Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Hardspace: Shipbreakers is an Early Access game where you cut up and salvage derelict space ships to pay off the staggering amount of debt you've accrued just by existing.

Operating in a zero-G environment, you navigate around and through ships in your salvage yard and figure out the best way to take them apart. Salvage as much as you can as quickly as you can before your 15-minute shift is over! Use your cutter and saw to cut through panels, detach structural links, and try not to hit active fuel or coolant lines. Your grapple allows you to manipulate loose objects and can be used to slingshot yourself far faster than your thrusters, but watch out not to swing into a wall!

Larger ships bring greater dangers as explosive depressurization, active power systems, and massively dangerous (and valuable) reactors require careful extraction before they go critical. Death is never the end however, as you will be cloned (for a nominal fee) should you meet your untimely demise.

As you accrue cash to pay off your debt, you also earn LYNX company credits that you can upgrade your tools, scanner, and suit. This allows you to cut more quickly, increase your grapple strength, and give you larger oxygen reserves to reduce the number of fill-ups during a shift. You can eventually buy your own equipment to avoid rental charges at the end of each shift!

Official Site:
https://hardspace-shipbreaker.com/
Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Watched some videos on this yesterday after a couple buddies who don't know each other both picked it up.

Looks awesome, but do you ever leave the confines of your mothership and float out in free space breaking derelicts? The cutscene intros made it look like you do, but I couldn't see gameplay that showed it off.

Also, this game is just screaming for coop with more complex and coordinated breaks.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm hopeful that in addition to paying off your debt you can have opportunities to buy some nice things for yourself like a ship of your own or your own hab. The possibilities are limitless, they could have it run a bit like Euro Truck Simulator in that you could run your own scrapyard.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
It's really fun. Once you get to class 4 ships the real game seems to begin.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Finally, a thread for this game!

Looking forward to some goon impressions because I've not had chance to play this yet despite buying it already.

The early access looks super barebones atm though. Hopefully they add to it quickly and open up modding. I find the survival and popularity of niche games like this relies on early mod support!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I've played three hours. It's chill. I've only broken up little shuttles so far, there's a few variations but they're basically the same design. It's having me repeat breaking these shuttles to level up to unlock, poo poo, more shuttles? I'm getting faster at them but also it's getting a little samey. I wonder if there's any actually unique spaceships I haven't seen yet

Oddly, it's not best to completely break up each ship. The game only wants me to salvage the reactor, a battery and a couple of bulkheads on each to get points for tool upgrades. Doing more doesn't earn points. I'm breaking them up completely anyway, but it really just means I'm progressing slower

I'm getting what I want out of it, which is a chill game to relax in while I listen to podcasts. I've only blown myself up several times

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Super chill, right up to the point where you realize you forgot to depressurize when dewelding those last few reactor bolts and the ship explodes in your face.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just picked this up, it's good fun even in this early stage! Already learned the hard way that your cutting laser can be reflected by certain surfaces, which may well end up igniting that fuel tank over there. :shepface:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Watched some videos on this yesterday after a couple buddies who don't know each other both picked it up.

Looks awesome, but do you ever leave the confines of your mothership and float out in free space breaking derelicts? The cutscene intros made it look like you do, but I couldn't see gameplay that showed it off.

Also, this game is just screaming for coop with more complex and coordinated breaks.

So far, not yet. It's less a mothership and more of a sort of drydock in space where the ships you break get spawned into. But there's already various logs and knicknacks floating around in the ships, so the potential for rooting through a mysterious derelict in deep space is certainly there if they want to add it at some point.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bandaid.friend posted:

I've played three hours. It's chill. I've only broken up little shuttles so far, there's a few variations but they're basically the same design. It's having me repeat breaking these shuttles to level up to unlock, poo poo, more shuttles? I'm getting faster at them but also it's getting a little samey. I wonder if there's any actually unique spaceships I haven't seen yet

Oddly, it's not best to completely break up each ship. The game only wants me to salvage the reactor, a battery and a couple of bulkheads on each to get points for tool upgrades. Doing more doesn't earn points. I'm breaking them up completely anyway, but it really just means I'm progressing slower

I'm getting what I want out of it, which is a chill game to relax in while I listen to podcasts. I've only blown myself up several times

Salvaging more of the ship gets you more credits, paying down your debt faster and giving you a bit more of a buffer if you screw up and blow valuable parts of the ship.

Breaking down the Mackerels does get kind of tedious, but honestly the point of the game is learning to be more and more efficient with your salvaging. Anybody can take three shifts to slowly cut a ship apart piece by piece. The true skill is going to come from figuring how to do that quickly, tearing off huge chunks of the ship at once, and figuring out the fastest ways to get the valuable components inside without blowing them up. By the time I got my rank 6 cert, I was breaking a Mackerel down almost entirely in one and a half shifts. Never did figure out an efficient way of removing an airlock though.

If you're getting tired of the shuttles, just bear with it till you get to the next rank of ships. Geckos are a wholly different beast. The true Hardspace: Shipbreakers starts there.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game is really awesome and i cant wait to see where it goes. the potential with bigger ships and designs seems amazing.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Putting 'pick up' on the same button as 'push poo poo forward violently' is working as intended.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beef posted:

Putting 'pick up' on the same button as 'push poo poo forward violently' is working as intended.

The true danger of unions right here.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is 1080p really the only supported resolution? This looks pretty sweet but that's kind of a weird limitation these days for a game with good graphics.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just spent a bit over two hours in freeplay meticulously cutting a Station Hoppper Gecko apart and ripping out anything of value inside it before , and aside from a fuel tank mishap that blew up two out of three thrusters and accidentally sent a big chuck of nanocarbon hull into the furnace, I manage to pretty much salvage every single kilogram of it.

I wish career mode (or at least the easiest difficulty of it) didn't have the 15 minute shift limit. It kills the ability to explore and familiarize yourself with the ship, and free play mode makes you entirely invincible, so it's no substitute either.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Is there a way to safely remove fuses? Even if I use the grapple on them first, they shock me when releasing them.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Beef posted:

Is there a way to safely remove fuses? Even if I use the grapple on them first, they shock me when releasing them.

You have to eject the fuse when the light that’s next to it blinks off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bold Robot posted:

Is 1080p really the only supported resolution? This looks pretty sweet but that's kind of a weird limitation these days for a game with good graphics.

At the moment yes but I think it's more bug than support, the UI scaling is clearly broken in an unintended way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Airlocks are the devil's own goddamn job to separate cleanly and quickly :argh:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Bishop Beo posted:

You have to eject the fuse when the light that’s next to it blinks off.

Aaaaaaaaa!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this looks like it will be a really interesting game when it is finished.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ciaphas posted:

Airlocks are the devil's own goddamn job to separate cleanly and quickly :argh:

I just fling that poo poo into the furnace when all I have left is it and the aluminum frame. Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I fry nanocarbon on company time.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've found that airlock compartments are pretty easy to separate from the from the nanocarbon exterior hull with the splitsaw. After that it's usually just a couple of metal beams around the edge of the internal airlock doorway that needs to be cut for it to come clean off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God, it took me altogether too long to realise you can just pop off the cockpit or engine compartment entirely and access the space between the hulls from there. My dumb rear end always cut awkward holes into the interior hulls until now. :downs:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Game is good as it is, but has the bones to be truly great.

The style is loving awesome, as well. The intro is very well done, IMO.

What I’m saying is buy anything that says BlackBird Interactive on the tin.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah rear end end of the ship usually makes a nice access points. Mackerels come off super cleanly and just expose the whole cross section, Geckos have to be teased apart by tethering the two side sections laterally to the dock itself and then once the pieces are clear of the rest of the ship you can send them to processing, otherwise they get hung up. Most of my geckos are also a nice square box in the back so the engines and reactor are easy, but the front section is just a huge tangled mess of keels and multiple airlocks.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've found that the fuel tanks attached inside the rear end of the geckos tend to clip into the hull immediately and explode once pulled loose, so that sucks, especially as there usually at least 5 of them there

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Really hoping this gets some kind of timelapse cam. I remember an interview saying full on replays don't work with the physics system, but having a dock cam take a picture every 10 seconds or whatever seems doable. Level 7 and stopped for now after doing every ship variation however many times, more variations will be welcome.

Best I've done is 4.7 million in one shift.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Early on you definitely don't want to spend too much time on a single ship because it becomes diminishing returns pretty quickly once you strip out the valuable parts.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah I still think the time limit is good for making you push the pace a bit and think outside the box for efficiency. For example...

Broke:

Woke:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Training mission 2 - I shoved a piece of aluminium that had some blocks titanium stuck to it into the processor because I couldn't separate them. It said "Deposit not accepted" but I'm not sure if it took the titanium. Did I miss something and there's a way to separate them?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Perestroika posted:

God, it took me altogether too long to realise you can just pop off the cockpit or engine compartment entirely and access the space between the hulls from there. My dumb rear end always cut awkward holes into the interior hulls until now. :downs:

:stare: oh my god damnit

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

AndrewP posted:

Training mission 2 - I shoved a piece of aluminium that had some blocks titanium stuck to it into the processor because I couldn't separate them. It said "Deposit not accepted" but I'm not sure if it took the titanium. Did I miss something and there's a way to separate them?

It's just telling you that some of the materials went down the wrong tube, but there's no penalty for being wrong, just a payout for being right. The valid ones were processed fine. It's usually not worth the time to separate things down to the last strut, I don't care that there's a single aluminum panel on my 2000kg engine hull plating that I ran into the processor.

I finally went and looked at the numbers, aluminum in furnace is 12 per kg, polycarbonate to processor is 45 per kg. Also all the polycarbonate pieces are also usually much more bulky and aluminum is thin skins and struts. So in almost all cases you want to process any mixed sections you have until you get to the very core of the internal rooms that are all aluminum. Those you splitsaw and throw in the furnace, but it's still not close by payout or by weight compared to the outer hull pieces.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 17, 2020

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

AndrewP posted:

The intended parts are still processed. You can separate them with some fancy cutting, but it's not always possible to do so cleanly.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks.

I've been looking for a new podcast game and this seems pretty much perfect.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's perfect for podcasting until you nick a fuel tank and the whole thing goes kersplooie before you can even cut off an expletive

That said, a few minutes ago a decompression of just the airlock chamber blew off just the airlock and little else, which let me finish that ship probably a whole shift early. damage boosting :woop:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Thanks.

I've been looking for a new podcast game and this seems pretty much perfect.

Be prepared to learn a good object lesson in why you shouldn't listen to podcasts while operating heavy machinery.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
is it bad that I am imagining them adding ships of war that need to be broken down and having to deal with weapons and missiles and maybe even battle damage?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

stopgap1 posted:

is it bad that I am imagining them adding ships of war that need to be broken down and having to deal with weapons and missiles and maybe even battle damage?

Not bad but now I think about it I'm not sure what you'd gain from a gameplay perspective either. Volatiles like exploding ammo, arcing electric weapons and pre-damaged components (say) don't really need the militaristic bent for a lore excuse to take em apart (and already exist in the form of fuel lines, those bastard batteries, and procgen on the ships, anyway :shrug:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Controls-wise, I'd like a way to wind-out something on the grapple line (and re-tension the line at the same time), the way you can wind it in. Outside I can push it away then grab again to move something a short distance, but inside the ship in those initial cuts, moving the 'tweenhull plate out of the way? No thanks :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Some tips from playing:

When you are grappled onto something, the right mouse button lets you pull. Which if it's small pulls it to you, but if it's large pulls you to it. Which allows you to move incredibly rapidly, since you can grapple onto things from almost the entire map.

Charged push is incredibly dangerous and will wreck you if you use it on something you can't move.

You can melt things that aren't break points such as cockpit glass, pipes etc. The splitsaw also works on breakpoints and is much faster (but be careful near airlocks!).