Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Maybe all you nerds should just have better vision :colbert:

*said as I squint at small laptop screen, having put off going to the optometrist for a number of years because I don't want to face my deteriorating body and what that signifies about my inevitable mortality*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm trying to think of a joke where somebody comes indoors and the punchline is 'i'm just transitioning' in reference both to their eyewear and moving between genders but i'm not sure it's funny at all or worth the effort so here you go

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
My brother wore transitions for a while. And can confirm he is a super dork. A dorkus malorkus in fact.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Biohazard posted:

Maybe all you nerds should just have better vision :colbert:

*said as I squint at small laptop screen, having put off going to the optometrist for a number of years because I don't want to face my deteriorating body and what that signifies about my inevitable mortality*

I got lasik and have 20/15 vision op

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's interesting that only nerds wearing them seems pretty universal. My theory is that certain kind of nerds privilege utility way above any fashion concerns and dont understand that sunglasses and regular glasses usually have different shapes.

That's why you'd see dudes roll up to MtG tournaments in cargo shorts with a carabiner on the belt loop and transitions lenses: its a utility fetish.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 17, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bradzilla posted:

What is the LASIK procedure like, and what is recovery like?

I like wearing glasses so I probably won't do it, but I am curious.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

bradzilla posted:

gently caress if I'm letting some quack cut into my eyeballs while I'm awake. It only really effects reading of certain things, not anything like driving. I probably just need some glasses to wear while I work.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Sometimes i wear sunglasses inside shopping malls because i couldnt be hosed fumbling around in my bag to get my regular glasses if i'm just walking through and will be outside again in 2 minutes

I hope people dont look at me and think i'm a douche :sweatdrop:

The good news is, it's not the glasses

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Biohazard posted:

gently caress if I'm letting some quack cut into my eyeballs while I'm awake. It only really effects reading of certain things, not anything like driving. I probably just need some glasses to wear while I work.

That's PRK.. Lazik is non-contact and driven by a computer program.

So it's more like letting a robot burn your eyes while you're awake.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

like in a fun way?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Witch doctors recommend dropping some acid before the procedure to enhance the visuals

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Big Beef City posted:

The good news is, it's not the glasses

Aw dang :smith:

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

grillster posted:

That's PRK.. Lazik is non-contact and driven by a computer program.

So it's more like letting a robot burn your eyes while you're awake.

The only thing worse than trusting a doctor is trusting that some computer toucher coded this thing not to burn a whole through to the back of my head.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

That's why you'd see dudes roll up to MtG tournaments in cargo shorts with a carabiner on the belt loop and transitions lenses: its a utility fetish.

gently caress, if you don't count the MtG stuff, this is non-ironically me.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

YeahTubaMike posted:

They give you a "don't care" drug and put the laser up to each eye. You don't see or feel any thing. It takes five to ten minutes. Your vision is better right away. I could tell the change on the car ride home. You are sensitive to light for a while and will see halos around light sources for a few weeks, but that goes away and you have great vision... for$5000 out of pocket (at least for me)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

gently caress, if you don't count the MtG stuff, this is non-ironically me.

Toss on a bucket hat with molle loops on the band and brother you're ready for anything*

*walking into Taco Bell or looking at things in a park

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
PRK is also no contact these days, I've had it done.

If you do Lasik they'll still put a knife in your eye to make a flap, in PRK they just scrub the top layer off.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Universe Master posted:

They give you a "don't care" drug and put the laser up to each eye. You don't see or feel any thing. It takes five to ten minutes. Your vision is better right away. I could tell the change on the car ride home. You are sensitive to light for a while and will see halos around light sources for a few weeks, but that goes away and you have great vision... for$5000 out of pocket (at least for me)

Wow, that sounds kind of awesome. I have like, 20/60 vision or something like that (edit: -1 in both eyes, if that helps), so it's definitely not worth it, but still. Also, holy hell that's a lot of money.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 17, 2020

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

They probably never caught on because depending on age, you get lumped into certain stereotypes:

• 0-11 Probably wears polo shirts with gym shorts. Shirt is tucked in and shorts are pulled up to nipple-level. Takes piano lessons. Only eats chicken nuggets or soft foods. Probably carries an Epipen.

• 12-18 Member of junior high or high school band. Terminally online, reddit atheist. Tries to impress girls with Dragonforce lyrics or quotes from school shooters. Smells like hotdog water and clove cigarettes.

• 19-Death They either slowly become Walter Sobchak, a serial killer, a hardcore libertarian or a mix of the three.

Best thing to do is to have 20/15 vision naturally like me, op. You may be able to buy eyeballs from the dark web with bitcoin, but ymmv.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

When I got lasik I was given Valium beforehand to help me sleep because I was supposed to keep my eyes open during the surgery, I couldn't sleep at all until it was time, thankfully I still managed not to gently caress it up but I sure was sleepy afterwards. They only used local anesthetic for my eyes so I could hear the laser and smell burning eye while they were doing it. It was awesome getting my eyesight back but it's since gotten worse so I have to wear glasses again. That was about 10 years ago though, I'm sure it's gotten a bit better since then. I was also too young for it and was told so but still wanted to go ahead, and of course I'm a nerd who looks at screens all day

My mom also got lasik and they hosed it up, it happens rarely but it can happen. She had to go back several times to correct it, and it was such a pain in the rear end that she eventually gave up, she wears glasses now too.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

About a half hour before the procedure, they put numbing eyedrops in my eyes and gave me the option of a low-dose valium or standard dose of claritin. I took the claritin so I would be sleepy enough to nap after the procedure. Then they do the final eye check and lead me into the operating room. I lay back on a table, which moves underneath the lasik apparatus. There's a blinking green dot directly in the center, with red lights on the side and bright white lights in the periphery. They taped my eyelids open, then lower the apparatus to one eyeball. It's got a lot of pressure and keeps the eye from moving. From here, the surgeon slices the cornea and makes a flap. I could literally see this as it was happening and my heart was beating out my loving chest. Now they tell you to look directly at the blinking green dot as they begin the laser correction. This took maybe a minute or so, and after a few seconds started to smell like burning plastic. That was the laser working its magic my eye. When finished, they do the same thing to the other eye. Then they remove the apparatus and tape from the eyes. Ask me how I'm feeling and if I can stand up. They hand me a pair of sunglasses and tell me to have a nice day!

The first 6-8 hours after the procedure, my vision had the effect of being underwater. Like I could see, but it was blurry at the same time. They tell you to go home, and sleep for 2-4 hours during the initial recovery. I did this, and woke up from my nap. What they don't tell you, is after sleeping, your eyelids will stick to your eyes and it will be a little difficult to open them. Think of when you wake up with crusty eyes, but 10x worse. My vision had improved, but not to a perfect level. The morning after is when I truly noticed the difference. I woke up and turned to look at my alarm clock, which was crystal clear. Before, I had to squint to see the time. From here, I had to start taking steroidal and anti-bacterial eyedrops, 3 times a day for the next 2 weeks. And you're not to touch your eyes, literally at all for the next 6 weeks. That's basically it for the initial recovery period.

From there, assuming your eyes have healed healthily, they tell you to reverse course and touch your eyes literally as often as possible. When the cornea is cut, it severs nerves along the incision line. This makes you blink less than normal. So I had to practice shutting my eyes tight and opening them several times a day. This helps to promote the nerves to regrow. Touching your eyes and rubbing them helps to restore the natural lubricating oils.

From there, basically all you have to do is use eyedrops when the eyes get dry. And that is the one possibly detrimental side effect. My eyes would get very dry every now and then and it took about a year before that more or less went away. I got lasik with a lifetime guarantee, so as my vision shifts again I'll be able to get a touchup procedure down the road, so long as I have a regular eye exam once a year, and have it forwarded to the eye surgeon. 100% worth it for the 20/15 vision I have now.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My dad got it done years ago and when they went to slice off the top layer of his eye they missed and cut his entire body off and now he's robocop

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

I was thinking about making a joke about "transitioning" between male and female, and then thought "No, maybe I should go with the old 'TRANSITION' this into a good thread!" first post, but I couldn't make up my mind which one I wanted it to be and it got stuck somewhere in the middle and just looked terrible, op.

same.

Transition lenses never took off because there were no rockets attached and the cost of HRT is too high

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

They never went away with my parents, who have rocked them for like 20 years.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
modern lasik uses the same laser to make the flap, no blades. ive got a sweet video of mine and its gross watching the doc try and pry the flap off after the laser toasts it

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I have a some transition lenses for my Jawbreakers. They're great for cycling in the evening and I use them when I ride my scooter to work to keep all the city crap from flying into my eyes.

They're good, op, just wish they went a bit darker.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The only person I know that used transition lenses was a kid in school named Ben Doorflinger, and he was like 17 dating middle school kids. That told me everything I need to know about transition lenses.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

The procedure gave me a panic attack. It seriously sucked rear end.

The recovery is just sleeping the rest of the day and you can't rub your eyes for a month.

Edit: like Universe Master said they give you a don't care drug but make sure they give you enough. They have me like 0.25mg Xanax and it did literally nothing.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 17, 2020

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I did it 4 years ago and they must have had the laser only procedure. And had enough drugs in me to be completely chill.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I just had a neurosurgeon in Argentina make some tweaks to my brain, so I don't perceive the blurriness. :smugndar:

Only side effect was that chicken now tastes of F# aeolean.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Colonel Cancer posted:

PRK is also no contact these days, I've had it done.

If you do Lasik they'll still put a knife in your eye to make a flap, in PRK they just scrub the top layer off.

:gonk: God no this why I’d rather keep wearing glasses or contacts. Imagine if there were complications and they had to cut into your eyes more and you end up blind.

That’s why I never got it done irrational fears.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

DropsySufferer posted:

:gonk: God no this why I’d rather keep wearing glasses or contacts. Imagine if there were complications and they had to cut into your eyes more and you end up blind.

That’s why I never got it done irrational fears.

I didn't have complications during the procedure, just after :pwn:

Still pretty happy about results.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
lasik was like one of the only good decisions ive made in my life but i was still terrified of becoming a statistic like that lady that is functionally blind due to firmware problems in a new machine model or something

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My middle school math teacher was had lasik when it was relatively new and actually showed us the footage of her eye stuff getting lasered and peeled. Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My middle school math teacher was had lasik when it was relatively new and actually showed us the footage of her eye stuff getting lasered and peeled. Gross.

yeah my video is great. when the laser makes the flap it burns bubbles at a certain depth like a dotmatrix printer and when its done it looks like a glassed over zombie eye or something from a horror movie. then the doc slips a tool underneath it and rubs it around to peel it up. its amazing

also i was shocked to see the doc doesn't wear gloves when he's loving with your eye flap and that's the norm i guess