Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Sindai posted:

lol I never noticed you only need to power the totems to leave each map. I nullified everything on every one.

It depends on the map, but it appears that typically you can either nullify everything or power all the totems.

It's a good change from a design perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Olesh posted:

It depends on the map, but it appears that typically you can either nullify everything or power all the totems.

It's a good change from a design perspective.

It's a little more interesting than that:

On each map there is a list of required/optional objectives. Once you futfill all the required ones you can leave.
HOWEVER. the time score for each objective is actually tracked separately, which means...yes you can have competitions on fastest time to specific objectives which can tier a map nicely.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder what other objectives they come up with.

Also, for Mark V Sample, I noticed the towers connect to those... solar panel things? At the top left of the map. 5:26 in the video.

Does that do anything at all?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like your turrets seem to last longer in the creep than in the other games. I dropped a handful on an emitter and it effectively locked it and the surrounding creep, while they had ammo. I had two groups alternate and had enough time to build pylons to the emitter and zap it down. Building a pylon towards it is a little hard unless your group is stretched to cover the pylon site as well. Better to have a pair clear a path.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah my strategy is to just select my entire gun mass and move it into creeper, then carpet up to the new safe area with towers. You might lose a few at the front each time but since you run a big energy surplus on most maps most of the time there's no reason not to constantly be building dozens of sacrificial blasters and mortars.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 20, 2020

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

:siren:
Ruins Repurposed (18:11)

As has been said, this is a recyling of a CW3 map, Meso I believe. It's still a good one though. Also the Factory debuts, which is useful in more ways than can be seen in the demo.

You said that the AC robots need help to clear out the creeper. That is incorrect. Just like in the CW3 version of this map, you can beat this mission with out using a single weapon, aside from nullifiers. It's even possible to win with only a single nullifier. In fact, it's easier to leave after nullifying one emitter and charging the totems than it is to nullify all emitters without weapons. Still, totally doable.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I'd have to see that to believe it. On one run I just let it go for a while with max AC automatons and no shooting. The level of creeper on the map was still increasing. Slowly, but it was still going up with no help from me.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I really liked the meso remake, despite having to take some time to adapt to new mechanics. The whole line of sight on tower connections is messing me up a bit, maybe he'll consider making them use overhead arcs in some cases?

I really don't like having to janitor my miner placement, though, I'd really like to have all subtlety removed there. It's not like I'm making relevant decisions alocating back and forth, I'm just trying to carpet as efficiently as possible and the game is fighting me with a rotatable mess that only mines in half its footprint.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 21, 2020

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

I'd have to see that to believe it. On one run I just let it go for a while with max AC automatons and no shooting. The level of creeper on the map was still increasing. Slowly, but it was still going up with no help from me.

As requested. Ruins repurposed (No weapons): 28:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4AzbY_G5Q

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Sindai posted:

You might lose a few at the front each time but since you run a big energy surplus on most maps most of the time there's no reason not to constantly be building dozens of sacrificial blasters and mortars.

It just messes with my psyche to sacrifice weapons that way. I generally feel, even if it's not connected to reality, that I've done something wrong when I allow anything to get blown up.

carbon dioxide posted:

for Mark V Sample, I noticed the towers connect to those... solar panel things? At the top left of the map. 5:26 in the video.

I assume, but didn't test it out, that they give you a small additional energy boost.

General Revil posted:

Cool. I see what I was looking at now; I didn't realize the one emitter was close enough to the second shield to be nullified, so I was dealing with more creeper than necessary. That's probably why I couldn't reduce it. Well done!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

No word on when, but from the conversation on discord it appears that another demo level is likely at some point. So I'll keep an eye on that and ... we'll see.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Strategic Sage posted:

It just messes with my psyche to sacrifice weapons that way. I generally feel, even if it's not connected to reality, that I've done something wrong when I allow anything to get blown up.
It does look like any structure you make now has a soul.

As an aside: You can sacrifice your base by dropping it next to your suicidal turrets as a final powering move and it does the Particle Fleet teleport when it takes too much damage.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

Cool. I see what I was looking at now; I didn't realize the one emitter was close enough to the second shield to be nullified, so I was dealing with more creeper than necessary. That's probably why I couldn't reduce it. Well done!

Thanks. This is my inner CSM fan wanting to play it like a CSM map, and not like a CW4 map. I'm now stupidly giddy for what CSM maps will be like in CW4.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

General Revil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4AzbY_G5Q

That sound you thought was trees blowing up is actually for when units (mines) complete building and start coming online.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 21, 2020

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, thank you. That's good to know.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Before Time (37:08)

I did something dumb again - go figure - and this didn't go live this morning like it was supposed to. But it's there now. The last of the demo missions introduces the IMO excellent concept of waves which should really be able to shake things up, esp. when the usual suspects get ahold of them in custom maps.

Up Next

Some sort of thing on the easter eggs. The exact form it takes is undecided based on what people have to say - did a blurb about it at the start of this video. Then back to the previous games for ... however long.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I hear the update with the 8th demo mission should be released some time today.

E: If you want to get a sneak peak of the 8th mission, the dev is doing a stream on the steam store page right now.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 21, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Guh, that fast?? Ok so I guess I'm recording another mission then first.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
When I played this mission I tried to rush up to the middle canyon not knowing the waves would overflow it, which made the beginning of the map very exciting.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If you are quick about it, you can contain the wave in the middle canyon.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
New map is interesting, but I still don't know what that rotating inhibitor thingy does.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Xarn posted:

New map is interesting, but I still don't know what that rotating inhibitor thingy does.

If you watched dev livestreams you'd know that it does 2 things:

1. It enables the "reclaim" victory condition.
2. It causes trees to spawn around it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Xarn posted:

As far as I can tell from the previous map that featured it map 1 easter egg it's just a thing that activates when you complete the Reclaim objective. I've not checked out the new map yet, though, so maybe that does more with it?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Regallion posted:

If you watched dev livestreams you'd know that it does 2 things:

1. It enables the "reclaim" victory condition.
2. It causes trees to spawn around it.

And the trees give a slight energy boost.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I thought the inhibitor also slowed the flow of creeper around it. It appears I was wrong.

Day of Infamy (26:07)

It seems I started this map off differently - arguably worse - than most people are. But it worked, darn it, and there's plenty of people finding themselves unable to keep the temple alive so at least there's that. Breeder Terrain is new here along with returning versions of previous mechanics; including blobs/spores no longer randomly firing but targeting specific structures which is fun.

Up Next

Unless something else shows up, the easter eggs. Lots of people want to see 'em all, so I've got work to do.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

This is probably also a good place to talk about the fact that I'm not doing blind runs of these anymore like I did in the previous thread. As I discussed a few times over there, for quite a while things had turned into more of ''dude, you did these things wrong' instead of talking about the game or the level itself. As much as I enjoy, and a small minority of others said they did as well, going in blind and doing the fail-revise strategy-fail again-revise again lather-rinse-repeat routine, it's clear that was an obstacle to people enjoying the game much more often than not.

This doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly become good at Creeper World, but I am going to go in knowing what's coming as the plan for the future.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Enemies aiming at your stuff honestly feels easier than when they do not, at least you cannot get owned by some spore aiming somewhere in your backyard without missile coverage and the deposited creeper then flowing down onto your buildings.

---e---

Ah, so you can keep the temple alive. I completely misjudged how powerful the creeper spawning terrain would be, so when I noticed just how much creeper there already is on the bigger island, I didn't get there in time... This did turn the mission into a bit of a slog. :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 22, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Huh, I had no idea the pyramid could be destroyed. I rushed pylons to it, lost them when I realized I had to stop the creeper in the south from spilling out, then retook the area with suicide mortars/cannons before it died.

Actually I left it alone for quite a while, but barely any creeper flowed up onto the plateau. Maybe I was saved because I built a few mortars that were just barely able to hit the square next to it from my island and that kept the creeper flow in the area low enough.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

Actually I left it alone for quite a while, but barely any creeper flowed up onto the plateau. Maybe I was saved because I built a few mortars that were just barely able to hit the square next to it from my island and that kept the creeper flow in the area low enough.

As far as I can tell it's immune to creeper, but a single bug will kill it. So there's a lot of luck involved in whether they pick it as a target or not.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I found that at a certain point the blobs would beeline for it pretty consistently. That's why I spent so much effort finding locations for two Snipers up there.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

My formula for keeping the temple safe was a pylon up to it from the south's black area, then two mortars on either side, a blaster on the left to handle spillover or spore leakage, then three snipers up front for blob disposal. I had to build a soylent tower near the front to get power to everything, but rebuilding that every now and then wasn't a big deal until I had enough missile coverage.

I really like the breeder ground. I really, really like it. That's exactly the kind of obstacle coupled with snowball effect that tickles my fancy.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, Mission 1 secret can be easily cheesed. Clear out the creeper beforehand (doesn't need to be perfect), then cover the map in towers. When the base respawns, you'll get the reclaim objective almost immediately. I actually didn't realize I got it when I played, and I needed to look back to this thread to see what was up.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Easter Egg Hunt (43:33)

A tour through the easter eggs in the demo. Just a brief demonstration of a couple of them, but I did the whole mostly non-cheese process of the first mission. I don't plan on doing any more demo videos barring more content coming out.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The reason for 21 snipers is that the hint for unlocking this egg was some of the lyrics from a greenday song which featured a line "21 gun salute", hence the number.
Also snipers can snipe the eggs before they pop so.

EDIT: The Reclaim objective is also present in map 8.
Also TBH the reclaim objective is faster than either nullify or totems, depending on % required, so.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 23, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Why I'm Not Jumping Ship

I don't know if posting this in my threads is the right thing to do. I would prefer just to keep them focused on the LPs themselves - that is after all what I do here - but with some of the rhetoric being tosed around I don't want people to get the wrong impression of my perspective here.

Everyone should do what they believe is best - if that means you don't want to participate with anyone still hanging around SA, do that and I wish you a great life. But I will decidedly not be part of the bash-Lowtax bandwagon. Here's why:

** This should go without saying, but the behavior that's been alleged is inexcusable and wrong.

** It's not my place to judge Lowtax. That's for others to do. If guilty, I hope he gets punished for it.

** Me leaving SA would not punish Lowtax. I've never contributed to his Patreon or directly interacted with him in any way.

** For me to leave because I didn't want to be associated with the website due to these allegations would be grossly hypocritical for two reasons. One, I know for a fact I consume products every day from companies who do far worse. I put gas in my car. I buy clothes and food. I support reform in how many industries are permitted to do business, but the point is stack up the evils perpetrated by those organizations to what we're talking about here and it's not close. And I'm not even buying anything I haven't already bought from Lowtax. It's not at all clear to me, contrary to rhetoric from a lot of corners right now, that there even is a moral component to doing business with those who do things we don't like. If that's the case, might as well outlaw all commerce right now.

** The second reason is I'm not any better than Lowtax. I've never committed those kinds of violent acts he's accused of, but part of that is probably me being a rank coward and possessing rampaging social anxiety. I certainly know I have done a great many things in my life I'm not proud of. For me to self-righteously point fingers while knowing the people I've hurt through my own selfish stupidity that I would erase in a hearbeat if I had the chance - I don't, all I can do is try to be a more noble person with the rest of my life - would be absurd and dishonest.

So here I am, continuing on. Not in support of Lowtax, but in support of the community here that has given me far more than I could ever return to it no matter what I choose to do, and because it has value for me. I also believe that forgiveness and grace are among the greatest values, and I extend those to others just as I would hope they would extend them to me when I am an unmitigated asshat.

Feel free to make whatever judgements you wish, but I'm not going to turn my LP threads into a debate.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got the rest of the CW games because of your LP.

edit: I bought the rest of them when I posted. Only had the first game before.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 26, 2020

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I think you've mentioned that before but it's much appreciated; that's about the best I could hope for in terms of having a positive effect with a LP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I know it has been a very long time, but while playing through CW3, I came across a map where the creep generators disappeared from the map, but creep continues to spread where they spawned. Did I somehow turn off viewing the generators? I can't build the destroyers to find them.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Sounds like it might be on those ... I think 'slip emitters' they were called? There were some maps where creeper would just get generated at a location without a physical emitter there. In some cases there was a source emitter in another location, in others the emitter was just invisible and you had to figure out where it was just by where the creeper was coming out and nullify it that way. One of the Alpha Sector maps was I think called the Ocean and caused me some delays by doing that.

Otherwhise I think I'd just need to look at the map, I don't think there's a visibility option for the emitters but I'm not 100% certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Even More Rooms (2:43:16)

Before you gasp at the length of this, I just want to point out that I'm significantly under the median time here. This is one of those maps, by Chaz who did a number of 'Rooms' maps for Creeper World 2. I studiously avoided these when I went through that game. Herein is illustrated why. It's a slog, you might say. The game engine is maxed out just over halfway through the level, followed by an epic confrontation between Dark Beams and SuperDrones that take several minutes to kill and pose a real threat to losing the mission at the end of it.

Up Next

Back to CW3, where ... if I can ... I'm going to tackle one of Sorrontis' most infamous creations; Field of Glory. There will be pain.