Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Minority posted:

There's a scene in the movie The Vanishing where the main character drinks drugged coffee and wakes up buried alive.

I saw that when I was about 4 or 5, and I don't think anything else has stuck with me or hosed me up quite the same way

Check out the Tales From the Crypt episode "Dig That Cat, He's Real Dead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

I'd argue The Serpent and The Rainbow's buried alive scene is more horrifying because while Bill Pulman's buried alive from the voodoo zombie powder he starts hallucinating being drowned in blood.
I would suggest that the scene where Lone Star is tied up and gets his nut sack nailed to a chair is the most horrifying bit of that movie.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

We went as a family to see Mars Attacks!, which came out when I was 5. I remember insisting I'd be fine for it but the violence and the appearance of the Martians eventually got to me and my mom took me out of the theater. The design of the Martians stayed with me for a long time.

I haven't felt genuine, teary-eyed fear since I saw A Haunting in Connecticut, and I honestly kind of miss that feeling.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I had a very fun experience with The Ring where I was too drat young to be watching it and then naturally as soon as we turned off the film we fumbled with the input settings and the TV smash-cut to static. I was with a bunch of other kids and we all pretty much collectively poo poo ourselves. That movie hosed me up good.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Come and See is probably the scariest film I’ve ever seen but as a kid those alien abduction scenes from Fire in the Sky hosed up real bad as a kid.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Two things:

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumber land. The tides of black nightmare goop pouring through the gates of dreamland, the vicious swamp of animal consciousness usurping the civilized mind. gently caress.

The other thing is a snippet of a film I accidentally walked in on my parents watching when I was like 5. No idea what it was, but a guy kills himself by jumping off of a building. It was like I could feel my brain developing both an understanding and fear of mortality in real time. Like that was the moment that it clicked in my little mind that I would cease to exist.

Mazenki
Nov 19, 2010
I watched a lot of sci fi and horror movies when I was a kid, so I never really got why other kids were afraid of monsters or stuff in kids movies.

Instead, I was afraid of normal, rational things like the bends https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SU9kt3BYnxQ or running out of oxygen https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vuCiiRDpbCk

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Big one for me was The Cars That Ate Paris. It's a low-budget Australian movie, directed by a young Peter Weir, who went on to direct The Truman Show and Dead Poets Society. It's set in an isolated small town, with lots of weird characters and a gory focus on car accidents. The horrifying aspect of it is how mundane and real it is, especially growing up in the country. I can't even say why it's so scary, but it certainly had me behind the couch for a few months after.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
I saw "the fly" as a 10 y.o. I had nightmares for years.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

AlphaKeny1 posted:

As for the topic, as a kid my older brother would subject me to a lot of horror movies against my will and I'd be scared from Alien or Nightmare on Elm Street for weeks. But the only one that really hosed me up was Arachnophobia. My gf asked what I would do if she teased me with a spider and I told her I'd brake up with her on the spot. I'd probably burn the whole neighborhood down, too, just to be safe.

You may wanna try watching it again, Arachnophobia is actually hilarious and great.

Back in the 90s sometime they showed it on TV, then the week after they showed a movie about killer bees swarming everywhere. I didn't see how it ended but my brother said they lured the bees out to sea setting them on fire with oil, leading me to believe it was The Swarm. The very next day, me, my friend, mom and little sister were out picking strawberries when we hear this weird low frequency noise. Then we look up and holy fuckballs a giant black buzzing cloud is heading right for us :stonkhat:

We run the gently caress away to the car, but my friend still got one in the hair and got stung (which is weird cause they aren't supposed to be in stinging mode when they're swarming).

Some weeks later I was at my other friend's house playing when we hear the gosh darn noise again and another bee swarm sets up shop in a hollowed out tree there while we hide in a shed.

Then finally in late summer we were playing at the playground when yet another cloud of bees comes flying straight over the place.

Never before or since have I seen or heard a free flying bee swarm. That movie may have been cursed.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

When I was like 5 my older cousins, whose parents didn't give a gently caress what they watched, made me watch Nightmare on Elm Street in it's entirety. I went from having no fears to:

1) Being afraid of going to sleep
2) The dark
3) Going upstairs by myself
4) Watching any other even slightly scary movie

My parents went ape-poo poo. Took me like 7 years to watch anything even remotely like it again. It was actually The Mummy, which I found scary, but broke the seal and now I love scary movies. Like someone else said, I wish I could experience pant-making GBS threads terror from a movie again.

Honourable mentions:

1) The bit in the X-Files intro where the man falls into the palm (I don't know why)
2) I hated looking through windows into the dark. I remember a black and white movie my parents where watching after the above where luminous eyes were glowing outside a window. I think it was the original Amityville Horror but if anyone could confirm/deny that I'd be grateful.

Edit:

Here it is Lmao, stupid poo poo fucks you up when you're young. Don't know why my brain made it into black and white.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 17, 2020

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
First up, honourable mentions to the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers remake for Donald Sutherland's howling finger pointing, and Halloween III: Season of the Witch when the lady fiddles with the logo of doom, or when the test kid and his family are killed, and just the hopelessness of the ending overall...though nowadays I'd be more inclined to think the old man might have been on to something.

3. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
Watched this on TV with my mom, probably about 4 or 5 at the time. The sight of Christopher Lee trapped in a glacier staring down some dude with his blood red eyes freaked me out. The first ad break was for cider, and I've never touched that poo poo to this day because my lizard brain associates it with undead horrors staring at you.

2. Salem's Lot
Saw it at my aunt's, was about 5 or 6. Danny Glick in his grave and floating around outside people's windows, Mike the gravedigger in the rocking chair, and its rat-faced Nosferatu take on Barlow were pure nightmare fuel.

1. Alien
..because of course it loving is. I was 7 or 8 for this I think, caught the last half hour on the TV and it scared me shitless, I hallucinated about the final scene in the lifeboat for years until I finally rewatched it almost a decade later. It instilled a lifelong obsession with the Alien. Even now, I can't really play Alien: Isolation because anytime you go into a vent and hear something scrambling around in the dark ahead of you, The Fear hits at 100mph.

Anyway, there's been nothing since then that's come close to affecting me in the same way, with the possible exception of Audition. When I finally saw The Exorcist I just laughed because it seemed like a skit from Father Ted.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The toxic waste disintegration in RoboCop has been touched on. I first saw a heavily edited and pretty tame TV edit. At school the next week, the kids who expanded on what the video release was like sounded like liars due to how wild their claims were, so when the melting actually happened when I rewatched the film, it was like experiencing that bit where the guy in Mullholland Drive is compelled to walk through his own unravelling nightmare outside the diner.

This made me generally queasy about melty body horror (in general it was fine if I didnt know it was coming, like in Jason Goes to Hell) if I could only imagine what it would be like in the film. My local video shop released a newsletter for members and I remember they censored the cover of Body Melt. This was the worst possible thing for me, because I had months of sleepless nights imagining what might be under that censor bar, when the truth was it was nothing particularly bothersome.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The toxic waste scene in Robocop never bothered me as a kid, but I couldn't watch the puke scenes in the Fly. Less because of the body horror aspect than because I was a sympathetic puker and it nearly set me off.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The Fly is a great horror film (and Cronenberg is awesome at body horror) but I never thought it was all that bad. The themes it brings up are terrifying but the visuals never had a huge impact on me.

Alien keeps getting brought up and unfortunately, I saw Aliens before I saw the original. After watching Marines kill xenomorphs en masse, the original didn't have the same fear factor. Granted, the first is a master class on claustrophobia, isolation, and fear of the unknown but that surprise had already been spoiled. I wish I could have seen Alien when it came out.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
Horror movies were my favorite even as a really little kid and I never scared easy, but hoo boy did Zelda from Pet Sematary gently caress me up in a bad way when I was like 10. Like screaming in sleep nightmares a couple of nights in a row.

I'd read the book beforehand but in my mind's eye she was just a sick little girl with a bit of the crazy eye before I saw that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The loving junkyard song in Brave Little Toaster should be prosecuted as a war crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I don't know if this counts as loving me up but, I saw The Serpent and The Rainbow at too young an age. For months afterwards my brother and I would play act the torture scenes, complete with "I wanna hear you scream."