Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo! CW4. I got the demo downloaded as well and got the five story missions done. I am stupidly eager for this.

Not to be too nitpicky, but for these last two videos, you've really gone mortar heavy. Same rules apply with mortars in CW4 as they do in 1 and 3 (and 2 with rockets). Cannons are better for low level creeper, and for pushing it back. Mortars are best for deep creeper pools. Both mission 3 and 4 would have gone better for you with more cannons and less mortars.

The next mission is by far my favorite of the demo, and it's a CW4 version of the CW3 official mission that I've replayed the most times.

Easter eggs: Yeah, definitely go back and get the easter egg. Is it confirmed that the Easter eggs are on missions 1, 2, and 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had the same problem with map 1. I'm going to retry by killing almost all the creeper, and leaving just enough to sucks the control center into.

And yes, it's completely possible to clear out the creeper on mission 1 with just your given units.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

:siren:
Ruins Repurposed (18:11)
:siren:

As has been said, this is a recyling of a CW3 map, Meso I believe. It's still a good one though. Also the Factory debuts, which is useful in more ways than can be seen in the demo.

You said that the AC robots need help to clear out the creeper. That is incorrect. Just like in the CW3 version of this map, you can beat this mission with out using a single weapon, aside from nullifiers. It's even possible to win with only a single nullifier. In fact, it's easier to leave after nullifying one emitter and charging the totems than it is to nullify all emitters without weapons. Still, totally doable.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

I'd have to see that to believe it. On one run I just let it go for a while with max AC automatons and no shooting. The level of creeper on the map was still increasing. Slowly, but it was still going up with no help from me.

As requested. Ruins repurposed (No weapons): 28:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4AzbY_G5Q

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

Cool. I see what I was looking at now; I didn't realize the one emitter was close enough to the second shield to be nullified, so I was dealing with more creeper than necessary. That's probably why I couldn't reduce it. Well done!

Thanks. This is my inner CSM fan wanting to play it like a CSM map, and not like a CW4 map. I'm now stupidly giddy for what CSM maps will be like in CW4.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, thank you. That's good to know.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, Mission 1 secret can be easily cheesed. Clear out the creeper beforehand (doesn't need to be perfect), then cover the map in towers. When the base respawns, you'll get the reclaim objective almost immediately. I actually didn't realize I got it when I played, and I needed to look back to this thread to see what was up.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scalding Coffee posted:

That looked like a fun map.

It really is. I'm glad SS got around to it.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK, that map is really, stupidly annoying. If it weren't for the drone chasing the ship though, I think it looks quite fun. The only thing I'd add is that for really narrow corridors that have rooms next to them, mastering the art of rift missiles can let you pack the corridor with blasters and a single rift, and then have all the launchers in the next room shooting missiles. It gives a much higher volume of fire, and it can also give you a longer range (instead of being limit to the launcher's range in one direction, it can be in front of the rift, and the target can be even further forward. Useful for shooting deeper into creeper. It doesn't double your range, but it can get close to it.

As for that CSM map, I think you did it in a better way than I did. I just started at one of the corners and moved the HQ and terps to the other corner once I was as far done with that one as I could be. I didn't use guppies aggressively until I was almost close enough to connect the corners anyway.

Also, hooray. I caught up just in time for CW4 to be released tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo. I'm going to need to get this after work today.