Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

You can play it now. :shrug:

I just played through the Balance of Power campaign again and can confirm it all still works and if you're willing to tinker you can get the game running at 60 FPS with working 3D models.

Those BoP campaign missions are loving infuriating though. So many of them are nearly impossible on Hard difficulty, especially that one stupid Imperial mission where there's a 15 minute time limit.

There's also a bunch of mods for X-Wing Alliance that now have the game looking amazing. You can get the mods/updates at https://xwaupgrade.com/

There's also a VR mod where the switches and buttons you see on the cockpit actually work if you reach toward them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

The downside to the XWA upgrade stuff is that it totally unbalanced the game and makes some missions essentially unwinnable.

Speaking of Balance on Power, if anyone wants to co-op anything then hit me up.

Good news! In a recent patch they've fixed a lot of the stuff that made some ships too OP and missions unwinnable. Most of it was due to people accidentally adding guns where the original model had a gun but it didn't work.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Please give us B-Wing + TIE Defender/Advanced DLC EA. It can just be single player only if it breaks the multiplayer balance.

Also if I wanna get real greedy: please port the original X-Wing series games to this engine.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah it was great to see one of those platforms back, and I know they already confirmed them in an interview, but it was also heartwarming seeing this guy in the latest trailer:

"Transports requesting permission to pass through this sector"

"Alpha 1, inspect the transports"

Glad we're getting those dumb freighters. Wonder what other goodies from the X-Wing series we're getting.:getin:

Also if you haven't seen the lead dev's childhood sketches, the guy loved the X-Wing series:

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 28, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Happy to see yet another star wars thread destroyed by the new trilogy. Only 33 days to launch

the new trilogy is Real Bad and should never have been made despite having cool characters

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

I'm ready now.

Watch this game actually suck to use a HOTAS with :saddowns:

I picked up an x52 pro. It's daunting trying to get it working with X-Wing Alliance/TIE Fighter and Freespace 2. It's super neat though, I definitely can do everything without taking my hands off the stick/throttle.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

I've got FS2 installed via Knossos at the moment, but I still haven't taken my stick out of the box to test it out. Doesn't Knossos let you load preconfigured HOTAS configuration files? Someone has to have put out config files for FS2 Open in the last 20 years.

Does it? There's a joystick config option but I don't see any way to load a HOTAS file. I've been using the (not great) Logitech profiler software to configure things. My biggest issue is just remembering what all the buttons do. It's very, very helpful that the little LCD screen on the throttle will display what each button press does based on your profile.

Tom Guycot posted:

I dont' know how the x52 programing software is, but I was pretty chuffed when I figured out how to program my CH throttle to behave as a proper throttle in tie fighter. Not just up/down or 0/25/50/75/100%, but totally granular and working like a proper throttle.

Oh wow, how'd you figure out how to do that? I still can only get it to do 0/25/50/100.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got my new X-52 Pro working with both the Freespace 2 Source Port and the original X-Wing series games. It's a bit janky in the original X-Wing series games but it's absolutely perfect for FS2.

Can't wait for the game to come out.

If anyone would like my user profiles let me know!

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 9, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Anyone have any good names upcoming? I’m thinking on changing my Steam name to “Dr Evazan’s Chop Shop” or “Mango Fett’s Fruit Stand” for when I’m dying horribly and often splashing fools left and right.

Jeb Porkins' Last Ride

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just so folks know, there's a mod out there to restore the iMuse soundtrack to the 1998 version of TIE Fighter. It also enhances the concourse music and briefing dialog.

https://www.savingcontent.com/2014/10/29/tie-fighter-reconstructed-mod-for-gog-com-edition-released/

direct link: https://www.savingcontent.com/2014/08/09/guide-play-xwingseries-on-modern-pc/

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 14, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Then all is set.

Did the 98 edition of Tie Fighter include the engine mobility mechanic from XWVTF where going slower gave you a tighter turn radius?

Yep! Set throttle to 1/3 when you're dogfighting to out-turn the enemy.

In canon I think the TIEs were supposed to have an amazing turning radius, so even though the A-Wing is faster, the TIEs usually dogfight better. Which iirc is the same thing between the Zero and American fighters in WWII in the Pacific, the Zero could out-dive and out-turn the American fighters but the American fighters were faster.

Bubbacub posted:

Woah, cool.

Does running the 1998 version in DOSBox on a fast CPU do something to missile tracking? Trying to dodge advanced missiles feels totally bullshit, though I'm probably worse at video games than when I was a kid.

You can't run the 98 version in DOSBox as it was a port to Windows 95/98.

But yes, advanced missiles are a PITA to dodge. Just fly straight at them and shoot when they're initially fired or use a decoy beam.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

3 posted:

I don't really have as much of a problem with it in Star Wars as I do in Gundam because in Gundam the conflict between the EFF and Zeon is actually presented as morally grey, which does unfortunately end up leading to dipshits actually thinking Zeon had a point (see also: MS IGLOO). Meanwhile, Star Wars has such a clearly cut black and white good versus evil throughline that I don't really mind them taking the time to make sympathetic Imperial characters because at the end of the day it's more interesting than moustache-twirling snidely whiplashes in star destroyers, and we know the Empire canonically loses the war.

TIE Fighter did it the right way by mostly side-stepping the Rebel vs Imperial war and instead focusing on Imp vs Imp. They also personalized the conflict by having Harkov and Zaarin both be your commanding officer.

And that's not even getting into how Star Wars has greyed the morality since then, most notably in Rogue One where you have the Rebels straight up torturing people and Imperials who are forced to work for the Empire against their will/are sympathetic.

hhhat posted:

yep it really was, but for my one complaint

Yeah we also don't know anything else about the way they're portrayed AFAIK just this one short so far they could easily still be doing mostly the right thing with that anyway

ok well I typed that before your edit and ugggghh so they made him a gay fascist

ugghhhhhh

edit: uggggh wrestled internally with the empire's methods what

they blew up a planet

.... they blew up a whole planet

Alderaan had it coming. The rebel leadership had a chance to save the population and failed to do so as they were more committed to saving their own traitors than the population of Alderaan. No one ever talks about the thousands of lives lost on the Empire's side at Yavin brutally killed by the Rebels without a chance to surrender, curious. :smuggo:

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 14, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hhhat posted:

we have covered that very well in these past few pages friend

hell, i'd make the story of gay fascist that he realizes he's a fascist and the last mission is him joining the rebellion

isnt this after ROTJ they're literally the worst they're the Lost Causers and everything

lol @ gay turbospacehitler

Christ, take it to CSPAM if you wanna cry about it this much.

3 posted:

If this was a game where you played exclusively as the rebels I'd agree with you, but you do understand why the developers would try to give people actual reasons to play as the other side, right? People are less inclined to fly TIE fighters in a game that is 50% about flying TIE fighters if every TIE fighter pilot is turbospacehitler. See also, TIE Fighter, the video game.

To wit, in X-Wing Alliance the Imperials are all universally terrible and help the actual mob steal your family's poo poo. This is a good decision as you only ever play as the Rebels and it helps both personalize the conflict and not make you think too hard about all the pilots you're shooting down/killing.

If people are playing as both the Alliance and Empire, it's a really bad idea to make one side morally disgusting to play for. You'll note that the WW2 games that have Nazis in them don't have you committing war crimes and running concentration camps as only actual irl Nazis would enjoy that.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 14, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheAnomaly posted:

And, to back everyone else up, Tie Fighter was great about that because... everyone was a drat Nazi. Playing Tie Fighter was cartoonishly evil, especially in the expansion under Thrawn.

Wasn't the Thrawn expansion mostly just hunting down Zaarin and beating up on pirates with the op missile boat?

I mean hell this game apparently has the Empire hunting down Alderaan refugees and killing them in just the prologue and that's a lot more war crime-y than anything in the X-Wing series of games.

I really don't care if they make the Empire sympathetic or not. The Empire's bad dudes and while the grunts might be okay humans (NO XENOS ALLOWED), the Empire's still horrible. I can keep that in mind and still play as them and have fun as them, we all don't have to wring our hands about it and try and make ourselves feel guilty.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

Plugged in my Thrustmaster yesterday, blinged out a Steam copy of X-Wing with some of the "make this thing look good on a modern system" tweaks, and played it for like two hours last night.

To my great shame, I never actually really played X-Wing or TIE Fighter back in the day, and I can say that this experience definitely holds up.

I played through the Balance of Power campaign a few weeks back and it is way, way harder than I remember. I'm struggling right now to remember all my fancy mappings on my X52 and I keep getting blasted out of the sky as I forget which button is shield redirect, countermeasure, etc.

howe_sam posted:

I've been playing X-Wing Alliance again with the fancy graphics mods to get myself hype for Squadrons and I've found that anything with a laser turret rips me in half. Apparently I am Bad At Games now. :corsair:

FYI the fancy graphics mods for XWA make laser turrets far more accurate and deadly, to the point where if you need to do a bombing run you should turn off your targeting computer :v: and dumb fire your payload. If you don't the capital ship turrets will be able to target and shoot down your torpedoes.

Tom Guycot posted:

laser turrets were always huge assholes (which is why i was excited to see it as an item in squadrons :v:), I remember that mission in tie fighter where you have to take out a whole minefield of them in an unshielded tie....

"ALPHA 1 IS THE EMPEROR'S STOOL PIGEON"

And if you kill the wingmen before they fire on you:

"Ah looks like Alpha 1 doesn't play nice with others"

The only objective you actually need to complete in that mission is inspecting the shuttle that Harkov's officers are on and actually landing in the Modified Frigate Osprey so you don't die. Everything else is optional.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 18, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I like that TIE bombers are tougher than every other ship other than the support ships.

Also holy poo poo the TIE Interceptor seems very OP. Best top speed, acceleration and maneuverability. Being the weakest in terms of hull/shield strength won't matter if no one can hit you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Us next week Friday:

More like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwYj4AqB6Q

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I tested my HOTAS out in XWA last night and it's working great now that I'm starting to remember what button does what.

4 more days!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

I can’t wait for the first week or two of this game being nothing but Goons doing constant movie chatter like “I can’t shake him! Stay on target... You switched off your targetting computer” etc.
:allears:

First week or two? Buddy, I'm been shouting those lines while I play the TG X-Wing series for 20+ years I'm not about to stop now.

Attacking a capital ship:

quote:

Make sure the computer can hit it!

quote:

We won't last long against those Star Destroyers!

Losing badly in a dogfight:

quote:

Blast it Biggs, where are you!

quote:

They're coming in much faster this time!

A good shot happens:

quote:

Good shot Jensen!

When you can't hold it:

quote:

I can hold it! I'm alright! *explosion*

When you fly a Z-95 for any reason:

quote:

She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts

And we even have new things to say now with Rogue One and the new trilogy:

When you get a crazy idea:

quote:

Call in a Hammerhead Corvette, I have an idea!

When you're the pilot:

quote:

I'm the pilot

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

There will surely be some defaults, but you're better setting it yourself, 1) to set it exactly how you want 2) setting it yourself makes it easier to remember what does what because you didn't just rely on some default you might have ignored.

My x52 will also literally tell you what each button pushed does on the little LCD screen when you push it, which is really helpful when I get confused.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've been getting flight time in TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance with my x52. I think I'll be ready on launch to blast some rebel scum/imperial dogs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
What does everyone think they're gonna main?

I'm so torn between the TIE Bomber and Interceptor. I learned how to use the TIE Bomber in a defensive role in TIE Fighter back in the 90s and I'm not about to put that knowledge to waste :colbert:

But then the Interceptor is so fast. So fragile...

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:D

all wings report in! :patriot:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
anyone have any luck with vpns and steam?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That trick doesn't work on steam.

If this game's launch on steam is like any of the other recent ones, it will unlock globally at Midnight EST (so 9PM EST). Maybe it will be 10 minutes late like FS2020 was, but that seems to be the worst case.

Well I just VPN'd to new zealand and it unlocked soooo...

Multiplayer appears to be down but it launched into the single player campaign just fine.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

black.lion posted:

Umm on Steam? Or on Origin??

Steam

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
btw if you don't pick Ace Azzameen and Mareek Steele for your single player pilot names you aren't a true pilot.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shine posted:

Close steam, set VPN to New Zealand, open Steam.

Do you need to still be VPN'd to New Zealand to play? I did the trick earlier today but I couldn't play as I had to work.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just spent the last half hour or so setting up my x52. For those with flight sticks:

SET THE IN GAME SENSITIVITY TO 100%

Otherwise the stick will be sluggish. Also make sure to actually map your controller, the defaults are not very well thought out. Also for X-Wing series vets set the energy mode to advanced/veteran otherwise it'll just auto-put it at full every time you change it.

I also recommend keeping the HUD on at first. I thought I was a real ace pilot clearing a mine field and I had no idea what was going on without the HUD.

Last thing: the game also sets the throttle to some random slider I never use. Throttle worked great once I re-mapped it so try that if you're having issues.

Was able to shoot down a whole squad of TIEs in my X-Wing in practice mode though. I think I'm ready for the campaign :getin:

As far as how craft feel, I flew the X-Wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber and TIE Interceptor. The Interceptor is so loving fast holy poo poo to the point where I felt like I had no control at max throttle. X-Wing and TIE Fighter both feel good. TIE Bomber is surprisingly nimble.

Oh and capital ships are no joke. They will absolutely shred you.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 2, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

uXs posted:

Anybody know what the tag 'combo' in the controls menu for flight sticks mean?

And I'm trying to use my G27 pedals for roll. It mostly works, except it doesn't seem to detect either pedal until halfway. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Combo means you hold it down or double tap to do something else. For example I've set one button on my HOTAS to select the craft in front of me, but if I hold it down it'll bring up the targeting menu.

Mizaq posted:

Dangercato is probably finding out like us that they screwed up the launch times. I would love to at least be able to calibrate my joystick in advance while we wait.

VPNs will work. I think Tunnelbear is free for under 500MB.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

"gently caress our own continent in particular!" - some EA release manager

People who are in already, has anyone figured out if you can do the AI vs. AI fleet battles with a friend before the proper "ranked" fleet battles unlocks? Wouldn't mind crushing a few of those with my usual group of fuckers as a sort of tutorial/group coordination training/oh god how do I X-Wing it has been fifteen years.

I don't think so. All online stuff appears to be down until the game launches everywhere.

OhFunny posted:

Edit: ohhhh shiiit the rebel pilot is Ace Azzameen! Hell yeah!

Mareek Steele is too, just keep hitting randomize and you should get both to show up.

Zaphod42 posted:

Should be late enough now I can VPN to Japan? Gonna try...

Anywhere east of the Americas at this point should be good (up to the international dateline)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

Guy on Twitch has been playing Fleet battle all day. Unless he's somehow playing vs AI which it doesnt appear to be.

Oh interesting. When I boot it up it refuses to connect to anything multiplayer, but maybe it's up on consoles/Origin?

edit: Worryingly, i just booted it up again while VPN and it said my EA account is unable to access anything online. Except I never signed in with an EA account :ohdear:

I hope I didn't somehow get myself banned by using a VPN.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 2, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lemming posted:

I'm playing multi right now, just do the vpn thing on pc

Steam?

Cuz I'm trying to play on Steam and I keep getting a message about my account not being able to access anything online.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ah okay. That would explain it then. I was getting really scared I somehow got my account banned.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Doesn’t steam just open Origin anyways.

Nope. It's all in steam.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Is anyone else getting this error? I have no idea how I could've gotten banned since I've never even played the game yet.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 2, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
For anyone else getting the login error there is a very, very long thread on EA's forum and no one seems to have any clue why it happened except that maybe you first accessed the game with the VPN and some system auto-banned everyone who did it? No one's really sure.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Information-Request-Error-Code-918/td-p/9532025

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

So I’m getting the error 918 won’t connect error, they make you feel like your account is banned. Apparently a lot of Steam accounts are getting this. I’ll dork around in single player I guess, hopefully they fix it soon. Popular belief is EA doesn’t have enough servers, but who knows.

Edit: someone says they got through to EA support, they say it’s a known issue they’re furiously trying to patch. Yup, looks like it’s single player for me unless I want to refund and buy on origin.

Yeah there's a giant thread on the EA forums at 37 38 pages and growing. I suspect there's something messed up on the authentication server. The only commonality seems to be they're all on Steam.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Information-Request-Error-Code-918/td-p/9532025/page/1

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Plan Z posted:

So, I'm running like 100+ FPS at all times, but when I turn my ship, it still feels kinda- choppy, I guess? Is there some setting I'm missing out on, or is this just how the game controls?

There's apparently another bug that the game only runs at 60 or 30 fps despite displaying a higher framerate in apps. Something to do with animations? I'm not quite sure.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Refresh-Rate-bug/td-p/9535372

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Varkas posted:

For sticks, this game seems to have some pretty bad hard-coded deadzone that isn't affected by the settings in the menus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WeFR-IPIQ&t=50s

Thankfully I can overcome this with a response curve adjustment in Joystick Gremlin/vJoy:

Yeah based on what people are saying on reddit the deadzone looks to have a hardcoded minimum of 0.2 but due to the anti-cheat you can't manually edit the file :negative: