Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, my joystick managed to die on me when I tried playing this (it was already on life support anyway to be honest), is there any setup (joystick or HOTAS) people recommend for this or in general? Preferably something that can still be found easily, guessing Microsoft Flight Simulator wrecked the supply recently but man it seems hard to find anything out there to begin with. Price range I can be flexible on considering computer gaming is about my only big expensive hobby and my last one went for years before going bye-bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

Projectiles inherit your speed in an oddly Newtonian way, so jacking up engines and boosting to max speed when you fire actually does make your torpedoes substantially faster.

This was the case in the old Xwing games as well.

I’ve been flying the A-wing almost exclusively and loving it. In Dogfight mode I’m pretty consistently at the top of the leaderboard, and in fleet battles I hunt AI and players all day.

I just wish you could pick a faction preference in Fleet Battles.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MadDogMike posted:

OK, my joystick managed to die on me when I tried playing this (it was already on life support anyway to be honest), is there any setup (joystick or HOTAS) people recommend for this or in general? Preferably something that can still be found easily, guessing Microsoft Flight Simulator wrecked the supply recently but man it seems hard to find anything out there to begin with. Price range I can be flexible on considering computer gaming is about my only big expensive hobby and my last one went for years before going bye-bye.

As said in the last few pages, your best bang for buck for a stick is a VKB Gladiator NXT. No Throttle from VKB, but if you wanna shell out the cash, Virpil has one you can order for retail and might get by Xmas? My Gladiator took just under 2 weeks to come in, along with my VKB Rudder pedals.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

ye :golfclap:

I bet they come back in June and announce Squadrons 2 for $60, and that's the DLC. Then it's Modern Starwarfare every year from here on out.

This is harder to do than you think; I saw Respawn talking about getting fallen order approved, and it takes quite a bit of time to get Disney to ok a Star Wars game if it has any story elements in it all. Probably a little bit easier for Squadrons since the legacy characters are mostly Cameos, but stuff like project Starhawk is now canon and requires approval from the higher ups at Disney and apparently even getting a meeting with them is difficult since they don't really care for video games.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheAnomaly posted:

This is harder to do than you think; I saw Respawn talking about getting fallen order approved, and it takes quite a bit of time to get Disney to ok a Star Wars game if it has any story elements in it all. Probably a little bit easier for Squadrons since the legacy characters are mostly Cameos, but stuff like project Starhawk is now canon and requires approval from the higher ups at Disney and apparently even getting a meeting with them is difficult since they don't really care for video games.

Well now you're makin' me think they just hate money. That makes total sense, but I am really hoping that for once they come to their senses.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 24, 2020

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
All the more reason to do more mundane, on the fringes stuff. Where you're an average pilot doing normal patrols and raids and the like. Make the story character driven about your fellow pilots, and not grand narrative with significant lore implications.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

TheAnomaly posted:

Disney's blind spot with video games is absolutely baffling.

They should use this engine to do another Wing Commander. Or at least dust off all the footage and remaster Wing Commander 3 + 4.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Pastamania posted:

remaster Wing Commander 3 + 4.

Some guys are actually doing just that right now

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I cannot post that Fry macro enough.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pastamania posted:

They should use this engine to do another Wing Commander. Or at least dust off all the footage and remaster Wing Commander 3 + 4.

:gary:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pastamania posted:

This country, and most companies, are run by old farts who didn't grow up playing video games so they really just...don't understand it. It's changing as younger heads take up the mantle and as older folks respond to the siren song of fat stacks of cash, but it's a slow and uneven process.

I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of Disney's upper management still see video games as kids games so they're far more willing to make stuff with Micky and the crew, and of course Kingdom Hearts which just prints money and has a story actively made out of plotholes so what's a few more. Of course they don't realize that the people who grew up playing KH as kids and are the big fans are in their 30's now. To be fair a lot of those people also don't realize it/hate admitting it themselves because no one likes being old.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alkydere posted:

This country, and most companies, are run by old farts who didn't grow up playing video games so they really just...don't understand it. It's changing as younger heads take up the mantle and as older folks respond to the siren song of fat stacks of cash, but it's a slow and uneven process.
In recent years one of the higher-ups at Walgreens is a guy who actively collects action figures, and he made it his personal mission to make Walgreens a place where people would want to go to buy toys. He totally transformed their toy section so now they carry exclusives and somewhat higher-end figures and collectibles aimed at adults; it's seriously loving surreal to go to goddamn Walgreens (you know, the pharmacy and convenience store) to get exclusive action figures.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheAnomaly posted:

Probably a little bit easier for Squadrons since the legacy characters are mostly Cameos, but stuff like project Starhawk is now canon and requires approval from the higher ups at Disney

Is it just me or does it feel like there was a directive from Disney for the new EU stuff to lean on Starhawk? It's showed up in at least two video games, it came up in the Armada tabletop game, I feel like I heard it mentioned somewhere else... maybe I'm over-reacting but it just feels like it's been pushed hard.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Holy poo poo dogfighting is fun. Bought this entirely for the singleplayer campaign for TIE Fighter nostalgia. Now I've got a chromed up A-Wing and I'm blasting.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like there was a directive from Disney for the new EU stuff to lean on Starhawk? It's showed up in at least two video games, it came up in the Armada tabletop game, I feel like I heard it mentioned somewhere else... maybe I'm over-reacting but it just feels like it's been pushed hard.

Mandalorian's in this time period, right?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Holy poo poo dogfighting is fun. Bought this entirely for the singleplayer campaign for TIE Fighter nostalgia. Now I've got a chromed up A-Wing and I'm blasting.

Mandalorian's in this time period, right?

Mandalorian takes place like 7-8 years after the events of Squadrons

The Starhawk is prominent because it plays a major role in winning the Battle of Jakku for the NR in the Aftermath books

edit: I guess the best comparison is TIE Fighter having Thrawn play a integral part in the campaign; his books had been out for a few years by the game's release

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 25, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Folks, how can I be less bad at aiming? I always overshoot in turning battles and get grumpy at killcams showing my enemies with laser precision.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Arcturas posted:

Folks, how can I be less bad at aiming? I always overshoot in turning battles and get grumpy at killcams showing my enemies with laser precision.

I guess you need to predict when they are going to come into your view and anticipate slowing down your turn.

I don't know how you do that with all UI elements on, I personally use a combination of where they are on my radar + the screen showing their orientation.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Arcturas posted:

The quality of your controller matters

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

The quality of your controller matters

Janky-rear end old xbox 360 controller, baby.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

IIRC the Armada game expansion was also the first time it was seen, and it looks so bad.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Wha? I thought it was one of the best looking ships they made for that game. Almost enough to get me to play it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arcturas posted:

Try using the +maneuverability engines.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Obligatory get gud post

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

If you have an angle where they can’t see you, wait until you have a perfect shot to start shooting. It’s better to wait and get a fantastic first volley than to start early, miss your first few shots, and have them start maneuvering to avoid you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

Wha? I thought it was one of the best looking ships they made for that game. Almost enough to get me to play it.

It just plain does not work for me. I don't know what it is about it, but it doesn't say "Star Wars" to my brain.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I, too, like that ship :shrug:

I do think more EVE Online than Star Wars when I see it but it's not totally out of place IMO. It's like a chonky Nebulon B

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

It just plain does not work for me. I don't know what it is about it, but it doesn't say "Star Wars" to my brain.

It says Star Wars to me but the design says 'heavy duty space trucker' rather than 'warship'.

Which in a sense it is but it doesn't look like the 'hopes and dreams war winning superweapon' its supposed to be.

e: I really can't understand why Disney wrote themselves into a hole saying that the war lasted 1 year after ROTJ. They had 35 years between ROTJ and Awakens which they treated as effectively real time, they could easily have said it took another 5 years. That gives you space to tell a lot more stories in that original trilogy era conflict without running up against a plausibility wall.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 25, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

e: I really can't understand why Disney wrote themselves into a hole saying that the war lasted 1 year after ROTJ. They had 35 years between ROTJ and Awakens which they treated as effectively real time, they could easily have said it took another 5 years. That gives you space to tell a lot more stories in that original trilogy era conflict without running up against a plausibility wall.
One might get the impression that they don't even give a poo poo about the story's quality

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

smug jeebus posted:

One might get the impression that they don't even give a poo poo about the story's quality

The war against the empire is 1 year, but that's not because the rebels win (and coincides with the Thrawn books, which are still canon IIRC and have even added a prequel) it's because the empire falls apart and goes from a monolithic organization to a whole bunch of fractured groups usually clustered around one powerful leader, a handful of Star Destroyers, and a cluster of systems (which is what we see in The Mandolorian). For all of their "the old books are no longer canon" they're cribbing a ton from the old EU.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If, like me, you are just not great at getting weapons on target in a dogfight by all means dig into the sensitivity settings on your pitch and yaw and roll controls. I'm no ace yet but I was way overshooting the mark when chasing a target and having to double back all the time. My first tweak seems to have helped a lot with that, and I think I can get it a little better with some more fiddling.

Grain of salt: I am getting pretty far into the SP campaign, stick to "Story" difficulty (for the first playthrough), and am still learning the muscle memory of where I put all my binds so they would fit on a Thrustmaster HOTAS X (I play Squadrons on XBox so no help from keyboards here.) I'm way too scairt to try MP.

YMMV

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

If, like me, you are just not great at getting weapons on target in a dogfight by all means dig into the sensitivity settings on your pitch and yaw and roll controls. I'm no ace yet but I was way overshooting the mark when chasing a target and having to double back all the time. My first tweak seems to have helped a lot with that, and I think I can get it a little better with some more fiddling.

Grain of salt: I am getting pretty far into the SP campaign, stick to "Story" difficulty (for the first playthrough), and am still learning the muscle memory of where I put all my binds so they would fit on a Thrustmaster HOTAS X (I play Squadrons on XBox so no help from keyboards here.) I'm way too scairt to try MP.

YMMV

What have you changed? More sensitive? Less?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

What have you changed? More sensitive? Less?
Sorry, good question I should have addressed already:
I think I knocked the sensitivity down a good 20% or maybe a little more. I also increased the dead zone a little but I keep reading it's glitched so I can't tell if it made a difference. I still think, on my setup, the sensitivity could come down another 10% or so and I'd be better at getting sights on (dodging) targets.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I massively lowered the sensitivity on yaw and it helped a ton.

But I am also one of those fuckers who is playing with yaw on pedals so ymmv but it helped me a lot.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dumbfire rockets are ridiculous. They're not any harder to target than laser cannons, so it's literally just a damage multiplier in dogfights.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TheAnomaly posted:

The war against the empire is 1 year, but that's not because the rebels win (and coincides with the Thrawn books, which are still canon IIRC and have even added a prequel) it's because the empire falls apart and goes from a monolithic organization to a whole bunch of fractured groups usually clustered around one powerful leader, a handful of Star Destroyers, and a cluster of systems (which is what we see in The Mandolorian). For all of their "the old books are no longer canon" they're cribbing a ton from the old EU.

They said from the very first video that announced the removal of the EU that they were going to pick and choose things and re-canonize them if they liked them enough. No one seems to want to reinvent the wheel though if they have a lot of material to draw from I guess. I could tell they were going to copy a lot of stuff once TFA seemed to be copying the Caedus arc. But yeah, ultimately it looks like the canon reset had more to do with making sure characters like Chewie could be brought back.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Dumbfire rockets are ridiculous. They're not any harder to target than laser cannons, so it's literally just a damage multiplier in dogfights.

Choof choof choof choof choof choof choof

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They travel slower so they are not on the same same lead point as your laser cannons so you need to use them dead on, lead more or be close enough that it doesn't matter.

They do seem to have proximity and a good radius though. They are death for anyone jousting at you (if they are not in a TIE-BMB with rotary) or flying straight for a moment which are bad ways to fly and should be punished, however given how unbalanced the TIE Bomber is at the moment Rebels need something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any tips for essential first acquisitions? Assuming the TIE bomber rotary cannon thing gets nerfed at some point. I'd be happy to fly support with shields/repairs if its worthwhile. Just dipping my feet into MP for the first time.