take me too far into her section.

Yeah, I got Abby's upgrades done by I think the second chapter in Seattle Day 1. You'll buzz through it quick.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Having now beaten the game twice, I'm still not sure how I feel about the fact that Ellie never really being presented with a choice w.r.t. sacrificing herself is not addressed.

IIRC in TLOU1, Ellie is drowned and unconscious when the Fireflies find her and Joel, and remains so for the duration of the St. Mary's Hospital sequence; she comes to in the car after Joel commits his murder spree. The moral dilemmas of Joel and the Fireflies and how they handle her has been pretty well-tread in this thread, and I don't have much to add to that. But, it still bothers me that nowhere in the Joel & Ellie flashbacks in 2LOU is it outright addressed that she was never presented with a choice by the Fireflies, either. It's apparent from how upset she is with Joel that she would have sacrificed herself if the Fireflies had asked for consent (and Joel would have still done what he did) so it really doesn't matter in the end, but it still bothers me that it's just left hanging.

That's about the only real quibble I have with the game. KOTOR was the last game I can recall immediately turning around and starting a new game just to experience all the clues after learning the gameplay "twist", and now I just did that with 2LOU.

What a game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Abby's body is modeled off a competitive Crossfitter, so steroid use would be in line.

Something folks often don't realize is that juicing just doesn't make you big and swole overnight. All those huge, gross, modern bodybuilders still train ungodly amounts to attain their physiques. If Abby was on the juice, she's still putting in the work.

I think it's a cool little bit of world-building that Abby may-or-may-not juice, but unfortunately the fact that it's a buff woman is what's causing all the controversy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Steroids are something hospitals keep on hand, or at least medical supply outlets do, so if they control a hospital that’s one access point. But seriously Seattle is one of the largest major cities in the country and they can hand wave basically anything away with “we found it downtown”

I don't care to look, but I wouldn't be surprised if anabolic steroids have a reasonably long shelf life.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya I don't understand anyone who can sympathize with them. At least with the Bandits in Pittsburgh it was clear that their entire existence was robbing and murdering travelers and they didn't really create a society. The WLF are ostensibly "civilizers" but shoot any and all travelers on sight and are engaged in a war explicitly premised on genocide and land annexation.

Isn't that "shoot on sight" order recently enacted? At some point you'd think the WLF wasn't that way or they wouldn't have much for recruitment.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Well for one, letters and banners indicate that the Wolf utilized forced resettlement on people who weren't even their supporters or involved in the uprising against FEDRA and then shot anyone who didn't want to move. For another, a shoot on sight order anytime is never really a good sign. It's not like Scars wore anything other than their leather dusters.

Yeah no doubt. The WLF are not good and reading the notes during Ellie's playthrough is pretty unambiguous there.

The progression from FEDRA -> WLF is pretty much "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

fake edit: Why is it that some games come up with new names for real world US agencies? FEDRA is analogous to FEMA, and the latter name is used with impunity in, for example, Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 4, 2020

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’m glad for the new update and will try and save a third play through for the PS5.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

Have there been any hints about a potential "enhanced performance" update to get the game running at 60 FPS on the PS5?

Not that I'm aware of, but I would think the PS5 would at least smooth out some of the very minor performance hiccups I noticed (mostly around water).

I've platted the game over two playthroughs, both on Survivor, so I need a break and tying another playthrough to a calendar event works for me.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How do we know it’s 60FPS?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I hopped in to Factions last night for the first time, and can see what all the fuss was about. I’m horrible at it and constantly get dunked on by all the level 999s, but poo poo is exhilarating when you get a down or execution.

Since I’m just starting out I’m running the default “support” role and sticking close to teammates, but I still get greedy and try to get downs on my own and am punished for it accordingly.

How does the leveling up system work? Just keep playing and maintain your mini-game clan and stuff unlocks naturally?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

acksplode posted:

Yeah pretty much. You unlock stuff by collecting supplies (blue food can icon), and the more parts (mechanical junk icon) you earn during a match the more supplies you get at the end. Supplies also sustain your clan and prevent sickness and death. Optionally you can pick up supplies from the corpses of enemies you've downed or executed. But don't prioritize it over playing the objective, best way to get supplies is to win.

Cool! Kind of a bummer I’m trying this out so late, most matches are filled with lvl 999s and I’m constantly matched with people in Latin America (I’m in USA), though not sure if those kind of latencies have much effect given how slow paced the game is.

You folks are all based in Europe, right?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Try not supply raid unless you wanna go against shut-ins who've been playing factions since the ps3. I'm personally a fan of interrogation. The rounds can last a while and will help you get the things you need for wipe out events to keep your petri-dish alive so you can unlock the hats.

Latency has some effect, but it's certainly not as pronounced as it is in a sweaty-rear end fps. I'm in the US and have no issues playing with the UK goons on TLOUsdays.

Unless you have a group of 4 people, it's honestly better to risk doing solo than running against other parties where you're practically guaranteed to go up against a bunch of level 999 tryhards. I mean the 999 tryhards will still be there solo, but it's not nearly as nightmarish.

Unfortunately the two sessions I’ve played I couldn’t find a match for Interrogation or Survivors. Maybe this weekend they’ll be up.

Yah, I run no parties and have had some matches where I do ok (equal amounts of downs/executions to deaths) and then next round get obliterated when the 999s end up on the same team.

Would love to play with others if there is space and willingness. I love TLOU and it was my first PlayStation game since the PSX, so any excuse to play more of it is a-ok.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

acksplode posted:

I think the TLOUsers mix tilts toward EU but there's usually Americans playing. I'm on the west coast and I don't notice excessive latency when we get together.

If you have any interest at all then you should definitely show up, the more the merrier. At worst you can hang out and chat and watch veeg's stream until someone drops out. Drop your PSN ID here or PM it to a regular and we'll add you to the PSN group.

Perfect!

PSNID: DrunkenEngineer

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Word. Shot ya a friend request. Can't add you to the party otherwise because of privacy settings.

Sweet. Looking forward to getting stomped.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Man, I'm garbage at Factions.

Isn't there some sort of cheat/exploit involving shoulder switching? Because I swear I'm getting shot from behind cover constantly, from bad guys in front of me.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’m about to finish up my first 12 week Faction journey. I’ve not bought any of the DLC, though I’ve been owned plenty by the launcher and tac shotgun.

What DLC is worth investing in? My loadout has been the ultimate support dweeb - Crafter 3, First Aid 2, Collector 1, Revolver (empty longarm).

I’d actually like to start killing people, any suggestions for perks/weapons/DLC that I should take a look at?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Second chance is the perk that got me interested in the DLC, actually.

Yup, revolver does pretty well. The semi-auto and burst rifle seem ok, with the latter having a high skill ceiling.

Playing has also made me pay attention to how I hold the controller. “Claw” seems to be the only way to be able to move AND switch weapons on the fly, so I’m trying to get better at that. Main issue has lately been fumbling around to switch to a throwable and get caught with my pants down when I take my thumb off the left stick and on to the d-pad.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’ll probably dip into the DLC packs once soon when I switched Factions.

I played around with a decent loadout last night.

Semi-Auto
9MM
Sharpshooter 3
Reviver 2
First Aid 1
Explosion 1 (would swap out for Second Chance if owned)

I had a Week 11 wipeout even I selected “downs” for my mission and got all 3 tiers in the first interrogation match (which is pretty much all I play now). It’s fun getting kills and having some modicum of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Such a bummer I’m in the complete wrong time zone to participate, but I enjoy reading the group chat!