Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I saw Robocop when I was 6 or 7. Murphy getting blown up was bad but the thing that stuck with me was the guy at the end that went through the acid bath. It was his cries of anguish that haunted me for some time, especially when he kept saying "help me" to his one thug buddy. The way he disintegrated into a pool of mush when hit by a car sealed the deal. He was a bad guy, I knew that even at 6, but nobody deserved that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's tough to explain to the uninitiated that have only seen toys and stuff and thought it was kids poo poo just how hard Robocop owns.

Oh, no doubt. It's an absolutely S-tier satire of the whole genre while simultaneously being a superb action flick. One of the best "pure 80s" movies of all time (tied with Predator, for me).

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Cannibal Holocaust is easily one of the most disturbing films i have ever seen. That and Earthlings which is way more horrifying because it is a documentary

Fun fact Cannibal Holocaust is often regarded as the first found footage horror movie made and the guy who made The Blair Witch Project said that if he had seen Cannibal Holocaust before making his film he probably wouldn't have made it but I can't remember why

No one sees Cannibal Holocaust because they want to. They hear about it from somewhere and curiosity gets the best of them. It's basically a snuff film in that it gives you this "I shouldn't be watching this" vibe. Even a desensitized husk of a human being that I am felt unnerved.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The Fly is a great horror film (and Cronenberg is awesome at body horror) but I never thought it was all that bad. The themes it brings up are terrifying but the visuals never had a huge impact on me.

Alien keeps getting brought up and unfortunately, I saw Aliens before I saw the original. After watching Marines kill xenomorphs en masse, the original didn't have the same fear factor. Granted, the first is a master class on claustrophobia, isolation, and fear of the unknown but that surprise had already been spoiled. I wish I could have seen Alien when it came out.