Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

uXs posted:

The campaign difficulty is hard too, don't be ashamed of putting it on something easier. I just played it on pilot I think (the one above just 'story' or whatever), and I'm not a bad player.

Well that's comforting, finally got my replacement stick (got a Thrustmaster HOTAS 4 since it was available in my price range and also will work for my PS4 apparently; still didn't get into Ace Combat 7 since I'm terrible with a controller flying it so might finally try that one again) and have been working with the campaign and having some learning pains. Feels like I'm struggling a bit to re-learn situational awareness and I was definitely a better shot back in my X-Wing/TIE Fighter days, need to remember how to lead better when firing (or possibly get younger again :)). Also learning having an actual throttle which I generally didn't use prior to this HOTAS setup, but feels like a hell of a lot better control once I get used to it. I definitely remember all the power switching quite well, though in the end I skipped my plan of hitting the ol' function keys to swap like the old days to the simpler using the hat switch to swap between the max engines/weapons/shields/balanced stuff. Certainly insanely immersive, part of my limit on play thus far is I'm getting sore arms from how tensely I am gripping the controls and frantically fighting when I'm in missions, though I think the positioning is ergonomic enough at least.

Anyway, once I trust my abilities with basic flight functions, any tips for a newbie once I try multiplayer? I expect to get blasted a lot starting out, but any suggestions on things I can do to actually contribute? Also, any general advice for dodging fire better from capital ships, doesn't feel like the ol' Wotan Weave works on approach unless I'm not doing it right anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Arquinsiel posted:

The range requirement makes them slightly harder to keep on target, so I can see why people get the impression that they're a trap choice. Once you get used to it you're fine though.

The rapid fire cannon is a trap choice on the tie interceptor because it deals less damage than the standard cannon does plus it has 400m shorter range. The standard cannon on the A-wing does less damage so there the rapid fire cannon is higher dps but at a shorter range. There is absolutely no reason to ever take the rapid fire cannon on the interceptor as things stand.

The rapid fire cannon does have the advantage that it builds overcharge faster, but considering that ties can shunt power between engines and weapons that doesn't even matter.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I'm convinced that there's some sort of damage dropoff/optimal range on them that isnt being reflected on the DPS stats in game. Its hard to tell with how inconsistent the netcode is in this game though, and I haven't seen anyone do an actual weapon comparison that takes different ranges into account.

Haven't really felt like I've been at a disadvantage using them in dogfight, but I usually run plasburst over them anyway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Symetrique posted:

The burst lasers for a wings and interceptors aren't traps. I'm assuming that's what you meant by rotary.

They're more situational than the standard lasers but by no means are they useless, especially on the interceptor.

Negatorative, Red Leader, I meant the 600m "rapid-fire" guns that do lower damage, not the burst lasers.

Grashnak posted:

The rapid fire cannon is a trap choice on the tie interceptor because it deals less damage than the standard cannon does plus it has 400m shorter range. The standard cannon on the A-wing does less damage so there the rapid fire cannon is higher dps but at a shorter range. There is absolutely no reason to ever take the rapid fire cannon on the interceptor as things stand.

The rapid fire cannon does have the advantage that it builds overcharge faster, but considering that ties can shunt power between engines and weapons that doesn't even matter.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 28, 2020

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

We were both wrong on the names, but I understood what you were talking about.

As I said, I don't trust the stats screens for them and I haven't seen accurate testing that confirms them being a trap choice. I'm not sure if it's preference or play style, but I know other players who do well with them too.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

MadDogMike posted:

Well that's comforting, finally got my replacement stick (got a Thrustmaster HOTAS 4 since it was available in my price range and also will work for my PS4 apparently; still didn't get into Ace Combat 7 since I'm terrible with a controller flying it so might finally try that one again) and have been working with the campaign and having some learning pains. Feels like I'm struggling a bit to re-learn situational awareness and I was definitely a better shot back in my X-Wing/TIE Fighter days, need to remember how to lead better when firing (or possibly get younger again :)). Also learning having an actual throttle which I generally didn't use prior to this HOTAS setup, but feels like a hell of a lot better control once I get used to it. I definitely remember all the power switching quite well, though in the end I skipped my plan of hitting the ol' function keys to swap like the old days to the simpler using the hat switch to swap between the max engines/weapons/shields/balanced stuff. Certainly insanely immersive, part of my limit on play thus far is I'm getting sore arms from how tensely I am gripping the controls and frantically fighting when I'm in missions, though I think the positioning is ergonomic enough at least.

Anyway, once I trust my abilities with basic flight functions, any tips for a newbie once I try multiplayer? I expect to get blasted a lot starting out, but any suggestions on things I can do to actually contribute? Also, any general advice for dodging fire better from capital ships, doesn't feel like the ol' Wotan Weave works on approach unless I'm not doing it right anymore.

Have you jumped into the practise mode? You can spawn an AI squadron and duke it out 1v5 really helps for getting used to things.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grashnak posted:

The quoted stats on the customisation pages are weird. It's not clear if the DPS takes into account how long a gun can fire before needing to recharge and how long that recharging takes, and it completely ignores the difference between a regular charge and an overcharge. If I am interpreting this correctly the TIE Interceptor has a lower listed DPS because it's assuming you aren't shunting power from the engines to instantly charge it.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Arquinsiel posted:

The quoted stats on the customisation pages are weird. It's not clear if the DPS takes into account how long a gun can fire before needing to recharge and how long that recharging takes, and it completely ignores the difference between a regular charge and an overcharge. If I am interpreting this correctly the TIE Interceptor has a lower listed DPS because it's assuming you aren't shunting power from the engines to instantly charge it.

There was a reddit thread posted in here a while back that had some number crunching done on some of the weapons. It showed that the dps displayed in the outfitting screen is generally accurate and that having the weapon overcharged is a ~25% damage boost on top of that number.

From my messing around I've certainly never had any reason to doubt that, the rapid fire cannon doesn't seem to kill stuff any faster in practice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grashnak posted:

There was a reddit thread posted in here a while back that had some number crunching done on some of the weapons. It showed that the dps displayed in the outfitting screen is generally accurate and that having the weapon overcharged is a ~25% damage boost on top of that number.

From my messing around I've certainly never had any reason to doubt that, the rapid fire cannon doesn't seem to kill stuff any faster in practice.
Yeah, looking at that thread they've got a bunch of numbers which puts the damage higher for the rapid fire cannon, but then they show a video comparison of about a 50% effectiveness rate.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a compelling reason to play fighters over bombers or interceptors? Fighters seem fine, I don't think they are underpowerd or anything - But what does a fighter do that a bomber or interceptor doesn't do better? If I want to be fast and zip around, interceptors are faster. If I want to be durable and have lots of firepower, bombers do that better.

It seems to me that in a fighter there is always someone faster or more powerful than you. Do fighters possess some unique function I'm overlooking?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I kitted my TIE to be more maneuverable than an interceptor, and it’s more durable as well. Not quite as fast, but i don’t think it needs to be.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, looking at that thread they've got a bunch of numbers which puts the damage higher for the rapid fire cannon, but then they show a video comparison of about a 50% effectiveness rate.

The issue is that damage falloff and the average engagement range in this game are such that the default cannons are just more effective at most ranges and far more consistent.

I will say that the burst cannon on the X-Wing and Interceptor is definitely better, it seems to have the same range and falloff modeling, but just does more front loaded damage. Combined with the way that if your reticle is red, all your shots will land, it means that in the brief window your reticle locks and you fire, the entire burst will hit, so you can really tear people apart hilariously quickly.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

Is there a compelling reason to play fighters over bombers or interceptors? Fighters seem fine, I don't think they are underpowerd or anything - But what does a fighter do that a bomber or interceptor doesn't do better? If I want to be fast and zip around, interceptors are faster. If I want to be durable and have lots of firepower, bombers do that better.

It seems to me that in a fighter there is always someone faster or more powerful than you. Do fighters possess some unique function I'm overlooking?

Their durability makes them my preferred ship for protecting bombers on attack. Interceptors can get bodied much faster if the capital ship or the enemy fighters happen to focus them, and losing 10 morale is a pretty big deal. Plus they can carry torpedos for fairly high damage.

On defense interceptors shine because the enemy team is likely focusing the cap ship and they can get to the bombers faster.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Do ion weapons work differently with Power Systems than other capital ship subsystems? I noticed that if I hit a shield generator with an ion torpedo it does ok damage and disables it, but hitting the power system destroys it completely from full health

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Geisladisk posted:

Fighters can have both ion and proton torpedoes. I like playing a stealthy x-wing that lobs torpedoes at cap ships from range.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

uXs posted:

Fighters can have both ion and proton torpedoes. I like playing a stealthy x-wing that lobs torpedoes at cap ships from range.

Similarly, ion missiles and rockets are a wonderful combo both against ships and other fighters. The ion missile has a bit extra range over other nominally anti-fighter weapons (1500 meters rather than 1000), which can be very useful in various situations. Ion and concussion missiles together can also work reasonably well against some fighters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fuzz posted:

The issue is that damage falloff and the average engagement range in this game are such that the default cannons are just more effective at most ranges and far more consistent.

I will say that the burst cannon on the X-Wing and Interceptor is definitely better, it seems to have the same range and falloff modeling, but just does more front loaded damage. Combined with the way that if your reticle is red, all your shots will land, it means that in the brief window your reticle locks and you fire, the entire burst will hit, so you can really tear people apart hilariously quickly.
That's not quite what the data on the reddit thread suggests, but they seem to have arrived at that by doing sync drops and shooting each other while stationary then applying maths so :shrug: as to the rigour of it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Update is here on Steam at least, seems it's only the added cosmetics. At least, nothing seems to have changed in my ranking, still skill points 0.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

uXs posted:

Update is here on Steam at least, seems it's only the added cosmetics. At least, nothing seems to have changed in my ranking, still skill points 0.

I’ve heard people saying that it fixed framerate issues for them on PC but no patch notes yet

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I did some brief testing with FPSvr and practice mode on my index. The 60fps lock issues appear to be gone and there is some performance improvements, but from a VR title perspective the optimization level is still abysmal. On a 9900k/2080ti heavily overclocked I could only get 90fps stable on my Index with the following settings:

90fps mode
130% total SS (default steamVR levels for 120hz mode)
all squadrons VR graphical settings set to low
legacy reprojection on

It's better than running in 60fps->120hz mode, but for a VR title its still on the bad side. Hopefully they can get some engine optimizations to not require absolutely top of the line hardware to play the game at a minimum acceptable performance level.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

uXs posted:

:suicide:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just bought the game and intend to play in VR. Is this 'guide' right?
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/jez56v/psa_steps_to_take_to_enjoy_vr/

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'd say ion missiles are probably the fighter's best weapon. They seem to be much harder to dodge than any other missile, and they have splash so you can usually still ion an interceptor on a near miss. Firing an ion and then a concussion is a powerful combo. When you're running ion, call your targets for the team, most people are super keen to jump on ioned ships. If your team is on the ball, just a few seconds of ion will mean death.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/jez56v/psa_steps_to_take_to_enjoy_vr/

Haven't tried it since this patch but last week was messing with it and communicating with op and it definitely helped, particularly disabling motion blur and increasing the render resolution. Not sure if I'd recommend the DX12 enabling, it was my suggestion to him initially but later decided it did nothing at best but might mess stuff up. The Nvidia tweaks seemed to help and other than the fps bug and stuttering things looked better and was smoother

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hoiyes posted:

I'd say ion missiles are probably the fighter's best weapon. They seem to be much harder to dodge than any other missile, and they have splash so you can usually still ion an interceptor on a near miss. Firing an ion and then a concussion is a powerful combo. When you're running ion, call your targets for the team, most people are super keen to jump on ioned ships. If your team is on the ball, just a few seconds of ion will mean death.

Is there a good way to use the ion turret on the y wing? I love it in theory (and ion weapons in general) but it just feels super ineffective.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a good way to use the ion turret on the y wing? I love it in theory (and ion weapons in general) but it just feels super ineffective.

Yeah it doesn't seem very good imo. It's certainly a pale shadow of the weapon it was in the Battlefront 2 version.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Sounds like they fixed the framerate thing? I'm probably going to pick this up tonight then, finally.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I haven’t tried personally but other players report the FPS problem is fixed for both flat screen and VR displays.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's got a fairly short range, and takes a few hits to disable an enemy. When I first tried using it shortly after the game came out, I wasn't even sure it was working until someone mentioned the icon and you can distinctly hear it once you know what to listen for. I play with headphones and once I learned to pick out the sound of it when it was active, it's very clear.

All that said, it's pretty good when used in the right circumstances. IIRC, it can hit targets behind you, but the short range makes that not the best option for clearing your tail, which can happen easily in the Y-wing depending on your various hull, shield, and engine components. What I like using it for is in the thick of dogfights, particularly on maps like Yavin where it's wide open and you might get into some big turning furball, and it will score some hits on people. One or two ion hits on their own won't do much to an enemy with full health, but it can help, and I've noticed it help me rack up a fair bit of assists. I've heard that it's also reasonably effect against warships and subsystems in fleet battles, but I haven't tried that out myself.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, the patch today took these settings, and some in game settings and made it a lot better. I've been helping that guy test and come up with optimal settings on the SWS discord.
I can run ultra settings on everything but shadows, set those to low and it runs 90fps well, adjust SS to fit performance.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Anyone else not able to get any matches after the patch? I think Australians whinging about netcode means we don't get to play with anyone else anymore.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Wow, that patch made a huge difference to my framerate and I didn't even know I was having issues.

I actually got a 144hz monitor recently, but I honestly wasn't sure how much of a difference it was making until now. After getting used to the capped framerate, my first game post patch was like night and day. It looks so much better in motion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had a couple of weird matches where the countdown stopped and it loaded the lobby voice-chat, but it didn't load the lobby itself. This is a distinct downgrade from always loading the lobby but never loading the voice-chat.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I can't believe they actually fixed it. Hopped into training to fly around and it was noticeable in the hangar before even getting into a cockpit. Did a couple of dogfights before making dinner. VR is incredible now. So smooth. So good. Can't imagine how smooth it must be with an Index.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fartknocker posted:

It's got a fairly short range, and takes a few hits to disable an enemy. When I first tried using it shortly after the game came out, I wasn't even sure it was working until someone mentioned the icon and you can distinctly hear it once you know what to listen for. I play with headphones and once I learned to pick out the sound of it when it was active, it's very clear.

All that said, it's pretty good when used in the right circumstances. IIRC, it can hit targets behind you, but the short range makes that not the best option for clearing your tail, which can happen easily in the Y-wing depending on your various hull, shield, and engine components. What I like using it for is in the thick of dogfights, particularly on maps like Yavin where it's wide open and you might get into some big turning furball, and it will score some hits on people. One or two ion hits on their own won't do much to an enemy with full health, but it can help, and I've noticed it help me rack up a fair bit of assists. I've heard that it's also reasonably effect against warships and subsystems in fleet battles, but I haven't tried that out myself.

I think what drags down the ion cannon is that it’s on a rebel ship and most of the imperial ships don’t have shields. If it was something where I could be hammering down enemy ship’s shields it would feel like a great support weapon in a fur ball but without shields to disable and the rarity of it disabling anything it just feels lovely.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’ve absolutely been loving more aggressive support loadouts. My new absolute favorite setup for Yavin is Targeting Beacons/Ion Missiles. The beacons are almost impossible to dodge, autolock onto enemies behind/below/above you, and even TIE Bombers aren’t putting up much of a fight with -20% hp and no countermeasures. Your missiles let you get some decent damage in against cap ship shields, but are mostly for destroying marked fighters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are the Mandalorian goodies a limited time thing?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Uhmm.......................

My Quest 1 is running Squadrons REALLY good now.....................

Like really good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
They fixed the VR framerate fuckery!!!! It is buttery smooth now! God drat this is so much better and I'm so happy! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoatse posted:

Haven't tried it since this patch but last week was messing with it and communicating with op and it definitely helped, particularly disabling motion blur and increasing the render resolution. Not sure if I'd recommend the DX12 enabling, it was my suggestion to him initially but later decided it did nothing at best but might mess stuff up. The Nvidia tweaks seemed to help and other than the fps bug and stuttering things looked better and was smoother

It's one of the things I wanted to konw, if anyone had benchmarked Dx12 vs Dx11.

rage-saq posted:

Yes, the patch today took these settings, and some in game settings and made it a lot better. I've been helping that guy test and come up with optimal settings on the SWS discord.
I can run ultra settings on everything but shadows, set those to low and it runs 90fps well, adjust SS to fit performance.

Your pc specs?