Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hi guys

Thanksgiving is 5.5 months away. I started wondering...

WHAT. THE. gently caress. DO. WE. DO.

Some of you have a 90 year old granny that you want to keep alive. Some of you might have family that just came back from a Las Vegas resort and you don’t want to risk catching the roni from them. Some of you, like me, throw Thanksgiving parties for friends who can’t be with family. If you hate mom and want your inheritance early, skip this thread

Here’s the plan I have in my head right now:

For the 2-3 days leading up to Thanksgiving, cook all the different dishes and refrigerate.

Pack full meals into takeout containers, making the entire meal foods that are good hot. Cold foods like cranberry sauce or pasta salad are out.

Friends/family come pick up the meals and go home

Eat together on zoom, get drunk, play jack box

Questions: what is the best disposable takeout container that’s also microwaveable and is configured to be easily eaten out of the container?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Kebabs but eight feet long.

Nothing but popcorn thrown into your mouth.

Lady and the Tramp style noodle eating except with two different noodles.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BigHead posted:

Lady and the Tramp style noodle eating except with two different noodles.
So, like, normal eating?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Finally a reason to not loving go. It'll be great! Best thanksgiving ever!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm probably not going to do Thanksgiving with my family this year. They've already demonstrated they can't be trusted to take precautions. I'll probably do my "friendsgiving" on Thanksgiving this year and open it up to my 10 or so closest friends and let everyone know "if you're coming, please isolate for the two weeks beforehand" so that we can actually sit around the table without worrying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The idea has been thrown around by friends that we can go to a parking lot and have a tailgate party in our respective cars

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 19, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

The idea has been thrown around by friends that we can go to a parking lot and have a tailgate party in our respective cars

At that point why bother though? If I'm going to do Thanksgiving I want to be able to sit around the table and talk without yelling and eat/drink without having to put the mask up and down. It helps that everyone in mind for the guest list is in walking distance and I do all the cooking anyway, but the price of admission this year might just be two week quarantine so that we can just enjoy ourselves with the small group we can muster.

Really I'm more worried about Christmas than Thanksgiving, because that is with my extended family and a bunch of them are chuds, and is much harder for me to get out of.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyvL5k1p9Q

Alright guys, here's the plan

I'm going to cook 20-25 takeout Thanksgiving dinners. All my friends are going to come pick up the meals on my porch, take it home, reheat them in the oven and then we'll eat them and get drunk over Zoom

Using 8x8x2 foil takeout containers

MENU:
Deep fried turkey (using EverCrisp and CrispCoat starches to hopefully keep them crispy longer
Smoked cured ham from Olympia Provisions
Modernist macaroni with Jarlsberg cheese (bonus lactose free)
Vegetarian stuffing waffles with Beyond Meat (I already don't like it and think Morningstar fake sausage patties were better)
Some potato dish I haven't decided yet
Some sweet potato dish I haven't decided yet
Roasted brussel sprouts
Some green veg like maybe green beans I dunno
Corn cassserole

Got a second fridge to store all the food:

16 bags of stuffing waffles cooling (portioned out to one waffle each)

Anyways, since my own family cancelled Thanksgiving out of concern for keeping my 77 year old mom alive, I'm going to have my friends collect these meals, eat and zoom together on Thanksgiving day

IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRAVEL TO FAMILY FOR THANKSGIVING: the news is recommending that you start quarantining yourself starting this coming monday. Avoid other people as much as possible from Monday until Thanksgiving.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 14, 2020

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I have nothing to add because I'm primarily a lurker and I also suck but I wanted to say that I enjoy seeing the cool poo poo you guys end up making for the holidays every year. Discovering stuffing waffles was a real game changer and it put everyone else in my family to shame. They're mostly dicks so that's cool.

Keep it up and thanks for the inspiration!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I brine turkey should I brine it whole or can I cut it into parts and brine?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

If I brine turkey should I brine it whole or can I cut it into parts and brine?

You can brine in parts. Same result.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You guys talk about brining every year. It's pointless. If you want to improve the moistness and flavor of your meat, get this and inject your meat.
https://smile.amazon.com/Ofargo-Sta...06050205&sr=8-5

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno, I made Ad Hoc chicken and the brine was very prominent in it

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Steve I know you well enough, just spend the $30 and try it yourself. I know you like to tinker with stuff, just try it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I already have one, maybe I’ll inject gravy into the turkey

Then my friends will be like where’s the gravy

And then they bite into the turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8nii-Kn3_w

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For foil containers that are 9x9x2 and full of food, what’s a good reheat temp and time?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

For foil containers that are 9x9x2 and full of food, what’s a good reheat temp and time?

Do you have a spare one? I'd just fill it with something about the temperature you want to give away and test it out like that. Like just fill it with cold noodles and sauce or something and test the middle every 15 minutes.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

My husband and I live on the opposite side of the country from our families, so for the last several years we’ve done Thanksgiving locally for friends. It’s always hyper traditional and fancy because I’m into that sort of thing.

We are having over a small group of friends in our social bubble and have asked everyone to quarantine for two weeks ahead of time (and to refrain from socializing for two weeks afterwards to be doubly sure we don’t contribute to spreading this poo poo) and will take other precautions around the house like periodically opening the windows and running box fans to clear the air, using disposable hand towels in the bathroom (and keeping bathroom windows open - too bad if it’s cold), masks on during food prep, toothpicks for appetizers, etc.

Due to the shortage of small turkeys, we ended up with a 19lb monster for like... six people. I guess we will have a buttload of leftovers and a huge carcass for delicious stock. We could have tried to order a smaller fresh one to pick up, but we wanted to limit our outings as much as we can. Otherwise we are making a menu of traditional dishes, including molded cranberry jelly (I am not a fan of the can-shaped jelly log).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m sure there are local places that would love to have extra food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

At least it wasn't your countertop!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Sharpen your knives less?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My cleaver kinda sucks, so I used a rubber deadblow mallet to hammer it through the bone. Turns out the deadblow is WAY strong

I liked using the deadblow because it didn't create splashing and was very controlled compared to just using a cleaver

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I think you just need a more sturdy cutting board:

I really wish I had space in my kitchen for one of these, but in our remodel we’re going for the next best thing, which is 4” end grain butcher block for the island countertop.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Queen Victorian posted:

I think you just need a more sturdy cutting board:

I really wish I had space in my kitchen for one of these, but in our remodel we’re going for the next best thing, which is 4” end grain butcher block for the island countertop.

Those things are so goddamn expensive, if I managed to get one I'd find a way to make the space. My FIL has one of these that his wife jokes "you just need to be patient".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Four cookie sheets of Brussels sprouts roasting, breasts from two turkeys chopped up into 6oz portions and sous videing before I cook them and deep fry them. Meat glued thirty chicken thigh skins onto the portions

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Where did you get the skins?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Costco pack of chicken thighs that I used in gumbo and borscht

The skins are raggedy as hell but I hope they have the wow factor when people bite into it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I fry them tonight do you think the skins will survive being refrigerated overnight

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

If I fry them tonight do you think the skins will survive being refrigerated overnight

Just provide clear reheating instructions to keep the skin crisp

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What’s the best way to reheat? They’re in 9x9 foil pans with foil covers. Oven with cover on? Poke holes? Cover off?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Macaroni

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oops, I made a whole gallon of turkey broth so rich it set like jello.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nothing oops about that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm only cooking for 3 people this year but they had so many necks/backs/wings at the store I couldn't help myself. Probably because they're charging $2-2.50/lb for them now since they realized they're the best parts.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I always look forward to making turkey stock in winter (usually with discount turkeys in January) because I absolutely prefer it to chicken stock. I'll usually fill up 1/3 of my deep freeze with delitaners of the stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Post-mortem: Made 32 full meals in half size steam pans, of which 23 were picked up on Thanksgiving and 9 more will be picked up tomorrow.

My original plan was to bread the turkey, but then I happened to have 30 chicken skins and meat glued them instead. For the most part they got soggy after being refrigerated overnight. I’m always gonna wonder what could have been if I breaded them instead.

Chicken skin has a remarkably different taste than turkey skin, and it doesn’t become apparent until you bite into turkey and taste chicken skin.

Jarlsberg cheese macaroni turns rock hard when refrigerated

I thought Brussels sprouts became better because of better cooking techniques, but learned while cooking them that somebody actually bred all the stank out of them decades ago. Still, the stank kinda comes back after it’s been refrigerated overnight.

Wore a mask on the last day of cooking/assembling and used the foil pans and told everyone to reheat in the oven as a final virus kill step, under the assumption that I could be asymptomatic/presymptomatic. Some people dumped it into the microwave anyways (Asians)

The idea that I could have used 8x8 foil pans seems laughable now

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 27, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's pretty awesome. Love the waffles.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Your thanksgiving dinners never disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man I really tried to make those chicken skins work. I patted them dry, fried them, put them on cooling racks in a cookie sheet rack in front of a box fan to cool and dry them, and yet they were soggy the next day

Maybe if I told everyone to take the turkey out of the steam pans and reheat in the oven uncovered but a lot of them are people who know absolutely zero about cooking