Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So what's the secret to dealing with ships that have the space between crew compartments and hull filled with air? Using the flush air button inevitably leaves that part still gassed up. I was wondering if I was supposed to pressurize the crew compartment, cut a hole through the inner hull, and then depressurize everything, but that doesn't seem to work. Do I just gotta deal with explosive decompression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yes. I believe some violent decompression is inevitable after a certain hazard level. Use your gloves (z/x by default, I think) to grab onto a wall before toggling the door open for some added protection

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
might have to laser the door panel too to get the air out

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Caufman posted:

Yes. I believe some violent decompression is inevitable after a certain hazard level. Use your gloves (z/x by default, I think) to grab onto a wall before toggling the door open for some added protection

Yeah I can survive them just fine I just hate how it often fragments chunks of hull and destroys stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Stingering those whole big panels off on the javelin requires an upgraded laser but is the fastest way to quickly free sections of the ship from each other and also handles decompressing reasonably well.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Eschatos posted:

So what's the secret to dealing with ships that have the space between crew compartments and hull filled with air? Using the flush air button inevitably leaves that part still gassed up. I was wondering if I was supposed to pressurize the crew compartment, cut a hole through the inner hull, and then depressurize everything, but that doesn't seem to work. Do I just gotta deal with explosive decompression?

Explosive decompression only really seems to be an issue if it throws objects around, and those spaces seem to rarely have much in the way of freefloating objects. I usually pressurize the cabin with the regulator, do a once over the crawspace to look for anything that might get tossed around (and move it into the cabin if I find something), then I depressurize the cabin, hold on to something, and open the door to the crawlspace (or laser it if there's no door control). It hasn't killed me or blown up the ship - yet.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If you're not playing with shift time-limits, one useful way to deal with ships that are difficult to safely depressurize is to do the ghost ship variants of them. While the AI nodes still exist, they will randomly open and close doors on the ship, and also pressurize or depressurize compartments that can still seal airtight (You may have to blast one or two AI nodes first to activate the rest). Notably, they can (de)pressurize a compartment even if the atmos regulator in it is broken, or you have removed it entirely.

The way to go about this is to depressurize as many rooms as you can safely, then cut out a wall, window or whatever to make them ineligible to be pressurized by the AI nodes again. Then you just go about whatever other salvage tasks you can do until you hear the AI nodes have depressurized another compartment. Once you hear that, you race over there and break the air tightness of that compartment as well. Eventually all compartments should be depressurized.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I've not seen an AI node yet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Good, you should be glad.

Opening a door, vaporizing a door, or vaporizing a full aluminum panel are exceedingly safe especially if you spend even 5 seconds thinking order of operations of what will fly around and what can explode.

If it isn't safe this one time well you can just give up the shift and get a different ship.

The danger tends to come if you splitsaw breach or another small explosion nicks a compartment open. The violence is dependent on the volume of air vs the size of the opening.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I've run into two situations that made me go "well this is awkward" when dealing with depressurization.

The first was when I cut the canopy glass off a Mudskipper, peeled the rest of the nose nanocarbon away, and was left with two still pressurized crawlspaces exposed to hard vacuum. Obviously a bug, but still very bizarre.

The second, also on a Mudskipper, was when I decompressed the entire ship as best I could, but there was straight up no way to get into the crawlspaces to depressurize them. No doors from the cabin to the sides, I had to rip the whole back section off and depressurize that way. Just a weird quirk of the randomly generated layouts, I think.

e: mackeral? i dunno where i got mudskipper from

Steelion fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 13, 2022

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Popping the rear end cap off is an effective way to depressurise a Mackerel's bilges

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

GotLag posted:

Popping the rear end cap off is an effective way to depressurise a Mackerel's bilges

I've tried that and at least once gotten a reactor explosion for my trouble.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I mean the large nanocarbon piece that houses the thruster and caps off the hull, not the thruster cap

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

From inside?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My second ghost ship had three AI nodes stuck to the reactor. I was able to laser them off without blowing myself to bits :smug:

:stonklol:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Eschatos posted:

From inside?
Yes. I should have clarified, this is what you do when decompressing the main hull still leaves the bilges pressurised.

Decompression will only make a reactor explode if some loose debris hits the reactor (or hits something else that damages the reactor through area damage, like a fuel barrel or electrical item).
If the reactor's in the main hull, then there's no violent movement of debris to set it off. If the reactor's in the bilges there are no moving objects in there to set it off.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love how the large Javelin Cargo ships actually have cargo containers inside them now.

No idea how they get in or out of course.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Alkydere posted:

At the shipbreaker's yard, obviously

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Has there been any indication that there's a timeline for content updates post-release? Game could really use a few more ship classes, not to mention there's a few ingame references to poo poo like class III reactors that I'm sure are definitely safer and easier to salvage.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Alkydere posted:

There are some furnace plates on part of the nanocarbon rings that I assume are doors but are not treated like the cargo hatches/doors on other ships, in that they aren't barge parts and you have to cut them out of the ring yourself (no cut points).

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So once I've got the entire hull off and into the processor, is it reasonably possible to drag the whole inner hull into the smelter with larger ships? I'll put down like six tethers and it won't move until I chop it up into smaller bits. It takes like 50 cuts and annoys me to do so when I'm just trying to hit a quick progression milestone before moving on to a new ship.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nah you gotta cut it up into a couple or three pieces. I usually do the javelin in sections and cut up a long section toward the front into half, and then on a gecko it depends on the layout but it’s something like cockpit front half and back half.

Make sure you’ve got all the flammable poo poo out of there and just go nuts with the splitsaw when you’re down to the skeleton

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've found stingering the aluminum ribs in the inner hull to be a better use of my time. Splitsaw and demo charges leave me hunting for the 6 pixels holding it together.

I think the latter ends up faster when you get good but it's so frustrating till then.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can take a heavy cargo gecko, vaporize the glass in the cockpit, then drag the entire thing down into the barge using the 500 kg nanocarbon pieces stuck behind the fender (?) at the front. Expect tier 3 salvage goal in 5 minutes or less.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eschatos posted:

So once I've got the entire hull off and into the processor, is it reasonably possible to drag the whole inner hull into the smelter with larger ships? I'll put down like six tethers and it won't move until I chop it up into smaller bits. It takes like 50 cuts and annoys me to do so when I'm just trying to hit a quick progression milestone before moving on to a new ship.

Stuff going in to the furnace is so laughably cheap it's probably worth ignoring. Strip the outer hull then dunk the core in to the barge. Seats and terminals and stuff end up worth more.

boloney
May 29, 2021
It's amazing that they never changed how worthless aluminum is. But it's probably for the best considering how miserable it is to try to separate aluminum panels

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

Stuff going in to the furnace is so laughably cheap it's probably worth ignoring. Strip the outer hull then dunk the core in to the barge. Seats and terminals and stuff end up worth more.

Well, I typically get to the point where ~30% is left on the progress bar after I've processed and barged almost everything. Usually some junk gets left behind in the inner hull but I'll happily toss it in the furnace if it pops me another progress tier or two.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I believe the release version made furnace stuff much more valuable, at least going by my memory. Not enough for it to really be worth it time wise to completely break everything down, but I do it anyway because that's kind of what the game is about.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I play without shift timers, so there's nothing inhibiting my natural impulse to methodically take apart and sort everything into its proper bin. Any shift I don't get the 95% sticker, something major went wrong and caused a big explosion.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I plugged some numbers into a spreadsheet once when I was taking apart a Mackeral, and nanocarbon and titanium were worth about $100 per kg, and aluminum was $70.

The glass windshield was around $3400 (!) per kg, and the wires (I think it was an exo variant, so there was a lot in the crawlspaces) were around $400 per. I dunno how consistent these numbers are as you scale up the ships, though.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 14, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They severely increased the value of fuel pipes too. The piping is often worth more than the things it's connected to now.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Glass is super valuable, mostly to make dealing with the mackerel cockpit a real PITA.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I decided to get cute and use demo charges to pop the front off a Javelin from a safe distance. Sadly I accidentally left the door between the hull & crew compartments open.

The front section finished nose up which made throwing the remnants out the back and into the barge more convenient, and I managed to pull the spine apart and into the relevant holes in one easy motion once I got it down off the jacks it was stuck on, but the cloud of debris I made was too much of a chore to bother cleaning up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

zedprime posted:

I've found stingering the aluminum ribs in the inner hull to be a better use of my time. Splitsaw and demo charges leave me hunting for the 6 pixels holding it together.

I think the latter ends up faster when you get good but it's so frustrating till then.

Oh you gotta just spam splitsaw, the result is pretty jagged but very fast. Otherwise a lot of the time the furnace stuff isn’t even worth it like on a gecko you’ve probably already hit the last salvage goal, but I like to do it if I have time. But I’m not gonna wait forever on a slow tether or carefully disassemble the skeleton.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

They should have a one use item like a mega-splitsaw that you can use to split a gecko in half.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Should have an upgrade to be able to make the splitsaw a toggle that continuously cycles faster and faster until it overheats. Call it 'safety removal'

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Glass is super valuable, mostly to make dealing with the mackerel cockpit a real PITA.

with a couple upgrades to decrease their explosion radius, a vertical detonator on each side of the cockpit from the outside can get that out of there with almost no fuss and usually nothing even destroyed

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I discovered that the long nanocarbon plates of the Quasar thrusters are invincible. I got one stuck across the mouth of the processor and couldn't break it with demo charges. Whoopsie.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heffer posted:

They should have a one use item like a mega-splitsaw that you can use to split a gecko in half.
This is ostensibly demo charges but they end up even worse than the splitsaw cause it's harder to spam the get the final 6 pixels holding everything together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Didn't we have that sort of thing during early access at one point? I could've sworn there was some splitsaw upgrade that made it cut through literally everything in one go.