Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

PunkBoy posted:

Some quick observations I picked up:

1:08 - I don't recall sustained energy beams being used as a starship weapon besides the Death Star (and various knockoffs), so it's interesting to see it being used by the TIE Bombers. Actually, the only time I recall seeing it was during the B-Wing episode of Rebels, so I wonder if the we're going to find out that the Rebels stole that tech for their own bomber.

I’d bet it’s the same tech that’s on LAAT gunships from the Clone Wars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

jarlywarly posted:

Seems unlikely that they would be able to control servers by control scheme on PC.

The problem is they probably have to support mouse/keyboard as that is the default controller that a PC has, but most implementations of mouse/keyboard flight controls that are direct control and not "virtual joysticks" are just better than joysticks or controllers, especially in games that allow circle strafing.

There's a similar balance issue with VR as well, are there going to be VR only servers because VR people will have some advantages (also some disadvantages as well) the cross play stuff and balance for MP in these kinds of games is always interesting to me.

I’m pretty sure on Modern Warfare when crossplay is on you can filter what control schemes you’re playing against so that console players only match with pc players who are using controllers. Shouldn’t be hard to implement in theory.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Man for a sketch they got the pilot comms distortion perfect. That's one of my favourite touches in the original Star Wars sound design that I feel they didn't do in any others afterwards.

In my ideal world a game like this would filter audio like that based on distance.

Though blah blah distortion from around being the otherwise of yavin, whatever the excuse, it just sounded cool.

One of my favorite parts of the Battlestar reboot is they basically said “yeah we just blatantly copied how the comms sounded in A New Hope because it rules”

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Really the only good space battle since Attack of the Clones has been from Rogue One. ROTS-TROS have had trash space fighting. I do think that Last Jedi’s limited space battles were still better than what was in the Abrams movies.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I absolutely hated the bit during TFA when Poe was just doing loopdeloops taking out 20-something TIEs. It just felt so fake especially with how it was shot. Dude is zipping all over the place in a 1km cube

Thank you. This is my problem with a lot of the sequel trilogy dogfights. Poe is just too goddamn ridiculous and it gets boring. Even Anakin, the goddamn CHOSEN ONE wasn't as op as Poe.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Auralnauts Star Wars music is top tier dogfighting music.
“Baby I’m in the Zone!”

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Gungan, Ewok, and Horse pilots when?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It looks like my local gamestops have thrustmaster hotas ones in stock. Is this a decent stick or am i better off saving money and fumbling with a regular xbone controller?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Was handling myself ok the last two nights with a controller. Got my hotas today and having never used one before, I'm completely useless. Totally worth it though, just need some practice. The few moments where it's clicking feel loving amazing. Can't even imagine how cool the vr experience is.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Shine posted:

There is currently a bug with flight sticks that hard-codes a 20% deadzone on the X/Y axes, but there's a workaround: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post508552938

This is why this game is great, despite the bugs and weird poo poo. I was flying the Interceptor earlier and had several particularly satisfying kills against some A-Wings, and my wife said I was "laughing sinisterly." I've not had a game make me emote like this since Echo Arena.

I'm on xbox so I think I'm stuck with whatever is going on with the deadzones until it's patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I kinda fell off the game for a bit and haven't kept up with the thread, but want to jump back in now that I've got my fancy series x. What are the optimal loadout right now? I feel like I'm probably hindering myself with my current setups.