Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How far into the campaign are you guys, or does it not really matter? The thought of joining a fresh campaign where we slowly kit out our submarine would be fun to join, but hopping in on a fully decked out sub doesn't have the same appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Qubee posted:

How far into the campaign are you guys, or does it not really matter? The thought of joining a fresh campaign where we slowly kit out our submarine would be fun to join, but hopping in on a fully decked out sub doesn't have the same appeal.

We haven't actually gotten any further than the first three-ish cities and the most dangerous thing we've encountered (and it was for a mission) has been a hammerhead. A single hammerhead, that instantly penetrated the bottom of our sub before getting railgunned. So not very far at all! It does matter how deep you go, which is where the more dangerous stuff starts to appear and frankly even the basic stuff causes us issues sometimes still cause poo poo can get overwhelming real quick.

The important thing to note in campaign is while you can upgrade the sub you're in (better efficiency for various systems, tougher hull, etc), you can't actually modify them in any way to add new systems or stations. Instead, you can buy an entirely different sub from a list that get very expensive and can be much larger. They require a bigger crew to man comfortably, and of course each sub requires its own separate upgrades. The big thing is to try and find a sub you're comfortable with and then start upgrading the hull so it can dive deeper towards the core.

Basically just hop in and see how it goes! Learning the basics ain't too bad, don't be scared to get your feet wet. :getin:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Qubee posted:

We aren't too far I'd say? I don't feel like the upgrades we have are so far really groundbreaking either. But we did spend a lot or mk. on a space submarine big rig that no one wants to play because turns out it's only good for transport, salvage and mining and has only one gun in a bad ish spot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll definitely join you all one of these days, but 3pm EST is 11pm in whatever timezone I'm in.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Qubee posted:

I'll definitely join you all one of these days, but 3pm EST is 11pm in whatever timezone I'm in.

I reckon we can poke the crew and see if we can't start a bit earlier than 3 occasionally if you aren't up to staying awake super late! If you aren't in co-op goon discord yet see that link from one of my previous posts and see you on the sub!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I love this game but I've never been able to commit to a crew. I am bad at multiplayer gaming :(

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

I reckon we can poke the crew and see if we can't start a bit earlier than 3 occasionally if you aren't up to staying awake super late! If you aren't in co-op goon discord yet see that link from one of my previous posts and see you on the sub!

Don't worry about shifting starting times around, I'm busy for the next couple of weeks anyway with job interviewing and exam taking. Fingers crossed once I'm done with real life stuff all of you won't be burnt out on submariner shenanigans.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Goonspeed with interviews and exams! Still recommend joining the discord as I post clips of silly and ridiculous poo poo that happens.

tuyop posted:

I love this game but I've never been able to commit to a crew. I am bad at multiplayer gaming :(

We're all bad if it makes you feel more comfortable joining us.

I'm currently stuck on mobile but if you aren't up to joining I'll totally type up some of our stories later! We don't have too many at the moment but that'll def get larger.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I would be up for starting the sessions earlier since I went to bed at like 1 or 2 am last time :D

Qubee
May 31, 2013

There might be a big uptick of new players, some big streamers were playing this game. Might attract a whole host of newbies.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Our campaign on the co-op goons discord is till pretty much in the beginning stages, slowly moving into more difficult waters now. So if you want to join but not have a trial by fire, you're good to go with us. I throw out role alerts a few hours beforehand whenever I feel like playing and any one else is welcome to do so as well, of course.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Damone posted:

Our campaign on the co-op goons discord is till pretty much in the beginning stages, slowly moving into more difficult waters now. So if you want to join but not have a trial by fire, you're good to go with us. I throw out role alerts a few hours beforehand whenever I feel like playing and any one else is welcome to do so as well, of course.

I've been thinking about getting this. is it Husks in your house?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Damone posted:

Haven't played for a bit, but I'm pretty keen on hopping back in sometime soon. Just noticed at some point I left the co-op server, so I'll hop back in and grab the role and check it out.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bit late but just wanted to post that the Barotrauma just got a big-ish new update! Creepier caves! Stacking items! Sub upgrades persist when swapping in campaign! Sweet new item graphics! You can sleep in beds and it actually does something! A metric boatload of bug fixes! Here's the full patch notes if you're interested in checking it yourself.

We're starting up a new campaign on a custom scout sub made by Damone if any new players want to join in, don't be shy! Feel free to join the co-op goon server, once you authenticate you can type !lfb to get the role and get pinged when we do game calls.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Are you all running any goonmods I should familiarize myself with before hopping on?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Roumba posted:

Are you all running any goonmods I should familiarize myself with before hopping on?

Other than Damones custom sub it's all vanilla.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

And the custom sub can be downloaded in game when you join the server, so it's just a vanilla game. We haven't even hit 20%+ depths yet so we don't even know how crazy it can get in the deepest parts.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

man this game is great and ive been looking for a reason to get back into it since they added the caves. What time are you guys trying to play your campaign?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

man this game is great and ive been looking for a reason to get back into it since they added the caves. What time are you guys trying to play your campaign?

We generally play on Friday/Sunday around 2-3 pm EST. We've got some euro goons so typically it's the earlier the better for them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pardon the double post but if you were ever interested in trying out Barotrauma but didn't want to drop the money on it, guess what?

Barotrauma is free to play for 48 hours starting today! Ends on Thursday March 25th at 1:30pm EDT.

Grab some friends or join goons and give the submarine life a try!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The game is great, especially if you find a server where people are just the right amount of high/unhinged to perfectly mesh with how serious you feel like playing that day, leaving you with a sub-story to remember and share.

I also love how you can join modded games and subs on a whim because the game will auto-subscribe and enable them as needed.

100% recommend.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

I already have the game, but haven't played much yet. It sounds like this would be a good time to try and get into it again, if anyone's planning a round. Already joined the co-op Discord, I show up as neon flame on there.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

this is a really fun game. the sub editor is fun too. i made a knockoff enterprise from star trek, it even had a saucer section that detached for away missions or what have u

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Evil Kit posted:

Bit late but just wanted to post that the Barotrauma just got a big-ish new update! Creepier caves! Stacking items! Sub upgrades persist when swapping in campaign! Sweet new item graphics! You can sleep in beds and it actually does something! A metric boatload of bug fixes! Here's the full patch notes if you're interested in checking it yourself.

We're starting up a new campaign on a custom scout sub made by Damone if any new players want to join in, don't be shy! Feel free to join the co-op goon server, once you authenticate you can type !lfb to get the role and get pinged when we do game calls.

got a friend to play for the free days and goodness this update owns.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ruzihm posted:

got a friend to play for the free days and goodness this update owns.

It really does. So much loving easier to keep things organized. If ya ever want to haul friend along and join us don't be afraid too pop in. My dream is we eventually get a huge rear end crew for one of the bigger subs to go giving in deep depths with.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Had a fun game with everyone tonight! They are new player friendly, and the custom sub is impressive. Spent most of the round slamming doors on my face because I'm not used to them being automatic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys still playing this? I'd love to play with a larger crew.

Do you organize via Discord?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evil Kit posted:

Mans posted:

You guys still playing this? I'd love to play with a larger crew.

Do you organize via Discord?

Click that hyperlink to join us in the Co-op Goon discord. Once you authenticate just type !lfb in a text chat channel to get the role and keep an ear out for when we organize games. We generally play once or twice a week.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How the gently caress do I manually control the reactor without it exploding

In a Dugong, for reference

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gort posted:

How the gently caress do I manually control the reactor without it exploding

In a Dugong, for reference

Generally speaking unless you're in a high power draw combat situation you don't need to manually control it. If you have 30+ electrical skill you can just slap it on automatic and it'll be just fine, anything lower than that and the auto control will struggle a bit to regulate power with just a single Uranium Rod. It is also incredibly important to mention you hardly ever need or want any more than one fuel rod in the reactor. Some of the bigger subs need two rods for adequate power in normal and high stress situations though. Never put two Fulgarium Rods into a reactor unless you wanted to send it into meltdown immediately no matter what you do.

In terms of actual manual control. Generally you manipulate the slider under the left gauge until the needle is just slightly into the green part of the meter, then actively fiddle with the slider under the right gauge to keep the needle in the green zone on that side. Keep an eye on the heat meter on the far right and if that starts constantly blaring an alarm at you you need to move the slider under the left meter back to the left until it stops generating too much heat.

But really, you will hardly ever need to manually control the reactor. The person with the highest electrical skill should be one the to set the reactor to auto.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

in my experience of playing many hours almost exclusively as engineer, the only real legitimate thing you might bother trying to get good at doing with the reactor:

you can start it up and get it to full power slightly faster than automatic can by manually controlling it. sometimes the extra time might save you from scraping the bottom or help your captain execute something.

more often than not tho for most voyages, touching the reactor is best left to fools or saboteurs

if you regularly play a game/games where you have significant scarcity of fuel etc, you can manually sit there and micromanage better and youll theoretically be able to prevent brownouts and be more fuel efficient. idk that its almost ever worth it compared to doing other tasks on the ship. otoh we usually run with max of 5 people, so if you had a bigger crew :shrug:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

For those interested in campaign mode, this Barotrauma save decompressor may be of interest. I've used it to hack in hull upgrades to save a death loop after swapping to an underequipped sub mid campaign, and I've even used it to modify a sub mid-campaign! The save state of each sub you own is a deep copy of the file used in the sub editor, so you can pop the sub file of interest into the sub editor directory, make your edits there and save them, then put it back into your save file and compress it back.

Neat stuff.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

For those interested in campaign mode, this Barotrauma save decompressor may be of interest. I've used it to hack in hull upgrades to save a death loop after swapping to an underequipped sub mid campaign, and I've even used it to modify a sub mid-campaign! The save state of each sub you own is a deep copy of the file used in the sub editor, so you can pop the sub file of interest into the sub editor directory, make your edits there and save them, then put it back into your save file and compress it back.

Neat stuff.

Oooh, thank you for this. This'll be handy.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm new to this game and looking to play online. How do I find crews to coordinate with?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evil Kit posted:

The good news is you don't have to be there every time, as long as your character doesn't die you keep any skill levels you gain! Feel free to hop in the Co-op discord and get verified, other co-op goon games happen here too. Once you're in and verified type !lfb somewhere to get the role so you get pinged when we start up a round.

Click the link in my quote above, we regularly play our campaign on the weekends around 3 est / 9 cest. Don't be afraid to jump in!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/00gh30M.mp4

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
lol I wish I still had my video of me successfully putting out this massive fire in a reactor room from a hole I cut in the ceiling. But, just before I've got it all, a monster smacks the boat which launches me headfirst into the flames and my oxygen explodes mid-scream.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have nearly completed a submarine designed for a Role-Play - mining/salvage/transport/hijacking pirate sub campaign. I run with a few mods that add fun items and allow for some cooler ship building freedoms, as well as more content to salvage and fight.

I'm looking for some people to test the sub with before I put the final touches on. My friends have been instrumental in helping with this but it helps to have people that aren't already used to my design conventions take a look at it.

Also eventually when I start the campaign I could use some crew that is interested in going around and salvaging and crafting and whatnot. Combat and fuckery as well, of course.

The ship is designed to accommodate both the mission role and goofing off pretty well. It has 3 shuttles. One totally unmanned for assisting in combat, one as an escape pod that will most likely kill its inhabitants, and the other is a tiny little cargo hauler UAV that is remote controlled but, and i tested to make sure, you can absolutely stuff a person in there for a free ride to and from a salvage site. Barely. I think you have to hold spacebar to fit inside but it works.

The mods I have allow us to modify the ship decently well during the middle of a campaign to address any needs too, all via in game crafting or vendors. The ship is pretty tightly woven but I've made sure there are a couple of modular spaces for people to make our own as needs develop.

Best way to hit me up is discord probably, #SHART4991. I do have PMs and this thread is bookmarked as well, altho I do not usually notice PMs for awhile.

I think the ship caters to all play styles tbh. If you love the idea of salvage but hate leaving the submarine, staying on the submarine and remote controlling the cargo salvage UAV thing is gonna be hugely helpful and necessary. If you like sorting inventory for some reason, a trusted quartermaster that knew how to use a welder would be a dream come true...

E; you can honestly just come and play the harmonica and tell stories as long as you dont blow up the drat ship

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 9, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Sure, testing silly subs is always fun. Hit up the co-op discord and a few of us will probably join in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Big new update dropped, revamped alien ruins and added a TON of features, including talent trees for every job and a genetics system ala SS13.

You can, for instance, have mudraptor beak on your face that allows you to peck others. It is comedy gold.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/906673528001159209/I_heard_violence.mp4

Every major update keeps adding more and more cool poo poo to this game, it's getting kind of nuts.