Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rogue One must drive you crazy. Or Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with acclamators and venators having landing struts.

Going by the old lore it's specifically Imperial-class Star Destroyers and up, due to size. They're effectively twice the length of a Victory and half again as long as a Venator, and the mass difference is obviously far more than that. So it was more a matter of at some point they're exceeding the tech limitations for reasonably operating it in-atmo, rather than it being impossible period. There's still the exception of Lusankya, but I'd guess people like to ignore that due to just how many other dumb issues come up when considering that.

I don't particularly care about this, but even if you're annoyed about it the lore issue was never EVERY star destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The less said about the ending sequence entirety of RoS, the better.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TIE Fighters were rather more maneuverable and faster than an X-Wing, it's just they sacrificed durability to do so. Which means pilots who make mistakes in combat just tend to die, rather than having a decent chance to survive and learn, and also never gain the experience necessary to actually use it to its full potential. Skilled pilots in even basic TIE Fighters, let alone an Interceptor or something, are incredibly dangerous.

The Rebels, with a lack of manpower, were willing to pay a premium on the fighter more likely to keep their pilots alive and able to learn. The Empire, with a huge surplus of manpower but a massive empire to patrol, went with the cheaper fighter they could mass-produce easily, as they didn't really care about manpower losses - you either died, or you proved yourself skilled enough to be granted more expensive equipment.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I just find the E-Wing to be such a derpy design. For me at least it'd look better if it was a belly cannon instead of a dorsal one, for instance - and at least that way I'd not also be wondering how sticking a brightly flashing cannon directly in the pilot's field of vision isn't liable to be incredibly distracting at the very least. Also just find the whole design look to be incredibly "meh" in general compared to most other Alliance/Imperial starfighters, but that's probably personal bias.

Less important design-wise, but looking at the specs it also brings up the question of where the hell is it fitting all those proton torpedoes? It has an internal complement of ~2.5x an X-Wing, and double that of a Y-Wing, despite being smaller than either (significantly so in the case of a Y-Wing).

edit: For those not actually aware of what an E-Wing is, here you go:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 20, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, we've known the design of the E-Wing for a LONG time. As far as I can tell, it was introduced in the same source it was first shown - the Dark Empire comics by Dark Horse Comics waaaay back in 1991/92. That puts it starting the same year as Heir to the Empire's release (and before the rest of that trilogy), so it predates the vast majority of the Legends books. And while someone at Lucasfilm certainly signed off on something regarding it, how much real influence they had on visual design over the comic book artists is probably debatable.

Stuff like that comment in Black Fleet Crisis is just the writers throwing shade in regards to how bad of a design it is - sure, it exists and is absolutely still being used... somewhere over there; here we're still using our good-looking upgraded iconics, thank you very much. Not like BFC actually has much shade to throw, but they're still right for ignoring that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always assumed it was kinda of chain reaction deal. like its not a straight shot into the core but it sets off a bunch of explosions that go into the core.

did he get shot down by the turrets or a tie fighter or what. like i just watched New hope again a couple days ago and i am not sure.

It was technically turret fire, but he was in deep trouble regardless. He's the one with the "I've got a problem here" line, as some sort of issue had developed with his X-Wing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, canonically his fighter basically took severe damage due to debris from a destroyed tower that seriously affected its handling. He thought the problem was less severe than it was, thus staying in the fight, but the damage very quickly caused him to drift over a turret emplacement instead of maneuvering around it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

No I mean, there's literally a carbon copy squadron in the NuCannon, formed by Wedge Antilles, which is made up of "washouts, burnouts, and capable freaks", called Phantom Squadron. :jerkbag:

The old EU had its problems, but the Imperial Remnant stretching the war out for decades was not among them. Wraith Squadron 4 Lyfe.

In complete fairness, for most of the EU the Remnant wasn't the actual threat, but rather random warlords popping up wherever - which could indeed get silly. And yet it STILL makes more sense than the "wraps up in a year" nonsense we've got now. The writers under Disney have made it pretty clear that they've got absolutely zero concept of the actual scale of a galactic conflict. Hell, even that would have been fine if they'd actually done something interesting with the future setting (so just quickly getting that period over with, even if it is silly, in order to move onto "30 years later").

But no, we got loving TLJ and ROS to utterly burn down every last ounce of goodwill. Note I don't consider TFA good either, and it was definitely a warning of just how badly mishandled the property was, but even with nonsense like Starkiller Base it could have been recoverable in the next one.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Since it really doesn't fit this section I'll not talk about anything else, but just the space battle parts of TLJ on their own would have been enough to somewhat sour me on the film even if there had been absolutely nothing else. They're just so complete and utter garbage that even ESB, with its near entire lack of space battles, is still better in that regard.

In terms of the space battles the movie aesthetic (and games, for that matter) have always been "WW2, BUT IN SPACE!!!" with you being able to literally parallel scenes from classics like The Dam Busters with portions of the DS1 trench run. This has never been a secret. But it always blended it with the space fantasy nature of Star Wars with that instead of just being a copy/paste. TLJ actually managed to horribly fail at accomplishing EITHER sense of this - the opening scene and those bombers are so amazingly stupid it's incredible at how badly it misses a WW2 or space fantasy aesthetic (WW2 heavy bombers were nowhere near as slow and lumbering compared to fighters as people seem to think, to say nothing of other issues with the scene), and then we get the chase scene, which makes very little sense in several ways when compared with what has been presented from just the other movies (let alone other sources), along with the loving arcing turbolaser fire. Hell, even ignoring all those aspects, the supposedly action-oriented part of the battle just plain wasn't entertaining.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

For the longest time in my childhood, ROTJ had the best space battle ever realized on screen and I'll always love it. I'm not sure if I can think of which film it was that finally topped it in the sense of a space battle.

I never saw solo or TROS, but the only one of the disney films I can really think of that stood out as far as space battles is rogue one, which had a fantastic space battle. Really loved rogue one. TFA I don't really recall anything memorable, and all I can remember of TLJ space battles was thinking the ww2 style bomber thing was a good idea, but it wasn't really shot in an interesting way that took advantage of the concept. Though, I dunno, I haven't seen either since they were in theaters.

One of the conceptual problems you're probably subconsciously running into is that the TLJ bombers aren't reminiscent of WW2 heavy bombers at all, because heavy bombers weren't actually that slow (as that'd be suicidal). Something like a B-17 had a cruising speed of roughly half that of its contemporary fighters, and could push up to about 2/3s their speed at max power. And cruising speed is for exactly that, cruising on the way to/from in order to save fuel - not generally for over the target, and particularly not when it's a few singular members without large formations. Something late war like a B-29 could actually push up to around the same speed as those early war fighters (and was faster than some).

What they're actually reminiscent of is WW1 zeppelins being used for bombing... except there's a reason that concept died out even before WW1 was over - their ONLY defenses were that they spent most of the war with a service ceiling high enough that they were virtually untouchable in the first place, and that they were large enough that they could absorb normal small caliber hits. The first part went away as fighter ceilings and AA gun range increased, and the second did due to the introduction of incendiary ammunition. Or in simpler terms, the concept died out as soon as AA guns started being able to reliably reach them.

So here you've got a piece of junk that has to be directly over its target to actually attack and so slow and cumbersome it can relatively easily be hit by main battery armaments... . Seriously, what the hell is its actual use supposed to be? They get easily shot down by a large ship that had its point defense crippled, they're complete overkill for a ground bombing mission, and lighter ships (assuming they can't also shoot them down) can just outrun them. Like, we're somehow supposed to sympathize with Holdo chewing out Dameron for losing them in a reckless plan, but what the hell is their non-suicidal use? Killing completely crippled ships that can't shoot back and have no fighter cover?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Some of these numbers do seem a bit odd, but we'll just have to see how they shake out in practice.

For example:

Tom Guycot posted:

Bomber weapons?

Okay, sure, you do the rapid tapping to drop all the bombs quickly, but it also lists an ammo capacity of only 5 bombs. There must be something else as a balancing factor, or some feature that hasn't been explained, given getting 4/5 proton bomb hits is just 10% more damage than a single proton torpedo hit. So given said bomber can also carry 5 torpedoes instead, that's nearly 4x the damage potential of the bombs while also presumably being safer to use. Maybe there are countermeasures you can use against guided weapons to protect cap ships too (instead of just yourself)? But they presumably can't be too easy to use or effective, or that just wrecks the viability of the guided weapons.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah that's what I was referencing when mentioning that you can possibly block them, but even the max ranges don't seem particularly long to begin with (1.5 km, compared to the 1 km range of dogfighting weapons) so unless they're pretty slow that doesn't seem to be all that much of a gap between launch and hitting in order to intervene if you weren't right there already. Particularly if the bomber gets down to near the minimum range.

But again, this is purely speculation regarding the numbers and their interaction with whatever countermeasures exist, and it's not like it'd be hard to tweak them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Madurai posted:

Meanwhile, the Rebel ion torpedo is three shots for six times the damage.

I'm not even bothering to try and figure out how ion damage works compared to normal damage, because its listed DPS numbers are ludicrously higher across the board. Going back to the bombs, the TIE Bomber ion bombs are the same listed damage as a proton torpedo, while having an ammo capacity of 10 as well (so 40,000 potential ion damage from a full bomb rack).

edit: Also, that's the torpedo off the Rebel support craft, rather than the bomber. So it's certainly possible that they get different versions - the 25 second cooldown on it is certainly a lot longer than the torpedo cooldown on the TIE bomber, for instance.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 22, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

While true, there's a massive difference between "life comes at you fast" and "a galactic polity that still massively outnumbers the insurgency completely collapses within a year." Given the sector authority setup of the Empire it splintering into factions is reasonable (warlords in Legends), at which point cleaning up a divided Empire is certain doable by a smaller force... but in a battlefield the size of a GALAXY it's sure as hell going to take more than a year.

For all the issues with Legends (and oh boy are there a lot), at least some of the writers seemed to have some idea of the scale of the conflict - something that's seemed completely lacking from virtually all the Disney stuff (all the material, this isn't specifically aimed at the movies).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So looking through my closet, I found a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro from a number of years ago. I assume that should probably be good for this, but am I drastically mistaken or the like?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mainly just seeing mentions of breaking sticks and the like over various pages, so trying to get a feel on whether it's considered a decently sturdy and responsive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, the EGS coupon doesn't work on preorders so you'll need to wait for the actual release. With that said, the preorder bonuses here aren't exactly huge so unless you desperately need the preload you're not losing much.