Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
The nicest story I ever heard about animal research was told to me by a transplant surgeon in the UK. Back in the 80s he worked in Winsconsin researching organ preservation fluid. Part of that research involved transplanting livers in dogs. I'm not sure if they would of got away with that nowadays but it was ethical back then. He performed quite a few dog liver transplants and the research was successful. The preservation fluid UW ( University of Winsconsin ) is still used today.

At the end of the research he was meant to euthanise all of the dogs but there was one dog he just could not bring himself to kill. So he took it home and it became a pet. He even brought it back to the UK, where it lived to be 10 years old and remained a Good Dog all its life. He did say that the dogs first visit to the vets ended up in quite an interesting conversation being had.

Edit- I've just thought about all the dog liver donors and their certain death and does one act of sympathy because one dog is cute make up for it? Even transplanting organs in the healthy and rich part of the world seems a bit wrong when half a million children die from diarrhea every year.

Dogatron fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU