Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

tuyop posted:

Did we ever settle on a goon discord? What’s wrong with the GDN again?

I'm still running the one at https://discord.gg/CQnqXZu for now. It has GDN so that people can join without me having to give them roles, but I've restricted the bot so it can only see the auth channel because I know some people are uncomfortable using it. You can just ping me when you join instead of using the bot if you don't want to interact with it, just there might be a delay then if I'm not around. As I said before I don't really want to run a discord but I do want to the play the game and I haven't seen any others linked, so if there's another one that works better I'm more than happy to move over. If not and we get a bunch of people going I'll work out something with mods/whatever. We have 10 people on at the moment, but yeah the timezones are bit spread out.

We did get a 3 player game going yesterday which was good fun, upgraded from Dugong to Humpback after a few missions circling around a dead end on the map, then had a pretty stressful last mission where we just barely escaped a Thalamus and a reactor explosion but somehow made it back to port!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm in the Middle East atm, I'd be down to play with any Euro goons, I don't think ping would let me play with US goons. I'm relatively new to the game, I know the core mechanics well as I was playing this way back when it was f2p 2-3 years ago (or more). I'd prefer playing with newbies as we'd get to experience all the new content together. Was thinking of doing a campaign and working our way up the subs and restocking at outposts.

A five man team would be a decent size for us to handle all the subs in the game.

Kalimar
Mar 20, 2006

I joined the Discord (hoobastank#4490) and I'm EST.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Kalimar posted:

I joined the Discord (hoobastank#4490) and I'm EST.

I can't seem to give you a role for some reason, can you try rejoining?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Had a great game yesterday with Scikar and some folks. They tolerated my forgetfulness around the air lock at first, and my deconstruction of boxes at odd hours. We do have like three crates of lead and rubber hanging around in that sub now but you never know when they'll be needed! The sub also has a water feature based on the sounds it makes, which is lovely.

I also harpoon'd so many creatures and got my bum bitten a few times. And we bought a bot named McKinley who constantly patched up our unreliable faulty soviet wiring, then suffocated in a suit while we all ignored him. RIP McKinley you will be replaced.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Joined the discord as Sab, I got gifted the game today and literally just finished the tutorials before finding the thread. Gonna try and brave some pubbies and see how insufferable the community is (which, really, just means less cooperation and more loving with pubbies), but I'm down to play with Goons if anyone's ever interested.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Qubee posted:

I'm in the Middle East atm, I'd be down to play with any Euro goons, I don't think ping would let me play with US goons. I'm relatively new to the game, I know the core mechanics well as I was playing this way back when it was f2p 2-3 years ago (or more). I'd prefer playing with newbies as we'd get to experience all the new content together. Was thinking of doing a campaign and working our way up the subs and restocking at outposts.

A five man team would be a decent size for us to handle all the subs in the game.

IMHO, horrible lag is part of the fun and the experience.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its funny how much more dangerous the submarines become when they are not under attack

E: last night i was doing a little final checklist before we left outpost (as engineer) and i accidentally clicked on the mission objective box, which was a ton of c4. my literal last words as an alive player that match were "hey is that a timer? oh shi"

e2: im not mad that my submarine got blown up by a traitor, but im fuckin mad as gently caress that anybody had the satisfaction of watchiing a box full of c4 on a timer explode literally the moment i decide to inspect it

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2020

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Statutory Ape posted:

E: last night i was doing a little final checklist before we left outpost (as engineer) and i accidentally clicked on the mission objective box, which was a ton of c4. my literal last words as an alive player that match were "hey is that a timer? oh shi"

e2: im not mad that my submarine got blown up by a traitor, but im fuckin mad as gently caress that anybody had the satisfaction of watchiing a box full of c4 on a timer explode literally the moment i decide to inspect it

I'm not mad that happened. In fact, I am extremely happy because that's loving hilarious.

I showed my buddy who prompted me to get it in the first place the ropes last night. It was just the 2 of us, so I tossed in 2 bots thinking it would make it smoother. We ran 3 missions and within 5 minutes of leaving the station each time both bots were loving dead.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bots are a great way to focus the crews fuckery on something besides the hull or reactor

E: also our doctor gets really offended when he has to waste medical equipment on non-work related injuries lmao

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah we bought a bot in one game just to maintain the loving junction boxes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/TwrkrIk.mp4

i also re-created the scene in star trek where you have to have 2 people rig a torpedo and manually fire it

Worf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 10, 2020

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
how many people do you need for this? is it playable with just a small handful of friends or do you need like a dozen guys to get the most of this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

warhammer651 posted:

how many people do you need for this? is it playable with just a small handful of friends or do you need like a dozen guys to get the most of this?

It's great with as few as three, five seems to be a bit of a sweet spot.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Just picked up this game recently with RL friends! Joined the discord as Shadsticle.

So far my favourite role is engineer though the reactor keeps exploding and I'm not sure if it's cos other crew members are loving with it or I'm just really bad. Probably both.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my doctor (rightfully) complained about people stealing his meds, so we've increased his security

https://i.imgur.com/V6rupni.mp4

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What happens after the fire?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

tuyop posted:

after the fire?

In my experience, you end up back at the last Station you visited.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tbh I designed that compartment to initially flood and kill the person that way but it offered too much time to escape.

My ship is highly compartmentalized and the next room may just have two pumps in it as well.

It's less destructive than the indoor coilgun

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I was playing in a 4 man game with just my friends, no antags in campaign mode, and I found a clown horn that I grabbed as the nuclear engineer. I used it, and liked it, but the security officer demanded I hand it over the moment he heard it. I refused, so he stunned me and took it. I asked for it back, but he refused. That's when I attacked him with a wrench and screwdriver and continued to do so until he shot and killed me, so the remaining 3 had to go an entire round without me, making it much more challenging since there was?no one else with the skills to fix the ship.

When I respawned at the end of the round, when the ship docked, again I asked for the clown horn. He said no, so I attacked him on the station, but I positioned myself near the AI security so when he attacked me with a stun baton he would also hit the AI. Of course he did, and so the security AI and I chased him all the way to the sub. He eventually killed me, but then died due to his wounds from myself and the AI. With half the ship's crew dead, and it being late at night, the person running the server shut it down since he didn't see a resolution to the conflict coming soon.

A couple days later it was a 6 friend game this time, on a custom submarine made by the combined efforts of two of the most talented among us. It was still campaign with no antag. A clown horn had been placed on the sub just for me in a secret area. I grabbed it, and went about my business and bode my time to use it. The security officer still hated clowns, but I didn't want to repeat what happened last time.

So, during combat when the security officer was manning the guns, I would go to the command area which was positioned right above the guns and honk the horn. Every time the security officer would yell over comms or just grumble, and between combat do witch hunts and question everyone. At one point I got knocked out, but had stashed the horn so when he searched me he didn't find anything. The honking continued, and even if he jumped off the guns as soon as he heard the horn, I would already be at the reactor with the horn stashed somewhere else.

After a couple rounds of this, with him getting increasingly agitated, I finally slipped up. The ship has a kind of horshoe path around it. The medical room is at one end, and next to it are the ballast tanks at the other end of the horseshoe. So while the security officer was at medical, and I was in the ballasts, I started aggressively honking. After 15 seconds of this, I decided to exit the ballasts, when I see him standing in my way holding a stun baton, not making a single sound. He said very calmy to hand over the horn, which I refused. So he just stunned me and took it. A few moments later we docked at the station.

At the station, I said it he doesn't give me back my horn, I am going to attempt to melee him to death the entire round, which would be very unfortunate for the crew since we'll be a man short. He says "Alright alright, but on one condition. You don't honk it where I can hear it. If I hear you honk that horn, I will shoot you. Got it?" I said "Got it." He drops the horn on the ground, I pick it up, and honk it in his face. He then proceeds to shoot me with a stun grenade, injuring both me and myself.

At that point I had enough fun with the clown horn, and promptly stuffed it in a locker after being treated in medical and haven't used it since.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the only problems I have with this game is that there's not a lot to do in the moment to moment beyond making your own fun with your pals and when something does happen it's hard to figure out what is happening

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
What's the traitor mechanic like?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Statutory Ape posted:

Tbh I designed that compartment to initially flood and kill the person that way but it offered too much time to escape.

My ship is highly compartmentalized and the next room may just have two pumps in it as well.

It's less destructive than the indoor coilgun

You can do some pretty nifty things with rudimentary use of the game's programming logic to make stuff like that work. For instance, you could use a combination of NOT and AND components to make it so engaging the security system also locked the door shut and trapped the interloper.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Voyager I posted:

You can do some pretty nifty things with rudimentary use of the game's programming logic to make stuff like that work. For instance, you could use a combination of NOT and AND components to make it so engaging the security system also locked the door shut and trapped the interloper.

i could do that except i have multiple systems set up that use portions but not the entirety of the same mechanisms. the entire ship is rigged with a variety of controllables, including but not limited to cutting o2 to various parts of the ship etc.

also i made a prototype v2 of that ship with the saucer section fully detachable and pilotable

also having the stuff be multi stage allows for way funnier things, like the people not even realizing whats happening and watching the rest of the crew amble over to inspect the blast door thats mysteriously trapped the doctor in sickbae

tbh most of the time the crew is at each others necks so it was p heart warming to see them all come together collectively to try and figure out wtf befell the doctor

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 11, 2020

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
This game is very fun online and with friends. I wish it was better documented.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Grabbed this on the 50% off sale with a few friends to do the campaign play and it's great, I'm impressed as hell. There's an immensely satisfying difficulty curve, where the fun initially comes from scrambling around flailing to save your doomed vessel, and progresses to greater and greater levels of not-loving-up that still gets spicy even when you know what you're doing. Not sure I'd enjoy it solo, although some people seem to really get a kick out of that, but boy is it great as a 3-5 player co-op experience.

Also, mods! Our group is running GunLights, Meaningful Upgrades, Into the Abyss, and EK Armory, which adds some nice additional - heh - depth to what's already there. Any others we should be on the lookout for?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What timezone are you guys on, and would you accept a random to join? I've given pubbie servers a go but it's always a shitshow: either the server admin treats it as his personal playground, or his cronies are able to get away with RDMing and nothing prevents it.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I wanted to share with you a concept I've been working on since the current build was in the beta branch..

As you know they recently added the ability to purchase new subs mid-campaign. They also added the ability to "upgrade" your sub. However, I felt that neither of these things really achieved the sense of "progression" that I think really suited this game. I really wanted to start the game with a barely-working submarine, and incrementally improve it as the game goes on by adding new parts and weapons. This functionality isn't possible in the way that I think most people would like, so what I did was created a submarine that represents 5 different stages of progression. I have tested it with a few friends and have gotten a lot of positive feedback from it.

I think you all will really enjoy it. Please check it out here!

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2194720815

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Hey guys, I wanted to share with you a concept I've been working on since the current build was in the beta branch..

As you know they recently added the ability to purchase new subs mid-campaign. They also added the ability to "upgrade" your sub. However, I felt that neither of these things really achieved the sense of "progression" that I think really suited this game. I really wanted to start the game with a barely-working submarine, and incrementally improve it as the game goes on by adding new parts and weapons. This functionality isn't possible in the way that I think most people would like, so what I did was created a submarine that represents 5 different stages of progression. I have tested it with a few friends and have gotten a lot of positive feedback from it.

I think you all will really enjoy it. Please check it out here!

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2194720815

Extremely cool and good idea, after a few plays this kind of thing is exactly what the game lacks in its current state.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Makes me realise just how cool it would be to have the ability to actually add to submarines in-game. Make a pitstop at a station and have mechanics actively build new sections of hull, add weaponry, etc, and engineers wire it all up. Would probably only suit hardcore servers though.

Being able to test the new additions and realise that someone forgot to wire up a system properly and having to fix it insitu.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I clicked on the discord invite and it's expired. Can I get an invite posted here or PM'd to me please?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Qubee posted:

Makes me realise just how cool it would be to have the ability to actually add to submarines in-game. Make a pitstop at a station and have mechanics actively build new sections of hull, add weaponry, etc, and engineers wire it all up. Would probably only suit hardcore servers though.

Being able to test the new additions and realise that someone forgot to wire up a system properly and having to fix it insitu.

Definitely something that feels missing for the moment is being able to install new appliances like recycler or even just storage units outside of the sub editor during campaign.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I tried to bake in some of my own forms of progression too. Some of the things I did

1. I'd add things like a recycler or whatever to the ship, but i'd counter-act it by making them requiring re-wiring etc in game
2. We added in tons of weapon and equipment mods- These are purchasable at bases so I would dole them out as 'quest rewards' for good performing crew members. Crewmate displays good fortitude and ship-mindfulness during a fight? well hell yea i'll upgrade your suit of armor to have flashlights and whatnot
3. Controlling controllables: generally keeping equipment sparse, or even designing the ship to be more difficult to operate. As another example one of my ships was designed to be a shoddily put together former research vessel with pirates strapping guns to it. as a result, while the ship DOES have a rail gun with great firing arc, heres some of things required to fire it:

A) there are no shells that the ship starts with in inventory
B) the static buttons and emplacements are there, but they are not wired correctly
C) as it stands the gun requires two people to operate because there is no linkage from the aiming mechanism to fire.
D the firing mechanism and loader for the gun are in the bilge. it must be crouched to access. basically ripped the torpedo surgery scene from star trek 6 or whatever
E) there is a crafter/combiner/whatever station on the ship, and i have placed various materials throughout the ship. theres enough for one rail gun slug and i believe also if people start to play some of the hidden-panel-clicky games i've made, they might even just find the stuff to make a nuclear rail gun warhead. however it will require the skills of two different classes to assemble that one.

anyway, most of the advanced functions in a ship that you'd naturally want to be 'unlocked', i found just being crafty and making in-game reasons as to why those systems would be difficult to use was just as effective. also you're crafting a pretty solid game experience at that point as your blind triggerman relies on the go-word from the person on the periscope to your home-made one-shot-only nuke

ship editor was a great fuckin time in that game.

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 18, 2020

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

redreader posted:

I clicked on the discord invite and it's expired. Can I get an invite posted here or PM'd to me please?

Sorry about that, Discord says it's indefinite but it doesn't seem to always work. Here's a fresh Discord invite link, for anyone still having trouble: https://discord.gg/xZGcCUj

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
Game is 50% off on steam and seems cool and good, anyone want to play?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Reporting in from a goon discord (Co-op Goons run by Discendo Vox)! We've been playing with a 5-6 man crew in a campaign regularly recently and been having an absolute blast. This game is pretty drat good.

If anyone is interested in joining I'm more than happy to drop an invite link, we usually play around 3 pm EST and go for about three hours.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dunno how regularly I could commit to that, but I'm definitely interested to give it a go. Played with friends a few times, but none of us really knew what we were doing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hauki posted:

Dunno how regularly I could commit to that, but I'm definitely interested to give it a go. Played with friends a few times, but none of us really knew what we were doing.

The good news is you don't have to be there every time, as long as your character doesn't die you keep any skill levels you gain! Feel free to hop in the Co-op discord and get verified, other co-op goon games happen here too. Once you're in and verified type !lfb somewhere to get the role so you get pinged when we start up a round.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

it is pretty amazing how quickly poo poo can go south even on easy mode. It's a great game.

Join the discord and play with some goons who may or may not end up accidentally killing you. I've only killed the entire crew once myself so I feel like I've got a pretty good track record.
It was just a silly misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damone
May 3, 2009
Definitely did not have a single unattended mud raptor and husk absolutely wreck our sub. Nope. That did not happen. (In this timeline)