Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos Star Destroyers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Seriously though 5v5 better not be the biggest mode for real.

Come on, dawg.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

But i doubt the player count will get higher even with the big fleet battles.

Why? The Battlefront 2 starfighters mode is 12v12 (humans, bots are on top of that) and spaceships were basically a secondary mode in that game. There is no reason they couldn't do much more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SeXReX posted:

Waiting for a big lobby to fill up and then dying early in the round so you can start waiting again sure sounds like a real good time

???

I really would not imagine that they are going to do single-life rounds. I mean it's not impossible, but I'd rate it almost a given that you will be dying and respawning. If they do single-spawns surely it will be only for a specific "competitive" mode.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hadlock posted:

At least with FPS shooters you have ground, which allows for a map. Space battles might have a blurry planet in the background, and, I guess this one might actually have an asteroid field, but there's not a lot there to create variation besides how many and how far apart the capital ships are.

Eh, Battlefront 2 did a good job with space "maps". Use bigass stations, huge capital ships, and debris as "terrain" with the occasional planetside map. Only one of the six maps felt like it was really just "open space" and that was D'Qar. If they're smart they can do the same thing here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Show me your racks, EA!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Symetrique posted:

Hoping for a BFV scenario where Ties are deployed from from a Republic cruiser.

I was thinking stormtroopers piling out of a U-Wing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

And I imagine that when que up for a game, if you select Empire you'll have to wait forever because every chud will insist on only playing Empire.

You're being silly and hyperbolic for two reasons.

1) Real world politics do not transfer to star war in any coherent way among fans. Everyday folk of all demographics love Darth Vader and storm troopers and it isn't because they yearning for the Fourth Reich. A chud or whatever you imagine a chud to be is just as likely to be attracted to "rebel against the government!" as they would be "beat up SJWs!" or whatever poo poo you think the two sides represent. Trying to derive people's IRL political beliefs based on their choice of Empire/Rebels from star war is a fool's errand based on nonsense.

2) You probably will not choose your faction as part of multiplayer anyway. In general very few games do this (as it relates to teams within a match, meta-systems are different) and I see no reason why it would be the case here. They are clearly going for close analogues with the four available ship types, probably specifically so both sides are equally balanced and faction has limited impact beyond aesthetics. I feel confident in saying right now that if there is any faction choice it will be a soft preference that is quickly overridden if needed to make a match. They will not prevent matches from starting because too many people want to be one side or the other. Just no way.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 17, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Small scale is fine I'm just thinking they should have a 5v5 and a big mode and if they don't have both that would be a real shame. In a frickin game dedicated solely to space combat there should be room for both!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hadlock posted:

Have you seen the battlefront thread

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sekenr posted:

If they are indeed going for unshielded TIE fighter and Interceptor, I'm curious how will they implement 5 vs 5 without TIEs being outright worse. I still remember from TIE fighter that your basic tie can withstand exactly 1 shot and the second shot will assplode you.

The thing about star wars is that the lore regarding fighters is fundamentally incompatible with a good, balanced video game unless you're willing to balance by numbers (as in, different numbers of players per team) which is something approximately 0% of developers are willing to touch with a 50' pole outside of "hunter" games like Evolve or Dead by Daylight.

Almost certainly one of three things will happen...

A) The Battlefront 2 method: there is no functional difference between hull and shields, it's just flavor. TIEs will just have a big pool of hull points, rebel fighters will have hull + shields that work out to about the same total hit points. Hull and shields both regenerate/repair as if they were the same thing.

B) They will just give TIEs shields anyway. Almost certainly TIEs will have will have missiles/torpedoes even though lore says the shouldn't (at least for standard ties/interceptors), so why not extend that to shields if you're already breaking lore. Possibly instead they'll just come up with some very stretched alternative technobabble for why they have shields that totally aren't shields.

C) The Battlefront 1 method: neither side will really have "shields" as a pool of hit points. Shields will be a special ability for rebel fighters that confer temporary protection or other benefit when activated.

Basically, according to lore TIE fighters are lovely and rebel fighters are not. In lore rebel fighters have shields, astromechs, missiles/torpedoes, and hyperdrives. Also in lore, TIEs have zero of those things except for bombers which at least get the munitions.This kind of extreme discrepancy is not compatible with a good video game, at least for multiplayer, so the lore will give. It always has (and that's fine).

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 17, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ties have never really been lovely. They're fast, well armed and there's lots of them.

They're fast... I guess, although they aren't really shown being identifiable faster than rebel fighters in the movies (if "look at the movies" is your argument). But I'm kinda scratching my head at the other two.

Well armed? In non-video game lore TIE fighters and interceptors have two or four lasers, so the same as their rebel counterparts. But they have no missiles or torpedoes, which all rebel fighters do. So unless we imagine based on nothing that their lasers are better than rebel lasers in some way, they are less armed. The bombers have more weapons, of course they do, but nothing really implies they are more or less armed than Y-wings.

And "lots of them" does not make them less lovely. In fact it implies the opposite, that they have to compensate for lower quality by fielding greater numbers.

Maybe saying "they are lovely" is a lot but imo just a basic assessment of "these are the features of the ships" strongly implies that rebel fighters are generally better on a 1-1 basis. I don't see how you can compare "X-wing has lasers, torpedoes, shields, and hyperdrive" to "TIE has lasers... and supposedly is a little faster" and think they are equivalent. That's why games always have to give TIE a bunch of extra stuff if you are expected to actually play as them. Or in the case of the actual "TIE Fighter" game, make it the lovely starter ship you fly for your early missions before you get to use the cool ships.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well then maybe a better comparison would be a Zaku against a GM in Gundam? The GM is a superior machine in armament and armour but still took heavy casualties against Zaku pilots whose suits were outdated by December.

My point is that you really can't dismiss the tie fighter out of hand even when it comes to game balance.

Oh my god lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alchenar posted:

Real talk for a moment: in X-wing v Tie Fighter there was an immediate obvious disadvantage to not having a shield, which was that attempting a head on attack was obvious suicide. Given that's literally the default starting engagement the Imperial ships have to be broadly as durable as the Rebel ships or the game is going to be extremely one sided.

Excuse but are you familiar with Gundam Tactics in the December War?????

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

piL posted:

Your dumb space ships have wings. You know. For lift. To cause unequal distribution of a fluid and manipulate the force the fluid exerts. In space.

:colbert:

piL posted:

There are so many millions of ways to balance around a potential asymmetry and the information about this game is a nothing sandwich and you only care because some movies you liked as a kid shared an art style with them.

:colbert:

piL posted:

I'll probably preorder.

:mmmhmm:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A Z-95 in the streets and a T-70 in the sheets.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tom Guycot posted:

My guess is they balance it in almost a starcraft way. TIE hulls will be stronger, but don't regenerate, and rebel hulls will be weaker but half their hit points are in shields that recharge, like the protoss. So overall an equivalent ship of each side has the same 'hit points' it just depends how they're distributed, and maybe shields are weaker than hull points but make up for it by being able to recharge and be buffed by diverting power to them.

That's not how starcraft was balanced at all!

Protoss had more health and shields. Most of the time just their health or shield was higher than the health of a comparable terran unit. A single marine is vastly inferior to a single zealot, but let's compare two marines to one zealot so it's 100 minerals either way. Two marines have a combined 100 health and do 12 damage. The Zealot has 100 health, 60 shield, and does 16 damage.

By the numbers, Protoss units are comically superior to Terran and Zerg even when weighted by resource cost. But of course, there are many other factors not accounted for in the numbers. Range, bottlenecks, tactical flexibility. Those factors are what bring balance to the very unbalanced units of Starcraft.

Suffice to say, I very much doubt many of those factors can apply to a space dogfight game. There are no melee units in space, and essentially bottlenecks. Many of the mechanisms simply don't exist, so the craft will probably have to be closer in physical stats.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BigglesSWE posted:

Lest we forget our hero:

He's hit :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I foresee myself playing this video game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm really curious how the control options are going to shake out in the multiplayer. To my knowledge, basically every game out there that supports HOTAS are either single player games or games like Elite where there technically is PvP but it's not the focus of the game and not considered a balanced experience anyway.

Does anyone have experience with a PvP game that allows but does not require sticks/HOTAS? It seems to me like it would be just like the old M+KB vs Gamepad conundrum except I don't know which would be better. I just imagine that between a stick/HOTAS and a gamepad surely one must be better from a competitive perspective. Or is that not the case?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
From the Polygon interview:

quote:

Another reason to max power to engines — not just put a few pips in it, but max it — is that when it’s maxed it builds like a boost charge, and that is a finite amount of crazy superspeed. And you can’t turn very well when you’re doing that. You can a little, but it’s really meant for forward blasting. Every dogfighting game has the problem of the death loop. You get stuck in the loop. They’re chasing you, you’re chasing them, and you can never escape. So part of why we have this boost is to resolve that problem — in addition to getting my throttle dead center, and having power to engines helps me turn.

On top of that, if you boost you can then cut off the boost kind of mid-stream. That shuts off your engines completely, so you have a brief moment of drift where you can whip around in a 180 and shoot at them. Or do whatever you want! Change course and hit boost again, if you have more juice left. So there’s stuff like that we’ve tried to do to take it beyond just the core World War II feeling, but to give it something a little special on top.

This is a smarter thought process than 90% of the clowns in game development today are capable of. Seems like a smart team.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Just Chamber posted:

Also is there any indication that mp will have a battlefront like system of levelling your ships weapons, abilities etc? Because it's just not fun when you go into a server and someone is just laying waste because their ship has 15% extra laser damage and 20% faster engines.

Unclear. They have said that you can unlock options and upgrades.A lot of people have extrapolated this to mean that yes, there are power upgrades in MP you have to earn. But it could just be a single player thing, because power upgrades in a campaigns are pretty normal. It hasn't been explicitly explained.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Red Rox posted:

Is the SLAM engine for sick handbrake turns? Cool.

Jumping to lightspeed to SLAM whale.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eej posted:

I wouldn't raise your hopes up for an in depth single player experience. It's a 40 dollar game.

I mean I'm not saying your wrong about the experience, but the price tag is not the proof. Being $40 doesn't mean the SP experience will be shallow any more than it means the game will be shallow in general. Most of the best games I've played were $40 or less.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This is a woman actor who was dubbed.

You know I thought I the picture looked like a woman. But I didn't want to assume people's things and the voice was clearly masculine. Interesting bit of trivia. I wonder why they dubbed it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
GALACTIC CONQUEST

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just OT era is fine, but sure Clone Wars would be fun to have if you're making a dream list.

Really no value in adding the sequel trilogy though lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a cloud car bespin level. v wing airspeeders (canon?) vs cloud cars. why do I still have all this star wars lore in my head

Battlefront the first/third had something close. On the Bespin level for Fighter Squadron both sides could choose a cloud car instead of their team's usual fighters if they wanted. Appropriately, almost nobody ever did because the cloud car was an enormous piece of poo poo and basically a death trap.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Alphabet Squadron: the Star Wars reader for kids!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TK-42-1 posted:

Thing is that all 5 can run x-wings if the situation allows it so all the mixed squad stuff is really dependent on your teammates more than any sort of doctrine or whatever you want to apply to it. I wouldn’t be surprised if premades of 4 intys in a fist with a support boat behind them is dominant.

5 Y-wings or bust.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NtotheTC posted:

real pilots used the broadside edge of star destroyers as their trench run :smug:

Fond memories of being 20 minutes into a mission, suddenly explodeding even though I was at full strength, then realizing it was a stray turbolaser shot between cap ships.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shine posted:

His name was PORKINS because he was FAT lmao

It's like poetry.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Statutory Ape posted:

"with teh blast shield on i cant see a thing!"

"turn on ur monitor lol"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Rogue One.

It's good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NtotheTC posted:

Lest we forget Wedge also hosed a bird monster girl

drat he's even cooler now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tirranek posted:

Definitely going Y-Wing to mask my crap piloting skills, and shoot at something impossible to miss.

This is an understandable but misguided idea. It's a trap. You'll only be even worse off over time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To be fair, Assault Gunboat(gunship?) is a terrible name. I’d like to see the old ship come back, but it definitely needs a better name.

rear end Boat

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you can bounce off a supernova, you can bounce off a Star Destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RFC2324 posted:

No, but if you like role-playing as the empire, and undeniably fash organization, you might.

Fake edit: I love the empire's aesthetic, and usually chose to play them over rebel for that reason, but it bears awareness that it attracts the wrong sort

Ok thanks but so far you're the only person to play this angle. So do we really need to bring this garbage into a thread about flying spaceships?