Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Alright, I have no shame anymore. I want to join an RP clan (New Republic only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TK-42-1 posted:

Shunting power around was such a good gimmick tho. I can understand how they're balancing it but it'll still be missed.

Even Totally Games knew how broken it was when they put the SLAM system into the Missile Boat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drone posted:

Alright, I have no shame anymore. I want to join an RP clan (New Republic only).

I got you fam

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is there an option in game to broadcast voice to the other team, so that I can give some good death screams as my ship goes down

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Wilhelm scream or gtfo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there an option in game to broadcast voice to the other team, so that I can give some good death screams as my ship goes down

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
That's a great idea, I'd love to have a two-second period when you blow up that your voice is broadcast to all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want the Y-Wing pilot from Jedi who screams "I'm hiiiiiiit!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Is it sad I am gonna get this for PS4, cause I don't have a decent joystick or HOTAS?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is it sad I am gonna get this for PS4, cause I don't have a decent joystick or HOTAS?

If that’s the only reason you’re going for ps4 over pc then maybe?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

He was my rebel spirit animal

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn’t one of those pilots actually a woman dubbed with a mans voice?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

SabinBlitz posted:

sure was

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/see-3-female-fighter-pilots-who-got-cut-from-return-of-the-jedi

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cobbsprite posted:

That's a great idea, I'd love to have a two-second period when you blow up that your voice is broadcast to all.

i just want my goon pilot to try maker jerk off sounds as their death scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHq35K9xojQ

or this.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SabinBlitz posted:

Yes, they chickened out on having gender-integrated pilots during post. There were a couple of women screen-tested for fighter pilots, the footage is out there on YouTube somewhere.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why wouldn't you just plug your ps4 controller into your pc

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Plugged in my Thrustmaster yesterday, blinged out a Steam copy of X-Wing with some of the "make this thing look good on a modern system" tweaks, and played it for like two hours last night.

To my great shame, I never actually really played X-Wing or TIE Fighter back in the day, and I can say that this experience definitely holds up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've been playing X-Wing Alliance again with the fancy graphics mods to get myself hype for Squadrons and I've found that anything with a laser turret rips me in half. Apparently I am Bad At Games now. :corsair:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

howe_sam posted:

I've been playing X-Wing Alliance again with the fancy graphics mods to get myself hype for Squadrons and I've found that anything with a laser turret rips me in half. Apparently I am Bad At Games now. :corsair:

laser turrets were always huge assholes (which is why i was excited to see it as an item in squadrons :v:), I remember that mission in tie fighter where you have to take out a whole minefield of them in an unshielded tie....

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Tom Guycot posted:

laser turrets were always huge assholes (which is why i was excited to see it as an item in squadrons :v:), I remember that mission in tie fighter where you have to take out a whole minefield of them in an unshielded tie....

I died so many times on that mission as a kid back in 99’...

I tried to do it again as a grown adult in his 30’s and gently caress that poo poo. How did I ever get past that???

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

SabinBlitz posted:

I died so many times on that mission as a kid back in 99’...

I tried to do it again as a grown adult in his 30’s and gently caress that poo poo. How did I ever get past that???

Isn't that the one where the Imperial traitors are trying to get you killed and the secret order guys come and save you?

I didn't think you had to actually had to clear the minefield?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can kill your wingmates off the bat with a pair of quad shots before they aggro you and then take potshots at the minefield to complete the objectives.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You don’t have to. It’s a trap. They uh, are trying to kill you.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

I was 11 when I first played it. I must have been a literal God Ace because I remember killing the mines, then the ties, then trying to survive the poo poo storm afterwards. I did it over and over and over until I finally cleared it with red hull and all components busted

It never occurred to me to kill the wingmen first.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

Plugged in my Thrustmaster yesterday, blinged out a Steam copy of X-Wing with some of the "make this thing look good on a modern system" tweaks, and played it for like two hours last night.

To my great shame, I never actually really played X-Wing or TIE Fighter back in the day, and I can say that this experience definitely holds up.

I played through the Balance of Power campaign a few weeks back and it is way, way harder than I remember. I'm struggling right now to remember all my fancy mappings on my X52 and I keep getting blasted out of the sky as I forget which button is shield redirect, countermeasure, etc.

howe_sam posted:

FYI the fancy graphics mods for XWA make laser turrets far more accurate and deadly, to the point where if you need to do a bombing run you should turn off your targeting computer :v: and dumb fire your payload. If you don't the capital ship turrets will be able to target and shoot down your torpedoes.

Tom Guycot posted:

"ALPHA 1 IS THE EMPEROR'S STOOL PIGEON"

And if you kill the wingmen before they fire on you:

"Ah looks like Alpha 1 doesn't play nice with others"

The only objective you actually need to complete in that mission is inspecting the shuttle that Harkov's officers are on and actually landing in the Modified Frigate Osprey so you don't die. Everything else is optional.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 18, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The main thing I remember about that mission was the briefing where you can talk to the secret objectives guy and he just says something along the lines of "This mission seems fishy :thunk:"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hobbesmaster posted:

The main thing I remember about that mission was the briefing where you can talk to the secret objectives guy and he just says something along the lines of "This mission seems fishy :thunk:"

“...We’re just gonna be on standby. Keep me on speed dial.”

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

axeil posted:

FYI the fancy graphics mods for XWA make laser turrets far more accurate and deadly, to the point where if you need to do a bombing run you should turn off your targeting computer :v: and dumb fire your payload. If you don't the capital ship turrets will be able to target and shoot down your torpedoes.
I loving knew it!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

Sounds like you're the emperor's stool pigeon tbh

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

axeil posted:

Yeah. I've been playing through X Wing Alliance in VR and some of the missions are unplayable given these weird tweaks.

I must have gone through the one where you need to disable the dreadnaught so it can be boarded about 5 times before I looked it up and realise the balance was entirely off.

I'm not exactly sure why they made those changes... I get the impression the modellers thought it was cooler / more screen accurate to add a bazillion laser turrets to the models without considering how it might break the game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I started playing Alliance again and I will always get a kick out of Emon's accent. Also the email messages are pretty cute.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

axeil posted:

Speaking as someone who played an unknown few thousand hours of that game when it came out as a kid decades ago, patched and not, that behavior has nothing to do with graphics mods. Torpedoes, bombs, and missiles fired at turreted ships when locked on get shot down much like any other target that doesn't evade fire gets shot down. YT freighter turrets when set on autonomous mode also do this. :eng101:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I’ve got a thrustmaster hotas x, but I’m considering an upgrade to an x52 for this. Does anyone have experience of both to say if it’s much of an upgrade?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

PunkBoy posted:

I started playing Alliance again and I will always get a kick out of Emon's accent. Also the email messages are pretty cute.

"Not today bootlicker."

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

OhFunny posted:

"Not today bootlicker."

I love the difference between cutscene Emon and mission Emon in that. Mission Emon almost bites the line out in anger which is a perfect fit for the circumstances, and cutscene Emon is full-heroic neener neener eat a weiner mode which is a good callback to a cool moment.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

axeil posted:

As someone else said, this is the case in vanilla XWA. The only thing some of the mods might change is giving the capital ships more turrets. Dumb-firing before veering off is still a good idea as capital ships can't target dumb-fired missiles.

I've been playing XWA recently as well and some of the missions are incredibly annoying. I had to skip the Tydirium mission because the mission wouldn't advance. The commandos get in the shuttle and just sit there, the starfighter reinforcements don't actually hyper in either. I'm really looking forward to Squadrons and hoping the single-player isn't EA's usual phoning it again garbage.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I’ve got a thrustmaster hotas x, but I’m considering an upgrade to an x52 for this. Does anyone have experience of both to say if it’s much of an upgrade?

Same but I have no hotas and I want to pick up a T.Flight Hotas X on the cheap-ish. I don't want to invest all my money in a high end stick if I end up not digging it. Is the Hotas X good enough for a starter or is it going to be jitter city and LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE? Obviously we can't tell yet for Squadrons specifically but I I also intend to use it for Ace Combat, Flight Simulator, etc.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

For the price of an x52 you may as well spend another 40$ and get a VKB NXT.

No separate throttle, but the stick itself will be much better.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The HOTAS-X is absolute trash and I would rather use a keyboard. Do not buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Like, HOTAS-X makes me mad because it's so lovely that it gives the impression that flight sims are super difficult and planes are frustrating and janky. Then you use a decent joystick and it's like, "oh, flying is actually pretty simple and that stick was just awful."