Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Seriously though 5v5 better not be the biggest mode for real.

Come on, dawg.

id be really surprised if there arent AI fighters alongside human players during matches. But i doubt the player count will get higher even with the big fleet battles. Guess we'll find out soon enough tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Why? The Battlefront 2 starfighters mode is 12v12 (humans, bots are on top of that) and spaceships were basically a secondary mode in that game. There is no reason they couldn't do much more.

mostly cause if they were gonna have more players in other modes, they would have advertised it as 12v12 with smaller 5v5 modes rather than saying its 5v5 from the get-go. Maybe they wanted to make sure that individual players would have an obvious impact on the battle but again, we will find out sooner or later. For the record, while i would like more players, i think a 5v5 fleet mode can be fun and chaotic if they handle it correctly

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i do hope that they go for asymmetrical matchups cause i think thats more interesting overall rather than xwing has 15% more health while tie fighter turns 10% faster or something like that. They can even give the imperial side like 3x as many AI ships to really drive home how its numbers vs quality or whatever

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i hope they add the other 2 trilogies to this game. Hopin for at least 30 ships total by the time its all said and done. I realize that this is a pipe dream tho

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

8 ships is kinda disappointing. Seems weird to have that many for a 10 player game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

anyone else running into an issue where they cant drift while boosting?

im playin on PC and using the dedicated keyboard button but it feels like ~15% of the time when i try to drift while boosting, the button will do nothing. Ive pulled off the drift dozens if not hundreds of times by now so i know how to do it normally but sometimes, even when im blasting at full speed drift, the button just wont initiate it. I have to exit the boost and restart it real quick to drift again. Now that I think about it, i believe this only happens when im flyin the normal tie. I use SLAM engines so idk if that has anything to do with it but its super annoying

other than that tho, i love flyin tie fighters. I actually keep power in weapons and then just constantly use the mousewheel to transfer the built up weapons energy to engines so i can boost all over the place. While boosting, make sure to keep power in weapons since im pretty sure that power no longer affects your top speed so you might as well build up weapon energy. when i stop boosting, i just transfer all remaining engine energy to weapons and thats usually enough to get me a lot of overcharge. It's pretty fun flyin all over the map like this. if you time it correctly you will never run out of boost and no one can catch you

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 8, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

today has been my 1st day of multiplayer and its been real fun and tense. Ive been sticking to normal tie fighter/xwing just to get used to the different rhythm of matches compared to the campaign. love all the maps except yavin and dashing in and out of debris and buildings is incredibly intense when its with another player

decided to do some fleet battles after a couple of dogfights since I had already done the tutorial and vs ai battles, so i was familiar with the mechanics. The main issue i had however was that i rarely had a full game; someone would always drop out during the lobby up part. my last game, my whole team dropped and 1 on the other dropped too. I figured i might as well try a tie interceptor for the 1st time and see if i could get used to it in this obviously hopeless match. I did end up losing pretty quickly, but this also happened:

the interceptor with dumbfire rockets just completely melts ppl, its nuts. I was using the burst lasers too, which are great since they overcharge so quickly. I was also using the stealth body, which was risky since the interceptor health is so low already, but it really seemed useful for getting the drop on other fighters. I did still have that issue with drifting tho so i know its not just on the tie with slam engine. Ended up having a lot of fun that match, this game is a blast

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Symetrique posted:

Have they even acknowledged its an issue?

i believe someone on their team said they "were looking into it" on taht reddit thread that was linked earlier

i can believe that its a trickier issue to solve than it would initially seem

edit* pretty disappointed that nothing was mentioned about the drift while boosting issue im having in either the patch or known issues. cant believe im the only one running into that

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 8, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jan posted:

Saw that PC HOTAS deadzone was fixed, so I picked it back up. Still trying to get the hang of drifting, and I think it's because of a very simple/dumb reason:

The separate Drift binding for joystick... doesn't do anything. :psyduck:

I can drift by using the combo boost/drift button: boost, then hold boost to begin drifting. I just can't boost using the standalone drift button. I've tried every combination of boosting, then pressing Drift or boosting, cutting throttle and then pressing Drift, etc. etc., the drift button just does nothing.

Is anyone else running into this? I guess I could get used to the combo method, but I really would rather have separate bindings for it. I'm thinking they wanted to support this by having a Boost/Drift combo binding and separate Boost + Drift bindings, like they have going for other combos, but might've changed their mind halfway through and only left a defunct/skeletal "Drift" binding.

im on mouse and keyboard, but im having issue with the "drift" button as well. For some reason, its only happening on Imp ships, but about 15% of the time when i hit the drift button nothing happens at all and i have to stop and start the boost again to get it to work. All the other times it works fine and i cant reliably replicate it so im still not sure what is causing it. Think i might have to start getting used to drifting the other way since that button seems to be a bit buggy

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i like drifting in 2 main scenarios. the 1st one is if you find yourself staring down another fighter. Instead of trying to out-dps them in a game of chicken, just boost past them and drift. If you time the drift correctly, you can even fire on them while youre turning. If you dont want to fight them, then it can be used to change your direction in an unpredictable manner and get away safely

the other scenario is when youre coming up on some fighters around a corner. You can just drift right near the edge and be facing them when you get out of the cover, giving you more time to line up a shot and making it easier to chase down fighters. You can even do this when chasing someone around a corner; it feels really satisfying to hit some shots in the middle of a drift

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nalin posted:

Use the "press to Boost / hold to Drift" combo button.

where is this option? im on PC and cant find it in the menus

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

havent tried the awing yet, but interceptor with dumbfires and overcharged rapid laser absolutely melts ywings. i supposed the easy overcharging is a big reason why the tiebombers r so op right now

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Pictured: the ultimate evil

Healing + shielding a bomber running from an A-Wing, then shooting the A-Wing.

jesus chomp, he had a family

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

yo goons need to squad up on the discord. just had an awesome fleet match with goons where the 2 randos dropped right at the start and we still won 3v5. Teamwork and support shields are mad OP and make the game a lot more fun

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

The OP didn't really cover this and the thread is rather long so apologies if I'm asking something that's been answered already, but aside from the single player campaign in this game, what can one do by themselves that is not PVP?

I believe there is some sort of co-op PVE mode to play with friends or whatever, based on a couple things I read, but outside of the single player campaign, is it possible to do anything that is not PVP (or PVE with random internet people) by yourself?

There is a coop vs ai fleet mode. Its plays just like the normal pvp fleet mode but one side is all ai. Thats about it tho

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

uXs posted:

I think I can hold my own in dogfighting, using the interceptor and the a-wing.

I have no clue on how to fly bombers though.

What are some good loadouts and tactics when flying those? What's a quick and reliable way to take out bigger ships? Do you do different things when taking on raiders, corvettes, frigates, and the (subsystems of) cap ships?

Do you just accept that a bombing run is always a one-way trip, or do you try to make it out again somehow? Do you completely ignore fighters or not?

The tiebomber is completely and totally op right now and I'll tell you how. First, you need to buy three things for it. You need the rotary cannon, extra health hull, and the twin ion engines. The aux are dealer's choice.

The way to win with this setup is basically to dump all of the boost energy into weapons to overcharge the rotary. ALWAYS keep power in engines, due to the twin ion engines, your boost will charge much quicker than usual. Once you have full boost, use the unique tie mechanic to transfer the boost energy into weapons and overload the rotary. For some reason, the rotary energy decays incredibly slowly. So slow, in fact, that you can just hold the trigger the whole time and keep transferring boost energy and NEVER RUN OUT of overcharged weapons.

This setup kinda breaks the game. If you have 1 fighter covering your 6, you can just turret and wipe the floor with the other team. It works in both dogfight and fleet battle and I'll be really surprised if this doesn't get nerfed so get in while you still can.

mod edit: fixed spelling

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 11, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

ty. my biggest key point i try to remind myself is that i control combat and so pick targets wisely. isolated targets that are either tailing my teammates or finishing things off for people caught in a dog fight

i feel bad for the lonesome support vessels i target that are jus tryna get back to the squad, ripp

ya i have a pretty similar setup for my interceptor. I go with stealth body, acceleration engines, rapid lasers, and mines and barrage rockets for my aux. At the start of every dogfight, i just chill at the top of the map and swoop in after the enemy team blunders into the middle. I avoid lockons so that way i wont give away that im aiming at a fighter

Rapid lasers are amazing because they recharge so quickly, thus allowing me to shunt emergency energy from weapons to my engines if i ever need a quick boost. Barrage rockets are great too since they add ~330 dps and can allow me to shred any fighters really quickly. Getting caught out open is almost instant death so i have to fly hard and fast, its a ton of fun

*edit* play with goons veni, it makes the multiplayer a lot less frustrating

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 11, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

I mean let's be honest: this could've easily been another Battlefront II, so let's count our loving blessings

based on my intuition, i feel like squadrons 1 will be the battlefront I(3) to squadrons 2, which will be the battlefront II(4) of the series, with all the good and bad that entails

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the only change i want to see in this game is if they make it so all debris no longer despawns and it can also collide with your ship

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I managed to get settled, but even though I bought the game I still can't play it since I somehow managed to fry my controller :negative: I swear I am going to play this game and begin my Y-Wing domination eventually. Until then, is there anything that really needs to be changed or to go into the OP? (Apologies again for the absenteeism right when the game came out)

put a big :siren: in OP that anyone complaining about unfair multiplayer should squad up with the goons in the discords. It makes the game way more enjoyable and we're very friendly in the discords and will be happy to have new pilots

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Is the Marvelous Goons one still the go to for that?

Also, as someone who almost never uses discord, how easy/difficult it is for getting a squad going for people across the multiple platforms?

EDIT: Asking this as someone who plays on Xbox, FWIW.

marvelous seems to be the best bet. Im still not sure on how the cross-platform works with the consoles, but its been pretty painless playing with ppl on Steam Epic and Origin

*edit* according to this, playing with console peeps should be the same process as we were doing with everything else so it should work, but I haven't tested it.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

marvelous seems to be the best bet. Im still not sure on how the cross-platform works with the consoles, but its been pretty painless playing with ppl on Steam Epic and Origin

*edit* according to this, playing with console peeps should be the same process as we were doing with everything else so it should work, but I haven't tested it.

thanks to fartknocker, can confirm that crossplay between PC and consoles is pretty painless so even more reason for goons to SQUAD UP

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Symetrique posted:

Part of the AI farm strat that was used against us in a fleet battle involved a tie fighter with a stealth hull lobbing what I thought were torps from outside of sensor range. I was curious and checked in the practice mode. Turns out he was just using normal missiles, which can actually outrange torpedoes when dumbfired.

what a horribly tedious way to win a match :nallears:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im telling yall, making the debris from battles never despawn would add so much to the game, especially yavin. Imagine what Yavin would look like at the end of a fleet battle :allears:

i know this would make the game engine explode, shut up

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

threelemmings posted:

Sounds like a bug. Even if a support ship stealths you, it should quickly pop up then fade out if the way.

I guess the one exception is that if you are in fleet battles near a flagship or AI fighters but 1500 from any player ship then maybe the hull would activate but that's a really specific and unlikely case. You can sneak in ok but it's hard to believe their whole team is still out of range if you're able to hit the cap ship

was playing a fleet battle earlier against a bad team that let me take out 3 subsystems in one life with the xwing. After popping each one id fly like 500m away and be "invisible" again to recharge my systems and go for another run. The other team was all near the front of the star destroyer and completely oblivious to my attack runs. Stealth body is outright nasty against unaware groups

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kilazar posted:

Aaa ah ok so this is useless in SP and AI only stuff. Thanks!

i think they meant the AI fighters that attack the other AI fighters in fleet mode. Not specifically the coop vs AI mode. That being said, I wouldnt be surprised if the stealth body was useless in that mode

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SuperTeeJay posted:

I'm a few hours in and I know that everyone has probably said this already, but soft-locking the game while instructing me to press a key that isn't assigned to the joystick - without also showing the assigned keyboard key and disabling Esc so I can't check - is infuriating. Yeah, I'll learn, but I'd like to continue the huge space battle. How many QA testers have to shout 'Come on you stupid loving piece of poo poo' while mashing the keyboard to trigger a rethink?

ya it was an incredibly stupid design decision but at least it only happens near the beginning of the campaign and not in the multiplayer

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

uXs posted:

I did the same. I do miss being able to go 6/6/0 (or any permutation of that) though.

What would be a good ship and loadout for the rebels to go after subsystems? As the empire I just take a bomber and go ham with the rotary cannon.

A few games ago I think I saw someone do this with an X-Wing but I don't know how he configured it.

i almost always use the xwing for fleet battles. My setup is the burst cannon (not the plasburst), SLAM engines, reflec hull, resonant shield, ion missiles, and barrage missiles. I use this setup to snipe specific subsystems. Whenever I spawn in on the attack, i just fly up to the top of the map. As long as im at least 1500m away from the nearest enemy, im basically invisible. I then fly over to the ISD. Make sure you are at the top of the map for this, if you are getting shot by the ISD when you over it, you are too close.

Once over the ISD, I make sure all my subsystems are overcharged, which is easy to do with res shields and SLAM engines. I then boost down to the subsystem i want to destroy and park myself under the shields and let loose with the barrage. 90% of the time I will destroy what I'm targeting. The only way to stop this is for the enemy to be aware enough of their subsystems. The ion missiles are solely for tie bombers

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

uXs posted:

Cool I'll try that thanks.

What do you during the other phases?

well, since I still have my ions and barrage missiles, I usually just plaster the other team. Stealth body makes it really easy to pick my engagements and get the drop on other pilots. I always try to prioritize tie bombers during defense and ping them for my team

*edit* barrage missiles and ions are also great at attacking the raiders and frigates. This setup is really versatile for fleet battles and I really have a lot of fun with it

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 16, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Varkas posted:

I've only recently started using the tie bomber, but I made a short step-by-step guide on how you can use it to hypothetically take out 2 capital ship-subsystems in one run by flying in close with the rotary and beam cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRBVy0h9hQ

Might be useful to some players who aren't sure how to use the bomber for this "suicide run" role. I think it's worth a bomber death if you manage to take out at least one of the shield gens, but you might even survive if a support ship shields you and the other team is completely clueless.

awesome vid with a really great demonstration on how to do a good bombing run, but id slap on the ion JET engines to literally double how quickly the bomber generates boost. Doing this however does make it a bit harder to escape after the run since the ship burns through boost twice as quickly, but its a hoot having endless overcharged rotary ammo for the bomber

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

It's really bad to die in fleet battles. You're much better off doing quicker, less dramatic bombing runs, taking what you can get. I wouldnt even worry about using your rotary cannon on the cap ship because you want to be max engine power the whole time. if you do have a support ship to bubble you at the perfect time go for it, but a bomber death is not worth the cruiser shield gen because that death contributes to your only lose condition which is having your own ship attacked.

while it is bad to die in fleet battles, taking out 2 shield gens, or even just 1, is totally worth the 10 morale loss imo. Also, the rotary absolutely SHREDS the hull, I have no idea what you are getting at there. Technically it is *optimal* to just slowly plink away at the enemy cap ship from a safe distance and retreat to AI farm once the morale is low, but thats boring to do and infuriating to fight against. Its much more fun to do a crazy bombing run and try to see if you can escape safely

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Varkas posted:

I haven't done a super in-depth analysis and I may be totally wrong here, but I'm inclined to disagree? My whole take is that if you're a bomber that pushes up beyond your midfield, it's likely just a matter of time before you get taken out (and that time won't be very long if the other team is actively prioritizing and focus firing enemy bombers, like I do when I play interceptor). So if I'm going to die anyway, I'd rather it be from taking out a shield generator entirely instead of plinking away at some shields from afar.

Now if you're properly supported and have team mates that actively form on your wing, it might be a different story, but I've yet to play with such folks.

Does a bomber death have the same negative impact as say, an interceptor death? I think my whole argument might really hinge on just how much of a negative effect it causes compared to other over zealous teammates that take unnecessary risks all the time and get themselves killed. If I can accomplish more capital ship damage with one death than they would in 4 deaths, I see it as a net gain.

When attacking with a full team of 5, each death counts as 10 morale loss, regardless of the ship one is flying. On the flip side, every time a defender is killed is 5 morale gain and an AI kill is 2 morale for the attackers and 5 for the defenders. Im not sure what the total morale is, but 100 seems to be a safe assumption. I also dont know how much morale is gained for raider/frigate kills; my guess is 20 but, ehhh im not sure. Still, 10 is not a huge loss if the rest of the team is paying attention and I think its a good trade for taking out a subsystem, tho a squad wipe is kind of devastating for the attackers

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

tie bombers are already OP but with a bit of teamwork they become something else entirely

ty rob for the shields and repairs

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I can actually play now without massive eyestrain! :toot:

Hope the multiplayer hasn't died off too much, I'm worried that its just the aces now and I haven't even had much time to practice yet so I'm behind the curve. Ah well.

hop on discord and play with goons to win every match easily, enemy aces be damned

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

stealth armor is great because it makes you invisible when 1500+m away from the nearest enemy. What this means is that any time you spawn, or at the start of a match, you are almost guaranteed to get the drop on the enemy and in this game, getting the drop on someone is more or less instant death to them.

There is also a handy icon that appears on the top of the screen to indicate when you are invisible to the enemy, allowing much more control on when to disengage and find a new approach. The body is mad OP in fleet battle and still real handy in dogfighting, since the maps are around the same size. I have a hard time flying without the stealth body since Ive been leaning on it for so long now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Hell loving yes.

"Not going to support this game beyond release" my rear end. If they can just add a few things here and there like this (namely the custom matches and more ships) that will continue sales for this game for a while.

quote:

Custom Matches

And of course, above all else—well, maybe aside from the cosmetic of The Child—there’s something that’s been greatly requested to be an addition to the game: custom matches! We were so excited from the moment we heard about your community-run tournaments to actually getting to see them in action, so we knew this was something we had to provide in some way.

Custom matches will allow one to five players per side across two teams to play on any of the (now) seven maps in both Dogfight and Fleet Battles. There will also be some additional restrictions and modifiers that you can change. These include things like hull/shield/damage modifiers, changing capital ship health, restricting certain starfighters, and other tools to help you change how you play. With this, there will also be a custom matches server browser for you to search through private matches made by your friends as well as public ones made by strangers.

They really are adding a ton of great stuff with these patches and Im glad to see it. That being said, Im not feelin too excited for the tie-defender since it has shields. That means there will be no weapon shunting for it which will make it inferior to the normal tie-fighter imo. The new Boost Extension Kit for bombers looks like it might be completely busted for the tie-bomber; it will make it even easier to get that sweet overcharge for the rotary. Also looking forward to those ion barrage rockets. Gonna have a blast rocking both types of barrage rockets at the same time.