Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I could not be more excited about this game if I tried.

Now to see if a VR headset will fit inside my helmet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

The Empire did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Well, they should've gone with Thrawn's Defenders over the Death Star, but....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It runs pretty well in combat for me (I have a GTX1080), but the 2D parts (the menus, the home base stuff) tear a lot.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Squadrons TIE pilot gear https://imgur.com/gallery/Alfbc7k

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

McSpanky posted:

No-prize handwave: every TIE getting one-shot in the films was by a Rebel equipped with heavy lasers on max weapon setting

Also most of the Rebel fighters got downed with one shot, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

I'm not gonna throw the baby out with the bath water--TRoS failing to stick the landing doesn't take away the fact that The Last Jedi is the single best Star Wars film of the entire franchise and overall just one of the best stories set in that universe.

I prefer Empire, but a lot of that may be nostalgia. TLJ is number 2 though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's not surprising: https://imgur.com/a/AQSYApZ

It's actually pretty impressive.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Double posting, but this is more my speed:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I could watch that video a hundred times.

E: Posting a link for the top of the neww page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VmOqjV_7Q

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Trevor Hale posted:

“We want a space opera! Keep your politics out of our stuff!”

“Also maybe make the bad guys a bit nicer...”

“And maybe make the good guys worse...”

The OT as a piece of fiction is incompatible with any attempts at shades of grey. You can’t have new nuanced characters + a shield from people critiquing the story telling that is bringing them to life now in the year 2020.

Han Solo didn't exist, I guess, and Luke never force choked any Gamorreans.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The statement was that there's no grey at all in the OT, that's it's completely black and white. But that's not true. It's *mostly* black and white, sure, but there's still some nuance.

Or at least there was until the special edition where Han no longer shoots Greedo in cold blood.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What was the catch with Fallen Order?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Back tracking and poor past travel locations doubling the runtime?

That's certainly a valid criticism of the game, and something I hated a lot, but I'm not sure that's an EA gotcha. Maybe.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Squadrons doesn't see my pedals,

Not the worst thing in the world, but annoying.

E: Nevermind! Got it to work with Joystick Gremlin.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 1, 2020

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wish I could play online. Fix your poo poo EA or Valve!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

lol what. there's a reason the rebellion/Republic is always presented as a diverse collection of species while the Empire, the Remnant and the New Order are primarily human.

Please remind me which aliens were in the Rebel Alliance in A New Hope

I mean get mad at diversity in the game if you want (seems weird), but the Empire has been only-anti-alien in canon for a long while now. It did not start with this game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Star Wars has changed a lot since the original movies, even between them. Jedi has more aliens than ANH or ESB, the prequels have shittons of them, and the EU had a horse in Rogue Squadron.

And the Empire had women, POC, and even a smattering of aliens.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Got my preorder items in finally. I went to the Steam game folder and ran the anti-cheat installer, it did a repair, and now I'm all set.

Hooray for Piss Stripes!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

I think I’m about ready to ditch HOTAS and go to controller.

I am constantly overshooting people and my aim is just horrible. But, it shouldn’t be.

My HOTAS is an x42 from the 2000s....... what are the top two recommendations (regardless of price/availability)?

Virpil or VKB, but you won't have either for a while.

You could also fly with a yoke, which is pretty close to the TIE controls at any rate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I can only shoot what's in front of me in any of the ships Imp or Reb. And I know where everything is in the TIE because of the radar and ther indicators.

I don't understand the "disadvantage" at all.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Varkas posted:

Soooo...you haven't played in VR from the sounds of it?

It's dramatically much easier to track targets in rebel ships in VR than just the radar, as you can actually see what adjustments they're making to their heading at any given moment, despite being out of view of your ship's nose.

Shine posted:

Glancing at a ship and seeing exactly where it is and what it's doing (changing direction, changing speed, moving toward a teammate, etc.) is easier for most people than deriving that info from a combination of the sensor, ship and distance displays. I don't know if you're playing in VR, but there's a reason why so many people who do tend to much prefer the cockpits of the X- or A-Wing to the Imperial equivalents.

I only play this game in VR. What would be the point otherwise?

And how well do you see *below* the gigantic nose of an X-Wing?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Varkas posted:

Well we've already recently discussed the resolution/FOV hits from playing in VR, and this is largely going to depend on your headset.

Yeah, the noise is a fair point. I tend to roll in advance so that targets are above rather than below as much as possible, and thus bring out the view strengths from the top side.

So you... move your ship in a way that... let's you see the enemy?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

rage-saq posted:

To all the people saying that TIE's are fine in VR just use your instruments, well, the instruments suck, plus they tell you nothing about asteroids or other objects. If the design solution for TIEs to have comparable situational awareness is sensors, then they need to have way better sensors to level the playing field. TIE's are seriously handicapped vs NR.

Most humans develop object permanence by 4-7 months old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lemming posted:

It's not a personal insult to you that the Rebel ships have better visibility than Imperial ships do in VR, you don't have to be so pissy about it

Who's pissy?

None of these arguments are terribly convincing that there is better visibility, or that it matters.