Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Part of the problem with the TIE bomber is that overcharging on the Y-Wing takes 15 years, because they rightly realised that overcharged rotary is ridiculous, but the bomber can just get full laser overcharge every 3 seconds by dumping boost.

This wouldn't be a problem if ships had different boost capacity and a full TIE bomber boost bar only equated to about 10-15% laser overcharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ffs. Yavin dogfight 3 times in a row :negative:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how does dumping the boost into weapons overcharge work? I've tried switching power from engines into weapons when I had boost but I can't tell if it's any faster than usual

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

uXs posted:

I did the same. I do miss being able to go 6/6/0 (or any permutation of that) though.

What would be a good ship and loadout for the rebels to go after subsystems? As the empire I just take a bomber and go ham with the rotary cannon.

A few games ago I think I saw someone do this with an X-Wing but I don't know how he configured it.

i almost always use the xwing for fleet battles. My setup is the burst cannon (not the plasburst), SLAM engines, reflec hull, resonant shield, ion missiles, and barrage missiles. I use this setup to snipe specific subsystems. Whenever I spawn in on the attack, i just fly up to the top of the map. As long as im at least 1500m away from the nearest enemy, im basically invisible. I then fly over to the ISD. Make sure you are at the top of the map for this, if you are getting shot by the ISD when you over it, you are too close.

Once over the ISD, I make sure all my subsystems are overcharged, which is easy to do with res shields and SLAM engines. I then boost down to the subsystem i want to destroy and park myself under the shields and let loose with the barrage. 90% of the time I will destroy what I'm targeting. The only way to stop this is for the enemy to be aware enough of their subsystems. The ion missiles are solely for tie bombers

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how does dumping the boost into weapons overcharge work? I've tried switching power from engines into weapons when I had boost but I can't tell if it's any faster than usual

You use power shunting, which is by default bound to the same controls as shield angling. This is completely separate from power management.

All you do is max engine power (to generate boost) and then shunt to weapons, which turns the boost bar into the equivalent laser overcharge bar.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i almost always use the xwing for fleet battles. My setup is the burst cannon (not the plasburst), SLAM engines, reflec hull, resonant shield, ion missiles, and barrage missiles. I use this setup to snipe specific subsystems. Whenever I spawn in on the attack, i just fly up to the top of the map. As long as im at least 1500m away from the nearest enemy, im basically invisible. I then fly over to the ISD. Make sure you are at the top of the map for this, if you are getting shot by the ISD when you over it, you are too close.

Once over the ISD, I make sure all my subsystems are overcharged, which is easy to do with res shields and SLAM engines. I then boost down to the subsystem i want to destroy and park myself under the shields and let loose with the barrage. 90% of the time I will destroy what I'm targeting. The only way to stop this is for the enemy to be aware enough of their subsystems. The ion missiles are solely for tie bombers

Cool I'll try that thanks.

What do you during the other phases?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

uXs posted:

Cool I'll try that thanks.

What do you during the other phases?

well, since I still have my ions and barrage missiles, I usually just plaster the other team. Stealth body makes it really easy to pick my engagements and get the drop on other pilots. I always try to prioritize tie bombers during defense and ping them for my team

*edit* barrage missiles and ions are also great at attacking the raiders and frigates. This setup is really versatile for fleet battles and I really have a lot of fun with it

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 16, 2020

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
I've only recently started using the tie bomber, but I made a short step-by-step guide on how you can use it to hypothetically take out 2 capital ship-subsystems in one run by flying in close with the rotary and beam cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRBVy0h9hQ

Might be useful to some players who aren't sure how to use the bomber for this "suicide run" role. I think it's worth a bomber death if you manage to take out at least one of the shield gens, but you might even survive if a support ship shields you and the other team is completely clueless.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Are ion missiles somehow more resistant against countermeasures or something? Cause I've just been up against a guy who used ion missiles and concussion missiles in tandem to great effect, and for the life of me I could never shoot down those dang ion missiles (using the seeker warheads countermeasure). Was a pretty good tactic regardless, though. Ion missile will kill shields and stun, leaving you a clear concussion shot that's nearly guaranteed to kill.

Also, now that I actually got some currency to spend, I'm already running up against the limits of the customization. The Imperials don't even have the snazzy officer hat on offer, just a dozen variants of the same dang helmet with slightly different paintjobs. Similarly there's like perhaps three actually interesting paintjobs per ship type and that's about it. Really hope they'll dump some more in there in coming seasons.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Yeah, the imperial stuff mostly being "here's a fat ugly-rear end stripe down the middle of your wing" kind of sucks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

chglcu posted:

Yeah, the imperial stuff mostly being "here's a fat ugly-rear end stripe down the middle of your wing" kind of sucks.

The only thing I use that isn't hull-appropriate blue or gray is the Royal Guard red for one interceptor loadout.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fuzz posted:

You can get angled mounts, don't give up yet! I believe you have a MonsterTech frame? Try this:

https://monstertechusa.com/product/angle-mounting-bracket-0-45/

Unfortunately, I use a custom mounting bracket for my Obutto seat, so that wouldn't work for me :(. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

I might have enough tolerance in the holes to stuff some washers in between the frame and the bracket on one side, attaching the bracket kinda diagonally to give it more rotation. I'll mess with that later.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Varkas posted:

I've only recently started using the tie bomber, but I made a short step-by-step guide on how you can use it to hypothetically take out 2 capital ship-subsystems in one run by flying in close with the rotary and beam cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRBVy0h9hQ

Might be useful to some players who aren't sure how to use the bomber for this "suicide run" role. I think it's worth a bomber death if you manage to take out at least one of the shield gens, but you might even survive if a support ship shields you and the other team is completely clueless.

It's really bad to die in fleet battles. You're much better off doing quicker, less dramatic bombing runs, taking what you can get. I wouldnt even worry about using your rotary cannon on the cap ship because you want to be max engine power the whole time. if you do have a support ship to bubble you at the perfect time go for it, but a bomber death is not worth the cruiser shield gen because that death contributes to your only lose condition which is having your own ship attacked.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Shine posted:

Unfortunately, I use a custom mounting bracket for my Obutto seat, so that wouldn't work for me :(. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

I might have enough tolerance in the holes to stuff some washers in between the frame and the bracket on one side, attaching the bracket kinda diagonally to give it more rotation. I'll mess with that later.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean you can't rotate that base without consequence.. the grip can be aligned however you want but the base has a defined mechanical 12 o-clock position since it has discrete x/y mechanisms and sensors. People get away with rotating their Warthogs like that because the gimbals are like a trailer hitch ball with no mechanical distinction as to what is x or y and 12 o-clock is defined digitally and easy to apply an offset to the monolithic sensor.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean you can't rotate that base without consequence.. the grip can be aligned however you want but the base has a defined mechanical 12 o-clock position since it has discrete x/y mechanisms and sensors. People get away with rotating their Warthogs like that because the gimbals are like a trailer hitch ball with no mechanical distinction as to what is x or y and 12 o-clock is defined digitally and easy to apply an offset to the monolithic sensor.

Yeah, doing this would mean futzing about with the software to redefine "which way is up," so to speak, so it'll be janky if I can't sort that out. Very much a WIP plan.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

It's really bad to die in fleet battles. You're much better off doing quicker, less dramatic bombing runs, taking what you can get. I wouldnt even worry about using your rotary cannon on the cap ship because you want to be max engine power the whole time. if you do have a support ship to bubble you at the perfect time go for it, but a bomber death is not worth the cruiser shield gen because that death contributes to your only lose condition which is having your own ship attacked.

I haven't done a super in-depth analysis and I may be totally wrong here, but I'm inclined to disagree? My whole take is that if you're a bomber that pushes up beyond your midfield, it's likely just a matter of time before you get taken out (and that time won't be very long if the other team is actively prioritizing and focus firing enemy bombers, like I do when I play interceptor). So if I'm going to die anyway, I'd rather it be from taking out a shield generator entirely instead of plinking away at some shields from afar.

Now if you're properly supported and have team mates that actively form on your wing, it might be a different story, but I've yet to play with such folks.

Does a bomber death have the same negative impact as say, an interceptor death? I think my whole argument might really hinge on just how much of a negative effect it causes compared to other over zealous teammates that take unnecessary risks all the time and get themselves killed. If I can accomplish more capital ship damage with one death than they would in 4 deaths, I see it as a net gain.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Varkas posted:

awesome vid with a really great demonstration on how to do a good bombing run, but id slap on the ion JET engines to literally double how quickly the bomber generates boost. Doing this however does make it a bit harder to escape after the run since the ship burns through boost twice as quickly, but its a hoot having endless overcharged rotary ammo for the bomber

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

while it is bad to die in fleet battles, taking out 2 shield gens, or even just 1, is totally worth the 10 morale loss imo. Also, the rotary absolutely SHREDS the hull, I have no idea what you are getting at there. Technically it is *optimal* to just slowly plink away at the enemy cap ship from a safe distance and retreat to AI farm once the morale is low, but thats boring to do and infuriating to fight against. Its much more fun to do a crazy bombing run and try to see if you can escape safely

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Varkas posted:

I haven't done a super in-depth analysis and I may be totally wrong here, but I'm inclined to disagree? My whole take is that if you're a bomber that pushes up beyond your midfield, it's likely just a matter of time before you get taken out (and that time won't be very long if the other team is actively prioritizing and focus firing enemy bombers, like I do when I play interceptor). So if I'm going to die anyway, I'd rather it be from taking out a shield generator entirely instead of plinking away at some shields from afar.

Now if you're properly supported and have team mates that actively form on your wing, it might be a different story, but I've yet to play with such folks.

Does a bomber death have the same negative impact as say, an interceptor death? I think my whole argument might really hinge on just how much of a negative effect it causes compared to other over zealous teammates that take unnecessary risks all the time and get themselves killed. If I can accomplish more capital ship damage with one death than they would in 4 deaths, I see it as a net gain.

When attacking with a full team of 5, each death counts as 10 morale loss, regardless of the ship one is flying. On the flip side, every time a defender is killed is 5 morale gain and an AI kill is 2 morale for the attackers and 5 for the defenders. Im not sure what the total morale is, but 100 seems to be a safe assumption. I also dont know how much morale is gained for raider/frigate kills; my guess is 20 but, ehhh im not sure. Still, 10 is not a huge loss if the rest of the team is paying attention and I think its a good trade for taking out a subsystem, tho a squad wipe is kind of devastating for the attackers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You're both touching on true things.

1) A lovely bomber pilot thinks "it's ok if I perpetually ignore fighters and suicide into cap ships as long as I deal some amount of damage".

2) A good bomber pilot thinks "suicide runs are generally bad, but sometimes an opportunity to do huge damage presents itself, and I should take advantage of them".

So basically if you're just going "got a rotary canon and a dream, yolo!!!!" and charge straight for the cap ship with no allies and three different enemies tracking you, you're a clown. But if you go "hmm, all enemies are distracted by my corvette + teammates, nobody will even see me here, I can take this subsystem from 100 to 0 before they get me" then that's a good suicide.

Bad bomber pilots can't tell the difference between the two scenarios are just suicide straight at the cap ship at all times, make your attack phases always pathetically short, then end up 0-11 and think that's good because 35K cap damage.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 17, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

you can definitely do attack runs on cap ships as a bomber without dying. you max engines, fire as soon as you'll hit with your loadout, and fly back out without getting closer than 800m. overcharging your rotary cannon and doing gobs of damage is nice but it invariably gets you killed. The 10 morale is a big deal, but you're also missing a lot of time respawning & getting back into position that you could be spending shooting someone chasing after your squad mate or blowing up a couple squads of x wings to make sure you stay on attack.

to my mind it's better to do 3-4quick runs where you live than 2 long ones where you have to respawn if both are going to end in the subsystem is destroyed, especially if your team is unpredictably feeding. I did a long effort post about how to win fleet battles basically by yourself using a bomber a few days ago, I wont rehash it, there's just really no reason to plan to suicide bomb.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Shine posted:

Yeah, doing this would mean futzing about with the software to redefine "which way is up," so to speak, so it'll be janky if I can't sort that out. Very much a WIP plan.

I don't think that's even an option in normal software?.. it works with Warthog since the sensor is a single chip and north is assigned digitally plus the gimbals have no mechanical up. VKB (or Virpil, don't remember which you have) however use a separate sensor and cam for each axis and I'm not aware of any current software that can take something like 90% of the y value and interpolate 10% of an x value to represent 100% y axis for instance. Does Gremlin have an option to reassign north or any other software out there?

Even if you could there would likely be mechanical artifacts from the separate cams operating in unison though if the tension profile were truly linear and no detentes it might not be noticeable but cams with a detente or curved output would become unusable.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is there a way to unbind the "open menu" function for flightsticks?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Thoatse posted:

I don't think that's even an option in normal software?.. it works with Warthog since the sensor is a single chip and north is assigned digitally plus the gimbals have no mechanical up. VKB (or Virpil, don't remember which you have) however use a separate sensor and cam for each axis and I'm not aware of any current software that can take something like 90% of the y value and interpolate 10% of an x value to represent 100% y axis for instance. Does Gremlin have an option to reassign north or any other software out there?

Even if you could there would likely be mechanical artifacts from the separate cams operating in unison though if the tension profile were truly linear and no detentes it might not be noticeable but cams with a detente or curved output would become unusable.

VKB. I asked one of their engineers for advice. Their software has shitloads of settings and functions that require a lot of RTFM, and at a glance I didn't see a workaround. We'll see.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shine posted:

You could always just machine a new bracket with the holes offset?

And yeah, your normal planes would all be canted to match the stick without software fuckery which sorta defeats the purpose of a fancy stick.

If anything, I'd say your stick should be further out, anyway, so maybe get a new mounting setup? Seems like you'd be mashing the stick into your chair when pitching up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

astr0man posted:

Is there a way to unbind the "open menu" function for flightsticks?

Bind it to something else. I think that’s one that is mandatorily bound to something.

Which is annoying, because I’ll happily hit the keyboard for the stupid menus, but that’s not good enough I guess.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Bad Munki posted:

Bind it to something else. I think that’s one that is mandatorily bound to something.

Yeah I figured out how to bind it to a different stick button, but it's annoying that it has to be bound to something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Agreed, especially since having it bound on another input device doesn’t count. Has to be bound in each category.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

tie bombers are already OP but with a bit of teamwork they become something else entirely

ty rob for the shields and repairs

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

tie bombers are already OP but with a bit of teamwork they become something else entirely

:eyepop:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

You use power shunting, which is by default bound to the same controls as shield angling. This is completely separate from power management.

All you do is max engine power (to generate boost) and then shunt to weapons, which turns the boost bar into the equivalent laser overcharge bar.

well I'm going to have to figure out what that button is in controls later when I get home, I haven't seen anything like that but the tutorial did crash on me and just let start playing multiplayer so :kiddo:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Sir you are under arrest for star War Crimes

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

That enemy team will never play this game again

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I feel really stupid asking this but it doesn't seem to be a common issue as I haven't seen anything when googling for it, but I can't seem to log in to the ea servers to do anything online. I bought through steam, and when it shows the ea login popup it's all greyed out. I can highlight some fields by click dragging but can't actually enter any credentials. Is this some known issue?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Symetrique posted:

That enemy team will never play this game again

They say Maleiszy is still out there somewhere, hurling endlessly through the void, looking helplessly at two numbers. The first, a zero. The second, once 15, now infinitely increasing like the vastness of space.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shine posted:

As an aside, teamwork remains OP. We went something like 30-8 in a dogfight yesterday, and that was one with one party member being a complete novice who scored zero kills. It was my first zero-deaths dogfight, yayyyyyyyy.

Man, this poo poo's fun.

lol I ran into the opposite side of this last night, flying with a couple buddies and the other team smoked us like 30-2. They got into a cadence where we always had at least one or two people dead, so they'd all pick a target and swarm in for the kill. Really wish I could have just tapped out, after the first few times of ineffectually dying I just wanted it to end.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Imagine giving this gameplay to a competent developer that would balance it and add new ships

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol I ran into the opposite side of this last night, flying with a couple buddies and the other team smoked us like 30-2. They got into a cadence where we always had at least one or two people dead, so they'd all pick a target and swarm in for the kill. Really wish I could have just tapped out, after the first few times of ineffectually dying I just wanted it to end.

We had a match that started with a team wipe and like 1 - 7. Its possible to recover but this is like mostly on the spawn system and lack of matchmaking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dpulex posted:

Imagine giving this gameplay to a competent developer that would balance it and add new ships

I'm sorry, I cannot imagine that.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

He's right.

The guys who designed and pushed for BFV's 5v5 mode should be in charge of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BogDew posted:

Well here's my napkin guide :

The game is meant to be played with a communicating team, so trying to solo a bombing run is always going to end in tears. Only way to survive is to play cautiously and pull back as soon as you get your ordinance off, you're not likely to get enough speed in time to escape if you're stuck in the middle.

In groups, definitely having a support ship in tow is one way to make Bombers get through a pass in one hit. A shield boost / resupply can really boost the odds, especially when using weapons with limited supply.

Ion weapons will knock out shields pretty quickly. Multi-rockets are very good at taking out a ton of turrets in one hit and are usually a good followup once shields are down. Dumbfire rockets also are a good pick as they come in packs of 30.

Another tactic is to fly in incredibly close and unload at point blank in a blind spot. The Rebel main ship is notoriously vulnerable for this as it's firing arcs aren't that decent, especially around the power supply spine, it's possible to park under the shields and unload.

As for general ships.

X-Wings/TIEs - All rounder and escort. Use missiles to pin down interceptors. If you're a good pilot, fly under shields and snipe at subsystems.

A-wing/Interceptor - Fast and annoying, but fragile. Main advantage is the stealth abilities so you can be sneaky and snipe in some hits and buzz off out of range. And mines.

Y-Wing/Bomber - Dish out the capital damage. You have to take out the shields before your torpedoes/bombs do any real damage. Good flying can mean you can sneak under the shields and do direct hits. Plus smacking down people with ions never gets old.

U-Wing/Reaper - Support class and sometimes bomber. Don't think about dog fighting. Your main focus is to fly around giving everyone shield and resupplies (set targeting to allies).
The game will highlight who needs health and automatically target if you are delivering shields. Additionally you can dump pickups in the field. You also have a tractor beam that is good fun to pin down interceptors.

Surprisingly people don't bother targeting you as you're not directly attacking them and you can usually dump power into shields and scuttle away. Survival rate is increased if you hang back just behind the main line.
You can also function fairly nicely as extra bomber as you have a larger supply of munitions.

Catching up with the thread (Still haven't gotten a new controller yet and haven't been able to actually play, even though I already bought the game :negative:) and I'll try and throw this up in the OP.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 17, 2020