Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
That is actually really interesting. Not being an engineering tech myself is there a good term to google to learn more? In game it kind of felt like a cop-out but early access hand waving was good enough.

StarkRavingMad posted:

(edit) did it three times in free play on cargo geckos with no incident. Remove one or two floor panels, pull the little fuel canisters, then vent the thrusters. Two out of the three attempts had one thruster vent badly, but it was the middle thruster each time. Possible that a side thruster could still ignite something, I don't know, I could have gotten lucky but it still seems fairly reliable. On the other hand, I don't know why anyone would really screw with this as opposed to just buying the key for 50k.

Like I said, I thought it had those issues. The thruster in the mack, in the previous RACE anyhow, always melted down so I kind of assumed it was the case for all the thrusters in the current version. Unless I want to try differently, which isn't often, I just use keys on all the geckos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

These kinds of mass produced keys that all fit the same lock are quite common. For that matter, there are single, identical keys that are used for this purpose in almost every industry right now, and will unlock everything from breaker boxes to police cars.

Not sure if they've changed it, but I used to have terrible luck with the manual venting on the thrusters, I would get one thruster destroying another almost every single time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aniviron posted:

These kinds of mass produced keys that all fit the same lock are quite common. For that matter, there are single, identical keys that are used for this purpose in almost every industry right now, and will unlock everything from breaker boxes to police cars.

Yeah, Lock Out/Tag Out locks are insanely durable because they have to withstand crazy conditions, but most of the time have a simple flat key. And you usually can’t get the key out without closing the lock, so it even makes sense that the ones in this game are single-use.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just picked this game up after seeing a stream. I'm enjoying it so far, but I decided to try the controller controls rather than mouse and keyboard and immediately discovered "Grab Left" and "Grab Right" by accident while looking for the brake. This is where my character reaches out with their arm and grabs physical objects as though to brace himself for a collision or pulls himself along with his arm. This is different than using the Grapple device, as well as being different from the Interact button to activate airlocks, etc. What are these used for?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can feel pipes to check if they're still full, or grab something so you don't get blown away by decompression. You can also alternate hands to pull yourself along the walls if you run out of fuel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Grabbing can also be used like a brake when you're traveling along a wall or to ride something large that's moving without using fuel. Grabbing and using thrusters while holding then releasing a small object and also give you a finer touch or aimed at directions you'd need to spend 5 seconds spinning around to shoot your grapple in the right direction.

Basically it's the turn me and this object into one physics object with the same momentum button, where the grapple keeps you independent objects and applies forces in certain directions.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the responses. I just noticed something else. I had a ship half-done, and closed the game to do something else. When I came back it says "no ship in bay". What controls whether the ship remains? Do ships only last per 'session' of game play before I shut it off?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, if you quit the game, the ship's gone.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

BBI Erik posted:

06/26/2020
The feature to save/load a ship between game sessions is not implemented. If you quit the game, your ship will be lost. This is expected behavior for the time being.

Reformatted quote straight from the discord. It's something they'll get to sooner or later. On the other hand there's plenty of ships to replace with. They recently patched out some of the most bothersome issues so things are moving along nicely.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah not a huge deal, just wanted to be sure it wasn't something else. Thanks.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Grabbing onto surfaces also lets sound reach you better which makes stuff like the timing/audio cues on popping fuses easier

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Salvage Geckos coming
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1161580/view/2910970427674793297

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I picked this up on friday, and I'm enjoying it, but I think I was expecting bigger and more maze like ships, and only 6 hours in I've already picked up on the fact that by far the most efficient and profitable way to finish a ship is to rip out the reactor/engines and then yeet the entire hull in as few pieces as possible into processing.
There doesn't seem to be much incentive to carefully take an entire ship apart as with the 15 minute timer I'll make less money than it costs me to go to the next day. The balance is pretty odd and seems to be trying to discourage playing it carefully.

I haven't unlocked the next ship yet, but it looks like there are only 2 ship types in the game so far, is that right?.

I went to town on one ship meticulously pulling everything apart, but then being told I lost money is pretty annoying. I get the narrative purpose of the massive debt and making it feel oppressive, but maybe increasing the reward for pulling out individual objects and a multiplier for processing/furnacing 'pure' pieces without another material contaminating them would be a better solution. It's kind of sucked out some of my motivation to play it. i know this on me for not watching streams (I guess that is mandatory these days?) but I thought i'd be exploring and carefully pulling big/complex ships apart, not feeling like it have to rush through slicing the same old tube in half every session.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's quite easy to pull a mackerel apart and fill your work orders of little bits and pieces in a bit over ten minutes so the timer doesn't really matter for the small ships.

As for bigger it sounds like you haven't unlocked geckos yet. Do that.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I picked this up on friday, and I'm enjoying it, but I think I was expecting bigger and more maze like ships, and only 6 hours in I've already picked up on the fact that by far the most efficient and profitable way to finish a ship is to rip out the reactor/engines and then yeet the entire hull in as few pieces as possible into processing.
There doesn't seem to be much incentive to carefully take an entire ship apart as with the 15 minute timer I'll make less money than it costs me to go to the next day. The balance is pretty odd and seems to be trying to discourage playing it carefully.

I haven't unlocked the next ship yet, but it looks like there are only 2 ship types in the game so far, is that right?.

I went to town on one ship meticulously pulling everything apart, but then being told I lost money is pretty annoying. I get the narrative purpose of the massive debt and making it feel oppressive, but maybe increasing the reward for pulling out individual objects and a multiplier for processing/furnacing 'pure' pieces without another material contaminating them would be a better solution. It's kind of sucked out some of my motivation to play it. i know this on me for not watching streams (I guess that is mandatory these days?) but I thought i'd be exploring and carefully pulling big/complex ships apart, not feeling like it have to rush through slicing the same old tube in half every session.

They specifically created a fourth profile option without a timer and option to turn off the o2 depletion. Giving you the opportunity to take as much time as you like per shift. It's the very first profile option.

When starting out, it costs about 500k per day in rental fees and is reduced to75k with upgrades. There isn't much incentive to tear everything out perfectly because it's essentially a chop shop. Grabbing all the lights worth $900 when there's a single item worth $3m doesn't make sense time/money wise. Would you harvest the lint in the carpet of a car if you were breaking cars apart?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Big Ink posted:

They specifically created a fourth profile option without a timer and option to turn off the o2 depletion. Giving you the opportunity to take as much time as you like per shift. It's the very first profile option.

When starting out, it costs about 500k per day in rental fees and is reduced to75k with upgrades. There isn't much incentive to tear everything out perfectly because it's essentially a chop shop. Grabbing all the lights worth $900 when there's a single item worth $3m doesn't make sense time/money wise. Would you harvest the lint in the carpet of a car if you were breaking cars apart?

I think the main issue is the only cost is time. If, say, the daily cost was 250k but it cost 1m for an unsalvaged Gecko to tear apart, then you'd be much more motivated to actually go whole buffalo on it. As is, yeah, if you want optimal play you do a day or two grabbing the valuable stuff and then trash the rest.

That's not necessarily bad gameplay but I think it would be nice if at least both options were equally profitable.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I only just hit level 6 (haven't tried a level 4 ship yet), but my issue is that I have lots of LT but nothing I'm allowed to spend them on. Yeah, they get very expensive so I don't exactly feel like I'm swimming in them, but it kinda makes the work orders feel less worthwhile if I am earning not much to help me progress.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's the main reason to carefully disassemble all the tiny bits--some certification ranks require a ton of mechanical or electrical components.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Bremen posted:

I think the main issue is the only cost is time. If, say, the daily cost was 250k but it cost 1m for an unsalvaged Gecko to tear apart, then you'd be much more motivated to actually go whole buffalo on it. As is, yeah, if you want optimal play you do a day or two grabbing the valuable stuff and then trash the rest.

That's not necessarily bad gameplay but I think it would be nice if at least both options were equally profitable.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. I think a salvage value multiplier based on how much extra poo poo that's not supposed to go in the furnace/processor would be a fun addition that would encourage much more meticulous slicing. I also like your idea of a lower daily cost but you need to buy the ship.
Could be balanced so that a day of aggressively sending stuff into the processor is about as profitable as spending 3 days carefully slicing up waste and I'd be totally happy.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
For what it's worth, the game DOES want you to feel rushed. It's trying to recreate an experience of basically every blue collar job: do you do this safe, carefully, and well, or rush to meet your lovely boss' expectations so you don't get fired?

Of course, you'll get dinged either way. You have to break rules you're supposed to follow and create waste to go fast, and it also makes you more likely to get hurt, but you'll suffer if you don't hit goals.

Idk it replicates the lovely job experience to me pretty well

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

That's also why it's worth playing with permadeath, even though the game can be unfair in EA (with suit upgrades, you can survive a lot though). I'd love for it to be a meditative, sprawling disassembly sim in addition to what it is, but I also love what it is (and it is meditative once you start to do things by rote).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the time limits stressed me out until i figured out money doesn't actually matter at all. there are infinite ships, infinite shifts, and the debt is cosmetic.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Part of it is probably also a learning curve. I can salvage an entire Mackerel without destroying anything more important than a light in under a shift now that I have upgrades and experience. Starting out playing carefully and salvaging everything felt less valuable, but now it's not an issue.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's also a mode without a timer, so you can play that if you want your zen ship-recycler game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KillHour posted:

There's also a mode without a timer, so you can play that if you want your zen ship-recycler game.

You can, but this is a separate issue. I enjoy playing with the timer because it adds pressure, I'd just like for it also to be profitable to spend multiple timed shifts on a single ship instead of grabbing the choice bits and moving on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think the intent was to make the really valuable stuff (the reactor) extremely difficult / costly to get to in a single shift, but obviously they underestimated the skill of the playerbase. I'm sure it will be addressed in future balance passes.

In any event, the work orders give pretty good incentive to go back for seconds because those are the actual currency in the game. The debt it a red herring.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Making multiple days of fiddling with crap scrap the same dollar rate as spending one day gutting expensive stuff is such a tall balancing hurdle I wouldn't hold my breath it was going to happen even if they said that was their new goal.

Anyway if you do almost anything at all during a shift your debt is not about to slip backwards.

The balance scheme is there where you gut expensive stuff for dollars and fiddly stuff for experience points but being early access the balance isn't quite there yet either since you dead end the perk tree pretty fast.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I hope to see two things eventually:
Specific objectives to only strip the interior of a ship, leaving the hull intact, meaning you can't just tunnel into the ship and toss things out.
Objectives to strip seats or lights or computers or whatever from a specific ship, meaning you can tunnel in, but you also have an excuse to just hang out and unscrew light bulbs for fifteen minutes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Challenges to leave specific parts of the ship intact would be very interesting, but they'd need to update the systems a bit as currently each piece of the outer hull is attached to the inner hull only, and not to each other.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

That's also why it's worth playing with permadeath, even though the game can be unfair in EA (with suit upgrades, you can survive a lot though). I'd love for it to be a meditative, sprawling disassembly sim in addition to what it is, but I also love what it is (and it is meditative once you start to do things by rote).

I was thinking about that when I started playing, but did it normal type. Some time in, I carved through the side of a ship and found the reactor (maybe it was something else?) tucked into the side crawlspace. Okay cool, I cleared the path through the crawlspace to shoot it down to the barge. I start pulling in it and it won't move. I pull a few more times and it starts overloading. Only now do I see it's mounted to the inside wall in some sort of cradle. So start to cut the wall out from the opposite side, trying to make a little box around the device so I can pull the reactor out into the main ship chamber (which has no top or bottom now), and send it down. I mess up the cuts, being too conservative, and it's a bit heavy once it gets moving into that main compartment. Then I was rapidly converted into vapor in a manner you can probably guess.

It made me think of Steel Battalion, another game of permadeath. Each mission, you're given a device that is sufficient for taking care of the task, and progression is tried to mission challenge and mech you're given. But here, progression is almost entirely attached to my personal convenience and time savings. I can do most everything at the start that I could do later, just faster. The only exceptions being a few visor things and the outside sound thing, and the significant one being cutting nanocarbon, which is sounds like most people think is bad anyway since it complicates deconstruction? (I haven't unlocked it yet myself, but reading that I am sort of afraid to.)

What I'm getting at is that I don't know if the convenience/efficiency-gating meshes well with permadeath, except as a flex for an entrenched player, like an SL1 Dark Souls run. Starting from zero would be a huge nuisance, but getting out of debt with permadeath on would be a cool achievement. I certainly do intend to try it, but my initial feelings that the game might be better with permadeath were wrong.

Maybe some sort of other failure state could be neat, like if demerits counted against you and you could get shitcanned? But I don't know how that ends up any different from permadeath, honestly.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Alright i'm just gonna but in with a little bit of nerd real world engineering here on the key discussion

Engineering key switches are not security mechanisms, they are merely safety mechanisms. The most basic of techs could easily bypass them should they so choose. The key switch is there so that for example during maintenance you have to lock and remove the key from the "fuel" switch and physically move it over to the "drain" switch and unlock it, as a physical action to backup what the tech should be doing with valves and switches.

Because of this there really isn't any difference in the keys, you go find your supplier and buy 10,000 keyswitches for your control panel and they all ship with 20,000 identical keys. This ironically is also practically true with things like weapon arming keys and nuclear launch keys, because if you're already at the panel that does all that you've made it through actual security features first.

A good example of this in a legitimately bad security context is elevators and emergency key boxes. If you're ever in an elevator that has some sort of limitation on what floor you can select, that's almost certainly set by a button behind an access panel in the elevator itself and that panel is likely not uniquely keyed. It's also probably over-ridden by the fire emergency key switch, which itself is also a single key common to the manufacturer you can buy on amazon. Likewise with key boxes, you know the small black boxes on the outside of a building that are required basically everywhere so that fire crews can open to get access to a building in an emergency? Rarely have a unique lock and you can buy a set of the major suppliers keys that will let you get access to those boxes and have the same level of access to a building that fire crews are expected to have.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Maybe have it be a software key with a hundred different versions that you can collect over your career. At the start of your career you have to do it the hard way, but by the end you have the full set.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I've been loving this game, but, the new salvaging class ship is not fun, and neither is the science ship in my opinion.

I love playing with the industrial gecko as I can constantly try new things with efficiently splitting up the hull. But with the stargazer or the salvage ship I just spend all day pulling out worthless scrap and sorting it. Same with the transport gecko.

I'd love to see more mackarel sized ships where they're not big, but, you can still work to perfect your salvaging technique

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If anything, I think the issue is that the Industrial Gecko comes apart too easily. Once you peel the nano-carbon all the internals parcel out nice and tidy. Part of taking apart a bigger ship should be dealing with a rat's nest of components and compartments, and all the other Geckos have to some extent.

Industrial Gecko op, pls nerf.

That said, I really do want a better way to remove large counts of redundant components. Removing the computer terminals from the Transport, or the storage bins from the Stargazer one-by-one just isn't fun.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 14, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Skippy McPants posted:

If anything, I think the issue is that the Industrial Gecko comes apart too easily. Once you peel the nano-carbon all the internals parcel out nice and tidy. Part of taking apart a bigger ship should be dealing with a rat's nest of components and compartments, and all the other Geckos have to some extent.

Industrial Gecko op, pls nerf.

That said, I really do want a better way to remove large counts of redundant components. Removing the computer terminals from the Transport, or the storage bins from the Stargazer one-by-one just isn't fun.

cut off the ceiling with all the monitors still attached, and throw that on the barge. Sometimes it will only detect half the computers and the rest will still be sticking out the top though, so you might have to do some further cutting.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Is the level 9 cutter upgrade that lets it cut through hulls a trap? I’m not sure it would add anything other than me accidentally venting a ship or cutting something vital by accident.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

beefart posted:

Is the level 9 cutter upgrade that lets it cut through hulls a trap? I’m not sure it would add anything other than me accidentally venting a ship or cutting something vital by accident.

It's not really a trap, it just changes the way you have to play. For instance, if you cut an entire side's length of cut points on a mack or gecko, you'll break nearly all the nano-carbon panels. Since they fixed the bug of broken nano panels being worthless, the upgrade isn't as troublesome. But it does create a lot of bits to clean up. There are a few people who use it but for most it just slows everything down.

Skippy McPants posted:

-snip-

Tether them together in groups of 2-4 as quickly as you can. When they're all free use 'v' to cancel all tethers before they explode.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 14, 2020

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
One way I've found to kind of put a process to dismantling a Gecko is to skin the sucker before you try to do any serious work on extracting things.
First, strip off all the exterior bits and nacelles. Pretty quick work that. Flush the fuel system too, pretty much the first thing you do anyway.
Next, zip down the interior crawlspaces top and bottom cutting off all the side panels. Don't worry about the one or two that stick, like the one the airlock's attached to. Just unzip the sides and tether them out into the processors. This usually takes most of a shift, so your income for this round is the expensive stuff on the outside and big masses of nanocarbon.

Second, peel off the nose and tail. Don't worry about trying to guide those suckers into the processors, you just want to get at the juicy bits inside: thrusters and coolant/fuel tanks. Get those out and you're about ready to tackle the reactor. Depending on which design, it's probably been exposed by now. Clear out any obstructions like keel struts if necessary, and pull off the reactor housing panels. Pop the coolant out of the ECU to flush the coolant lines, pull the reactor out and rake in a cool 3 mil for your work.

Now you've got options. There may be some bulkhead objects to salvage still, waste processors and power generators and the like. Alternatively, this is the time to cut big holes out of the floor/ceiling of the crewspace and chuck all the goodies out into the barge.

Three shifts tops and you've probably cleared most of the work orders. All the interior gribblies would be lovely to salvage with one more round, but you've got to get on to the next hulk.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Does it tell you in game how to deal with cut guards? Because I just googled it, having previously thought they were not removable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Does it tell you in game how to deal with cut guards? Because I just googled it, having previously thought they were not removable.

Yes, if you look at them with your first scanner ( I don't remember what it's called) and look at the guard it will say something along the lines of "Flammable ceramic and susceptible to damage from fast moving items."