Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

jivjov posted:

Ewok pilot or bust. Yub yub commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Besides, I agree that it looks odd. It's just aping JJ Abrams obsession with things rising out of obscurity in his shots.

He relies on the same gimmicks over and over like he's the Thomas Kincade of movies

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't care about giant battles, it's too hard to tell what's going on and difficult to feel like you're making a difference. Give me a small number of comprehensibly scaled ships, like the backwater frigate you start out from in TIE Fighter.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Besides if we want to talk about the objectively best fighter it's the Tie Advanced/Avenger. But noooo, everyone wants to fly a Defender.

:agreed:

It's the best looking TIE, and it fits perfectly with technology upgrades to the Imperial Navy based on Vader's prototype without being overpowered like the TIE/D. I'm pissed that it hasn't been included in the new canon.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 18, 2020

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of weird that there hasn't been a game like this earlier (since the old Star Wars sims anyways). It seems like a space sim like this would be comparatively easy to make, since the physics involved should be much less complex than actual flight sims.

Everyone involved in space sims has spent the last few years ogling the Star Citizen train wreck

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ringo Star Get posted:

TIE Fighters are to save the Empire money - their manpower is unlimited, and so is their industrial base, so no need to waste money on hyperdrives, shields, armor - just swarm the enemy!

Rebel fighters are designed to save pilots since the Rebels don't have an unlimited pool of manpower, plus they need their ships to last as long as possible.

Also 90% of the time the Empire just has to swat armed shuttles and Sepan yokels.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

Wonder if anyone got Marik Steele

Love these Easter Eggs in any case. :3:

Knew what this was before I moused over it! If Hohass Ekwesh isn't a default name then I'm gonna be mad.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

I liked how it portrayed x-wings and TIEs as actually terrifying to small ground forces/stations. 3 xwings obliterated that space station and one TIE in the air was enough to be a "big bad" like the at-st.

Maybe it's mostly nostalgia from the old TIE Fighter game that couldn't run fast enough to display more than a few capital ships at a time, but I'm more interested in small fleet actions that just involve a couple of light cruisers (the campaign where you have to defend an interdictor from an MC40 and a Nebulon-B is pretty memorable). It's easier to see what's happening, and the stakes feel more comprehensible.

This fan film is a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PVDbT6zHs

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Shine posted:

The biggest issue with those titles (all versions) is joystick jitter. Apparently there's a bug in that game engine where moving a joystick on only the (I think) pitch axis makes the ship lose its poo poo and flip around instantly, and the devs worked around that by adding some intentional jitter to prevent you from moving only in that direction. I don't recall noticing that when I was a kid (probably because my joystick was cheap poo poo anyway), but it's super noticeable playing with my modern stick to the point of making TIE Fighter feel drat near unplayable with it. Trying to line up a shot on something flying directly away from you is very frustrating.

It would take a lot worse for me to give up the iMuse soundtrack. I always rationalized the jitter as the spaceships being hard to fly, whatever.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

axeil posted:

Just so folks know, there's a mod out there to restore the iMuse soundtrack to the 1998 version of TIE Fighter. It also enhances the concourse music and briefing dialog.

https://www.savingcontent.com/2014/10/29/tie-fighter-reconstructed-mod-for-gog-com-edition-released/

Woah, cool.

Does running the 1998 version in DOSBox on a fast CPU do something to missile tracking? Trying to dodge advanced missiles feels totally bullshit, though I'm probably worse at video games than when I was a kid.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Red Rox posted:

I’m ready to SLAM

request for reinforcements...denied

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Fuligin posted:

ive been deliberately starving myself of deets on squadrons but i can only assume that legendary jedi ace and known sex-haver Corran Horn is the player character

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

As a DOS TIE Fighter veteran, I jumped into SP on ace difficulty and was surprised at how tricky it was. I'm also dying a lot to collisions with friendly starfighters, which is very on-brand.

Star Destroyers actually seem scary, which was never the case through XWA.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You can tell the developers put a lot of love into this game, but it's still amazing how bad the dialogue is between missions. I guess that's Star Wars for ya

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

steering wheel or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Statutory Ape posted:

*whispers* ok its cool that you like Y-Wings but maybe let me handle the trash talking

:drat:

Spookydonut posted:

Also as much as yeah i have a problem with all the boosting around and really heavily scripted campaign missions and being unable to link/unlink lasers on the fly, I think for an EA game we are lucky its as good as it is and not some horrible arcade shooter.

It can only get better with patches and fan modding, I hope.

I get why they don't make games like TIE Fighter anymore, but I really miss the older style of mission pacing and being able to tell wtf is going on.