Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It looks like he's increased the gel coefficient of the creeper from earlier more water like physics to the previous games' consistency. On the one hand, that makes it easier to not bone yourself with explosives, on the other hand I kind of liked the possibility of boning yourself with explosives. I expect modding that is going to create some amazeballs scenarios though.

The recorder I like.

Complications fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'd wondered if the story's writing was going to get any better this time, and thus am I answered. Creeper World is always going to have :allears: story.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I haven't had any issues with things just not functioning; my advice if something isn't building or getting energy is to click the button called visible on the right hand side of the screen, then check 'all lines' to get the CW3 effect of all connections being visible at all times. I do that anyway because I'm used to it, but I can understand the differing default UI. I know that the cell size especially at far zooms is smaller than previous Creeper World titles, so if you're dropping something at the edge of its range it's easy to twitch it one cell further and you'll never realize because the energy connections aren't visible by default until something starts to go through them.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think you should do the mission 7 easter egg for masochism's sake and aside from that meh.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Okay, so on the map 1 easter egg:

You don't need to clear creeper first, the emitters aren't that bad. To get to a stable point you can push out from on Mission 1, place your blasters so as to cover your inner ring of emitters from the get go. Once the two blasters land where you have to place them and you can move your command center again move them back instantly and drop the command center into deep creeper. Your blasters should have enough charge for the 10s respawn timer to not be an issue, then you respawn and can re-place them. Build two-three more blasters then. You'll want to have enough blasters to have at least one able to fire on any point in a circle around you.

After you respawn, build towers up to the north-northwestern high point and plant a mortar on it, place another mortar to the east, and a mortar to fire on the northern crater. You can then carefully re-expand to cover your plateau to the east and south. If you've done it right, the creeper should be just barely covering the hills north and east of your mortar on the high ground, and you can expand over that. You'll have enough power to start expanding however you like afterwards.

The problem with mission 1 isn't that you don't have enough power to re-expand, the problem is that you'll expand slightly too far and the ring of creeper will creep its way in.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

My formula for keeping the temple safe was a pylon up to it from the south's black area, then two mortars on either side, a blaster on the left to handle spillover or spore leakage, then three snipers up front for blob disposal. I had to build a soylent tower near the front to get power to everything, but rebuilding that every now and then wasn't a big deal until I had enough missile coverage.

I really like the breeder ground. I really, really like it. That's exactly the kind of obstacle coupled with snowball effect that tickles my fancy.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I took a crack at the map, and gave it up as a bad job most of the way through. There's hard maps, long maps, and then there are exercises in gratuitous masochism.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

I wonder, if you bother to watch the end of it, were you really close to the end or did you just think you were? As I mention in the video, the ease which you can lose this map from an 'almost finished' position makes me think the avatar shouldn't be a dog but the guy in the pot from Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy.

I was most of the way through the process of grinding through where it renders the terrain into void in lines on something like attempt #4. I hadn't preset being able to nullify everything at once and I'd just gotten into position to nullify the top left respawning emitter when I finally called it quits. Looking at the solution video afterwards, I was somewhere around 2/3 of the way through the map, since I would've immediately "won" that stage before it went mobile. The mobile stage I'd've had issues with, since anticreeper would not be my first, second, or fifth thoughts.

The two stages after the mobile one wouldn't have been an issue. Thousands of creeper per second are only a problem for people who don't have batteries of Berthas ready to go, and I'd long since diversified the position of my reactor farms.

Complications fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 17, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

:siren:
Shaka (44:33)

Dust off your 90s popular sci-fi references for this, the new Creeper World 4 demo mission. A new victory condition, the return of walls, and other changes & enhancements arrive.

Bit of a release date news from the discord - they are officially saying now it will be sooner than next summer for the full game release. How much sooner they aren't saying yet, but the popular wisdom seems to be Februaryish.

This one required a restart from me. I drastically underestimated the amount of creeper the digitalis conveyed. I thought it was going to be like CW3 digitalis with only delivering a trickle of creeper and... uh... definitely not. Two mortars and a cannon sealed it up and kept creeper off of the main island on run #2 but I got proper rekt the first time because I thought two cannons would be sufficient.

I like the new minimap functionality. I do wish that the blob death noise wasn't the same as building destruction though.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Creeper Comeback (1:00:20)

Thanks for the suggestion. In addition to what you said here, I thought this was well-balanced in terms of requiring you to be intelligent about how you attack, and making it useful to switch to spores at certain points. I would definitely rate it as the best PAC map I've played so far,

With regards to the island attack on the lower left, you just need to not use a field that starts at the emitter. By the time you get down there one cannon can't stop a mostly unfocused emitter of that magnitude and the lack of field will ensure that there's a massive target well behind the front line for the Berthas to aim at. I never used more than a couple spores at a go, the first few to break into the lower left island and the next to build a digitalis bridge from it to towards the bottom middle. Sliding into it from the bottom meant bypassing most of the defenses on it too.

Sometime after you get the island on the lower left, if you're all in on emitters burst mode is actually less powerful then normal mode. Keep an eye on the creeper/second and you can spot the shift. The reason why is that burst mode has a limit on how fast it can fire off and it never gives out more creeper per burst when it meets that limit. Normal mode just outscales it.

edit: now that I'm remembering a bit more it out scales literally at the point where you have the same creeper/second as burst mode. No big surprise I guess.

Complications fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 17, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

CW 2.5 Predicament (14:33)

One of Grabz's maps that is a hybrid of games, using CW3 but scripted to present CW2 mechanics. It definitely messed with my head for a while. As usual for CW3 maps though, sufficient quantities of always-on Sprayers and Mortars solve most of the problems presented.

Entirely for the sake of being contrary I mostly forewent sprayers in both of my attempts. A combination of mortars and cannons in large numbers was sufficient to stop the creeper dead and push it back, even in the middle (that was a solid wall of mortars with a layer of cannons below them and another layer placed over the top after the creeper broke through though). The creeper on the flanks can even be stopped with a single cannon for each hole, if it's kept from building up via mortar. Sprayers obviously made it a lot easier, and I built a couple for the final push into the emitter rather than reenact the advance of the cannon line for the nth time. I didn't use always-on mode at all, though I did have a few at the bottom sucking up excess anticreep and sending it back as ore on general principle.

My first attempt I severely underestimated how much creeper could build up and its descent rate which cost me the run after the bit on the left made its second breakthrough. My second run was when I built a couple mortars to see if they could shoot over terrain, and then I spammed those out which dealt with the problem nearly in its entirety.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

That looks pretty sweet. It also looks like the Creeper has some new and unpleasant things to do to us which I look forward to getting rolled by.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I can only anticipate and dread what Sorrontis is going to do with all new tools and enemies to build upon, along with what looks like even better dedicated mapping/modding tools.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The game, reasonably: I think you might have enough mortars already.

Me: Oh no, I seem to be suffering from an incredible shortage of mortars. More mortars will solve this problem!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

We Know Nothing (16:36)

First of the new missions, and it can vary quite a bit in difficulty based on your approach.

I didn't get the totem up, and I also underestimated the initial push. Three cannons and three mortars with the temple providing AC was laughably insufficient to stop the initial wave. I built a tower right behind the final wall which could feed the temple, and built a line of mortars behind it. That stopped the creeper cold just before the wall and let me push it back.

I also ended up moving a bit further forward than you did so that I could bombard the islands from the mainland with several mortars rather than using a mortar on an island. Admittedly, this was because I initially thought that the big rocks were creeper spawners that were transporting the creep over so I'd need to commit to a more serious assault instead of there just being that set amount of creeper on them.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

We Were Never Alone (21:28)

So .. uh.. more stuff happens? A couple of familiar foes from the past here, Spores and Mesh.

Just so you're aware, distance wise it's much faster to build towers out than to build pylons out. If you're rushing something by all means backfill pylons in to get the high ground but you'll want to execute the rush via towers. This is backwards to CW3 where relays could get you to a location faster than collectors.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Hints (25:39)

Internet was down last night and most of today, which is why I didn't post this here sooner. In any case, Sprayers. Lots of Sprayers. And the Creeper has a new trick for us. It's not very nice.

You say that the mortars just bounce off, but that's not really what's happening. Examine crimson creeper under fire more closely - it takes two hits to crush it rather than one and a small layer is left from the bottom. Note what happens between 17:13 and 17:16, as well as at 17:25 - 17:50 or so in the right most crimson creeper area which takes multiple hits - the level lowers quite a lot. When I first saw it I thought it was because the stack was mostly composed of regular creeper, but a closer examination in later areas revealed this to be untrue. Crimson Creeper is genuinely just resistant, not immune, to fire whether that's mortar or blaster.

It can also be seen that a bunch of crimson evaporated 22:25 - 22:40. I think it has to do with where the crimson comes from and if there isn't a creeper connection to the origin it stops being crimson much like digitalis/mesh needs a connection to emitters.

Strategic Sage posted:

Serious (19:17)

I said something wrong in this video - at least one thing. You can't harvest crystals that are submerged in Creeper, though it appeared to me at the time that you could. This is and other issues will be corrected - I have a pinned message on this video to that effect.

I'll be redoing the next map with a 'Sage Screwups' section clarifying and/or correcting info. Some of it has come from this thread, some from discord. Priority build, harvesting, better use of Pylons/Towers, and those white squares for placement will be all briefly covered. Keep letting me know what I get wrong as you're able and willing ... enough of this stuff has accumulated at this point that I think it's worth the time to do a bit of cleaning house, as it were.

Interestingly, building is more energy intensive than ammunition supply from what I've seen. If you're in the black while building everything then you're fine for supporting it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Archon (8:47)

It's raining Creeper ... literally. This is the CW4 version of Choix from CW3, meant to be won using shields. Only in this case, it's more single-minded; weapons are *entirely* optional.

It should be noted that unlike Choix which introduced shields in CW3, in CW4 shields are actually a defense against the exotic kind of creeper spawn in the map that introduces them. I applaud this improvement in game design and actually like the level for its gimmick.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'm just waiting for the skimmers to pick the right approach vector to jump up and hurl their post-death EMP piece straight into your turrets even though you're covered.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Sequence (41:52)

No more plot stuff to argue about, even from the first of Hale's info caches. The start is a lot tighter than previous missions though and it takes some time to get going. It's easy to get sidetracked by eggs, skimmers, and blob on this map, but if you defend carefully and patiently it's fairly trivial after the initial setup.

Something you might consider for platforms is using them for fixed position shore bombardment. That tactic mostly obviates bombers and porters on void maps, unfortunately. You don't need so many extra beacons if they're surrounded by platforms with guns on them either.

Also, unlike with CW3 Berthas will keep firing on empty ground. They don't have a feature to stop shooting if there's no creeper in the target area.

DTurtle posted:

On that mission I immediately went for the island in the bottom right of your start with a relay. It has all these outcroppings that are perfect for placing a single tower and then snipers and mortars (and missiles once you get Redon). That lets you get a ton of energy (and Bluite) up very quickly, making the rest go a lot faster.

Yeah, I did too. It's less fiddly and with less waiting to do it his way though and I can see the point, especially for video.

Complications fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 17, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

OneWingedDevil posted:

The alternative - remember the funny little note I mentioned earlier that eggs that explode over a shield don't cause a creeper spike? That applies *under* the shield as well. If you build a shield and nestle it next to a spore launcher, you can safely pop the eggs coming out of it without worrying about creeper overwhelming the shield, and since spore launchers don't actually emit creeper your shield and nullifier will be perfectly safe. Since I went for all objectives in each mission, I beat my head on some of the spore launchers there until I gave that a try. It could have helped in the last couple missions, but I figured I'd wait until you got to the mission where it clicked for me to spoil that trick. It may not matter here, but it can be used in the final mission as well.

Son of a submariner, I knew that eggs didn't explode on shields and never added that together with spore towers.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DTurtle posted:

Just as a comparison between our approaches, this is what the autosave tells me I had shortly before the end of the mission (ignore the creeper, for some reason the autosave didn't include the nullifiers).

Autosave does include nullifiers, but it saves after the rift lab jumps out so you've got until everything runs out of power if you load back in. Note that none of your towers have green by them.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I actually did have to do some pixel hunting for the epilogue mission for that one objective, but also had to figure out why my pixel hunting seemed to be complete but the number wasn't going up at all. It took me a bit to figure out, but after examining the underside of a pylon I twigged to it. I had to move a nullifier too, lol. Maybe I'm just slow.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

The future of CW4 & me is very much up in the air, and I mean that seriously - my strong impression is that most people who want to see the game couldn't give a crap about playing it well, but I know the community here is different. If people are just like 'eh, we've seen as much CW from you as we care to' then I'd prefer to hear that blowing sunshine up my arse or whatever.

If you like playing it, I'm willing to watch it. You play the game differently, but that's not a problem. I like comparing and contrasting my playstyle with others. If you want to go into Chronum or Span Experiments, cool, if you want to wait a bit on this until 4RPL comes out and the community starts digging into that in earnest then that's fine too. I've been watching your other LPs but don't have much to say on 'em. I bounced off of Imperium Galactica pretty hard but I was also pretty young so that's fascinating to learn about, and your AI War series isn't normally my speed but it was soothing to sort of nap to back in early 2019 when I had a nasty allergy attack and half of my face consisted of rash. Please don't take that as an insult to your AI War series. It genuinely helped.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Regallion posted:

98 - the depths. I heard you like eggs.

If you do this in a completionist style do it before the patch goes live. Offensive shield use against eggs is about to get nerfhammered and nullifying that one spore will be a real pain in the rear end without it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Regallion posted:

That change was actually reverted and outside of an additional visual nothing changes about eggs and shields.

Thanks for correcting me. I'm glad, that gives shields a significant use outside the obvious.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Ever After (36:14)

I'm curious if others used the 'My Base Is A Porter Parking Lot' approach or did other things instead. It's now also time for any deluge of Colonies map suggestions etc, while I detox my brain from CW stuff.

My plan was with the amazing starter energy to just push conventionally and see what happened. I ignored the possibility of porters and just started expanding my perimeter. I got the three ERNs in the plateau initially, then ground my way to the biggest patch of breeder in the corner, and then pushed to secure the center breeder. Without spores around I didn't really need the redon, since I had pylons and could just move my rift lab to the middle when the distance started causing issues. I made some microrifts at the end on seedless terrain and moved my rift lab back to the plateau, but other than that it was just a conventional mortar supported by cannons and snipers attack on my part.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I started similarly to Inward Chaos with regards to the early microrifts and also flattened the northwest mountain barrier to the beam. After picking up the creeper shaver, my midgame phase was a massive porter assisted drop into the creeper breeder to the northwest. It took two tries before I got the timing right to get the turrets dropping in just as the creeper got shaved down to size. After clearing that, there wasn't enough creeper to stop me pushing to get the rest of the objectives.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'd say give the FPS levels a pass for now. It's an interesting concept but it needs development.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Agreed. It takes ages to lower the creep.

One thing they could do is make it more FPS like, by introducing moving enemies and such. Perhaps repurpose the AC robots from the pyramids level to be enemies or something.

Perhaps it could even be said that the idea needs time to gel. :v:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Let Blue Rain (1:02:28)

Dipping into the Mark V procedurally generated missions, and decidedly at the deep end of the pool. A couple new enemies are here, but it's mostly the volume of creeper on a small map along with the Skimmers and Eggs that provide the most pain here. There are many hostile threats with which to contend.

You got some grief from eggs spawning from spore launchers you were nullifying; I recommend building a shield and plopping it down beside the spore launcher(s) between egg spawns to prevent this. It'll get stunned briefly like a skimmer landed nearby when spores pop out, but it'll also keep eggs from depositing creeper when sniped. There was a map with two sets of three spore launchers right beside each other I played and it made a lot of difference.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

That would have helped some, although moving around shields on this map would have been a pain, but FYI they don't prevent eggs from depositing creeper, they just don't deposit as much.

The eggs deposit creeper in a radius in cells that don't have the shield on them. If you place the shield close enough, the amount that gets popped out is at worst extremely tiny. If it's not nothing I've not noticed. That said, I don't tend to use shields in general. I just place one near the spore tower I'm trying to nullify and then move the shield to the next tower when I'm near it. I've also used this to snipe out a bunch of eggs on a plateau by a spore tower too. I usually lose the shield in the latter case, but the amount of creeper that gets spawned is a fraction by the time the sniper turrets are done skeet shooting.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I think CSM-196 would be a pretty good example. It's not got the tower chip mechanics which are hit and miss in my opinion, it performs well, it's not got any nasty surprises halfway through to harsh the general chill of the genre, it's not a three hour slugfest, and it's got several fairly satisfying points of crushing the last several emitters all at once after liberating the rest of the section that you can stop on and come back if you just want to play and chill for fifteen-twenty minutes and have made tangible progress each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

Holdem 2 (56:54)

A somewhat infamous map, generally considered the hardest in the Span Experiments. Speed is not optional.

This is the one map in Span Experiments where I pulled off a successful start after three tries, got partly into the nullify objective, reviewed the creeper++ timing, and then settled for a totem win. It's quite the map.