Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GrumpyMan posted:

Think about most of the people you know IRL. How many do you think are flawless and likeable?

I'm guessing not too many. Hot take though.

Well that's not really what they said though, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
Horror is only scary if it happens to people that skew towards my beliefs! Morality is black and white and if people don't divide down those lines then I don't know how to feel!

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
I've seen many of your posts in the horror thread and I believe you to be either a contrarian or a badly programmed AI. What did you think of The Lighthouse?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Thread reminded me of a weekend as a teen, parents out of town. Older brother's friend brings over I Spit on Your Grave and CHUD for good times. There was also weed and beer.

I watched them both with probably some sort of drop-jawed horror on my face the whole time.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

Doltos posted:

I've watched every horror movie possible and never nearly been as scared as Large Marge. Perfect jump scare because it was the only one in the entire movie and the set up was amazing.

Resolution stuck with me the longest. I'm a sucker for doomed characters. Especially if the characters are likable. That's why Hereditary and Midsommar are absolute trash and among the worst horror movies ever made. Ari Aster goes out of his way to make his doomed characters as unlikable and stupid as possible.

No, you haven't. I get you are too cool for school, but to declare them the worst horror movies ever made? Worse than Survival of the Dead? Worse than Halloween 6? Worse than The House Where Evil Dwells? Worse than Ghoulies 4?

Shut the gently caress up.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
I respect ISOYG for what it did for the genre, but I ain't ever gonna watch it again.

CHUD is legit though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GrumpyMan posted:

Horror is only scary if it happens to people that skew towards my beliefs! Morality is black and white and if people don't divide down those lines then I don't know how to feel!

Again not at all what they said.

Are you ok?

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
Bro, I am living my best life. What did you think of The Lighthouse?

(I'm gate keeping, play along)

DIED A VIRGIN
Dec 21, 2012

yes no yes no yes
Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Its not a horror movie but I saw it when I was like 4, and that goddamn clown is one of my earliest memories because I think it was my first time being loving terrified of something. Sucks cause it's honestly a great movie made by good, funny people but I've never been able to enjoy it.

Edit: Okay I failed to read the thread past the first page. Large Marge didnt stick with me at all for some reason, it was just the clown that hosed me up.

DIED A VIRGIN fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 16, 2020

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GrumpyMan posted:

Fred always has a delicious pun or an elaborate concept before he kills you. Motherfucker, just shoot a harpoon through my head and let's be done. I don't need a bunch of snappy patter, can I please just get murdered?

Freddy Kruegs always working on his tight 5.

Yeah he’s always the most sane and rational person in the room, that’s the hosed up part about it. :hmmyes:

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

DIED A VIRGIN posted:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Its not a horror movie but I saw it when I was like 4, and that goddamn clown is one of my earliest memories because I think it was my first time being loving terrified of something. Sucks cause it's honestly a great movie made by good, funny people but I've never been able to enjoy it.

This guy gets it.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

GrumpyMan posted:

This guy gets it.

I believe the moment he runs out out of the burning building with hands full of snakes, to be a paragon of American cinema. Not being sarcastic, I truly believe it.

DIED A VIRGIN
Dec 21, 2012

yes no yes no yes
That movie was co-written by Phil Hartman and was Tim Burton's first big movie. Its funny as hell if you don't have psychological trauma from it.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Again not at all what they said.

Are you ok?

Hahahahahah, I just looked at your rap sheet. I can't even bring myself to insult you. Good luck with whatever it is you are attempting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As a child, I was very afraid of skeletons so when everyone else was laughing at the electrocution scene in Home Alone 2, I was crying.

The death ray in Mars Attacks freaked me out too.

Now I understand the truth, that skeletons are our friends and comrades.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
In an effort to bring this thread back to actual conversation, I think I first watched The Toxic Avenger when I was 12. I was not ready.

Watched a lot of Troma since then, but when they ran that kid over and then backed over him. drat.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GrumpyMan posted:

Hahahahahah, I just looked at your rap sheet. I can't even bring myself to insult you. Good luck with whatever it is you are attempting.

Hahahahahahah, imagine being a big enough dork to try to shame someone over a rap sheet.

I was just curious why you were spazzing out over someone's innocuous comment, but since you're above it all feel free not to reply, multiple times.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
Another movie I saw way too soon was Street Trash. 11 year old me didn't know quite what to think about people playing keep away with a man's penis.

Tenafly Viper!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Come And See.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gossamer from Looney Tunes freaked me out as a small child. E.T. bothered me as well.

My threshold was not high.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GrumpyMan posted:

Another movie I saw way too soon was Street Trash. 11 year old me didn't know quite what to think about people playing keep away with a man's penis.

Tenafly Viper!

Lol I saw the garbage pale kids movie a few months ago on tv. That poo poo was hosed. A hooker tries to mac on this 12 year old kid or whatever and these freakish mutants run over his dads shop.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
before i was the age of seven (i don't really remember when) i was allowed to choose a movie to rent from the movie rental place and usually i'd choose princess mononoke and there were some trailers for some hosed up animes on that disney vhs i tell you what

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Lol I saw the garbage pale kids movie a few months ago on tv. That poo poo was hosed. A hooker tries to mac on this 12 year old kid or whatever and these freakish mutants run over his dads shop.

I don't recall giving you access to my memoirs.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GrumpyMan posted:

I don't recall giving you access to my memoirs.

You mean your garbage pale kids trading cards collection? :thunk:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Hahahahahahah, imagine being a big enough dork to try to shame someone over a rap sheet.

I was just curious why you were spazzing out over someone's innocuous comment, but since you're above it all feel free not to reply, multiple times.

The real horror is my worry that you all wont shut the gently caress up.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

cheezel posted:

No idea of the movie name or anything more than the part that scarred little cheezel for life. Maybe 5 years old and stumble upon the olds watching a mid-afternoon Sunday matinee type movie. The scene is some masquerade ball and a man is wearing a frog mask/helmet which tightens around his neck and you have his POV as it strangles him and his eyes fill with blood and I honestly to this day still wonder if I dreamt the whole drat lot.

You didn’t dream it; the scene is from The Abominable Dr. Phibes starring Vincent Price!

Edit: The scene is on YouTube so enjoy!
https://youtu.be/wg0YaQK6XQ4

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
Another really gross film I enjoy is Body Melt (1993). If anyone tells you Australians aren't disgusting, you show them this film!

(It's Super Goopy)

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

Reading the back of Horroe DVDs in local stores was enough for me. Never watched them but still got poo poo scared by them. Still refuse to find out what Chucky is about.

:cool:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Fly. It's just really... sad. That's what hosed me up about it :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually really like sad horror films but there aren't many. Like not, "oh no, isn't it sad a kid got killed by a bulldozer!" I mean sad like watching a man slowly die because a mistake he made when he was drunk and upset, that he realizes was a mistake, and then he just degrades and falls apart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also, for Tiny Pick,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Idle hands scared baby motherfucker

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

that movie will gently caress up your whole year

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

Pick posted:

I actually really like sad horror films but there aren't many. Like not, "oh no, isn't it sad a kid got killed by a bulldozer!" I mean sad like watching a man slowly die because a mistake he made when he was drunk and upset, that he realizes was a mistake, and then he just degrades and falls apart.

Pick, I would recommend you "I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House", "The Lodge", and really if you just want a stark portrayal of sadness, "The Battery".

And if you have not seen "Parasite", get on that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Parasite scratched the itch too, and is a very good movie. (I saw it before it was cool!! :supaburn: )

I'll check out the others too, thanks!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
other sad horror films: I find the "you have to kill to live" scene in Ravenous actually quite sad, parts of The Babadook are sad, The Devil's Backbone also qualifies.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
there was also some random movie where a guy in a mascot costume is sick with a head exploding parasite and hes running around going apeshit and than finally his head explodes inside the suit and that hosed up kid me a lot. I couldn't even tell you the name of it but it was apparently a comedy or something.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
Not to overwhelm you, but "Come To Daddy" is a hell of movie. Not sure I would call it sad, but it ain't happy.

Also "The Nightingale", but it's very rapey, if that is an issue.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Internetjack posted:

Donnie Darko? There was another film to where the bunny killer was a hillbilly type taking down stranded motorists to cannibalization by the family... don't recall the name though.

GrumpyMan posted:

I hate to even suggest this, but Donnie Darko? Harvey?

Oh, may have been Twilight Zone: The Movie
wasn't Donnie Darko
I don't think it was Harvey because it wasn't in black and white
wasn't Twilight Zone but that's good thinking

I don't think I'm going to find it, I was really, really young and have no memories with any strong specifics

- he was in a parade or hosting a parade but the parade was evil somehow or it wasn't but he was going to do something bad to it or with it or had already done it?
- my mom was in the room and I remember her asking in surprise "he's seven?" but she might not have been talking about the movie but my child brain decided the evil bunny was seven years old which for some reason made it more disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
drat, Poltergeist is a great movie, I don't know why I didn't make a point of seeing it before.

Thanks, thread!