Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

B-wing or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gamespot have an article up with some details from a press release.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-squadrons-revealed-with-crossplay-single/1100-6478468/

quote:

Squadrons will feature "rich" cosmetic and game-affecting customization options. Players will earn these cosmetics through gameplay exclusively, EA said.

Hmm.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hopefully they make your pitching up slightly faster than your pitching down, to subtly encourage players to do this rather than just dive:

IIRC the reason they do this in the movies is because Spitfire engines would crap out in negative-G maneuvers, and a lot of these scenes are copy-pasted from old WWII movies

I wish this gif looped smoothly.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My favourite craft in X-wing was the B-wing solely for what to kid me felt like a stupidly large torpedo complement that let me nuke stuff with reckless abandon. So as long as I can do a good missile boat loadout on a Y-wing or U-wing, I guess I'll be fine.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Washin Tong posted:

Aren't the Hotas One and Hotas 4 basically the same stick with minor improvements? Reddit says that the newer models don't have the terrible deadzone the X has (that you can config away anyway), but are they more precise as well? Should we be wary of those too?

I picked up a Hotas 4 and it seems fine for the price, doesn't seem to have a terrible deadzone or anything but my last two sticks were "Quickshot" followed by "Sidewinder Precision Pro" so I'm not exactly up to date with high quality sticks.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That guy subscribes to CinemaSins

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Haven't watched the prologue video because I want to go in blind but if the Rebel training starts off with anything other than "Red One will drop into an Imperial training area in the Senex System" then I want no part of it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jumped in to a Dogfight as a Y-Wing and was repeatedly loving owned by a dude in a TIE Interceptor.

The HOTAS deadzone issue wasn't helping me but I think the bigger, sadly far harder to correct issue is that I suck poo poo. :haw:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Initial thoughts from the couple of games I've played, all as Rebels;

A-wings seem stupidly strong compared to the other ship classes. I was playing as a Y-wing, got frustrated, switched to the A-wing and got a 5 kill streak instantly and it felt pretty much effortless.

I want to like flying an X-wing more than I do; at the moment playing as one, the entire time all I can think is "why aren't I just flying the A-wing instead?"

I've had some success as a Y-wing taking out enemies dumb enough to cluster together, but I also seem to be made of wet tissue paper if an interceptor or fighter gets behind me. Be interested to see this get to shine a bit more in fleet battles mode taking out capital ships.

Without a team to co-ordinate with, the U-wing feels like a clunkier, less effective Y-wing but I think there might be some surprisingly vicious loadouts possible there and I want to play around with it once I have some more requisition to throw on unlocks.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Really can't decide if I want twist to roll or twist to yaw, keep playing around with controls and feel like I've almost, almost got them configured to how I want them but not quite. Might try roll on my throttle rocker switch and pitch/yaw on my stick next, think from memory that's probably closest to the old layout I had playing X-wing where I'd generally have pitch/yaw on stick and would hold down a button to roll instead of yaw.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I wonder if they could accommodate oft-requested ships just as skins of some kind. Slap a Z-95 skin on that X-wing, B-wing over the U-wing or Y-wing, etc etc.
Of course, then there's the hitbox issue and ensuring that's balanced but still, seems like a good way around it potentially.

I just really, really want a B-wing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Given the amount of complaining I've seen from adherents of both sides that the other is OP, I'd say balance is probably pretty close to right and just needs tiny tweaks.
Rotary cannon does seem a little overtuned, and the rapid fire cannon seems very weak for the range and magazine sacrifices you make picking it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The most dangerous thing this game does is make me want to play X-wing miniatures game again even though I gave away all my stuff for it ages ago.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My expectation going in was that I would love the TIE Interceptor because it's one of the coolest ships ever but no turns out TIE Fighter w/ Ion Missiles is stupidly fun and now I find flying a squint lacking.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This patch appears to have corrected both my HOTAS and VR issues so was able to play some dogfights in VR (I've mostly been playing flatscreen). It's been great. Now my only problem is that I am Bad At Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Extremely overjoyed for the B-wing and plan to fly it zealously no matter what, probably to the detriment of anyone I'm teamed with.

Custom games, that's cool too I guess.