Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Mines are 100% not OP. A-Wing kinda is though.

idk half of my kills were mooks who died to mines. sure if you know how to use your protective measures and stuff it's fine (I did manage to kill someone with their own mine lol), but I'm amazed there are still enough new/unskilled people at this stage to fall for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Eejit posted:

Kinda wish I just had a second bumper or trigger or something, but way more enjoyable.

I play this with one of the xbox elite controllers that has paddles and oh man it makes such a huge difference. I had to send it out to get repaired at one point and playing with a stock controller during that time was such a rough adjustment. Being able to hit boost, angle shields/shunt, ping targets, etc mid-maneuver is such a huge advantage.

I tried moving buttons around in every conceivable combination and just couldn't find one where I didn't have some important function that felt really inconvenient to use while flying.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

morallyobjected posted:

idk half of my kills were mooks who died to mines. sure if you know how to use your protective measures and stuff it's fine (I did manage to kill someone with their own mine lol), but I'm amazed there are still enough new/unskilled people at this stage to fall for that poo poo.

A lot of people picked up the game over the holidays. I was using dogfight to test my control scheme changes and regularly got put in games with single-digit-level players.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hulk Krogan posted:

I play this with one of the xbox elite controllers that has paddles and oh man it makes such a huge difference. I had to send it out to get repaired at one point and playing with a stock controller during that time was such a rough adjustment. Being able to hit boost, angle shields/shunt, ping targets, etc mid-maneuver is such a huge advantage.

I tried moving buttons around in every conceivable combination and just couldn't find one where I didn't have some important function that felt really inconvenient to use while flying.

From what I've seen, player skill at piloting is the determining factor, so somebody really good on controller will kick rear end no matter how inconvenient the systems management is. But the players that are also good pilots and do all sorts of crazy multitasking are pretty much always on HOTAS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I found myself doing okay with mouse and keyboard, even if I couldn't figure out how to drift properly at all. There are plenty of bads in this game.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It comes down to muscle memory but also button efficiency. The best RTS players use keyboard shortcuts and are efficient with mouseclicks. FPS players utilize a mouse that have many buttons and DPS settings. There's a reason why HOTAS can have dozens of buttons. One button push vs. a combo (e.g. CTL+SHIFT+T or Right Trigger 2 + X or whatever) can make a big difference in brain usage on doing things where split second decision making can make an exponential difference over time. This is particularly true when multi-tasking that may overlap the same button on a controller with less inputs.

Being able to target nearest attacker, call out for assistance, and also allocate power and manage throttle at the same time is kind of a big deal.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 15, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Eejit posted:

From what I've seen, player skill at piloting is the determining factor, so somebody really good on controller will kick rear end no matter how inconvenient the systems management is. But the players that are also good pilots and do all sorts of crazy multitasking are pretty much always on HOTAS.

100%, but being able to move your shields to front or ping your tail while you're in the middle of an evasive maneuver because your thumbs don't have to leave the sticks is pretty nice. It's not an insurmountable advantage, and if you know the game you know the game, but it does make it way easier to multitask.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hulk Krogan posted:

100%, but being able to move your shields to front or ping your tail while you're in the middle of an evasive maneuver because your thumbs don't have to leave the sticks is pretty nice. It's not an insurmountable advantage, and if you know the game you know the game, but it does make it way easier to multitask.

I mean, the more I play the game, the more I'm tempted to get a HOTAS setup for exactly that reason

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Jumped back on last night having not played for a month or so.

Immediately got matched into a game where we went 32 to 6. Myself and another had 12 kills each and zero deaths. Level 134 (him) 34 me, and everyone else in the match was single digits.

Loved seeing new people to the game but boy, hope they can stick with it after being continually slaughtered like that. Especially given how hard it is to get low ping australian matches. It was like playing the campaign.

Loved the video Varkas - looking forward to anyone recommend any further resources like those?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Jumped back on last night having not played for a month or so.

Immediately got matched into a game where we went 32 to 6. Myself and another had 12 kills each and zero deaths. Level 134 (him) 34 me, and everyone else in the match was single digits.

Loved seeing new people to the game but boy, hope they can stick with it after being continually slaughtered like that. Especially given how hard it is to get low ping australian matches. It was like playing the campaign.

Loved the video Varkas - looking forward to anyone recommend any further resources like those?

I'd say ScalpWakka (apparently the #1 player out there) is worth keeping an eye on. His particular approach to the the A-Wing is worth trying out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yx5olefFWg (I think he doesn't mirror this for the tie-interceptor though)

I definitely agree with all his main points in his most recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSwIuxU2mw

This is also probably a good resource to peruse: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/k64kf6/squadrons_community_knowledge_compendium/

Varkas fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 16, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm xboxing for the free weekend. What's the lowest effort fastest line to playing with any goons who might still be active?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
This might be well known or not, but I am playing in VR on Oculus Link with a 5700XT, and always had stuttery performance, seemingly independent of framerate.

I discovered tonight that I simply disable my 144hz monitor, and just run in my second 60hz monitor - the judder is completely gone, and I'm able to run VR at Ultra settings!

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Alchenar posted:

I'm xboxing for the free weekend. What's the lowest effort fastest line to playing with any goons who might still be active?

There's not a lot of active goons in one spot, but I think your best bet is the Marvelous discord that is linked in the OP.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah the squadrons go pewpew server is filled with people who clearly have it on ignore and don’t play. Marvelous is your best bet.

I feel like between 9-3 am EST it is active.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
We should make a new Discord

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ll make a new one to track the new ones!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If there was a Discord with goons I'd join

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I just picked this game up and I've been loving it. Had some great matches already. I've been cleaning up with the Y-Wing. Rotary cannon goes brrrrrr

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Man the Reaper feels horrible to fly after an A-Wing game. Especially when most of the enemy team is terrible except for the multi-hundred-rank A-Wing pilot hunting my rear end down practically on spawn timer.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Isometric Bacon posted:

This might be well known or not, but I am playing in VR on Oculus Link with a 5700XT, and always had stuttery performance, seemingly independent of framerate.

I discovered tonight that I simply disable my 144hz monitor, and just run in my second 60hz monitor - the judder is completely gone, and I'm able to run VR at Ultra settings!

Argh this game does my head in. Today, doing the same as above, I can't get it to maintain a stable framerate without everything set to low!

It was definitely working yesterday, as I was during with individual custom settings.

:Edit:

Ok. So I think I've solved it! The Quest had its own 'auto' super sampling settings independent of steam VR, the game, and Oculus Tray Tool super sampling settings... I've disabled it, and suddenly I can jump up to ultra again. I don't even need to disable my 144hz monitor.

It's noticeably less sharper, clearly due to it not running as high res I guess - but at least I can have manual control of that threshold instead it wanting to deciding it for me. Overlay says I still have a 40-50% headroom at mostly ultra everything at SS 1.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 17, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-ZUjZ0Rtc

They're actually having a full on Tournament with commentators in suits and play by plays. It's sorta hilariously amazing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
People bringing out a lot of ion weaponry this tournament, including the Y-Wing Ion Turret! There's still variety in how teams are approaching the game, both in compositions and tactics. It's actually really cool to watch even if the commentary is too over-the-top-esports-y.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 18, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I had a fun time watching. Interesting to see top tier players face off, a lot of pausing on their loadout screens was done on my part

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Not like builds are complicated in this game but someone made a cool new ship loadout tool that makes it easy to share and see other builds

https://squadrons.starwarsbuilds.com/

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I haven't found any faction winrate stat, but I would love to be able to look that up. I still get fuckin' pasted most of the time on imp and the roll over most teams as republic. Played two games tonight that followed the trend perfectly: an Interceptor game where I went like 6-3 (which is pretty abysmal for an interceptor), then an A-Wing game going 17-1 with three subsystem kills to boot. Pretty sure the matchmaking algorithm uses only one global MMR number so it just has no clue where I belong or what to do with me.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I haven't found any faction winrate stat, but I would love to be able to look that up. I still get fuckin' pasted most of the time on imp and the roll over most teams as republic. Played two games tonight that followed the trend perfectly: an Interceptor game where I went like 6-3 (which is pretty abysmal for an interceptor), then an A-Wing game going 17-1 with three subsystem kills to boot. Pretty sure the matchmaking algorithm uses only one global MMR number so it just has no clue where I belong or what to do with me.

I guess you’re talking fleet battles if you’re dropping subsystems. I’ve personally had nearly even rates with both factions, but I’m paying attention to game wins, not kills/deaths.

Do you ever play objective or support? Maybe you’re getting matched weirdly if you are only playing certain roles.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 19, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Could be you need to shake up your build or play style on imps. At the top level, imps have a decided edge because shunting.

Interceptor should be using a repair droid and rockets or quick lock w standard lasers. Keep all your energy in engines and shunt when you get someone lined up. You can also do outrageous subsystem damage by flying under the shields and being a mosquito, or just by dumping into shield gens/power sys/scabs if someone already has shields down for you.

I think NR is generally a bit more forgiving because you have shields, but if you lean into the ability to have near-limitless boost and way stronger lasers on imps it really helps balance things out.

Also the Defender is beastly if you prefer to fly with shields. You don't even really need to use the aux, although it helps.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

New patch up today, notes here: https://games-guides.com/star-wars-squadrons-update-1-10-patch-4-2-details/

quote:

GENERAL
Fixed an issue where aim assist would not function as intended when firing lasers at a player who is drifting.

CUSTOM GAMES
Fixed an issue where music would overlap for a spectator in Custom Games
Fixed an issue where the Flagship’s health and shields would not display correctly on the tactical map.

SOCIAL
Fixed an issue where text chat could stop functioning when using a controller.

STARFIGHTERS & COMPONENTS

The TIE defender’s Concussion Missile cooldown has been increased from 2.3 seconds to 6 seconds.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I played earlier and found it easier to hit drifting players and harder to drift to avoid getting hit. Also in general auto aim and hit reg felt better.

Drifting is still super important for like everything all the time, but at least now it doesn't grant invulnerability

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Hell yeah, very happy to see these fixes without additional balance changes on top to complicate things. We'll have to see how the drift change works out. TIE Defenders definitely, and righteously, are catching the brunt of the blow though.

plester1 posted:

I guess you’re talking fleet battles if you’re dropping subsystems. I’ve personally had nearly even rates with both factions, but I’m paying attention to game wins, not kills/deaths.

Do you ever play objective or support? Maybe you’re getting matched weirdly if you are only playing certain roles.

I use K/D because I main interceptor, which is a role focused on disrupting and killing the enemy squadron. It's an oversimplification, since the game doesn't and can't track times that a player forces an enemy to abort what they're doing without killing them outright, but it's still a useful metric for that specific role. And yes, I play other roles at times (my most played Imp ship is the Reaper), but I am not ever going to be as good at them as I am at my main role and they don't exert as much control over a soloqueue game. And, similarly, I will never be as effective on my main role on the Imp side (or any role save support) because I get huge mileage out of bubble canopies.

I'm not looking for a solution, I'm bemused at the matchmaking algorithm that doesn't seem to handle my case very well. I'm also wishing for better stat tracking so that I could verify whether or not my impressions are backed up by data.

Eejit posted:

At the top level, imps have a decided edge because shunting.

Top players generally play pancake. Even the ones who have VR equipment often opt not to use it because (according to one on stream during the Ace Open) pancake is less fatiguing while grinding long sessions or long tournaments. Which is entirely reasonable; I rarely manage more than an hour at a time.

I was also curious and took a quick look through the Cal Cup second day footage and factional winrate on stream was as equal as it could get, so if Imps have an advantage then it isn't a big one - and tournament teams were leaning really heavily on Defenders, which just ate a significant nerf.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 19, 2021

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

I just picked this game up and I've been loving it. Had some great matches already. I've been cleaning up with the Y-Wing. Rotary cannon goes brrrrrr

Same here. Shields make for a more forgiving playstyle, bomber role gives you a clear objective, and the rotary cannon goes very brrrrrrrr

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

As one of the 35+ year-olds who grew up obsessively playing X-Wing as a kid, I've been extremely hyped about this. My wife got it for me for Christmas and I've had fun playing the first tutorial levels.

But, I keep hearing that the only real way to recapture that X-Wing feeling is to play with a joystick (and VR). Except no joysticks are on the market because of the release of Flight Simulator. Is that correct, and am I better off waiting for them to come back, or should I spend 60 bucks on a 3d printed stick set from Etsy?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hazo posted:

As one of the 35+ year-olds who grew up obsessively playing X-Wing as a kid, I've been extremely hyped about this. My wife got it for me for Christmas and I've had fun playing the first tutorial levels.

But, I keep hearing that the only real way to recapture that X-Wing feeling is to play with a joystick (and VR). Except no joysticks are on the market because of the release of Flight Simulator. Is that correct, and am I better off waiting for them to come back, or should I spend 60 bucks on a 3d printed stick set from Etsy?

Playing with a joystick is cool and playing in VR is incredible, but the game plays just fine with a gamepad; you have pretty heavy aim assist in this game, so it's not like the old games where you needed the fine control of either the mouse or a joystick. High-level play gets some specific benefits from joysticks with macros and easier access to simultaneous functions and poo poo, but the vast majority of people playing this game (especially on console) are using a gamepad.

The 3D printed things look neat, but you need frequent access to your face buttons and D-pad in this game for targeting, systems power, etc. so I wouldn't bother with those.

As long as you're having fun, that's what matters. You can always replay it in the future once joystick prices are normal again.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hazo posted:

That 3D printed thing may be fine for a relaxed game like Flight Sim, but won't do for a more action-oriented game like Squadrons.

Order a real stick somewhere, even if it takes a few months to arrive.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hazo posted:

I'm no pro by any means but honestly an xbox controller has been absolutely fine for me. I usually suck, but it's not because of my controller lol

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Several of the best players use controller. Others use HOTAS. It honestly doesn't matter

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I was a huge TIE Fighter fan back in the day and I’m playing this on an Xbox 360 controller. You definitely don’t NEED VR or a joystick but they would be cool to have. Game is awesome either way

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Thanks gang. I kind of thought the same thing-- the sticks are nice but there are too many functions for which you need the game pad. I just want to get back that old X-wing experience with my 2-button joystick and a keyboard in my grandparents' basement :sigh:

I'll probably just use my Christmas bonus on a PS VR and keep my eyes open for a HOTAS stick.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I started with a HOTAS, but the games huge deadzone issues turned me off it and I've been using a controller ever since. Supposedly those issues were patched, though I haven't tried it since. I also get bad RSI with a stick so I've not gone back.

Now after putting many hours into the game I think I'd only want the HOTAS for extra buttons for advanced tactics - i.e it'd be nice to have a fast way to switch shield direction, or overcharge lasers. On the controller these require you to hold a button down and push a direction, which generally means you lose half a second of manouvereability when tracking a target. My HOTAS doesn't have enough buttons for that though.

Immersion factor in VR is incredible, but it is a tall ask both for the headset costs and the PC hardware needed to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Isometric Bacon posted:

I started with a HOTAS, but the games huge deadzone issues turned me off it and I've been using a controller ever since. Supposedly those issues were patched, though I haven't tried it since. I also get bad RSI with a stick so I've not gone back.

Confirmed, the deadzone bug was 100% fixed. They'd accidentally hard-coded a 20% deadzone on the X/Y axes, which is gone now.

Fun fact: that bug only affected the X/Y axes, not any others, so the pre-patch workaround was to use profiling software to map some other axes (such as X-Rotate and Y-Rotate) to your physical X/Y axes, so that the game would think see your stick as X-Rotate and Y-Rotate (or whatever else) instead of as X and Y. You could then map X-Rotate and Y-Rotate to your ship controls, and everything would work fine. :pcgaming: